Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2011, 12:55   #3211
Team-BHP Support

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
This place is frequented by regulars from Hassan. Probably, the time of your visit made it look empty. It generally full in the evenings. How was the service? The last time I ate there, I had to wait a full hour after ordering the dishes to be served
Guess what, after tasting the food, I too suspected that they must be having regular customers from Hassan. You can't have such tasty food and not have customers. The service was pretty fast as we were the only customers.

Suvarna Regency was the popular pit stop in the 90s when the practitioners of the art had to drive through Hassan. Now I never drive through Hassan, therefore my focus is on highway restaurants.
Old 11th April 2011, 13:20   #3212
Senior - BHPian

When I had been to Hassan about a week ago, one guy (Vijay Das, the owner of The Rappa - and he is a Mangalorean) had recommended a place called Sangeeta Dhaba near CR Pattana. He said it is on the right side, when you are driving towards Bangalore. But I could not locate this place.
Old 11th April 2011, 13:58   #3213
Team-BHP Support

So what are the good places (Veg) beyond Hassan? If one starts early, he/she would crossing Hassan by 8-10 AM in the morning. From that point of view, one can have breakfast at either Kamat/CCD etc. But beyond Hassan, what is a good place to break for lunch ? (Again I mean veg).

Need answers for both on Shiradi and on the Charmadi side as well.
Old 11th April 2011, 14:06   #3214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So what are the good places (Veg) beyond Hassan? If one starts early, he/she would crossing Hassan by 8-10 AM in the morning. From that point of view, one can have breakfast at either Kamat/CCD etc. But beyond Hassan, what is a good place to break for lunch ? (Again I mean veg).

How about Ashritha Hotel in Sakleshpur? I'm surprised no has mentioned it in the recent past. It was the only good (veg) Hotel in Sakleshpur.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 11th April 2011 at 14:08.
Old 11th April 2011, 14:07   #3215
MCR
BHPian

Quote:

Ossur Restaurant in Sakaleshpur. Also hotel Surabhi in Sakaleshpur is good. But the problem is that these places are crowded.

I am not aware of any good options on the Charmadi route.
Old 11th April 2011, 15:24   #3216
BHPian

Quote:

Hotel aditya in uppinangadi used to be good a year before. Have seen a bit crowded in recent times.
Old 11th April 2011, 16:56   #3217
Senior - BHPian

Hotel Ashritha is pretty decent to grab a veg meal, akki roti taste's good their...

btw Aditya in upinangadi is a good place for breakfast, @chikku it still is good
also in BC road next to the bus stop thier is a good restaurant, forgot the name...

btw BC road flyover is opened for traffic though not some work is going on....
Old 11th April 2011, 18:32   #3218
Team-BHP Support

Thanks folks for all the feedbacks. I also realized that if one starts by 5 from Bangalore towards Manipal/Udupi via Sakleshpur, he/she would have crossed Sakleshpur by 10/11 itself (Hope I am not optimistic). Then all the good places you folks have mentioned, would have gone. May be then break at Uppinangadi seems to be logical. A break for break fast at Kamat/CCD would also add to one not wanting to stop at Sakleshpur.
Old 12th April 2011, 09:34   #3219
BHPian

While we are at it to sort out better place to eat towards Mangalore & Udupi, can pro also mention place where one can get good food in Tumkur ~Arsikere ~ Shimoga route. Earlier (before NH4 bypasses Tumkur town) it was possible to get hands on Idlis sold in packages with yummy spice chutneys. Last time when I drove there wasn't any such places along NH4. I am taking this route in one month time, as usual I start early (5~5:15)! So where can I get good decent Veg only food. I don't prefer CCD, Mc Donald etc. Per say I prefer south Indian food.
Old 12th April 2011, 10:39   #3220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Hotel Ashritha is pretty decent to grab a veg meal,
Around 2+ months back I had meals over here, I wouldn't recommend Meals here. It was hardly eatable with rice being almost raw & sambhar + palya was pathetic to say the least.
I didn't venture to try the any other dishes.
Sometime back they used to be good, but not anymore.

Tasty non-veg food, try Hotel Gandharva bar and restaurent, but ambience sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
mention place where one can get good food in Tumkur ~Arsikere ~ Shimoga route. .
Please refer to this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2296021
Old 12th April 2011, 19:33   #3221
BHPian

I returned from Udupi yesterday and my observations are as follows: I took Bangalore-Hassan-Sakleshpura-Mangalore-Udupi route. While going I went via Peenya-Nelamangala cross-Hassan route and returned via Magadi.

Till Kunigal the road is very good and 4 lane conversion is completed till the outskirts of Kunigal after that the road is little rough with uneven patch work of the road. After Kunigal one gets the 4 lane roads again which are almost complete and at some stages we do have to take diversions into single lanes. The drive till Hassan is pleasant and the there are no issues with the road. Food at Kamat is decent and I have had breakfast,lunch,Snacks & Dinner here on various time on this route.

Shiradi ghat roads are mostly repaired and the very badly damaged sections have been relaid with road studs to give tires better grip during wet conditions. Other parts still have rough and uneven patch works which disturbs your otherwise pleasant drive!

Once you get down the ghats till Uppinagadi the roads are like fairways! with plenty of curves and bends. There is one stretch when you reach Uppinagai Bypass which is really bad were there are big gaps on the road which can be fatal in the night if one glides like I did so watch out for that. The BC Road Flyover is open! My god, it is a scary ride though as one could really feel the different sections of the bridge same way the bypass to reach Mangalore-Udupi stretch is also open and it is as scary as the BC Road one!.

Till Udupi the roads are pretty good with no pot holes anywhere and till Suratkal there is 4 lane road. after that till Udupi one encounters the work under process in many places hence one has to be cautious.

The road from Kuigal to Magadi stretch is good but the road inside Magadi town in horrible and one has to be on a tractor to ride through! post Magadi town till Bangalore we have excellent roads. I could not take pictures of the road as I was driving in the night! this time I started the drive at 5.45 PM and reached Udupi at 1.20 AM with dinner and tea break for 40mins. similar story while returning too.
Old 12th April 2011, 20:36   #3222
Team-BHP Support

Any reasons, why you took the route via Mangalore and not via Karkala?
Is the Mangalore section of roads better?
Old 12th April 2011, 23:06   #3223
BHPian

The road through Karkala is good but it is narrow (I avoid that route late in the night) and it is easy to maintain the pace on Mangalore Udupi especially when we travel late in the night! I drove at 12AM and could cover the distance in 45mins.
Old 13th April 2011, 14:36   #3224
BHPian

Had been to Polali and Kateel on mon / tue (10/11th ) to attend jathre at Polali

The BC road - Gurupura - Kaikamba - Bajpe - Kinnigoli stretch ( SH101 ) is in good condition barring a few kms close to BC road. Though narrow and curvy, this road is a good option to byepass / avoid peak hour traffic Mangalore and join NH17 near Mulki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
How about Ashritha Hotel in Sakleshpur?
Hotel Ashritha is good for breakfast. Past 10am, bus stand crowd takes over the place. good food though.

Quote:
btw Aditya in upinangadi is a good place for breakfast,
+1

Quote:
also in BC road next to the bus stop thier is a good restaurant, forgot the name...
Hotel Anugraha ?
Old 13th April 2011, 17:15   #3225
Senior - BHPian

@roamingrao, i think so this restaurant is right next to the bus stand and it has a theater too. quality of food, ambience is pretty neat.

btw i guess the "Polali" jathre would have attracted huge crowd?? i was planning to visit last sunday...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks