Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2012, 16:19   #4006
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Did Hebbal - kukke subramanya - Hebbal yesterday in swift. The best road condition ive seen in my whole life W.R.T Shiradi ghat. Left home at 4.45 am and was in front of the temple at 8.15 Dot.
Old 5th March 2012, 16:47   #4007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Afaik there is a road block between madikeri tollgate circle and bhagamandala cross due to on going road work. You have to take diversion through virajpet road and join back to mangalore road after 3 kms.
True, the road block is still there and will be on for some more time till the civic work gets completed on this stretch.But not to worry about the same as per the earlier message since a diversion is available which will get you back on to the Mangalore route further-on. Steep and winding roads for the first 30 odd kms till sampaji and then another 45kms to kukkesubramaniya temple. With kids you need to stock up on lots of water and re hydrating stuff as it gets pretty hot after 9am till around 4pm on this stretch. Also Dharmasthala at this time of the year would fall into the hot season and hence would be good to be prepared with kids around.

If you are coming down from Bangalore side then you might want to check on this link for further information. This might be helpful.

Mysore to Kukke Subramanya | Everything about Mysore!

PS: Mods hope the above link is allowed as per the rule book. If not kindly purge the same.
jmvivek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 01:19   #4008

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Since all your destinations are close to coastal Karnataka, why not take the Mumbai - Goa - Mangalore route? It is 2 laned, but you can maintain good speeds.

Or you could drive to Hubli from Mumbai, and then hit the coastal roads from Hubli. Do you have to come to Bangalore for some reason?
Yes, there is a wedding to attend in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Apart from the crowd, most temples are closed in the afternoon. Better to check directly with the temple authorities on exact timings of closure. If one starts early from Madikeri (6AM or so), both Kukke and Dharmasthala can be covered before lunch (assuming moderate crowds). Udupi Krishna temple will not be closed during lunch. I do not know about Kateel.
We are planning to start early in the morning from Madikeri. Plan is to have lunch at Dharmasthala after darshan.
Old 14th March 2012, 13:20   #4009
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday I did Bangalore to Manipal in 6h:50m duration. Actually I drove slower than usual since I had just recovered from fever. But I skipped lunch break, that saved some time.

At Naravi I was stopped by STF for checking. Apparently there is some naxal activity around Beltangady, weapons and grenades were recovered. So they are randomly stopping cars and checking for weapons and explosives. My single occupant driven Grand Vitara obviously matched a profile.

The fellow who peeped through my passenger door wanted all my bags opened. Then somebody shouted from behind to stop the foolishness and then he asked me to go.
Old 15th March 2012, 16:50   #4010

Shiradi ghat road is in excellent condition, i did it on 9th Mar 2012. The 30 odd kms took me 30-35 minutes in my Scorpio(The same stretch in oct 2011 took me 2 hours)
Old 19th March 2012, 12:46   #4011
BHPian

All I needed to know is go or no-go. Thank you people, I do Bangalore - Mangalore and back over the long weekend, the better than before road condition inspires confidence will update the thread after I return.
Old 20th March 2012, 18:19   #4012
BHPian

I did a Kukke & Dharmasthala trip and drove on the Shiradi after a gap of nearly 7 years. Felt nice driving in the ghats, but since my car is a small hatch, it was a bit jumpy on the patched parts.

Because of this plus i had my aged parents sitting in the back, i could not up the speed and took around 3 hours from Dharmasthala to Hassan.
Old 20th March 2012, 18:41   #4013
Senior - BHPian

Did Bangalore -Mangalore-Bangalore back in a single day . Had to attend a wedding . Started 4 am from Koramangala ,reached Mangalore at 915 am .Stopped just at the start of the ghat in the morning for a tea and pee break . I was stopped at Gundya where they opened even the bonnet and were shocked to hear that we were driving from bangalore ,but didnt have any baggage in the dicky

On the return leg started at 2 pm from Mangalore and reached Koramangala at around 8 pm.

This was fast ,but nowhere close to the around 5 hours that we used to do around 2005 to 2007 before the ghats started deteriorating.

Thanks to the great road conditions , I also got a phenomenal FE of 18.6 KPL !!
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 12:22   #4014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Did Bangalore -Mangalore-Bangalore back in a single day . Had to attend a wedding . Started 4 am from Koramangala ,reached Mangalore at 915 am .Stopped just at the start of the ghat in the morning for a tea and pee break . I was stopped at Gundya where they opened even the bonnet and were shocked to hear that we were driving from bangalore ,but didnt have any baggage in the dicky

On the return leg started at 2 pm from Mangalore and reached Koramangala at around 8 pm.

This was fast ,but nowhere close to the around 5 hours that we used to do around 2005 to 2007 before the ghats started deteriorating.

Thanks to the great road conditions , I also got a phenomenal FE of 18.6 KPL !!
When did you do this drive? I drove towards Kukke on Sunday 18th and returned back from Dharmasthala on Monday 19th. I saw a MH regd.silver Zen on the ghats. Could it be you?
Old 26th March 2012, 13:31   #4015
BHPian

Oh its a lovely drive I was a little over cautious about the bad road conditions. Left home at 6:45, reached Pumpwell at 12:30 sharp with a breakfast and nature break. Some sections are a bit patchy/bouncy but cant ask for more as of now. Way back was longer, had to go to Karkala from Mlore, took the Moodbidari route, that too is neat, reached Karkala in an hours time, and from Karkala to Dharmastala is good too, no complaints
Old 26th March 2012, 13:41   #4016
Senior - BHPian

I heard from a cousin of mine that the Belur-Cheeknalli-Gonibeedu-Mudigere route has been relaid and is in very good condition. I have personally not traveled there recently, but if it is true, this is very good news.
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:07   #4017
BHPian

I did Bangalore-Mangalore via Mysore-Madikeri in 2009, I had taken this route as the Hassan route was in bad condition.

My brother wants to go to Mangalore in his Alto, so, here I was researching the route.

Reading through the posts, here is the route I picked up as the best presently after the fixes that was done in Jan/Feb:

Bangalore > Nelamangala > Kunigal > Belluru > Channarayapattna > Hassan > Sakleshpur > Uppinangadi > BC Road > Mangalore

So, is this good?
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:36   #4018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb
I did Bangalore-Mangalore via Mysore-Madikeri in 2009, I had taken this route as the Hassan route was in bad condition.

My brother wants to go to Mangalore in his Alto, so, here I was researching the route.

Reading through the posts, here is the route I picked up as the best presently after the fixes that was done in Jan/Feb:

Bangalore > Nelamangala > Kunigal > Belluru > Channarayapattna > Hassan > Sakleshpur > Uppinangadi > BC Road > Mangalore

So, is this good?
It is the best. Though road is bit rough on the ghats, no potholes anywhere. Real pleasure
rajshenoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:38   #4019
BHPian

I did the Bangalore-Mangalore-Udupi trip twice in the last week, taking the Hassan > Sakleshpur > Uppinangadi route.

The first of the trips was on Mar 23, returning on Mar 27, and the second on Mar 29 and returning on April 1. The road conditions on entire ghat section of Sakleshpur route is excellent.

This is the best time to use this route for those travelling to Mangalore/Udupi.
Wagoner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 12:00   #4020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday I did Bangalore to Manipal in 6h:50m duration. Actually I drove slower than usual since I had just recovered from fever. But I skipped lunch break, that saved some time.

At Naravi I was stopped by STF for checking. Apparently there is some naxal activity around Beltangady, weapons and grenades were recovered. So they are randomly stopping cars and checking for weapons and explosives. My single occupant driven Grand Vitara obviously matched a profile.

The fellow who peeped through my passenger door wanted all my bags opened. Then somebody shouted from behind to stop the foolishness and then he asked me to go.
Hi,
I think from Dharmasthala cross to Manipal you may need about 2 hours right?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks