Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2020, 09:29   #8401
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Not really, it is not ticked. In fact the route it shows indeed passes through tolls. I am familiar with the route, so not a real concern, but just wondering as I have a drive plan coming up.
I think you need to double-check if you have really unchecked avoid tolls option in gmaps, because when I checked avoid tolls in gmaps, I could see the same route as mentioned in your post with deviations wherever tolls are present. For confirmation sake I just checked with a friend of mine in Hassan who owns petrol bunk near Kunigal, he too confirmed there are no such issues and things are normal as before.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 22nd July 2020 at 09:32.
DragonHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 17:06   #8402
Senior - BHPian

Did Banglore - Mangalore yesterday and return today. Smooth and hassle free drive it was. Like mentioned in previous posts, Hassan to Sakleshpur a bit slow due to patchy roads, but not deep potholes as such. And then first few portion of the down hill a bit patchy too. The road is really holding up in the monsoon.

Noticed that most restaurants are shut closed while a very few are open for seating and service. No Airavat volvos on road but a very few Rajahamsa and Sarige are running. LPG tankers are as usual. Sparse vehicular movement overall.
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 22:27   #8403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Did Banglore - Mangalore yesterday and return today. Smooth and hassle free drive it was. Like mentioned in previous posts, Hassan to Sakleshpur a bit slow due to patchy roads, but not deep potholes as such. And then first few portion of the down hill a bit patchy too. The road is really holding up in the monsoon.

Noticed that most restaurants are shut closed while a very few are open for seating and service. No Airavat volvos on road but a very few Rajahamsa and Sarige are running. LPG tankers are as usual. Sparse vehicular movement overall.
Were there any check posts on the way or at district borders? I am driving on Thursday in a car registered outside KA. Though I have valid epass from both starting and destination states, which will be pasted on the windshield, I would not prefer to get out of the vehicle to get checked for docs or myself.
Old 28th July 2020, 23:24   #8404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
Were there any check posts on the way or at district borders?
Absolutely nothing. Didn't spot even a highway patrol.
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 09:02   #8405
BHPian

Quote:
Were there any check posts on the way or at district borders? I am driving on Thursday in a car registered outside KA. Though I have valid epass from both starting and destination states, which will be pasted on the windshield, I would not prefer to get out of the vehicle to get checked for docs or myself.
There is a check post in Gundya which is for namesake alone. Even though police officials are present over there, they bearly stop anyone. However better to have everything in place, just in case so that they don`t cause any trouble.
DragonHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 09:24   #8406
Senior - BHPian

In the last 10 days, I did two relay trips to Bangalore - as in, I went from Manipal to Chikmagalur and back, while my sister's car did Bangalore to Chikmagalur and back. First time was through Charmadi and the second through Agumbe.

Roads were good all the way and at no place were we stopped. Apart from the regular checkpost at Agumbe, I noticed one just before Charmadi Ghats and other one on the outskirts of Chikmagalur.

I love driving in this weather and I wasn't disappointed this time either - heavy rains, dense fog and the cool breeze. Just wonderful. I also realised that Agumbe is scary for a novice driver
My sister was riding shotgun on the way up to Agumbe and she decided then and there that she's never taking that route solo!!

PS: Charmadi has lost that overhanging, waterfall rock.
samaspire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 21:44   #8407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Roads were good all the way and at no place were we stopped.

PS: Charmadi has lost that overhanging, waterfall rock.
Thank you for this update. I am thinking of taking the Charmadi route for my next trip to BLR considering that the Shiradi route is deteriorating quickly between Sakleshpur (end of concrete section) and Hassan. Also, I did not enjoy the drive when I took the Shiradi route early in the month as I had to slow down and crawl at a lot of places.
fast_elegance is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 19:55   #8408
Senior - BHPian

I took the Charmadi route yesterday and these are my observations
1. As quoted by samaspire above it is doable for any kind of vehicle
2. The culverts between Mudigere and Kottigehara are like mini humps. Some of these have potholes on either side.
3. The "up" side of Charmadi has a few rough areas nearer to Kottigehara while the "down" side is fine
4. The landslide areas are one way at some places and needs attention.
5. No one stopped the car on either side of Charmadi at the barricade or the check post.

It was lovely weather with incessant rains throughout the ghat section.
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img20200731wa0028.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img20200731wa0030.jpg

I had a stop over at Soans farms in Moodabidre to pick some natural jams and juices.
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img20200731wa0029.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img20200731wa0033.jpg
unk9ja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 19:06   #8409
Senior - BHPian

And returned on Shiradi today. It was a bad decision, I must say. After BC road, the road starts deteriorating. The potholes come up unexpectedly and at odd places where you do not expect. Traffic density was low today until the end of concrete stretch after which it was crawling all the way into Sakleshpura. The road from Sakleshpura to Hassan is in better shape.
Some pictures for the day
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20200801_090013.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20200801_082854_1.jpg
I would prefer Charmadi over Shiradi as it stands today.
unk9ja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 10:38   #8410
BHPian

Did Bangalore to Mangalore last Saturday. Left Bangalore at 10am and reached Mangalore at 5pm. Took the Shiradi ghat route. The roads are bad at just a few places after crossing the ghat but it was no dampener. Took a half an hour break throughout the journey.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20200801_112731.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20200801_141134.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20200801_141210.jpg  

alstonlobo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 16:24   #8411
BHPian

Quote:
I traveled on 30th via Shiradi and there was no check whatsoever all the way. Even the Hejamadi toll which was in news not too long ago for strict restrictions was without any checks either way. Returned on 1st taking the same route, again no checking anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
And returned on Shiradi today. It was a bad decision, I must say. After BC road, the road starts deteriorating. The potholes come up unexpectedly and at odd places where you do not expect. Traffic density was low today until the end of concrete stretch after which it was crawling all the way into Sakleshpura. The road from Sakleshpura to Hassan is in better shape.
I would prefer Charmadi over Shiradi as it stands today.
Exactly my thoughts. Road conditions are bad to worst in some places. After the end of concrete section until BC road junction there are many potholes and it was difficult to sight them during rain.
There are also some speed breakers which are unmarked and come up without any warning signs. Unless you are a regular in this route or there are any vehicles in front, it is impossible to see them. Unfortunately I jumped 3 of them

By the way do you have any TBHP stickers on your car? I saw couple of them on my way on 1st. I started from Manipal around 4:30AM and was in Hassan around 9AM
Makin Rulesz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 16:57   #8412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way do you have any TBHP stickers on your car? I saw couple of them on my way on 1st. I started from Manipal around 4:30AM and was in Hassan around 9AM
I started exactly an hour later. Stopped at Hassan for a break at 0945 for breakfast
Yes, I sport a LTD sticker from earlier production lot. I did not sight any Bhpians on that day.
Old 4th August 2020, 16:14   #8413

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
I started exactly an hour later. Stopped at Hassan for a break at 0945 for breakfast
Yes, I sport a LTD sticker from earlier production lot. I did not sight any Bhpians on that day.
Are the restaurants on the way open now? If yes, is it at the pre-covid levels yet?
Old 4th August 2020, 18:20   #8414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp77 View Post
Are the restaurants on the way open now? If yes, is it at the pre-covid levels yet?
Mayura, Swati Delicacy and Kicchana Halli Mane (the one near Kunigal) were open last week. I’m not sure whether they are at pre-covid levels as I didn’t venture inside but saw few vehicles parked in front of the restaurants. Swati Delicacy had the highest number of vehicles parked in front of it. The restaurant which is famous for Akki Rotti at Sakaleshpur (unable to recollect the name) was open too.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 4th August 2020 at 18:24.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 18:20   #8415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp77 View Post
Yes they are. I drove to Chikmagalur on Sunday and returned on yesterday.

On Sunday, most were closed barring few (perceived lack of clarity about Sunday lockdown then or Varamahalakshmi extended weekend along with Sunday lockdown may be). However, on return yesterday, I noticed every place was open.

There were still quite a few that remain shut but the popular ones like Swati, Mayura, Dhruvataare, Suruchi, A2B, Halli Mane etc were all open.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks