Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2019, 14:16   #8266
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Will always remain my favorite when headed to Karkala or Udupi but least favorite when it comes to recommending someone because a majority of the travelers feel this one is long, twisty, has no facilities and not a regular road (list is endless) .
Absolutely This route is one the most peaceful routes to Coastal where I happily miss facilities. This time it was more scenic with the touch of rain and fog. Will publish a video on this route soon.
Old 12th November 2019, 20:50   #8267
BHPian

Received via Whatsapp, describes reasons for stopping of work in NH75.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-cdc33d3c25b14d18a87c806cf07e7682.jpe  

Shamegz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 09:54   #8268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamegz View Post
Received via Whatsapp, describes reasons for stopping of work in NH75.
So this is the reason.
Yesterday i returned to Bangalore via shiradi. Lot of positives. Road inside Balupete is completely re tarred. Patchwork is being done at multiple places. Section below Shiradi, except one all major crators/pot holes are filled.
Old 13th November 2019, 13:14   #8269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
So this is the reason.
Yesterday i returned to Bangalore via shiradi. Lot of positives. Road inside Balupete is completely re tarred. Patchwork is being done at multiple places. Section below Shiradi, except one all major crators/pot holes are filled.
How is the stretch from Maranahally to Hassan? My dad came to Bangalore on last Saturday and said is in pretty bad state.
Old 13th November 2019, 14:21   #8270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
How is the stretch from Maranahally to Hassan? My dad came to Bangalore on last Saturday and said is in pretty bad state.
I traveled to Puttur- Kanyana and some remote places in Kerala border. On Saturday morning they had just started filling big pot holes. While returning yesterday many were filled up. You can notice right after the end of Hasan bypass, about a kilometre stretch has been repaired but not all. Surroundings of Balupete also repaired.
Also bad stretch between Kabaka-Vittla is being repaired.
Old 19th November 2019, 04:30   #8271
BHPian

Returned from MLR last night. Took the plunge of taking the Shiradi at the last minute assuming that they would have completed filling up the pot holes based on last update. The pot holes between uppinangady and gundya are now filled though it is not all that smooth. The stretch between end of concrete section to Manjarabad fort are still in shambles. I had to literally stop and go at many sections to avoid scraping the bottom. The stretch from sakleshpur to Hassan is partially patched up and is difficult to maintain speeds due to surprise pot holes.

It is best to avoid this route for some more days till the entire stretch is patched up.
fast_elegance is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 15:12   #8272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Returned from MLR last night. Took the plunge of taking the Shiradi at the last minute assuming that they would have completed filling up the pot holes based on last update. The pot holes between uppinangady and gundya are now filled though it is not all that smooth. The stretch between end of concrete section to Manjarabad fort are still in shambles. I had to literally stop and go at many sections to avoid scraping the bottom. The stretch from sakleshpur to Hassan is partially patched up and is difficult to maintain speeds due to surprise pot holes.

It is best to avoid this route for some more days till the entire stretch is patched up.
Thanks, looks like I will stick to Charmadi or Sampaje for this weeks drive. Unlikely that a major progress will be made in 3-4 days.
Old 19th November 2019, 16:22   #8273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Thanks, looks like I will stick to Charmadi or Sampaje for this weeks drive. Unlikely that a major progress will be made in 3-4 days.
I hope they fix the Sakaleshpur, Shirady road as soon as poossible, before I drive to Mangalore on this route on December 13th.
Old 22nd November 2019, 09:43   #8274
BHPian

Hi everybody, I am excited as this is my first ever text on team-bhp. I am driving my hatchback to Dharmastala on 17th December 2019 with my family i.e my parents and brother. Whenever my family has a plan to go to coastal side of Karnataka I am extremely excited only because I get to drive in the roads of western ghats. I have been curiously watching this thread from past one month since we planned this trip. I must say I have got a lot of useful inputs from the team-bhpians who have shared their experience of driving in the western ghats in the recent past. Thank you for that because you all helped me choose a hassle free route for my trip.

I just spoke to a colleague of mine who is back from a vacation. He told me he drove both Shiradi and Charmadi during sometime last week. He told me very clearly to avoid Shiradi and I am convinced by his words. He explained to me in very detail how bad the road condition was even before we enter ghats i.e between Hassan and Sakaleshapura due to road renewing. He also mentioned the road conditions of Charmadi and suggested me to take the Charmadi route. His favorite fact about driving Charmadi was the restriction on heavy vehicles like trucks and buses in the route.

In short, my trip starts on 17th December and taking Charmadi route. And the destination is Sri Kshetra Dharmastala.
The_Road_Rover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 23:36   #8275
BHPian

Drove to Dharmasthala from Bangalore today. Started from Electronics city by 2.45pm and reached Dharmasthala by 9.15pm. The stretch from Sakleshpur till Shiradi ghat is pretty bad in condition (I should have read the above post before the trip). Lots of huge potholes and rough roads. Shiradi ghat is in good condition though. It was really a test for my Ecosport's ground clearance.

Planning to take Charmadi ghat-Belur route for my return tomorrow as suggested by a bhpian in another thread.
ajishanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 11:19   #8276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajishanand View Post

Planning to take Charmadi ghat-Belur route for my return tomorrow as suggested by a bhpian in another thread.
Please provide an update on the Charmadi route road condition. I am planning to drive to Mangalore durinig Dec 2nd week and I am anxious about the route I should take and the condition of the same.

Regards,

Narayan.
Old 23rd November 2019, 21:08   #8277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
Please provide an update on the Charmadi route road condition.
Nothing to worry. Took this route today on my return to Bangalore from Dharmasthala. It was a good decision I would say. The ghat is in good condition. The rain damaged areas are repaired. There's no heavy vehicle traffic and that makes it a little more easier. Recommended to drive during the day, it will be a bit difficult in the night with oncoming vehicles' headlights on.

Last edited by ajishanand : 23rd November 2019 at 21:11.
ajishanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 08:54   #8278
BHPian

I think charmadi is open from 6 am to 6 pm on and no traffic is allowed during night
Rajesh K R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 14:18   #8279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThilakNex View Post

Bengaluru to Hasana: Usual no-nonsense smooth tollway. To my surprise, some of the Fastags were not responding quickly.

Hasana to Beluru: Very good. Seems a fresh layer of tarmac has been laid recently.

Beluru to Kottigehara: Fairly good road with occasional rough patches along newly constructed culverts.

Kottigehara to Kalasa: Good road with very frequent landslides and treefalls which has reduced the width of the road to a single lane at many places. Since this road has very less traffic, it is easily manageable.

Overall if you plan to travel to Udupi from Bengaluru, This is the next best option after Agumbe.
Advantages of this route: You get to visit Kelagur tea estate, Kalaseshwara temple, Samse tea estate, Kadambi falls and Kudremukha reserve forest.
Ok, took a bit of time to edit this route video and publish. One should get the fair idea about the road condition of the route by watching this one:

ThilakNex is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 00:06   #8280
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Is Bisle ghat motorable in a normal/low GC hatchback/sedan now?
Planning to visit Kukke, but want to avoid the bad roads between Hassan to start of Shiradi ghat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks