Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2011, 21:44   #136
BHPian

Re: 4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Another option is to try Thoppur - Mettur - Ammappetai - Anthiyur - Athani-Sathyamangalam - Annur. From Annur, you can either go through coimbatore city or else connect to NH 47 at Karumatham patty. Since your travel will be at night, I think crossing coimbatore city shouldn't be an issue.
Crossing Coimbatore will not be an issue during non-peak timings.
But during night, the stretch beyond Ammappettai till Sathy will be very lonely and not even tea-shops will be open !!! There used to be some traffic in this stretch during nights when NH-47 4-laning was happening between Salem and (15 kms from) Avinashi which is the currently completed stretch but these days not a comfortable stretch for night driving.
Old 18th April 2011, 21:48   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Crossing Coimbatore will not be an issue during non-peak timings.
But during night, the stretch beyond Ammappettai till Sathy will be very lonely and not even tea-shops will be open !!! There used to be some traffic in this stretch during nights when NH-47 4-laning was happening between Salem and (15 kms from) Avinashi which is the currently completed stretch but these days not a comfortable stretch for night driving.
True, Forgot to mention this part. Thanks Ajith. In case some one is planning to drive as a convoy ( I would assume there would be many cars heading this direction this weekend), then this route can be tried. Travelling alone is not advisable for multiple reasons, one being, if you don't have some navigation aids, you might not find a single soul to ask directions.
Old 18th April 2011, 22:14   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
True, Forgot to mention this part. Thanks Ajith. In case some one is planning to drive as a convoy ( I would assume there would be many cars heading this direction this weekend), then this route can be tried. Travelling alone is not advisable for multiple reasons, one being, if you don't have some navigation aids, you might not find a single soul to ask directions.
Yes. All the junctions between Mettur and Sathy (if not Kovai itself) could be confusing for someone not familiar with the route.
And another disturbing thing I noted was the mobile signals being absent or weak on this route. Not sure if this is improved now. But, these days we take mobile signal reach as a MUST in our lives, right?
Old 18th April 2011, 22:28   #139
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for the quick reply. I will try Kangayam route this time.
Is there sufficient sign boards between Kangayam and Perunthurai? I am used to NH67 and no issues till Coimbatore.
Old 18th April 2011, 22:38   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Thanks guys for the quick reply. I will try Kangayam route this time.
Is there sufficient sign boards between Kangayam and Perunthurai? I am used to NH67 and no issues till Coimbatore.
Get into Perundurai town and ask any one for Kangeyam road. Its pretty easy and not that complicated at all.
Old 26th April 2011, 23:40   #141
BHPian

Had been to salem couple of days back. Avoided Avinashi road completely took coimbatore - palladam - tirupur - Chengapalli - salem route. Its just around 15kms extra but you can avoid all those traffic and freq gear changes. Except for palladam & tirupur city traffic the roads are super free.
smrtdvl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 11:00   #142
BHPian

I am planning to Blr -- Thrissur trip sometime during May 1st week. I am planning to use Salem, Coimbatoor, Palakkad route for upward journey and Nilambur, Gudallur, Mysore route for return. This will give me an idea about both the routes. I am keen to get latest update on Salem, Coimbatore, Palakkad stretch.
Regards,
Sarin
Old 27th April 2011, 11:23   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
I am planning to Blr -- Thrissur trip sometime during May 1st week. I am planning to use Salem, Coimbatoor, Palakkad route for upward journey and Nilambur, Gudallur, Mysore route for return. This will give me an idea about both the routes. I am keen to get latest update on Salem, Coimbatore, Palakkad stretch.
Regards,
Sarin

This stretch ( chengapalli-avinashi-cbe) is just about okay to drive in the best case scenario ( day time, no rain and sparse traffic), but it turns dreadful in the night, with traffic and with rain. Make a decision based on the time you expect to cross the stretch and also on the weather conditions.
sbkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 11:53   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
This stretch ( chengapalli-avinashi-cbe) is just about okay to drive in the best case scenario ( day time, no rain and sparse traffic), but it turns dreadful in the night, with traffic and with rain. Make a decision based on the time you expect to cross the stretch and also on the weather conditions.
Thanks sbkumar. I will use this stretch during day time.
Regards,
Sarin
Old 27th April 2011, 22:16   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Except for palladam & tirupur city traffic the roads are super free.
GMaps shows a Ring Road for Tirupur. Is it functional & in good condition? Any body tried this to bypass Tirupur?
Old 28th April 2011, 00:58   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
Regards,
Sarin

On the way from salem you can take the SH81 from chengapalli - uthukuli road to reach tirupur - palladam - sulur then take the L & T bypass to reach palakkad there by avoiding coimbatore city.

Last edited by smrtdvl : 28th April 2011 at 01:10. Reason: Added 1 more road mark
smrtdvl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 15:03   #147
Senior - BHPian

Did the Perundurai - Avinashi section on Tuesday. It is seriously a pain with all the diversion points in bad shape may be the effect of the unseasonal rains last week. Took a diversion to Annur and then onto Coimbatore but the slow traffic from Annur to Coimbatore is a killer takes a lot of time. Took me more than two and a half hours from Erode to Coimbatore. My distributor in Erode was suggesting me to take the Kangeyam - Palladam route with good roads all the way. I thought I will check out the NH47, was a bad decision in hindsight.
Old 28th April 2011, 15:57   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
On the way from salem you can take the SH81 from chengapalli - uthukuli road to reach tirupur - palladam - sulur then take the L & T bypass to reach palakkad there by avoiding coimbatore city.
Thanks. I will keep this in mind.
Regards,
Sarin
Old 28th April 2011, 18:08   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
My distributor in Erode was suggesting me to take the Kangeyam - Palladam route with good roads all the way. I thought I will check out the NH47, was a bad decision in hindsight.
NH67 between Kangeyam-Palladam is an amazing surface. Beautiful to drive, inspite of the truck traffic. Definitely worth taking that route. In fact another fried of mine took the Palaghat-Pollachi-Palladam-Kangeyam-Perundurai route, and said he saved at least one and a half hour as compared to NH47 which he took while going, Definitely worth taking this option.
Old 28th April 2011, 22:20   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
NH67 between Kangeyam-Palladam is an amazing surface. Beautiful to drive, inspite of the truck traffic. Definitely worth taking that route. In fact another fried of mine took the Palaghat-Pollachi-Palladam-Kangeyam-Perundurai route, and said he saved at least one and a half hour as compared to NH47 which he took while going, Definitely worth taking this option.
+1. I agree with Amp.

I did the Salem-Cbe NH47 last weekend. After the over night rain, the stretch from Chengapalli-Cbe was not fine for me atleast. Also, even with the Cbe bypass, it took lot of time to get past the cbe city. You can seriously consider this option as of now.

Edit:- Amp, since he is travelling to Thrissur, why not he consider taking Pollachi-Vadakkenchery route?

Last edited by rameshnanda : 28th April 2011 at 22:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks