Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2011, 09:27   #106
BHPian

Re: 4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47

Lets discuss just the 4-Laning of Avinashi-CBE here. I look up and sieve through all the posts on this page and none relate to the topic except for the first on the top of the page. Lets keep this thread clean please.
Old 31st March 2011, 09:53   #107
Senior - BHPian

Friends - I am off to Coimbatore this saturday morning. The route i was taking for the past trips was through Mettur, Bhavani, Avanashi, Annur. Its been a few months since i went to CBE.

Can someone confirm if the 4 laning is complete all the way to Avanashi ? If so, i can avoid the narrow roads to Mettur and continue straight, divert to Annur after Avanashi and reach home.
Old 31st March 2011, 10:54   #108
Team-BHP Support

Yes road is ready till Avinashi or about 5 kms before avinashi to be precise i guess. Definitely recommended instead of Mettur route. Word of caution, road is great, speed is high but the drivers are stupid! so keep an eye out at every intersection for prancing vehicles! 100-120 cruising is the ideal speeds for this stretch, though you can easily do 140's in many places.
Old 31st March 2011, 13:42   #109
BHPian

Oh! So the 4-lane no longer peters out to a 2-lane at Chengapalli (west bound on the NH47). Chengapalli-Avinashi is about 18 km. So about 10-12 km is 4-lane operational!!? If so there is progress and just about 25 km of 4-laning to go till we hit the CBE bypass.

Last edited by jeevmenon : 31st March 2011 at 13:44.
Old 5th April 2011, 09:21   #110
BHPian

Sorry, Jaggu. But thats not correct. Chengapalli is the last pt where the 4 lane ends. The 4 laning work is in progress but its very slow moving. It took 1.5 hrs for me to cover this 60 km. Around 17 km of which is the beautiful city section of Avinashi-road. This time I saw more diversions and the "C" curve diversions are worse than before. I was frustrated and tired this time more than before, so much so that when I hit the Chengapalli 4 lane, (the green board there is like an oasis) within 100m the speedometer shot up from 60 to 130 in a matter of secs/meters.

Only difference and +ve is that at some sections the newly laid road is just one broad piece of tar where 3 lanes can easily be laid. That stretch is good to drive. But that would be hardly 5-6 km in total. Not much to shout about.

Just fyi:
Its 57.8 km from my house (close to Ramanathpuram signal on Trichy Road within Coimbatore city) to the Chengapalli bypass. Or say 55 km from the Lakshmi mills on Avinashi road till one hits the 4 lane. Or say 40 km from the CBE city bypass start pt to Chengapalli. Reset your trip odo's at these location and wait for it to reach those numbers. Its frustrating!
Old 5th April 2011, 11:06   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post

Just fyi:
Its 57.8 km from my house (close to Ramanathpuram signal on Trichy Road within Coimbatore city) to the Chengapalli bypass. Or say 55 km from the Lakshmi mills on Avinashi road till one hits the 4 lane. Or say 40 km from the CBE city bypass start pt to Chengapalli. Reset your trip odo's at these location and wait for it to reach those numbers. Its frustrating!
Hey Jeev,thanx for these pointers,I am driving down the same section to Kerala next week and this bit of info would greatly help to ease the frustration levels.

Just a question,would you by any chance have any idea how to get to Koyas (the car interiors guys) from NH47
Old 5th April 2011, 11:22   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Hey Jeev,thanx for these pointers,I am driving down the same section to Kerala next week and this bit of info would greatly help to ease the frustration levels.

Just a question,would you by any chance have any idea how to get to Koyas (the car interiors guys) from NH47
What dates are you in KL? Am driving to Coimbatore too on Apr 14/15.
Old 5th April 2011, 11:40   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
What dates are you in KL? Am driving to Coimbatore too on Apr 14/15.
I think I would be driving Salem-CBE either on the 10th or 11th or 12th.Are you driving as well?
Old 5th April 2011, 11:49   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I think I would be driving Salem-CBE either on the 10th or 11th or 12th.Are you driving as well?
Yes, I will be driving from Bombay to Coimbatore on 14th
Old 5th April 2011, 12:10   #115
Team-BHP Support

One way to by-pass CBE-Palakkad-Trichur, sector may be to go via Valparai.
I tried this section over the weekend, and I must say, I was bowled over by the road conditions. Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Valparai-Chalakudy.

Though I did not go all the way till Chalakudy, but I can only imagine to road to be good and with less traffic. Ghat roads are in peach condition and very less crowded.

Only sector where I saw traffic is : Kangeyam-Palladam (NH67). Road was again fantastic, but lots and lots of trucks.

Thanks to @luvurride and @ajitbr who asked me to stay away from Tiruppur.
Old 5th April 2011, 19:37   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried this section over the weekend, and I must say, I was bowled over by the road conditions. Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Valparai-Chalakudy.
I did this stretch too on Thursday, (salem-perundurai-kangeyam-palladam- pollachi-anamalai-parambikulam)

On the return on friday I did parambikulam-anamalai-pollachi-coimbatore byepass-Annur-mettupalyam- Kotagiri, was surprised by the excellent roads on both routes.
Old 5th April 2011, 20:16   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
I did this stretch too on Thursday, (salem-perundurai-kangeyam-palladam- pollachi-anamalai-parambikulam)

On the return on friday I did parambikulam-anamalai-pollachi-coimbatore byepass-Annur-mettupalyam- Kotagiri, was surprised by the excellent roads on both routes.
@Luke, which is the CBE by-pass that you refer to? Which route did you take from Pollachi to hit this point?
Old 5th April 2011, 20:52   #118
BHPian

@hvkumar,
Hi. I am planning to drive down to Alleppey in May from Mumbai.
Any advice on the route that i should take??
Cheers!!
Old 6th April 2011, 08:15   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Luke, which is the CBE by-pass that you refer to? Which route did you take from Pollachi to hit this point?
From Pollachi, I took the route to Coimbatore which ends at L&T byepass, turned right at the signal and continued further on the toll road which becomes the Avinashi road after toll booths and finally turned towards Annur at Karimathampettai (Hope i got the name right here).
Old 6th April 2011, 08:25   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyb View Post
@hvkumar,
Hi. I am planning to drive down to Alleppey in May from Mumbai.
Any advice on the route that i should take??
Cheers!!
The best route is via Bangalore. NH17 can be too slow and sees lots of traffic south of Kundapura and hence best avoided. After the NICE Road has been constructed, bypassing Bangalore is also easy. Facilities are good throughout. If you are a fast driver, you can plan your first day's halt at Hosur, and if you are slow, at Chitradurga. In any case, you should reach Alleppey at end of Day 2.

Route details:
Bombay-Bangalore:
Bombay-Pune-Satara-Karad-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Dharwad-Hubli-Haveri-Ranebennur-Harihar-Davangere-Chitradurga-Tumkur-Nelamangala-NICE Road/Bangalore

Bangalore-Alleppey:
NICE Road/Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Toppur-Salem-Sankari-Bhavani-Avinashi-Coimbatore-Palakkad-TRssur-Ernakulam-Alleppey

If you are looking to avoid the congestion in the Avinashi-Coimbatore and heavy traffic in Palakad-Ernakulam sectors, and like ill driving, maybe you can try one way the following route, from Salem onwards:

Salem-Kumili-Alleppey:
Salem-Namakkal-Karur-Dindigul-Theni-Kambam-Kumili/Thekkady-Kanjirapalli-Vazhoor-Changanaserry-Alleppey.

If you take the above route, you will have the pleasure of superfast roads till Dindgul, and after that less traffic compared with the Coimbatore route, but you will be slowed down by the ghat sections between KUmili & Mundakayam.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks