Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2011, 12:03   #166
BHPian

Re: 4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47

Quote:
Originally Posted by modthomas View Post
Okay. Started at 0530 from CV Raman Nagar. Route taken was Marathalli > ORR > Elevated > Hosur > NH7 > Salem > NH 47 > Perundurai > Kangeyam > Palladam > Pollachi > Vadakkancheri > Trichur.
@Modthomas, i plan to take this route to drive to Ernakulam tomorrow and wanted to get your feedback on couple of things. I am planning to take this route for the first time AND, i will be driving in the night. i plan to start from Bangalore around 7/8 PM and will be travelling with my family (wife, 6 month old daughter).

1. How safe do you think this route is, compared to the NH47 - CBE - Walayar route? i mean are the places totally deserted with absolutely no traffic at all?

2. can i rely on google maps completely? since i start around 7-8 PM, i might be crossing Perundurai literally in the dead of the night and i guess i wont have much option of asking for directions to any one at that time.

3. once i reach Pollachi, should i be looking for Wadakkancehry route?

4. and i guess, there is no escaping the bad stretch at Kuthiran.

Last edited by ZENnist : 5th May 2011 at 12:05.
Old 5th May 2011, 12:08   #167
Team-BHP Support

At night it would be difficult, as you wont be able to see the Perundurai exit easily.
Add to it the difficulty to spot the Vadakacherry exit at Pollachi.

Would suggest stick to regular road.

Only @Modthomas can answer about other question.

Also note, if you want any hotel to break, you wont find. From that point of view also, it good to stick to GQ.

Last edited by ampere : 5th May 2011 at 12:09.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 12:47   #168
Senior - BHPian

I did this Avinashi stretch at about 2am one month back and the traffic was very less. Its worth, if you do this stretch at peak hours.
Old 5th May 2011, 13:25   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZENnist View Post

1. How safe do you think this route is, compared to the NH47 - CBE - Walayar route? i mean are the places totally deserted with absolutely no traffic at all?
Stick to the original route mate cos the avinashi cbe stretch is safe, not too crowded during midnight and there is always traffic around.

Never stop the car or let someone get into your car even if they say they are from the police department There has been 2 incidents reported in the past 4 days of ppl being robbed in the kangeyam - palladam stretch, the thugs gaining entry into the car saying that they are from the police department and need to check the car.
smrtdvl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 15:44   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Stick to the original route mate cos the avinashi cbe stretch is safe, not too crowded during midnight and there is always traffic around.

Never stop the car or let someone get into your car even if they say they are from the police department There has been 2 incidents reported in the past 4 days of ppl being robbed in the kangeyam - palladam stretch, the thugs gaining entry into the car saying that they are from the police department and need to check the car.
Hmmm.. this is very useful info and of course a reason to worry. the only reason i thought of avoiding NH47 is bcos of the work going on. whatever time you gain till perumanallur is negated by the following stretch.

but nothing is more important than safety.
Old 5th May 2011, 16:14   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZENnist View Post
Hmmm.. this is very useful info and of course a reason to worry. the only reason i thought of avoiding NH47 is bcos of the work going on. whatever time you gain till perumanallur is negated by the following stretch.

but nothing is more important than safety.
I would also recommend to stick with the NH47 route. I did this route 2 weeks back and had a annoying drive from Chengapalli-Cbe. But, still given the time of your travel, better you stick to this itself.
Old 5th May 2011, 17:10   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How easy it is to cross Tiruppur? I was told, there are small roads and its very difficult to cross the town. Did you see/feel any thing like that?
The only problem I had in crossing Tirupur was I was getting lost

I followed Google Maps, which routed me through some one-way sections. Had to figure my way out, which delayed me a bit. The roads are not narrow, and was good enough for a mid-day travel - it was a Sunday though. Had I known the town better, it would have been a breeze to cross it.
Old 5th May 2011, 18:03   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

I followed Google Maps, which routed me through some one-way sections. Had to figure my way out, which delayed me a bit. The roads are not narrow, and was good enough for a mid-day travel - it was a Sunday though. Had I known the town better, it would have been a breeze to cross it.
That is exactly what @ajitbr and @luvuride told me. Hence I stuck to the regular Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam option.
Old 5th May 2011, 18:48   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That is exactly what @ajitbr and @luvuride told me. Hence I stuck to the regular Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam option.
In spite of that, I still reached Coimbatore In about an hour and a half taking the Chengapalli - Palladam route (~70 KM), though it is about 15 KM more than the NH47 route. The last I remember in December, the NH route took me much longer than that...
Old 6th May 2011, 00:32   #175
BHPian

Quote:
The best option is to look for sign boards with Palladam or Udumalpet or pollachi when you are @ Tirupur. Cos if you follow a sign board that says coimbatore then you might end up driving towards avinashi - coimbatore.

You could have called me Jayanth I would have been your GUIDING ANGEL (DEVIL)
Old 6th May 2011, 04:22   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
The best option is to look for sign boards with Palladam or Udumalpet or pollachi when you are @ Tirupur. Cos if you follow a sign board that says coimbatore then you might end up driving towards avinashi - coimbatore.

You could have called me Jayanth I would have been your GUIDING ANGEL (DEVIL)
I preferred the known Devil (Google Maps), rather than the known Angel - wait for a week, you will know how difficult it is to navigate me. And oh, btw, I have a problem with left / right - I usually end up taking the opposite direction...
Old 27th May 2011, 00:46   #177
Senior - BHPian

Guys, for Salem-Coimbatore (160 Kms on NH47) how about taking Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Coimbatore (185 Kms). I believe this would definitely save time and/or avoid the pain of Chengapalli-Kovai stretch.
Old 27th May 2011, 02:27   #178
Senior - BHPian

I was thinking of doing this for the past few days - here goes! Those who want to follow the Chengapalli - Tirupur - Palladam route back to NH47 can follow this map.

Follow this route when travelling from Coimbatore to Salem - there is a small change in Tirupur, thanks to the one-way at a certain point (marked in the picture below).

Important: Use the right map for the direction of your travel. There is a one-way in Tirupur that Google Maps' default routing does not acknowledge, and you will end up lost (like I was the first time!!!)

4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47-map.png
The circle in red denotes the section where there are no roads - this is for a few meters, nothing to worry if you slow down enough.

The circle in blue shows the section where you will usually end up losing your way if you follow the default route of Google Maps. This is a one-way that Google Maps does not acknowledge. Use the maps links I have given above for the respective direction of travel, and you should be fine.

Thanks to Naresh (SmrtDvl) for showing me the way This route is still the best to avoid the under-construction section of NH47 IF YOU HAVE GOOGLE MAPS WITH THE CORRECT ROUTE ON.

I did this stretch in 1 hour and 15 minutes on my way from Salem to CBE (1:00 PM from Chengapalli), and in 45 minutes from CBE to Salem (5:00 AM from CBE). The detour is about 14 KM, but the time saving (and clutch / fuel saving) makes it worth the extra mile.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 27th May 2011 at 02:34.
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 08:45   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking of doing this for the past few days - here goes! Those who want to follow the Chengapalli - Tirupur - Palladam route back to NH47 can follow this map.

Follow this route when travelling from Coimbatore to Salem - there is a small change in Tirupur, thanks to the one-way at a certain point (marked in the picture below).

Important: Use the right map for the direction of your travel. There is a one-way in Tirupur that Google Maps' default routing does not acknowledge, and you will end up lost (like I was the first time!!!)

Attachment 551200
The circle in red denotes the section where there are no roads - this is for a few meters, nothing to worry if you slow down enough.

The circle in blue shows the section where you will usually end up losing your way if you follow the default route of Google Maps. This is a one-way that Google Maps does not acknowledge. Use the maps links I have given above for the respective direction of travel, and you should be fine.

Thanks to Naresh (SmrtDvl) for showing me the way This route is still the best to avoid the under-construction section of NH47 IF YOU HAVE GOOGLE MAPS WITH THE CORRECT ROUTE ON.

I did this stretch in 1 hour and 15 minutes on my way from Salem to CBE (1:00 PM from Chengapalli), and in 45 minutes from CBE to Salem (5:00 AM from CBE). The detour is about 14 KM, but the time saving (and clutch / fuel saving) makes it worth the extra mile.
Instead, if we go through Perundurai-Kangeyam, we can avoid entering Tiruppur City right? I was referring to this route.

Salem, Tamil Nadu to Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps
Old 27th May 2011, 09:42   #180
Senior - BHPian

I dont see a need to go through pains of all these circuitous routes to cover the stretch between Chengappali and CBE bye-pass in any circumstance. I have passed through NH47 in this stretch at least 6 times in this year at various times and never found it very bad even with my low slung car. The bigger problem is the stretch between Palakkad and Thrissur with high traffic and deteriorating roads. With monsoon starting soon, that section going to be a mess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks