Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2011, 21:02   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore to Sirsi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbhat View Post
I think Mantralayam - Manvi - Koppal - Gadag - Hubli - Yellapur - Sonda could be an alternative.
This seems to be a good option. One more deviation can be from Koppal instead of Gadag, go to Ron and then take the Hubli route via Navalgund. This is because Gadag-Hubli would be nightmare on NH63.

koppal - Google Maps

But again there are two unknowns here.

Koppal-Ron
Mantralayam-Manvi.
Old 19th July 2011, 23:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

But again there are two unknowns here.

Mantralayam-Manvi.
The road bridge connecting Mantralaya with Raichur got washed out in the floods 2yrs ago. After that they have a temporary "bridge" of sorts which works only when there is minimum flow. Given the rains, I believe that this temp bridge would be submerged, so Mantralya-Raichur-Manvi is not feasible. I took this route to Hampi 3yrs ago and the road b/w Raichur-Manvi (infact all the way till Hampi) was very good. But Mantralaya-Raichur was terrible.

A cousin of mine is going to Mantralaya this weekend and I'll post an update on the status of the bridge.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 07:12   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
The road bridge connecting Mantralaya with Raichur got washed out in the floods 2yrs ago. After that they have a temporary "bridge" of sorts which works only when there is minimum flow. Given the rains, I believe that this temp bridge would be submerged, so Mantralya-Raichur-Manvi is not feasible. I took this route to Hampi 3yrs ago and the road b/w Raichur-Manvi (infact all the way till Hampi) was very good. But Mantralaya-Raichur was terrible.

A cousin of mine is going to Mantralaya this weekend and I'll post an update on the status of the bridge.

Prasad
So that leaves us back to the original route, which was bad to start with!
Looks like there is no choice but to stick to the route via Adoni-Bellary-Hospet.
Old 20th July 2011, 15:51   #19

Thanks Ravi for that insight. Please let us know what your cousin finds out. If there is no good news, I will have to go through Adoni - Bellary - Hospet. I thought I would lookup Koppal - Ron Ampere, but I will hold on to it for now :(
Old 22nd July 2011, 18:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ravi for that insight. Please let us know what your cousin finds out. If there is no good news, I will have to go through Adoni - Bellary - Hospet. I thought I would lookup Koppal - Ron Ampere, but I will hold on to it for now :(
My cousin reached Mantralaya this morning and there is good news. The temp bridge still exists as the water levels are not much (realized TB dam in not full yet). He even took an auto to Panchamukhi and Bichchaale and says Cars can do that. If there is no discharge from the dam till you go, the bridge would surely last.

Prasad
Old 23rd July 2011, 18:58   #21

That is indeed good news! From what I have been seeing in news, the rains have receded but hard to predict for the next 2 weeks. Fingers crossed!! Thanks again for your help there
Old 23rd July 2011, 22:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
That is indeed good news! From what I have been seeing in news, the rains have receded but hard to predict for the next 2 weeks. Fingers crossed!! Thanks again for your help there
Keep an eye on TB dam discharge. It was 8ft away from the brim as per today's newspapers. Once the discharge starts, you'll have to hit Bellary.

Prasad
Old 28th July 2011, 22:19   #23

Has anyone done Sirsi - Yana route during rains? I am planning to visit in mid-Aug. The last time I visited (more than 15 years ago!) there was a kutcha road from "Kai Mara" side. Wondering if it would be motorable in monsoon. I will be driving a car, not an off roader.
Old 31st July 2011, 09:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Sirsi to yaana since 3 years can be erached till last mile, all you need to do is walk just for 1km. If it rains heavily you might have to encounter leaches but it is doable and it will be pretty in rains.

Expect decent to good road all the way and visit via sirsi - hegdekatta-matti ghatta-yaana. Avoid road from Kumta side which is not fully ready yet and you need to climb steps from that side and while from sirsi side it is easy one.

Ravi.
Old 1st August 2011, 20:00   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Update: Today's KannadaPrabha says the temporary bridge got submerged due to rains and discharge from TB dam on Saturday, but since water levels got receded it was opened again on Sun. Because it got submerged, the mud that was put on top layer has been washed out and the photo shows only small rocks and boulders and apparently even HTVs are using it. The water levels are almost at the same level as the bridge and they say it can max be like this for 2 days.

Prasad
Old 12th August 2011, 15:34   #26
BHPian

Folks - how much time does it take to reach Sirsi from bangalore. Is it like 8 or 10 hours via the Chitradurga route?

Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 16:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Folks - how much time does it take to reach Sirsi from bangalore. Is it like 8 or 10 hours via the Chitradurga route?

Thanks
Not more than 8 hours of conmfortable drive with breaks. Actually you can cover in 7 hours.
Old 12th August 2011, 17:17   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post

Thanks
Do note there are two routes to Sirsi. One via Shimoga/Talguppa (NH206) and the other via Haaveri (NH4).
Both distances are in the range of 400km, but second one more attractive as you fo about 330km on GQ till Haaveri.

But the problem starts there onwards. Sirsi-Haaveri is full of craters.
Here is Suhaas's reference.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2108623
Old 12th August 2011, 20:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ampere,

Suhaas's post is dated oct 2010. The situation has not changed even after 10 months?
Old 12th August 2011, 21:57   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Hi Ampere,

Suhaas's post is dated oct 2010. The situation has not changed even after 10 months?

Yes I was aware that its a year old post. But I think the status of these interior roads dont change much, as there is not much traffic on these sections.

May be others can confirm.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed