Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2011, 23:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Sirsi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes I was aware that its a year old post. But I think the status of these interior roads dont change much, as there is not much traffic on these sections.

May be others can confirm.
Last time when I traveled (in Jan) there was lot of road widening, re-laying and repairing going on. Assuming that all that would have been completed, it must be good option. Even when it was bad, the particular stretch used to take 1.5 hours (70 kms).
Old 13th August 2011, 06:13   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Last time when I traveled (in Jan) there was lot of road widening, re-laying and repairing going on.
Assuming that all that would have been completed, it must be good option. Even when it was bad, the particular stretch used to take 1.5 hours (70 kms).
Thanks for that update Guna. I hope they must have fixed that section.
As you said its 70km and hence even with minor fixes, it can be easily covered.
Old 15th August 2011, 13:59   #33
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore to Sirsi my uncle in i10 Asta usually covers in around 6 hours. Few road humps/diversion around Davangere-Haveri stretch. Bad road (20km) between Haveri-Hangal cross. Rest all superb!!

Same stretch my Driver in my Santro took 6 hours with 90 minutes break in Chitradurga. If 4 lane is fully completed and If they fix bad road between Haveri-Hangal I am sure we can reduce the travel by max. 20 minutes. For non stop super fast guy one can do it in 5 hours(I know few people in my native who completes round trip Sirsi-Blre-Sirsi in 13 hours with at least 2 hears. break in single day morning to evening).

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2011, 23:26   #34
Team-BHP Support

Its not that bad as I thought. Here is another latest update.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2468594
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:54   #35
BHPian

Planning to visit shirsi and nearby places for 3 days during the first weekend of september.
I would be starting from Mysore. Plan to join NH4 near hiriyur and take the chitradurga route.

I have noted a few places around sirsi/yellapur to visit like

Unchalli falls
Shivagange Falls
Sahasralinga
Sonda

Sathodi falls
Magodu falls

Please suggest an itinerary and any other places to visit.
I saw a lot of waterfalls mentioned in the wiki page for shirsi, please suggest the good ones which can be reached by car.
Will be traveling with parents, so short treks are not possible too.

I have already been to yana, gokarna, murdeshwara, marvanthe.

I need to be back in mysore by sunday evening(starting on friday early morning) got to drive back to bangalore on monday morning.

Last edited by figo_united : 23rd August 2011 at 16:56.
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:29   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Planning to visit shirsi and nearby places for 3 days during the first weekend of september.
I would be starting from Mysore. Plan to join NH4 near hiriyur and take the chitradurga route.
Any particular reason you want to join NH4? traveling from Mysore, it is a roundabout going to Hiriyur and Chitradurga (about 60-70 kms longer according to Google maps). Btw, which route were you planning to take from Mysore to Hiriyur? If you are taking the Nagamangala-Turuvekere-KB Cross-Huliyar route, I have heard that it is good upto Kibbanahalli Cross (NH206). But don't know the conditions after that.

I would suggest the following route which, although has few bad patches, the overall condition of roads should be good.

Mysore-Pandavapura-K R Pete-Channarayapatna-Gandasi-Arsikere-NH206-Shimoga-Anandapura-Sagar-Talguppa-Siddapura-Sirsi

Mysore to Channarayapatna is good apart from a couple of bad stretches. Channarayapatna-Gandasi is good. I have traveled on this stretch last month. Gandasi-Arsikere was good. From Arsikere it is the regular Shimoga route.

I do not have much info regarding the falls.
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:52   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Mysore-Pandavapura-K R Pete-Channarayapatna-Gandasi-Arsikere-NH206-Shimoga-Anandapura-Sagar-Talguppa-Siddapura-Sirsi

Mysore to Channarayapatna is good apart from a couple of bad stretches. Channarayapatna-Gandasi is good. I have traveled on this stretch last month. Gandasi-Arsikere was good. From Arsikere it is the regular Shimoga route.

I do not have much info regarding the falls.
The other smoother option till Channarayapatna is to take the beautiful Hassan highway till Holenarasipur and then deviate to Channarayapatna.

Beyond that its as Addy mentioned. No point taking the NH4 route.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:54   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Any particular reason you want to join NH4? traveling from Mysore, it is a roundabout going to Hiriyur and Chitradurga (about 60-70 kms longer according to Google maps). Btw, which route were you planning to take from Mysore to Hiriyur? If you are taking the Nagamangala-Turuvekere-KB Cross-Huliyar route, I have heard that it is good upto Kibbanahalli Cross (NH206). But don't know the conditions after that.
I thought of taking this route mainly because shimogga route is single laned, and the chitradurga route gives me almost 200kms of GQ drive

I'd taken this route[nagamangala-turuvekere] when I went to hampi early this year, and its in decent shape(except a couple of short stretches). Once I join NH4, it should be a cruise, atleast till haveri.

How is the shimogga route past arasikere? if it is in good enough shape to negate the GQ distance trade off, I don't mind taking that as well.
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought of taking this route mainly because shimogga route is single laned, and the chitradurga route gives me almost 200kms of GQ drive

How is the shimogga route past arasikere? if it is in good enough shape to negate the GQ distance trade off, I don't mind taking that as well.
Not at all!! It is by no means a single lane route. It is wide enough. This route is good to decent in most of the places. You will find more updates in the Bangalore-Goa thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...goa-route.html

I last went to Shimoga in a bus, so I cannot give you exact details. All I remember is that the road was bad just after Arsikere (towards Tiptur) and somewhere between Bhadravathi-Shimoga. This update is from 3 weeks back. Believe me, I was sitting in the last row of a Rajahamsa bus

Quote:
The other smoother option till Channarayapatna is to take the beautiful Hassan highway till Holenarasipur and then deviate to Channarayapatna.

Beyond that its as Addy mentioned. No point taking the NH4 route.
Btw, you can consider taking ampere's suggestion too. This stretch will be better than the regular Mysore-Channarayapatna road although it will add some 20 kms to your journey

Last edited by addyhemmige : 23rd August 2011 at 18:05. Reason: added quote
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please suggest an itinerary and any other places to visit.
There is a place called 'Jenu kallu gudda' near Magodu falls. It has a breath taking view of the western ghats.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:06   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Not at all!! It is by no means a single lane route. It is wide enough. This route is good to decent in most of the places. You will find more updates in the Bangalore-Goa thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...goa-route.html
Thanks, Shall check again.

Quote:
I last went to Shimoga in a bus, so I cannot give you exact details. All I remember is that the road was bad just after Arsikere (towards Tiptur) and somewhere between Bhadravathi-Shimoga. This update is from 3 weeks back. Believe me, I was sitting in the last row of the Rajahamsa bus.
Thats exactly my case too! travelled to agumbe recently but in an air conditioned TT and was watching movies for most of the journey, so couldn't notice the road condition.

btw, can someone give some info on the places to visit too

EDIT :

Quote:
Thanks ampere. Yes, this route is very good, travelled there when I went to udupi recently.

Quote:
There is a place called 'Jenu kallu gudda' near Magodu falls. It has a breath taking view of the western ghats.
Thanks Guna. I googled for it and found this
"The roads are manageable but at certain points they do offer a challenge for small cars"

Any update on the current conditions? I'll be travelling in my figo.

Last edited by figo_united : 23rd August 2011 at 18:13. Reason: New replies
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:14   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
btw, can someone give some info on the places to visit too
+1 to what Guna mentioned. Its one of the most beautiful places to view.
The other places is Banawasi.

EDIT:

Check this TL:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-banavasi.html

Last edited by ampere : 23rd August 2011 at 18:22.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:21   #43
BHPian

You have missed out Jen kallu gudda in the list. Its near to magodu falls. But make sure you are there during sunset.
flycatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 22:11   #44
Senior - BHPian

Till Sep. 3rd I will be around Sirsi from this week end.

figo united: I second addy's suggestion take Mysore-shimoga-jog-sirsi. Visit JOG on the way itself. by 4pm you will reach Sirsi If you leave by 6AM from Mysore.

Where do you plan to stay? Visit Sahasra Linga and hanging bridge Friday evening
itself since you can cover it in 1 hr from Sirsi (20km).

Saturday morning plan for Magod Falls (70km), try jen kallu gudda only if it is possible since heavy rain and leaches tricky in eall these areas ... and by 12noon you can come back to Sonda cross and drive via Hulekal-Vanalli (80km) (here you can try lunch, if you need help I can give you pointers)-Jaddigadde amazing single road with dense forest - drive slow Shivaganga falls (15km)(last 4 km bit mud road but metaled so car can go in rainy season). I might be near Shivaganga falls on Saturday.

You can reach back Sirsi (40km) by 4PM and visit Marikamba Temple and Banavasi (50km) too If your teram is not tired. Next day Sunday leave Sirsi by 7AM and take Siddapur road. In Kansur (12km) take right turn to Unchalli falls (25km) and after that you need to take Unchalli to Siddapura (30km) amazing road (50+ zig zag lovely curves) drive slow and drive back to Shimoga (100km) - Mysore(6PM).

You will simply love it.

PM me for any details you need. I am happy to help you anytime :-)

Ravi.

-ve things: leaches, sahasra linga you wont see anything except gusting water and hanging bridge, sonda and swarna valli matha it is just matha and temple to pay offers to GOD if you are visiting surely visit there. Shivaganga falls you can see from distance from view tower and you may avoid but if you visit on saturday we can meet :-) also you will love that 40km road, rest all worth a visit. I can try to arrange Jeep to visit Shivaganga falls to cover last 5km if you want and I have taken my cars there even during rainy season :-) so yuo can try now there is better road also. Your parents might find bit difficult to reach most of the waterfalls but you will love taking picture, expect rain GOD will be in full swing!!

Last edited by ravibhat : 23rd August 2011 at 22:19.
ravibhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 22:51   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Till Sep. 3rd I will be around Sirsi from this week end.
PM me for any details you need. I am happy to help you anytime :-)

Ravi.
Thank you so very much Ravi for such detailed info
That just about becomes my itinerary!

I read your posts on other threads about accommodation at sirsi. Any other decent lodge apart from Sapna Yatri Nivas?
Not looking at any homestay kind of place, since I would be spending most of the time on the roads.

We shall definitely try to meet up there. I will PM you my number too.

Most Viewed