Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2016, 12:21   #541
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Does it make any difference if people leave early morning ~ between 5 and 6am?
You have the answer in your post already
If you start early morning from Bangalore (say 5am), any route should be fine since eateries will open only around 6:45am or so, except CCD's and MCD's on the Mysore Road route.
Since you're heading to Coorg, you can stop at Kalyani which is on the Mysore Outer ring road and you'd already have bypassed Mysore by 7:30am if you start by 5am.

**@chandrda was planning to take the Kanakapura route and start early to avoid the Mysore Road route completely as there were some agitations earlier this week.

You can also try the Mangalore highway route:
Bangalore-Nelamangala-Bellur Cross-Nelligere-Srirangapatna-Mysore-Columbia Asia hospital-turn right on ORR-Hunsur-Kushalnagar-Madikeri

*If you take Srirangapatna-Ilwala (via Power Grid/route to Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary) to reach Hunsur road, the road may be patchy and you miss out on the break at Kalyani which is on Mysore ORR.

Last edited by NPV : 23rd June 2016 at 12:31.
Old 28th June 2016, 13:07   #542
Senior - BHPian

Adding to the misery, now watch out for this - Techie arrested for firing in the air to intimidate bus driver
Quote:
In a case of road rage, the driver of a Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) bus went through harrowing moments on Sunday morning when a Bengaluru-based techie threatened him with a gun, on Bengaluru-Mysuru highway.

The software engineer, who was incensed at not being allowed to overtake, got into an argument with the bus driver at Bidadi, after which he pulled out the gun and fired in the air.

It later turned out that the accused Sathvik (27), hailing from Madikeri and an employee of a software company in H.S.R. Layout in Bengaluru, was using an air gun. The Bidadi police have arrested him.

According to the police, the accused was going towards Mysuru in his car when he tried to overtake the Mangaluru-bound bus near Kothi Anjaneya Swamy Temple between Kumbalgod and Bidadi.

With heavy traffic flow on the highway on Sunday, Sathivik could not overtake the bus. He, however, managed to overtake near Bidadi bus-stand and forcibly stopped the bus, just 300 metres from the Bidadi police station, before picking up a quarrel with the driver Vishwanath.

He abused the driver and passengers, and later threatened them with the air gun, the police said. Vishwanath panicked at being threatened and sought the help of passengers.

Meanwhile, some people snatched the gun from Sathivik. Angry at his behaviour, his car was damaged. Following alerts from passengers of other vehicles, the police arrived and took the accused into custody and seized the air gun.
Old 29th June 2016, 08:14   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows123 View Post
The road after Kanakpura is a bliss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Had tested this route last month while on the way to Kannur. Kanakapura-Malavalli was excellent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Road conditions are good since the Bannur road was relaid a few months ago, last report here mentioned about 1 Km or so near the town where work was incomplete, I'm guessing that will done by now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
**@chandrda was planning to take the Kanakapura route and start early to avoid the Mysore Road route completely as there were some agitations earlier this week.
Thanks all for the Help

I took the Mysore Road instead of the Kanakapura Road due to lack of stopping/eating options. We also needed safe/clean places to stop and prepare/feed food for my 5 month old daughter. Checked with relatives in Mandya/Srirangapatna area before leaving Bangalore and got to know that there is no disturbances in the area.

Left Bangalore on 23rd June, at 8:15 AM and encountered some traffic till Bidadi. After that it was a breeze all the way till Coorg. There was police and RAF stationed at all major junction and town till Srirangapatana. Just before Chennapatana, I stopped and check with the police if there is any disturbance. The police officer was very help full, he immediately asked his subordinate to check on wireless. The subordinate got confirmation that there is no disturbance all the way till Mysore. It took just 6 hours to reach Coorg with multiple stops.

The return journey on Sunday was not the same though as we left Madikeri at 11:30 AM and reach Gottigere at 9 PM. Not due to traffic, but my daughter fell sick and we had to stop at Hunsur and Maddur for more than hour in each place.

One thing I noticed is the number of pot holes from Maddur to Bangalore has gone up considerable especially close the divider on the right side. The vehicle kept on waving around at high speed to avoid the pot holes.

Regards
Old 29th June 2016, 10:19   #544
BHPian

I hope this helps. Drove to Masinagudi last weekend, left home at 5 AM on 25th June, reached Nanjangud at 8-8:10 AM, stopped there for breakfast. It was a very peaceful drive early morning, absolutely no traffic., except for the NICE road toll of 90/- INR, didn't spend a single penny anywhere for the remaining part of the trip

Route taken:
Koramangala->Hosa->Nice Road->Bidadi->Maddur->Mysore->Nanjangud->Gundalpet->Bandipur->Theppakadu->Masinagudi->Bokapuram

Return via the same route on 28th, Left Bandipur at 10:30 AM, reached home (koramangala) at 3:30 AM.

This was my first road trip on the mysore stretch, roads conditions were above average, key is to leave early by around 5 AM, the earlier the better. Have more drives (ooty, coorg) planned on this stretch in months to come.

Rgds,
Vinod
Old 5th July 2016, 14:23   #545
BHPian

Did Mysore to Bangalore (satellite bus-stand) in 2 hours last night. Left Mysore at 11PM and reached Bangalore at 1AM. The speed breakers are greatly reduced. However the speed breakers signs are left at many places. This causes you to slow down for a non-existent speed breaker. After a series of such signs, there comes a breaker without any signs (or I didn't notice it)!!

There is no denying that the road is better than before.
Old 9th July 2016, 11:00   #546
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a Bangalore-Mysore-Bangalore trip yesterday. Had to attend a function at Mysore, did not have too much of a time pressure as such and also was driving solo on a longer trip after several years, last probably was an Austin-Houston-Austin back in 2006!
I decided not to take Mysore Road and wanted to try Bannur route (with a twist on the onward journey for a quick visit to Karighatta if possible)
Route taken and conditions:
Onward - Indiranagar-Hosur Road-NICE Road-Kanakapura Road-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Srirangapatna-Mysore ORR-KRS Road-Mysore (Gokulam)

There was a light drizzle all the way to Kanakapura and it was a nice drive.
Started at 5:40am and reached Kanakapura at 7:00am and had a quick breakfast at Vasu Hotel, Kanakapura. NH209 is decent but twisty and narrow at few places. New tarmac after Kanakapura almost till Halagur. At some places edges of the road are wearing off due to rains and there are the small, odd potholes too.
One gets the feeling that the towns of Harohally and Halagur are right on NH209, haphazardly parked vehicles and people all around, need to be very careful and slow down completely.
Bannur Road is in great condition (for the most part) and has new tarmac mostly, except as noted below. It starts off at Malavalli town with a median for a few km and is excellent almost till the outskirts of Bannur - wide 2 laned road with good lane markings and trees on both sides (Remember Mysore Road several years ago before it was widened ?). Nearing Bannur, there is some work on fixing a median in progress, then there is a 500m patch of unfinished graveled road near the Bharat Petroleum bunk.
Then the highway narrows down and passes through residential areas like in Kollegal, need to slow down here. Again, the road widens out after that short stretch. I reached this place around 8.20am so took a right turn onto the Bannur-Srirangapatna SH, which is quite narrow but not much traffic. Made a quick visit to Karighatta on the way and joined the Bangalore-Mysore road at Srirangapatna towards Mysore. Took the right side loop of Mysore ORR by turning right at Columbia Asia hospital. Thought the road has almost 3+3 lanes plus a single lane service road on both sides, the bottleneck are the railway underpasses that haven't been widened yet and are still 2 laned! Hence a lot of paraphernalia like steel barricades, collapsible barricades and the like are used to block lanes and force vehicles to slow down, be very careful. Reached Gokulam at 9:30am.
Being a weekday and the fact that I started early, could have taken Bangalore-Mysore Road but just wanted to try the Bannur route. Oh, and you get lots of peace of mind without the maniac drivers seen on the Bangalore-Mysore road.

Return - Gokulam-KRS Road-Mysore ORR-Bannur-Malavalli-Kanakapura-Kanakapura Road-NICE Road-Hosur Road-Inner Ring Road-Indiranagar
Started from Gokulam around 2:45pm, took the ORR on the other side (the left loop from Columbia Asia hospital junction). Here again there are lots of steel barricades used to slow down vehicles. Many of them were lying on the road after falling due to winds. These again could be dangerous, be careful. The Bannur road starts off with some water logging and slush (I think there was some road work in progress but halted due to rains). Road is in good condition for the most part, except a 2Km stretch where work is being carried out (there is a board here that says "Work is Processing" ). Here, 1km is just mud and after that another km is graveled. After this stretch road is again good, till you reach Bannur. There is a culvert being constructed so only part of 1 lane on extreme right is available for all traffic, need to slow down and be careful. Reached Kanakapura at 4:30pm and home at 6:45pm. Hosur Road from the Begur signal till the Ayyappa Temple underpass was pathetically slow. Inner Ring road had it's share of slow moving traffic but wasn't dense.

In all, a good solo drive and peaceful traffic compared to Bangalore-Mysore Road.

Last edited by NPV : 9th July 2016 at 11:22.
NPV is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 08:50   #547
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

The Bangalore-Mysore road witnessed another accident yesterday that took the life of a BBMP Corporator. According to the reports, he was not at fault - A Swift car traveling in the opposite direction hurtled over the median and collided head-on with the WagonR killing him.

This road is becoming very notorious for deaths due to accidents, 1026 lives lost in the last 3 years alone

Source
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:41   #548
BHPian

Planning to go to Mysuru tomorrow morning. Thinking of taking NH48 - Nelligere - Pandavapura since I stay in North Bengaluru. I had taken this route back in 2013 and it was good back then. Any idea how it is now? This way we'll get good food stops on the NH 48 unlike Kanakapura road.
Old 22nd July 2016, 11:31   #549
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Planning to go to Mysuru tomorrow morning. Thinking of taking NH48 - Nelligere - Pandavapura since I stay in North Bengaluru. I had taken this route back in 2013 and it was good back then. Any idea how it is now? This way we'll get good food stops on the NH 48 unlike Kanakapura road.
From what I know, there are a few humps/rumbler strips but the surface itself is good.
Also, your food stop options are till Bellur Cross - Good ones are Swathi Delicacy on right side near Yediyur and Mayura on left which is very close to the Nelligere turn off.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 16:02   #550
Senior - BHPian

Travelled to and fro Bangalore yesterday. The recent rains have taken a toll on the surface. Many stretches where the top layer has peeled off for a couple of inches.

Name:  ForumRunner_20160804_160144.png
Views: 3151
Size:  245.5 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20160804_160154.png
Views: 3175
Size:  238.4 KB
schakravarthy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 12:35   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Travelled to and fro Bangalore yesterday. The recent rains have taken a toll on the surface. Many stretches where the top layer has peeled off for a couple of inches.
Travelled again yesterday and most of the bad stretches have been patch repaired.
Though not great, it's bearable now.

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-forumrunner_20160823_123436.png

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-forumrunner_20160823_123445.png

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-forumrunner_20160823_123454.png

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-forumrunner_20160823_123503.png
schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 11:28   #552
Distinguished - BHPian

The barricades are about to make a comeback on Bangalore - Mysore roads. It is supposed to be 'Crash-resistant and more durable'

News link
Old 2nd September 2016, 16:39   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
The barricades are about to make a comeback on Bangalore - Mysore roads. It is supposed to be 'Crash-resistant and more durable'

News link
I did a short trip to Madikeri, went on 25th and returned on 27th. Mysore road continues to be annoying drive as hell due to high traffic but at the same time so much fun due to eatery options . Onward journey on 25th morning we didnt witness as much traffic but evening return on 27th meant hitting peak tourist traffic coming back after day trips. Pretty much came across jams in most cities. Road has been patched up in parts. Grill type barricades were also present in some sections. Unless food options is critical, weekend evening returns on Kanakpura road are better option in my view.
Old 5th September 2016, 16:20   #554
BHPian

Friends travelling on Mysore road beware.. water issue has fired up again.. Protestors are blocking the highway in Mandya
Old 5th September 2016, 17:44   #555
BHPian

I traveled to Mysore yesterday and was back by night. But this time, I used the trains. It was a bit more expensive as I booked 2nd AC tickets but infinitesimally more relaxing than the drive. Once in Mysore, I used Uber as the distances are rather short. My bills were always below 100 bucks.

The only issue I see with this is you should probably book a hotel for overnight stay for an even better experience.

A bit on the trains - Tuticorin Express leaves City Railway station around 7am, reached Mysore before 10am. The same train leaves Mysore at 6pm and reaches back at 9pm. Very well maintained train, with 2A almost empty. Both times we had all 4 seats to ourselves. You can get pre ordered food on your seats, which is a welcome change. Overall a great experience, considering my 2 year old daughter wanted to be on a train.
pratyush6 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks