Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2013, 20:34   #511
BHPian

Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
I am a bit sore that I will miss out on the cool automatic wiper and headlights + steering mounted audio controls and the huge 205/55/16 wheels of the Linea Emotion.
That's exactly why I would choose the Vento I like the dashboard and center console lighting on the VW better. Plus you get the premium looking gear knob and steering wheel with Audio controls. The new Vento has better styled headlamps too. Anyways looks are subjective so I'll leave that part.

Last edited by Vivek Jayan : 3rd March 2013 at 20:41.
Vivek Jayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 21:42   #512
BHPian

Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Quote:
I wonder why it took 3/4 of the tank of diesel to travel 150 km. Jokes apart, he is offering me only free insurance with a few freebies including 20 litres of diesel. On road price is 1108000. He says they are sold out of 2012 models and he is getting 2013 model for me. I don't believe him as Gurudev motors' website says they still have 2012 stocks.
good that you are getting a rapid.one mr.sajith at gurudev motors seems to be a practical guy.he helped me getting the vin number and in smooth delivery of the vehicle.hope to bump into you soon in trichy
drbabuanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 22:51   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbabuanand View Post

.one mr.sajith at gurudev motors seems to be a practical guy.hope to bump into you soon in trichy
The S.A who deals with me is one Mr.Prabhu. I intend to squeeze out all I can ( money saved is money earned ). Small town Trichy, quite a lot of Rapids though! :-)
Old 5th March 2013, 20:27   #514
BHPian

I finally booked the Rapid Elegance tdi in Brilliant Silver. OTR 1141K. Free insurance, reverse parking sensors.
Thank you everyone for your inputs.
Mods planned- upgrading speakers to components. I park in the open, so not going for leather seats. I'm wondering if the headlights are sufficient or need upgrading of the bulbs with a relay... Suggestions please.

Last edited by sunsetorange : 5th March 2013 at 20:29.
Old 7th March 2013, 14:27   #515
BHPian

Quote:
I finally booked the Rapid Elegance tdi in Brilliant Silver. OTR 1141K. Free insurance, reverse parking sensors.
Thank you everyone for your inputs.
Mods planned- upgrading speakers to components. I park in the open, so not going for leather seats. I'm wondering if the headlights are sufficient or need upgrading of the bulbs with a relay... Suggestions please.
The OEM bulbs on the rapid are a big bore. Definitely upgrade is my vote, however do note Skoda only allows you to only go up to a Philips 55/60, everything else will void your warranty. Its best to speak to them before you upgrade.
I went upto Philips 55/6, it works good enough. Not enough on the highways but that alright I can live with that.
santoshr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 20:24   #516
BHPian

Dear BHPians, need some advise on picking up a sedan.

Current Car Ford Figo Titanium TDCi.

I purchased this car in September of 2011 at gurgaon, the contenders then were the Polo and the Swift. I really liked the Polo but the so much extra money wise they were asking was very hard to justify. Swift was the de facto choice then but the attrocius waiting times were a pain so got a Figo. And no I don't mean to say I settled for the Figo. I absolutely loved it, it had more space, bigger boot, great handling and was well kitted and the cherry was the really good price.
But sadly one and a half years and 30,000 km are beginning to show in the Figo, the engine is noisy, the ride comfort has deteriorated, the pick up has become slow and just today the car just died in the middle of the road at over 60 Kmph speed and I was over taking a truck with a Tata Marco Polo coming from the other side. Suffice to say, I am still shaking when I think of those two seconds. The key had to be taken to OFF position and restarted and accelerator was floored in fifth gear and then immediate shifting to second gear and just THANK GOD, the occupants of the car and ME live to write another post on Team BHP.

I was to be honest thinking of an upgrade for a month now but this incident of today has just jolted me to get up and think.

Requirements Although a hatch will suit me fine, if I am upgrading might as well go for a Sedan moreover no hatch for sale today quantifies a change from Figo.
  • Diesel
  • Comfortable Ride
  • Below 10 Lakh or around that mark.
  • Cheap to maintain
  • Abuse Friendly

I would like to point one thing I do not want to go for the Duster or the Eco Sport. We have a Fortuner at home and most SUV type needs are fulfilled by it.

Contenders

Vento - I love this car and for all the wrong reasons, I know it would be like getting in an abusive relation ship but the looks, the interior design and that torque are just Oo la la.
I have read and read the problems faced by BHPians with VW cars so am a bit skeptical. How bad is it really and would you guys recommend. Also I have heard service is expensive.
One more thing is the old car + one rupee + balance after an year scheme worth it.

Rapid - Same car as the Vento but looks a bit plain, my opinion, Also if VW's stories are worrisome then this here is a horror story. But the package is decent and so is the price so don't know about this.

There is of course the SX4 which I really think is a great car but outdated now I guess.
Don't know much about the Scala but it looks good.

Any other options out there guys and which would you recommend.
Thanks for your help.
Old 7th March 2013, 20:45   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Dear BHPians, need some advise on picking up a sedan.

Current Car Ford Figo Titanium TDCi.

I was to be honest thinking of an upgrade for a month now but this incident of today has just jolted me to get up and think.

Contenders

Vento - I love this car and for all the wrong reasons, I know it would be like getting in an abusive relation ship but the looks, the interior design and that torque are just Oo la la.

Rapid - Same car as the Vento but looks a bit plain, my opinion, Also if VW's stories are worrisome then this here is a horror story. But the package is decent and so is the price so don't know about this.

There is of course the SX4 which I really think is a great car but outdated now I guess.

Thanks for your help.
Hi eq24

Really glad to read that you are all safe and sound. But this stalling issue of Ford Figo is not new. I have already heard it from two of my friends and both of them had equally scary and narrow escape too. Its a known issue and it seems Ford is aware of it. For one one my friend's Figo, Ford service center upgraded the ECU and the issue did not crop up again, but Ford cannot guarantee.

Regarding new car choice

What are you most scared of regarding the Vento? Even though there have been problems, its one heck of a product. The only 2 downsides I see is the poor dealership experience and not-so-good engine clutter. But, rest of the issues cannot be deal breaker.

Both Nissan Sunny and Renault Scala are decent choices. GTO himself has been using the Sunny has his family workhorse and has been satisfied overall. You can go through his thread. Scala is a Sunny in a different skin. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...workhorse.html

I would recommend you to wait for the launch of HONDA AMAZE which is just around the corner. Honda's first ever diesel engine offering for India and Amaze is stipulated to have lots of features and the price is going to be less than 10 lacs for sure, as estimated. But, Amaze does not qualify to be a proper full size sedan compared to the above choices. It can be compared to Verito, DZire, Chevy Sail, Etios as an entry level sedan. However, Honda is reliable for sure.

http://www.team-bhp.com/news/scoop-h...s-specs-leaked

And the last option could be the Fiesta, unless you want to run away from Ford completely. Not too bad, not too good.

All the best!

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 7th March 2013 at 20:49.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 21:24   #518
BHPian

Note from Team-BHP Support: Please do not reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. For the correct way to quote, please see this thread (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP). Thanks

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th March 2013 at 15:10. Reason: See note in post. PM coming up.
Old 8th March 2013, 13:27   #519
Senior - BHPian

@ EQ24 : Going through your requirements in post 516 and your replies in post 518, I would like to add the following :

a. VW Vento is still the best sedan in this category as far as the product goes. You may check the dealer behaviour at your area and not take a general view againt such a beautiful car.

b. Honda dealers are already receiving the Amaze. There is a thread by GTO on this topic. Feel it is worth the wait for some more time.

c. All the cars in the segment have been discussed except the Verna. Any particular reason to reject the same.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 13:59   #520
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  • Diesel
  • Comfortable Ride
  • Cheap to maintain
  • Abuse Friendly
I have read and read the problems faced by BHPians with VW cars so am a bit skeptical. How bad is it really and would you guys recommend. Also I have heard service is expensive.
One more thing is the old car + one rupee + balance after an year scheme worth it.
Thanks for your help.
I would suggest you check out the following with your family.
1) Vento
2) Amaze - wait and check - but a segment smaller than the other options.
3) Verna - Should have been on your list - almost looks a segment bigger, if interior comfort and features is what you are looking for then it ticks the right boxes, but in terms of the drive - expecially at higher speeds the Vento and almost all the rest would be better, but the verna is still accetable for normal usage.
4) Unless you are prepared to wait for the new refreshed SX4 what will make its way here later in the year don't consider it.
5) Frankly The Manza is superb value in this segment - proabably the best - do check out the top varient before taking a call. There is a 50K price correction as well right now.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 14:13   #521
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Requirements Although a hatch will suit me fine, if I am upgrading might as well go for a Sedan moreover no hatch for sale today quantifies a change from Figo.
  • Diesel
  • Comfortable Ride
  • Cheap to maintain
  • Abuse Friendly
Contenders

Thanks for your help.
For your requirements, especially on the first 3 points, I believe the Vento/Rapid should fit in well. Probably can include the 4th point as well, considering the feedbacks from the no. of Vento ownership threads we have. And with the recent updates, the Vento is quite well loaded on comfort features. If the 5th point has more weight, you can bring in Scala/Sunny to the mix.

I will not bring in Amaze here because it’s in a segment down from the other cars being discussed. And if you have the capacity to look across segments, it maybe a good idea to check if the Fluence E2D has any discounts running. A much bigger sedan and you have the added advantage of ESP, which is quite non-existent in the segment below.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 12:17   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
@ EQ24
a. VW Vento is still the best sedan in this category as far as the product goes. You may check the dealer behaviour at your area and not take a general view againt such a beautiful car.

b. Honda dealers are already receiving the Amaze. There is a thread by GTO on this topic. Feel it is worth the wait for some more time.

c. All the cars in the segment have been discussed except the Verna. Any particular reason to reject the same.
There are two dealers in Gurgaon, I plan to visit them next week. Let me see how that goes. Any GGNites would like to chime in their favorite dealer here. I also have the option of picking up from Chandigarah. So lets see.

I don't mind waiting for the Amaze although it looks quirky, hopefully the interiors and the drive will be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
3) Verna - Should have been on your list - almost looks a segment bigger, if interior comfort and features is what you are looking for then it ticks the right boxes, but in terms of the drive - expecially at higher speeds the Vento and almost all the rest would be better, but the verna is still accetable for normal usage.
4) Unless you are prepared to wait for the new refreshed SX4 what will make its way here later in the year don't consider it.
5) Frankly The Manza is superb value in this segment - proabably the best - do check out the top varient before taking a call. There is a 50K price correction as well right now.
See the thing about the Verna is that it is no doubt a great vehicle but and this is a big one, in today's climate when the whole industry is going bottoms up and a buyer's market is emerging, having to pay full price and wait for a product which can be bettered by the competition makes little sense to me.

I think the only two cars who justify waiting in our market is the Fortuner and the XUV 500. Both offer great benefits at the prices they command.

I quite want the new SX4, it looks good and it is a Maruti, which for me means reliability and that alone is better than all the features.

The Manza and for that matter the Linea are good products BUT buying a TATA or a Fiat knowing all too well what can and will go wrong is foolishness. This is my opinion and Fiat is only read about opinion but TATA I have experienced and no saving in the world is worth that anguish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
For your requirements, especially on the first 3 points, I believe the Vento/Rapid should fit in well. Probably can include the 4th point as well, considering the feedbacks from the no. of Vento ownership threads we have. And with the recent updates, the Vento is quite well loaded on comfort features. If the 5th point has more weight, you can bring in Scala/Sunny to the mix.

And if you have the capacity to look across segments, it maybe a good idea to check if the Fluence E2D has any discounts running. A much bigger sedan and you have the added advantage of ESP, which is quite non-existent in the segment below.
Rapid looks a bit plain with a lot of features missing although I will be going to the dealer next week. Scala is growing on me slowly is all I can say, Next week more clarity can be obtained.

I wish I could get the Fluence but that will go into the XUV pricing segment and believe me apart from the Corolla (Super Reliable) there is no car in the 10 -20 lakh pie I want to get more than the XUV. Damn you Mahindra but for all the follies it is one Sexy car.

Will update next week guys and Thanks for your inputs. Also what should I expect for a Sep 2011 Figo Titanium TDCi in near mint condition with 30,000 km on the odo and three Team BHP stickers.
Old 9th March 2013, 17:45   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24;3059590[LIST
[*]Cheap to maintain[*]Abuse Friendly[/list]

Good to know that all are safe after your Figo stalled! This one thing scares me really, and so I ruled Figo out in 2011.

You're requirements kind of rule out the germans to be very honest. We have 2 of them at home an I can safely say that they're not cheap to maintain or very abuse friendly. Japs and Koreans is what comes to my mind the minute you list these two in your requirements.

Before people target me, let me say z germans will need "more care" than a regular Jap or Korean car would.

If these two are a must have, and you can't compromise on these whatsoever look at the Honda Amaze, Renault Scala depending on the dealership experiences of owners in your city. Hyundai Verna is also a worthy contender if you can live with the handling.

If you simply must have the best car in the segment, even if it MAY through a tantrum or two, get the Vento Highline and enjoy oodles of torque!

All the best with your decision making!
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 01:03   #524
BHPian

Friends one question I posed on another thread, is the internal nvh or diesel noise inside vento improved in the latest 2013 model to make it in par to rapid?
Old 13th March 2013, 04:08   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
Friends one question I posed on another thread, is the internal nvh or diesel noise inside vento improved in the latest 2013 model to make it in par to rapid?
Yes it is at par, i have a july 2012 vento and a close friend owns a march 2012 Rapid, we both concluded that the engine noise inside the cabin is exactly same. The nvh is much better than older Vento, try to have a back to back test drive to judge it yourself, you can go to my thread and see both cars and the little difference i pointed out.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks