Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2012, 08:28   #376
BHPian

Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

I am more than ever confused. I can not even narrow down to 2-3 cars that I should TD. Here is my list.
1. Nissan Sunny – The XL Looks good overall package and remains on top of my list. The not so great review on TBHP, complaints about the brakes and the lower power in comparison to some of the others remain a concern.
2. Fiat Linea Dynamic – Great value for money. Most if not all the frills are there in this package. Was not considering this at all but the recommendations on this thread really got me interested. The after sales service is a problem, though I have owned a tata car so I can handle that.
3. Hyndai Verna – Appealing looks and almost a complete car but for the fact that my driving will consist of 30% highway runs as well. Besides will have to stretch my budget to get one of the SX 1.6 variants. The extra power on paper is attractive.
4. Skoda Rapid – Neatly done. Good anniversary offers got my attention. The after sales and spares on the other hand......
5. Vento TDI – Nothing really against this one. Just did not think too much about it, possibly because it will stretch my budget. The bigger, powerful engines of the last three of course are a big plus.
About myself – I drive daily from Delhi to Gurgaon on a Indica vista QJD that I have had for last almost 4 years. The QJD has done almost hassle free 83000 kms. As I have been driving this engine for quite sometime now, I wanted to experience a different, peppier, more powerful diesel engine and hence my initial reluctance for Fiat. I do like to zip a little while overatking and on highway drives. I am 5 feet 10 and since I drive for 2-3 hours a day, comfort is a priority too. There is a possibility that I might relocate to a smaller city in the next few years. That being the case, Fiat and Verna would score in view of scarce service stations of the other brands.
I did not really consider SX4 and Ford. Manza, Dzire and Etios are also not on the list.
Any advice/ suggestions/ recommendations will be most welcome.
Old 16th December 2012, 10:26   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelex View Post
1. Nissan Sunny – The XL Looks good overall package and remains on top of my list. The not so great review on TBHP, complaints about the brakes and the lower power in comparison to some of the others remain a concern.
Its a great VFM package at that price point. I own one and I can tell you that its the most spacious car in that segment with acres of leg room. More importantly its extremely peppy to drive in the city and the low end torque is addicting. Servicing costs are reasonable too.

Quote:
2. Fiat Linea Dynamic – Great value for money. Most if not all the frills are there in this package. Was not considering this at all but the recommendations on this thread really got me interested. The after sales service is a problem, though I have owned a tata car so I can handle that.
Its always a love or hate thing with Fiats on the forum. Overall its a call you have to take. Enough has already been said on the car.

Quote:
3. Hyndai Verna – Appealing looks and almost a complete car but for the fact that my driving will consist of 30% highway runs as well. Besides will have to stretch my budget to get one of the SX 1.6 variants. The extra power on paper is attractive.
Again a very good car if you can stretch your budget. Loaded to the grill with features. Unless you drive in speeds excess of 120-130 I don't see highway drives being an issue. So do not base your opinion on what members here say but go and TD the car and see for yourself about the handling.

Quote:
4. Skoda Rapid – Neatly done. Good anniversary offers got my attention. The after sales and spares on the other hand......
Capable car and comes with the European feel. But as you rightly said the after sales......

Quote:
5. Vento TDI – Nothing really against this one. Just did not think too much about it, possibly because it will stretch my budget. The bigger, powerful engines of the last three of course are a big plus.
I have always loved the Vento. If you can stretch your budget then this is the car I will buy.

I would say TD all of them first and then start shortlisting.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 11:02   #378
BHPian

Thanks s lot Mohit. Your comments make me feel that my assessments were more or less correct. I will test drive them and then take a decision. Can you also comment about the brakes since you own a sunny?
Old 16th December 2012, 11:22   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will test drive them and then take a decision. Can you also comment about the brakes since you own a sunny?
I didn't find the brakes weak. But then I don't drive on high speeds so you might want to assess the same yourself on the TD. In normal city and highway driving the brakes do there job. One thing here is that the brake medal might have a little more travel before the brakes apply. But then you will feel that only when you are TD a car since you are used to a different setting in your car. Once you start driving the car then you will get used to the new set of controls, if I can put it that way.
My sister drives the Sunny right now everyday for around 60 kms in the city and she finds the brakes to be a non issue.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 22:58   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks s lot Mohit. Your comments make me feel that my assessments were more or less correct. I will test drive them and then take a decision. Can you also comment about the brakes since you own a sunny?
Let me put my thoughts on this, When i drove sunny for the first time, I just couldn't adjust myself with the brakes.

I was at around 40kmph, I presses the pedal a little bit, In order to take a left turn. I pressed it a bit, No feedback. It seemed like, Brakes are not applied yet, then i presses it a bit more, The car came to almost nil speed, suddenly

But after few mins with the car and I was pretty much used to them, So it's the feedback which is lacking the car brakes, There is nothing wrong with the bite of brakes though.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 16th December 2012 at 23:03.
sameerg001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 23:09   #381
BHPian

Thank you. Shall keep that in mind while I test drive the Sunny.
Old 16th December 2012, 23:14   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
I was at around 40kmph, I presses the pedal a little bit, In order to take a left turn. I pressed it a bit, No feedback. It seemed like, Brakes are not applied yet, then i presses it a bit more, The car came to almost nil speed, suddenly

But after few mins with the car and I was pretty much used to them, So it's the feedback which is lacking the car brakes, There is nothing wrong with the bite of brakes though.
+1. Once you drive the car for sometime you will then get used to the new set of control. After that you know when to press the brakes and how much. So I would not call this a serious issue which should govern your car buying decision.
Old 17th December 2012, 10:49   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am more than ever confused....
Vento TDI – Nothing really against this one. Just did not think too much about it, possibly because it will stretch my budget. The bigger, powerful engines of the last three of course are a big plus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I have always loved the Vento. If you can stretch your budget then this is the car I will buy.
On a lighter note never understood the connection between @Travelex streaching his budget and @Dr. Mohit buying the Vento for himself.

The Vento is no doubt a very good car, but the VW service is fast acquiring a bad reputation for themselves. They are almost as good as the Skoda in this respect. Go through the Vento official review thread to know more on this.
The below comment should give you an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I am satisfied with the product, no two ways about that.

But anything service-related with VW, be it the pre-sales process, or getting the car serviced, or getting anything changed under warranty, is akin to pulling teeth. I thought it was a dealer-specific issue at first (Vidyut Motors is not the sharpest shooter on the block) but turns out that is universal. Ajmat has had a crazy experience with his Jetta being the shop for two months just to replace a broken alloy wheel. Someone's Polo got taken for a joyride and smashed up, another person's Jetta likewise. It's all on the forums- just search!

VW car owners are now in the peculiar and unenviable position of being happy as long as their car is working fine and in terminal depression every time something goes wrong with it!
Old 17th December 2012, 10:53   #384
BHPian

Thanks for pointing out the third person confusion between me and mohit
I doubt there is a car/ after sales team that has 100% satisfied customer base. Having said that, of course some are worse than the others. Probably this is an apt case of choosing the lesser evil. Skoda has long held the distinction of having pathetic customer service for some time in and outside the forum. It is sad to see that VW are trying to outdo them.
Old 17th December 2012, 11:08   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
On a lighter note never understood the connection between @Travelex streaching his budget and @Dr. Mohit buying the Vento for himself.
My mistake. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 17th December 2012, 11:14   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

The sunny and scala simply does not do much good in the areas other than 1.5 litres proven diesel engine and the space. The rest of it is below par than the competition. The noise proofing is the worst of the lot. Simply open up the carpets and you will see for yourself.

Plonking 11 lakhs for a car that does not even provide proper noise insulation is a no no for me. But the market thinks otherwise.
Old 17th December 2012, 11:23   #387
BHPian

I remember reading that the VW tdi is the noisiest of the lot. Besides the model of Sunny that I plan to go for would cost me around 9lac on road.
Old 17th December 2012, 11:44   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The sunny and scala simply does not do much good in the areas other than 1.5 litres proven diesel engine and the space. The rest of it is below par than the competition. The noise proofing is the worst of the lot. Simply open up the carpets and you will see for yourself.

Plonking 11 lakhs for a car that does not even provide proper noise insulation is a no no for me. But the market thinks otherwise.
Well said, and i am in total conjunction with you on this one, though that said, it totally comes to what the buyer actually wants out of his / her vehicle. Some want a fun, fast car to drive, they would usually go for a Vento / Rapid. Some others want a whole lot of bells, whistles & gadgets in car they would be the ones to go for the Verna & the linea (though the latter looses out thanks in no small way to its Service Stations), some would want a peace of mind with a well-rounded product this is where the Sx4 comes in. While some others would want a decent vehicle with good space on offer to go along with a premium tag, this is where IMHO the Sunny / Scala come into the picture.

Sunny more so & the Scala to a lesser extent are excellent VFM which offer more or less the complete package for a person who desires good space on offer to go along with a decent power which is enough for city use.
Old 17th December 2012, 11:44   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I remember reading that the VW tdi is the noisiest of the lot. Besides the model of Sunny that I plan to go for would cost me around 9lac on road.
+1. The Sunny only makes sense to me if you are going for the XL variant. The XV, although surely justifies the price difference with the extra equipment it offers, still ventures into the Vento/Verna territory. At 9L OTR you just cannot beat the Sunny for what it offers.
Old 17th December 2012, 12:25   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigyy View Post
While some others would want a decent vehicle with good space on offer to go along with a premium tag, this is where IMHO the Sunny / Scala come into the picture.

Sunny more so & the Scala to a lesser extent are excellent VFM which offer more or less the complete package for a person who desires good space on offer to go along with a decent power which is enough for city use.
Premium Tag for the Sunny and Scala which I am not sure about though. The Scala is a typical Japanese Engineering Product, but the India version is simply unacceptable. The car does not even have a proper fire retardent material under the carpet which is giving the shape to the floor of the floor. If you dont trust me, please open it up and have a look it.

In the name of cost cutting, the manufacturers are taking it too far and this applies to all manufacturers and not Nissan/Renault alone.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks