Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which C2 segment sedan would you choose?
Toyota Yaris 93 14.86%
Honda City 179 28.59%
Maruti Ciaz 48 7.67%
Hyundai Verna 169 27.00%
Skoda Rapid 67 10.70%
Volkswagen Vento 46 7.35%
Fiat Linea 17 2.72%
Other (please specify in your post) 7 1.12%
Voters: 626. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2018, 18:47   #76

Re: Toyota Yaris vs other C2 segment sedans

Voted for Skoda Rapid (specifically Diesel). Following are the reason
1. Build quality- Feels very solid and best among all
2. The look - one among the best. The presence is felt when on road
3. Control over high speed driving Best among all.Have driven Verna, City, and just test drove Yaris couple of days ago. Have not tried Ciaz but heard from others. Vento is good but felt Rapid slightly scores betterr
4. Though Skoda After Sales Service was a concern its definitely improving these days (atleast in Bangalore I have seen).

If among petrol will vote Honda City then Vento TSi
AkhileshY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 20:00   #77
BHPian

I almost voted the Linea, those who voted for this get a big cheer from me for loving these well built cars. I know that is not enough and a lot of other things matter, this is where the Linea will not score. Linea is for good handling and build quality.
City is what I voted for, a very popular iVTEC motor with Toyota like reliability ( not close, but comparable)
Yaris lost out on smaller wheels, Price and lack of a diesel engine right now. A 'too little too late' car this?
Rapid - Infamous service issues, lack of ASS in smaller cities.
Ciaz - body of the Ciaz is not confidence inspiring, so is the underwhelming engine.
Old 6th July 2018, 21:26   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi_jeeper View Post
Atleast here in Punjab, Skoda has a cult value, since the days of the original octavia diesel.
There is also a song by the famous punjabi singer Ranjit Bawa "chit karda Skoda la lawa, par karjay ton dar lagda" ( i wish to buy a Skoda, but i am scared of being under debt ).
A 40 lakh Kodiaq is recent. 40 lakh fortuner existed from long. And AFAIK, the song isnt that recent. Just replace Skoda in the lyrics of this song above with toyota/maruti/vw/honda/Hyundai and even the song will lose its lustre.

Says pretty much for the cult or at least niche appreciation of the car. The product is solid and sells by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Wow! I never noticed that I too say that I own a Skoda (Rapid) all these years. In fact my brother says he owns a Skoda (Fabia) and an endeavour. This is a gem of an insight.
Guess got some free time to enter into Sherlock/ACP Pradyumn mode. But I'd like to know more on how this way of nomenclature began. So far this is an interesting mystery for me at least.

Last edited by PrasunBannerjee : 6th July 2018 at 21:28.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 13:50   #79
BHPian

Voted for Honda City P

The over all engine plus design aesthetics makes it an ideal sedan in the category.
I have upgraded from Swift Dzire (2009 G13B engine). I could not find the dip in quality of the steel and paint in the Honda City.

After initial run in , the engine is really becoming smooth as butter, but the suspension is a bit hard to my likeness. Still the best in the segment.
Old 7th July 2018, 13:58   #80
BHPian

The beauty i-VTEC! That engine note after xxx kms/hr is music to ears, the rear seat comfort and the reliability etc.. The list is pretty long.
Old 7th July 2018, 23:33   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not to mention the prices of these cars are climbing every day. Top end of both City and Yaris have breached north of 19L these days and it just sounds too much money for a C - segment sedan.
19 lakhs!? Value proposition = nada.

I picked up a 2 year old, mint condition, barely out of its run-in period (11,000 km), A3 for 20. Why would anyone pick these over that?

More safety + more refinement + more premium + more power + much better quality + better looking + similar price ballpark = lots of value.

In my opinion, all C-segment cars have strange proportions and a confused design language with too many random lines and grooves running across each panel. Even the Vento and Rapid, though not confused as the others, are just not as proportionate as their big-brothers: Jetta & Octavia (and I'm probably biased because I own a Vento!).
mango_pal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 14:41   #82
SRM
BHPian

Verna for me as well.

I feel its goth the right mix of engine, features, safety. boot space and looks for a segment like this. Yes the only drawback being it is low heighted, but so are most of the others in the segment. (None of them have the ground clearance like my current SX4, which is refraining me from bidding goodbye to it)

Reading a lot about people preferring Creta/other wannabe SUVs over this segment. However, I would personally prefer Verna over the Creta as I end up spending close to 2L extra just for that body and height, not worth it in my sense. Creta should have had more things to offer for a prospective customer to upgrade, but they end up giving even lesser features compared to Verna.
Old 9th July 2018, 18:22   #83
BHPian

If only does Hyundai ever manage to carve out a comfortable and spacious back seat like the City or Ciaz in the Verna, then it will become a segment killer with all it's other attributes being it's strong point. Till then irrespective of the volumes the Honda City will continue ruling namely due to three reasons, i.e. 1) Segment best petrol engine combined with easy to drive gear box 2) Spacious and comfortable back seat 2) The Honda badge value.

The Ciaz will always sit in the middle of these two.

Unless and until Toyota properly launches a new sedan, it will continue with average sales for Yaris, which is an old model already available in the Asian markets. Nor it has the vow factor nor is it value for money like Ciaz. The only thing gong strong for Toyota Yaris is the Toyota badge value of long lasting product and solid service reputation which wll not help in this segment as all three (Verna, City & Ciaz) are strong with their strengths.
Old 9th July 2018, 19:04   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayeed View Post

The Ciaz will always sit in the middle of these two.

I guess you are not following sales figures for atleast the past year. Ciaz has been the best seller, even after city and Verna facelifts were launched.
Old 10th July 2018, 15:25   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I guess you are not following sales figures for atleast the past year. Ciaz has been the best seller, even after city and Verna facelifts were launched.
Not true - for 2017, Honda City was still the Chart Topper: URL

Honda City: 62,573 units sold in 2017
Maruti Ciaz: 47,114 units sold in 2017

That is a good 32% higher as compared to Ciaz.

The story maybe different for 2018, we have to wait and watch and this year would possibly be a tougher fight. The initial numbers show Ciaz leading by a small margin over the Verna but the game is not over yet for 2018:

Toyota Yaris vs other C2 segment sedans-c2_segment_2018.png

To me it looks like the Yaris has eaten into the marketshare of the Honda City than the other two...

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 10th July 2018 at 15:46.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 09:35   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post
19 lakhs!? Value proposition = nada.

I picked up a 2 year old, mint condition, barely out of its run-in period (11,000 km), A3 for 20. Why would anyone pick these over that?

More safety + more refinement + more premium + more power + much better quality + better looking + similar price ballpark = lots of value.
Even if you have picked the car for 19 lakhs, the actual price of the card is near 40 lakhs, so the spare and labour will be calculated at 40 lakhs, which will be way more expensive than a 15/20 lakhs car. Also, the insurance and road tax will be on the higher side as well.

Last edited by hok kolorob : 11th July 2018 at 09:42.
Old 11th July 2018, 09:52   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Not true - for 2017, Honda City was still the Chart Topper: URL

Honda City: 62,573 units sold in 2017
Maruti Ciaz: 47,114 units sold in 2017
I highly doubt the credibility of that article. Just did a quick math in our sales thread and below were the results -

City - 62,573.
Ciaz - 61,967.

The margin is a LOT lesser than what they've tried to project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
To me it looks like the Yaris has eaten into the marketshare of the Honda City than the other two...
I feel it's the new Amaze effect rather than Yaris. Wouldn't be surprised if the sales of City Diesel take a real hit. Unlike the petrol City, the diesel doesn't have any major USP over the Amaze now, especially considering the price difference between the two. And then there's the diesel CVT advantage too of the compact sedan too.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 10:20   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I
I feel it's the new Amaze effect rather than Yaris. Wouldn't be surprised if the sales of City Diesel take a real hit. Unlike the petrol City, the diesel doesn't have any major USP over the Amaze now, especially considering the price difference between the two. And then there's the diesel CVT advantage too of the compact sedan too.
That is exactly what I wrote in the new amaze thread.

Amaze is also spacious, good looking, same power train, gets CVT and it's almost 4 lakhs cheaper than the city!! City's advantage- slightly better looks and slightly more space. Guess a lot of people would go for the amaze, which is terrific vfm(unlike other Hondas)
Old 11th July 2018, 10:54   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I highly doubt the credibility of that article. Just did a quick math in our sales thread and below were the results -

City - 62,573.
Ciaz - 61,967.

The margin is a LOT lesser than what they've tried to project.
Oh! You are correct - what a fake article. Here is the month wise stats for 2017:

Toyota Yaris vs other C2 segment sedans-2017_c2_sedan.png

Quote:
Unlike the petrol City, the diesel doesn't have any major USP over the Amaze now, especially considering the price difference between the two. And then there's the diesel CVT advantage too of the compact sedan too.
The Diesel City was selling only 21% way before the Yaris and Amaze entered the market. This is one of the reason I assume that Toyota decided to introduce only the Petrol version of the Yaris...So there is not much to eat from the Diesel share for Amaze even if it has...unless the Petrol Amaze with its weak heart is also eating into the City's share...
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 11:15   #90
BHPian

Voted for a Fiat Linea. I am a Fiat fan so take that into account and own a TJet and I bought one purely because of safety aspects considering other cars in the segment.
But I would suggest the Yaris over the Linea because Fiat is focussing only on Jeeps now and not many would take a risk with a Linea today. I checked the new Yaris and feel that if you want a solid car with all safety features then Yaris is THE CAR in this segment. Solid build compared to City and Verna though not in the leagues of the Linea. The doors close with a thud and it sure is solid like a Vento or Skoda. 7 air bags on all variants is brilliant. I personally prefer solid build quality and safety over all gadgets and gimmicks and so leaning on Yaris. But price is a dampener and they priced it really high. The all disc brake version with 7 air bags is priced way too high.
If someone is too keen on the top variant only then they can as well look at the Vento automatic or Skoda Diesel DSG and they will be in same proce bracket as top variant of Yaris. But the Toyota service and ownership costs will beat the Ventos and Skodas hands down.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks