Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which C2 segment sedan would you choose?
Toyota Yaris 93 14.86%
Honda City 179 28.59%
Maruti Ciaz 48 7.67%
Hyundai Verna 169 27.00%
Skoda Rapid 67 10.70%
Volkswagen Vento 46 7.35%
Fiat Linea 17 2.72%
Other (please specify in your post) 7 1.12%
Voters: 626. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2018, 13:45   #46
BHPian

Re: Toyota Yaris vs other C2 segment sedans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not to mention the prices of these cars are climbing every day. Top end of both City and Yaris have breached north of 19L these days and it just sounds too much money for a C - segment sedan.

While I am sure we are all aware of on-road prices at our respective locations, and that prices vary decently from place to place, just wanted to clarify

the most expensive model of City (ZX Diesel) retails at 16 lakhs on road in Delhi;
the most expensive model of Yaris (VX AT) retails at about 16.3 on road in Delhi;
the most expensive model of Verna CRDI SX Plus AT retails at about 15.3 lakhs on road Delhi

While these may still be considered expensive by quite a few (and there is a separate thread on the forum discussing whether cars have become unreasonably expensive over the years), they are hardly in the region of 19 lakhs. I believe a couple of lakhs still matter in this segment and we can't round them off.

It will take another couple of generations of these cars to get to those levels. And by the time that happens, the City or a Verna will be a City or a Verna just in the name, and you will practically be getting a Civic or Elantra type car, while Civic and Elantra move to the next segment of Accord and Sonata. Much like what has happened in the last decade.

Last edited by Vitalstatistiks : 5th July 2018 at 13:50.
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 13:58   #47
BHPian

Do not find any of these sedans as VfM and as easy and cheap to maintain as a Nissan Sunny. So voted for other. If not for our bad roads, and need for a higher ground clearance vehicle, I'd have gone for the Nissan Sunny eyes closed after experiencing the spare part costs and maintenance bills on my Wife's Micra and friend's Sunny.

Honda City in it's current form is nothing home to write about, it seems to have taken the Maruti route of cheapening stuff and maximizing profits. Yaris is simply over-priced. At that price I'd put in some more and get a Jetta Manual Transmission. I'm personally not fond of Skoda (obvious) and VW group even though the quality is noticeably great, maybe few years down the line once enough long-term reviews are out, I'd happily consider a VW group car. Hyundai Verna is a great option but again I get almost the same quality in a Sunny or Linea at way less cost. As for Ciaz, I'd consider Maruti Stocks, not cars.

Views are subjective, hence no offence to any owners. Many can argue that Nissan / Fiat may exit our market anytime as well.

Last edited by jagzrk : 5th July 2018 at 14:02.
Old 5th July 2018, 13:59   #48
BHPian

My vote was for the Skoda Rapid

The tank like build, a breeze of a diesel mill, convenience of a DSG box combined with slowly but steadily improving service experience translate to the Rapid landing on the top of my list.

However, I must say that given the choice of owing a sedan versus a high seating crossover or mini-SUV, I'd any day choose the latter for the fatigue free seating position.

BTW, quite surprised to see more votes for the Rapid than the Vento.
Old 5th July 2018, 14:06   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Phew a C2 sedan poll! After having experienced a few C2 sedans extensively (ciaz, city and vento), a few sedans rarely (Verna and rapid) I personally feel C2 sedans are overrated. Come on, B+ segment hatches provide similar space, performance and look bloody darn good too. I don't need a boot as I use them rarely.

If I have to spend the 12 lakhs that I spent while buying my ciaz, I would happily buy an Abarth Punto and redline to awesomeness! I still remember cornering that lovely car at speeds I can't mention here and how floored I was to experience leech like grip it had. Hey, fossil fuel is running out, last chance before we get into electric boredom.

Coming to current C2 cars, Yaris is boring, Verna is just overrated, City and Ciaz are tinny, Vento and Rapid are fun but have terrible A.S.S(atleast in my experience). I have started suggesting EcoSport and Nexon to anyone who wants a decent car under 12 lakhs.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 5th July 2018 at 14:09.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 14:08   #50
BHPian

Disclaimers:
a) I am purist/old school (MT over AT, don't mind a noisy engine as long it performs like a stonker, yes - sheet metal thickness and "thud" matter)
b) Safety>Engine>Suspension>Gear Box>Build Quality>Looks>Features>Fuel Efficiency
c) I have to have at least some amount of driving pleasure in my daily drive
d) My vote might change after driving the Yaris only if it beats my choice in all departments in the same order mentioned at (b ) above.
==============================================
I voted for Skoda Rapid (Diesel only - MT & the DSG-AT in that order).

I don't want to say "not because I own one..." because its actually because I own one and have come to love this car over last 4 years.
I have driven all the other cars mentioned in the poll except for the protagonist of the poll (Yaris). The Yaris on paper and by its looks appears unexciting to me.
Quite surprised to see The Verna diesel AT being the leader of the board in most comments in a forum like Team BHP! I agree it is an all rounder and it has become better with the introduction of the 6 speed one in the new Verna. However, it is no match for the DSGs of the Vento and the Rapid and while the car is no more a 'boat', it is still far off from the sure-footedness of the VAG twins and the Linea (take it through a mid corner bump at 40+ and experience it - I have done it on the same stretch with a TD vehicle of Verna and my Rapid).
Among the others:
1) City (Petrol): Flimsy build quality in the newer generation cars. Otherwise a beauty.
2) City (Diesel): as unrefined as the VW diesels but not even 50% as a performer
3) Ciaz (Petrol & Diesel-SHVS): the most unexciting cars I have ever driven in this segment.
4) Fiat Linea: I would have loved to own the T-Jet had it not been for their sheer unwillingness to sell cars in India. Other than the T-Jet all other Lineas are way too sluggish
5) Vento (Diesel): Same as the Rapid but just doesn't look as good and I have felt the suspension to be slightly better tuned in the Rapid
6) Vento (1.2 TSI Petrol): Absolute pleasure to drive and would have been my choice had the Rapid Diesel and the Polo GT TSI not been around in the market.
Old 5th July 2018, 14:16   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Whoa! The Skoda Rapid beats the VW Vento in a 9:1 ratio currently. Curious to know why, since they are almost identical product-wise? Could those who voted on these share their reasoning? Even in the market, the Rapid outsells its sibling.
During a recent test drive of both cars (diesel), I found that the Rapid was:
1. More sure footed. I felt more confident while pushing it into corners as compared to Vento.
2. I felt the build quality + fit and finish was a better. Both test cars were poorly maintained and the Rapid still had no rattles. Vento on the other hand felt fairly chirpy when going over rough patches. Mind you, Vento rattled less than my Jazz and the City test car.
3. A better looker (subjective!).
4. Skoda has a more eager dealer showroom.

The differences (except for points 2 and 4) were marginal.

Among the other options in the list:
1. Yaris: Though a decent car, I feel (like many) that it has priced itself out of the segment.
2. Linea: Old aging car with a lackluster dealer network and a parent company who is not interested in selling cars in India.
3. City: Competent car. Excellent petrol and a very practical diesel. Poor build quality is what stikes City out.
4. Verna: Definitely the best looking car in this set with excellent engines. Did not find the ride quality at par with some of the others.
5. Ciaz: Brezza in a sedan format.

The two VWG cars stood out due to their auto boxes and superior build quality.
Old 5th July 2018, 14:21   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Whoa! The Skoda Rapid beats the VW Vento in a 9:1 ratio currently. Curious to know why, since they are almost identical product-wise? Could those who voted on these share their reasoning? Even in the market, the Rapid outsells its sibling.

IMO customers might think that they are getting same engine, technology & almost same brand image at less price.

Skoda's product line up starts from Rapid and however Vento is 3rd in Volkswagen line up, Volkswagen is working on Polo and Ameo aggressively to gain the market share, the same aggression by Skoda goes initially to Rapid.

I think the marketing strategies used by Skoda is much more aggressive than Volkswagen (limited editions, Monte Carlo versions & there was this awesome offer 'Buy in 2016 and pay in 2017' etc.).

Also to me Rapid looks more stylish and sharp compare to Vento.
Viraj_Guru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 14:22   #53
BHPian

Quote:
I can think of following reasons:
1) The Rapid looks trendier with visible face-lift changes
2) I have felt Skoda sales team to be more aggressive than VW (at least in Mumbai and Delhi). And in overall marketing and advertisements also Skoda seems more eager.
3) If I am not wrong, the Rapid is still a quarter Lakh cheaper than the Vento
4) I have felt the Rapid suspension to be slightly better tuned than the Vento (at least the 2015 model that I drove) for our roads.

I know I am actually hair-splitting but when both are essentially the same car, these minor things matter
Old 5th July 2018, 14:53   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Having test driven both Vento and Rapid, the latter more extensively, I think the both cars sport a classy timeless design, with Rapid outshining the Vento marginally. After the face lift, however, the Rapid has moved ahead by leaps and bounds in the looks department.

Secondly, the dealership experience itself was significantly better. All the way from organizing multiple test drives right from my doorstep to actually agreeing to take a conditional booking for the Elegant+ DSG with an no questions asked cancellation clause, in case I were to choose the about-to-be-launched S-cross.

All other things being more or less the same, the Rapid got my vote.

Mods: Please merge this with my earlier post, if necessary/possible.
Old 5th July 2018, 15:19   #55
BHPian

Voted for City (in a 2017 City i-VTech owner capacity). Without doubt City wins with hands down!

City has immense VFM proportation (especially the V variant). Add to that Honda's reliability (mechanical) and relatively better service it is no brainer.

THe V CVT variant ticks all the right boxes at competitive price.

Powerful and refined motor - Check
Reliable and smooth automatic - Check
Dual airbags, ABS + EBD - Check
Touch screen with Navigation and reverse parking camera - Check
LED DRLs - Check
Cruise Control - Check
Acres of space - Check
Huge boot - Check

No other sedan provided this at the same price.
Old 5th July 2018, 15:28   #56
BHPian

I would pick the Verna.

Reasons:

1. It gives the flexibility to choose from different options.

# MT & AT
# MT & AT in both diesel & petrol
# 3 engine options

2. Most powerful petrol & diesel engine in its class.
3. Best in class diesel engine.
4. Segment first features - ventilated seats, projector fog lamps & smart trunk.
5. Torque converter AT combines the benefits of CVT (smoothness) & DCT (performance).
Old 5th July 2018, 16:47   #57
Senior - BHPian

Having been in Bangalore for almost 8 years now even imagining a car in this segment scares me thinking of the never ending potholes and huge humps. If I have to spend that kind of money, crossovers would be my preference now unless the government suddenly wakes up and puts our road-tax money to proper use.

However if at all I had to choose any one of these sedans that would be a petrol AT only & hence my Vote goes to Yaris. Reasons :

1. No other choice mentioned gives that kind of safety kit(7 airbags) and an AT for <10L ex-showroom. Anything more I would prefer a premium compact SUV again.
2. GC seems more than the rest at 175 mm. This matters a lot in our city.
3. I usually keep my cars for a long time. So that peace of mind feeling comes with Toyota.
4. Build quality as per reviews is better than competition(Ciaz/City). Though am sure Verna would match that.

Last edited by SoumenD : 5th July 2018 at 16:49.
Old 5th July 2018, 16:57   #58
BHPian

Petrol: Honda City primarily just for its sweet engine! And also well above average after sales, resale, maintenance, etc. Basically a car you can't go wrong with. (Note: This comes from personal experience)

Diesel: TC Verna. Because for me the after sales and maintenance matter more than sheer driving pleasure.

I am confident if the poll is split for Petrol and Diesel, the above would be the voting results standalone.
Old 5th July 2018, 18:01   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_d_Kool View Post

City has immense VFM proportation (especially the V variant). Add to that Honda's reliability (mechanical) and relatively better service it is no brainer.

THe V CVT variant ticks all the right boxes at competitive price.

Powerful and refined motor - Check
Reliable and smooth automatic - Check
Dual airbags, ABS + EBD - Check
Touch screen with Navigation and reverse parking camera - Check
LED DRLs - Check
Cruise Control - Check
Acres of space - Check
Huge boot - Check

No other sedan provided this at the same price.
I voted for the City too - the V model City is very good value -especially in manual trim. In automatic too - the V CVT is comparable to the Verna VTVT SX (O) AT.

The backseat of the Verna is really poor - this was the reason for a friend of mine going in for the V CVT which he got at 13.8 L - just before GST price hike and with good discounts about a year ago.

However, it is very clear now that the halo around the City is in the dirt - Honda can no longer continue to charge a premium for the City - it would probably be a good idea to discontinue the ZX and give these features on VX @ under 17L.

The ZX plays an unnecessary role in making the City seem expensive - when in fact the mid-variants are very well priced.

Prices OTR BLR are below - add approx 8k for metallic paint.

VERNA VTVT SX MT – 12.0 L

CITY V MT – 11.84 L

VERNA VTVT EX AT – 13.52 L

VERNA VTVT SX (O) MT – 14.58 L

CITY VX MT – 14.83 L

VERNA VTVT SX (O) AT – 16.0 L

CITY V CVT – 14.63 L

CITY VX CVT – 16.2 L

CITY ZX CVT – 17.1 L

VERNA TOP END DIESEL AROUND 16.5
CITY TOP END DIESEL – 16.9 to 17.9

Last edited by Redline6800 : 5th July 2018 at 18:03.
Redline6800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 21:41   #60
BHPian

Voted for Verna.
There is already enough discussed about all these sedans. I do not want to repeat the same. I shall put my words in few lines.

The way I see the market today is 1 to 10 lakhs is ruled by Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai. And sure, these both will continue dominating in future as well.

But when the customer is looking for a car over 10 lakhs, then definitely he will visit Hyundai Showroom atleast once. Simply because, it is backed by powerful 1.6 petrol and diesel engines, interiors quality, segment best features, reliability, service network and it's fit and finish. Hyundai Verna has evolved over the years. It's because Hyundai listens to customers feedback and his changing requirements. Every facelift/new gen will be such a way that it sets a new trend in the market whether it's engine or features. This kind of approach will only continue to gain success in market. Rest of the manufacturers doesn't want to take any risk. They are still understanding the Indian market conditions and requirements after being over decade.

I own Grand i10 from 2013 onwards. Till today, the interiors never looked outdated. Not even a small rattle in car. It matches to the fit and finish of some D segment cars.

Please note:
I have voted to Verna just because it's the segment best in my personal opinion. Not because I own Grandi10. Actually, I am fan of Honda.
GRAND23 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks