Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2022, 15:20   #1891
BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Does this include the pump necessary for regeneration (assuming you are installing the plant before the water tank)? I talked to the 3M team last week and they quoted 1.25 Lakhs for the same setup, including the pump. So maybe I have to negotiate more .
He quoted 1.24 lacs and then brought it down to 1.19. I am installing a pressure pump from the underground soft water storage to supply pressure water to all the points in the house and he will throw in a solenoid valve to automatically circulate soft water for regeneration. This valve cost about ~4000 or so if i remember correctly. (Rs 4397/- precisely)

What i liked about this dealer is the fact that he was an engineer working in an MNC before and he is very professional and knows the subject.

PS: Maybe a marketing ploy, but there is a rumour that prices may go up
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 16:29   #1892
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone here built their home with AAC blocks? In the post-pandemic world, construction costs with traditional red bricks, cement and sand have shot up significantly. AAC blocks obviate the use of cement and sand and seem to have a lot of benefits -
1) AAC blocks are lightweight - this reduces the materials and consequent costs in setting up the structure's foundation, owing to the vastly reduced weight of the home
2) AAC blocks are heat insulants - as the blocks are aerated by nature, they make for cool homes and reduced electricity costs in the long run (you won't need to switch on the AC as much in summer)
3) AAC blocks don't absorb water - I have seen YouTube videos demonstrating how well these resist water. Rainwater seepage may not be a problem if we choose these blocks over red bricks.
4) Vastly reduced labor costs - One AAC block can be as big as 16 red bricks; and since each of these is light in weight, and because there's no extensive curing involved as with red bricks/cement plastering, labor costs are cut by almost 1/3rd (my estimate)

But I am not ready to put my money where my mouth is; I'm not going to use AAC blocks when I will build my home. It's simply because there are no long-standing examples for anyone to be confident in AAC blocks as a construction material. There are ~100 year old brick homes out there, but only ~2 year old AAC block homes at the most out there right now...

If there's any view on AAC blocks that you'd like to share, please do so. I might not opt for these blocks, but I would be glad if others can benefit from it, provided it is as good as they say it is.

Last edited by locusjag : 8th March 2022 at 16:31.
Old 8th March 2022, 16:34   #1893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
He quoted 1.24 lacs and then brought it down to 1.19. I am installing a pressure pump from the underground soft water storage to supply pressure water to all the points in the house and he will throw in a solenoid valve to automatically circulate soft water for regeneration. This valve cost about ~4000 or so if i remember correctly. (Rs 4397/- precisely)

What i liked about this dealer is the fact that he was an engineer working in an MNC before and he is very professional and knows the subject.

PS: Maybe a marketing ploy, but there is a rumour that prices may go up
Thank you. He quoted 1.45 Lakhs for us and said that he can give it for 1.25 Lakhs if atleast 5 people in our layout signup for it. Ofcourse this includes an additional motor, which he said, would cost around 20K.

I got the same message from him saying that the cost would be going up soon and that he is willing to give additional discount if i signup soon .
Newpunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 17:46   #1894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Thank you. He quoted 1.45 Lakhs for us and said that he can give it for 1.25 Lakhs if atleast 5 people in our layout signup for it. Ofcourse this includes an additional motor, which he said, would cost around 20K.
I think you have room for negotiation. I got the solenoid valve and 200 kgs free salt tablets
Old 8th March 2022, 20:26   #1895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
I think you have room for negotiation. I got the solenoid valve and 200 kgs free salt tablets
I might start my house construction by end of this year. Looking forward for your feedback once the setup is up and running.

On a related note, for one of my other home, we had got the 3M Scale Prevention System installed (10 years back). It was around 2 feet in length and cartridge based. While the TDS reduced slightly (dont remember exact numbers. Original TDS was around 330), the scaling on bathroom fixtures was gone. Only issue was we had to replace the cartridge every 6-8 months. Bottomline: Looking for a better solution now
akhil_007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 23:27   #1896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM_PARTHRATHOD View Post
1. Dig a square pit of 4ft by 4ft and dig till you reach the hard strate.
2. Check the old plans for footings and foundation structure.
Wow! Response to an 11 year old post. I don't even remember on whose behalf I had posted that question. Thanks anyway for the detailed response, should be useful for someone in similar predicament.
Old 9th March 2022, 10:41   #1897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
...If there's any view on AAC blocks that you'd like to share, please do so...
So my cousin's house is being constructed in my native place Nainital, right next to our house. It is a mammoth 5bhk house on a 8000sq ft plot, where I often sauntered to talk to the contractor (who btw was also constructing 5 other houses) during the day.
From his experience (and I have no way to either verify or back this up):
1. These blocks haven't been successful in construction of homes
2. He knows about tier 2/3 cities like Nainital/ Haldwani/ Pantnagar etc. and said none of these cities have attracted these blocks
3. He said these blocks face many issues (referred to them as cement blocks) namely brittleness, seepage etc.

I inferred this hesitation might also be due to lack of available skill in making houses using these blocks. He could easily get folks to make houses using standard bricks (which he said he was employing from past 10-20 years).

He usually narrated many interesting tales especially how he moved from being daily worker to a contractor. Take all this with a fistful of salt.

Last edited by ValarMorghulis : 9th March 2022 at 10:42.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 10:45   #1898
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone here built their home with AAC blocks?.
Talk with your Architect and Structural engineer about this. These should be a good alternative to the usual cement blocks which are very heavy. If your Architect is fine with these, go ahead. If you decide to go with these blocks, suggest you buy the blocks from a reputed fir, since they will also provide support and guidance on how to lay them properly
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 13:13   #1899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
So my cousin's house is being constructed in my native place Nainital, right next to our house...I often sauntered to talk to the contractor (who btw was also constructing 5 other houses) during the day.
From his experience (and I have no way to either verify or back this up):
1. These blocks haven't been successful in construction of homes
2. He knows about tier 2/3 cities like Nainital/ Haldwani/ Pantnagar etc. and said none of these cities have attracted these blocks
3. He said these blocks face many issues (referred to them as cement blocks) namely brittleness, seepage etc.

I inferred this hesitation might also be due to lack of available skill in making houses using these blocks. He could easily get folks to make houses using standard bricks (which he said he was employing from past 10-20 years).
I have spoken to 4 or 5 builders and they have all said the same thing - "bricks are a proven solution. We won't use AAC blocks." Skills to work with AAC blocks is a real issue; there's a way to store the blocks, to paste the blocks together and if not done right, it won't work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Talk with your Architect and Structural engineer about this. These should be a good alternative to the usual cement blocks which are very heavy. If your Architect is fine with these, go ahead. If you decide to go with these blocks, suggest you buy the blocks from a reputed fir, since they will also provide support and guidance on how to lay them properly
Yes, in my research I found out that every purchased batch comes with a quality certificate from the manufacturer. The problem is that I couldn't find a builder who'll work with these blocks!!
Old 9th March 2022, 13:32   #1900
Distinguished - BHPian

Most builders, contractors and even a large number of architects are not willing to work beyond the traditional ways of contruction. You’ll have to find an architect who has experience in construction with ACC blocks. He can then put you in touch with the right contractors. Alternatively, try contacting the companies making these ACC blocks. These companies may have their own tie-ups with contractors.
Old 9th March 2022, 13:56   #1901
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.... there's a way to store the blocks, to paste the blocks together and if not done right, it won't work out.......
Storing the blocks can be handled . Does it require a different cement to paste the blocks together? It is mainly a skill issue. Because, in case something goes wrong after construction, the blame game and finger pointing starts.

Best to discuss with the company who sells these blocks as to how to use them as well. Afterall it is not a rocket science to paste and join blocks. We have been doing it for centuries.

While at it, also check how is the structural integrity of the blocks. Because when the time comes to lay the electrical and water pipes , grooves will be cut in the wall using chisseling machines. These machines are not delicate nor are the people who use them. If these blocks start to crumble when grooves are cut then it will be a big issue. Better create a test wall of say 10x 10 feet size and do all the experiments on it and then decide whether to go ahead or not.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 14:06   #1902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Most builders, contractors and even a large number of architects are not willing to work beyond the traditional ways of contruction.
I am constructing a house with lime mortar and lime plaster. It is slower than the conventional method and hence more expensive though lime mortar may be just slightly cheaper than cement. Secondly we are using 350x230x50 mm bricks for exposed brick facade. They look very good.
Old 9th March 2022, 14:43   #1903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Most builders, contractors and even a large number of architects are not willing to work beyond the traditional ways of contruction. You’ll have to find an architect who has experience in construction with ACC blocks. He can then put you in touch with the right contractors. Alternatively, try contacting the companies making these ACC blocks. These companies may have their own tie-ups with contractors.
The problem right now is that the world is binary - there are those who swear by red bricks. Then there are those who sell AAC blocks (the manufacturers); they really hard-sell those. The truth lies somewhere in between...the best proof of pudding lies in its eating; but nowhere can we possibly see a 20 year old home built with AAC blocks today.
Anyhow, we've since decided to look at bricks/cement/sand for our home and the increased costs for these have thrown our plans in disarray.

Quote:
Does it require a different cement to paste the blocks together? It is mainly a skill issue. Because, in case something goes wrong after construction, the blame game and finger pointing starts.
The AAC manufacturers themselves sell a special bonding paste for it. There's a way to do it right, with a special trowel, and by applying a 3mm layer between the blocks.
And you're right - I could sense insecurity seeping from every builder that I spoke to. These guys have now been in the business for 2-3 generations and have their retired grandfathers advising them on the business. There's no way they're going to adopt new technologies.

Quote:
While at it, also check how is the structural integrity of the blocks. Because when the time comes to lay the electrical and water pipes , grooves will be cut in the wall using chisseling machines.
On paper, these blocks seem to be quite strong and allow for all manner of modifications. Some special nails will need to be used to install/fix cupboards though...

Why am I talking about AAC blocks now, if I've given up on it for my own home?
I only wish now that our society figures out a way to build more structures with AAC blocks, or with whatever alternatives exist to reduce the horrible carbon footprint that comes with construction today. I did my research on AAC blocks and have given up; that ship has sailed for me. But the fact remains that construction with red bricks involves a terrible carbon footprint. A batch of red bricks at a traditional kiln (whatever the count is) requires thousands of trees to be felled, as firewood. The red clay that is used to make bricks is robbing our society of fertile soil that could've been used for agriculture or simply for planting trees. Even transporting bricks burns a lot more diesel per Kilometre, versus lightweight AAC blocks. And then there comes the tremendous water usage in curing brick structures. AAC blocks seem to hold the key to a sustainable future...but I couldn't quite unlock this particular door.
Old 9th March 2022, 14:49   #1904
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
construction with red bricks involves a terrible carbon footprint. A batch of red bricks at a traditional kiln (whatever the count is) requires thousands of trees to be felled, as firewood. The red clay that is used to make bricks is robbing our society of fertile soil that could've been used for agriculture or simply for planting trees. Even transporting bricks burns a lot more diesel per Kilometre, versus lightweight AAC blocks. And then there comes the tremendous water usage in curing brick structures. AAC blocks seem to hold the key to a sustainable future...but I couldn't quite unlock this particular door.
Why don't you consider concrete blocks? These are cheaper than red bricks and offer equal or better strength as red bricks.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 15:05   #1905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why don't you consider concrete blocks? These are cheaper than red bricks and offer equal or better strength as red bricks.
Thanks - I'll look into it. Prima facie, concrete blocks (some types of which are even made from captured industrial fly ash, which is a good thing) seem to be quite heavy. For the type of building plan we had in mind (stilt + 2 floors), the sprung weight on the basement will probably be unsustainable, but I'll talk to a builder about it.

For reference, I have already considered interlocking bricks (which are quite heavy as well) and have been advised to not consider it for my vertical building plan. Such heavy blocks/bricks are good for ground floor or G+1 structures at the most.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks