Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2012, 09:16   #136
BHPian

Re: Buying an electric guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Wow! Guitar is amazing. Wonder why this interest did not happen long ago.
I keep asking myself that same question. Only If I started playing when I was 1, ok fine 4!
Old 1st February 2012, 01:18   #137
BHPian

Great! Today I got a copy of the Learn and Master Guitar by Steve Krenz. Yet to open the package. Would do that tomorrow. Hope I could develop my Guitar skills with this course. I will do a complete review on the course in a couple of weeks.
Old 1st February 2012, 13:18   #138
BHPian

I'm new here, so i'll just share a few things i've learnt trying to play guitar:

1. Save up and buy a good quality instrument. A bad quality instrument (wrong intonation, bad pickups, bad action) will make you give up pretty soon. Cheap does not always mean bad quality, so search around. I've seen a couple of Dean guitars under $150 that were light,had superb action, well set up etc. Sure the pickups wont be that good, but it'll sound decent. Don't go by brands, i personally feel Epiphones are overrated. I'm a huge fan of ESP and Schecter guitars. Also don't obsess about gear. Buy a good instrument and stick to it. An instrument can matter a lot but it's not a substitute to good playing.

2. Break everything down to smallest level possible and practice them. It could be something as simple as a 5 note lick or a 2 chord progression. Practice with a metronome beginning with slow speeds and progress to higher speed. If you're making mistakes, slow down. You should be able to play at a certain speed without any mistakes. This might sound very obvious, but it's not. Learning to play consistently at different speeds is key to get good at timing.

3. Timing is very important. A simple melody played in time will sound better than a complicated tune played out of time. Playing with a drum machine or better yet a band will help.

4. The best money i've spent was on a Digitech RP250 effect pedal. It had a drum machine and let me record myself. The key to improving is being able to spot what's wrong with your playing and recording yourself helps a lot.

5. Don't limit yourself mentally about what you can and cannot play. But keep your goals realistic as well of course. No matter what those ads say, you cannot play at 120bpm in 2 weeks.

6. There is no shortcut, something i've learnt the hardway. And there is no substitute for mindnumbing practice either. Most of the technical part of it is muscle memory and you have to put in the hours. I'm bad at it myself and consequently my lead playing isn't what it can be.

7. Once you reach a certain level, start trying to figure music out by ear. Incredibly satisfying, i assure you.

Phew, that was a long post. Good luck folks.
Flying Djinn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 00:07   #139
BHPian

I practiced the first lesson from the Gibson's Learn and Master Guitar course. The final exercise in the first lesson is to practice the C and G7 chords. TO practice this, I have to really stretch my second and third finger to the 5th and the 6th Strings. I practiced this for about 15 minutes and then I felt pain in my wrist. Is it because I had my left hand in a wrong position? or is this something common during beginning? I doubt that my hand position was wrong as I followed exactly what I saw in the video.

Experts advice!
Old 3rd February 2012, 08:17   #140
BHPian

Quote:
I practiced the first lesson from the Gibson's Learn and Master Guitar course. The final exercise in the first lesson is to practice the C and G7 chords. TO practice this, I have to really stretch my second and third finger to the 5th and the 6th Strings. I practiced this for about 15 minutes and then I felt pain in my wrist. Is it because I had my left hand in a wrong position? or is this something common during beginning? I doubt that my hand position was wrong as I followed exactly what I saw in the video.

Experts advice!
Its just a beginners pain because of the stretching. Because the angle of wrists of your left hand on the frets when trying to stretch your fingers, your wrists will pain.

Just a suggestion, why dont you also practice finger stretching exercises alongside the course.
Old 3rd February 2012, 08:47   #141
BHPian

Quote:

Experts advice!
1> Does it (tutorial) teach the left hand technique on the fret? It is pretty important.
2> actually start with chromatic scales. it will help in stretching your hands.
3> Practice daily!!!!

tejas
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:22   #142
Senior - BHPian

One more tip for the ppl seeking electric guitars is this:

DON't GET FASCINATED BY THE SHAPE.

You need to realize what is the most comfortable position for you while playing the guitar.
Its definitely not standing up - for most of the ppl.

While sitting down, the most comfy guitar to hold and play are those which have a "waist", and the either side of the waist has a similar weight distribution.
This helps the guitar keep its position, and you don't have to resort to your left arm strength to keep it balanced. Means - your left hand does what it is supposed to do - fret.

That means shapes like Stratocaster, Telecaster, "super strat", gibson SG (just check them out to understand what I am saying) are much superior for sitting down playing.

Les Paul, PRS shapes (which have a waist, but lopsided weight distribution + narrow waist) will always end up moving up/down. Usually these shapes require a "bed" where the butt of the guitar can remain seated. If you can find such place - then these will do great.

Wonky shapes like Flying V etc. No. Never.
They are meant for playing while standing up = On Stage.

As I said earlier: if you plan to play standing up, then no issue.
But most of the ppl WILL start off (and will continue practising even when they become pro) seated.

How do I know this?
Experience (I have Flying V as well as Strat, as well as played on Les Paul and Parker)
And simple Physics.

Last edited by alpha1 : 3rd February 2012 at 11:26.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:30   #143
BHPian

^I agree with everything you said but doesn't stop me from pining after a V or a Randy Rhoads everyday!! :

(I own a Strat btw)
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:36   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Djinn View Post
I've seen a couple of Dean guitars under $150 that were light,had superb action, well set up etc.

I'm a huge fan of ESP and Schecter guitars.

2. If you're making mistakes, slow down.

4. The best money i've spent was on a Digitech RP250 effect pedal.

5. No matter what those ads say, you cannot play at 120bpm in 2 weeks.
Superb post Djinn, one more VFM brand atleast in Mumbai is Greg Bennett. I have played their Avion AV-6 and liked it.

As far as processors go I prefer the sound BOSS and VOX offer to Digitech and Line 6. Line 6 however does emulation very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspb View Post
Marshall M2 is definitely a better option over Supro Mini. These micro amps are just for fun, when you want to practice without disturbing anyone, or when you are on the move.
What about the Yamaha THR?
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:25   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
1> Does it (tutorial) teach the left hand technique on the fret? It is pretty important.
2> actually start with chromatic scales. it will help in stretching your hands.
3> Practice daily!!!!

tejas
Yes, after watching the video, I used my left hand exactly as it was said. But like every other muscle in our body which when strained suddenly will show some resistance in the form of pain, the same is what I experience in my wrist. I hope that it fades away with practice.

Yes, I will practice daily.
Old 5th February 2012, 14:43   #146
BHPian

I'm right now into the second session of the Learn and Master Guitar course where it teaches about the Notes on the E or First String. I have a very basic silly question as to why we only have E, F and G notes on this String. Do we have to memorize these notes in any case? I do not get the login here. Am I stupid looking for logic? Experts please suggest.
Old 5th February 2012, 16:30   #147
BHPian

joe, In that session, he is just trying to teach you how to play the first 3 notes on the first string- EFG. That doesn't mean there are only these 3 notes. All strings have all the notes. The placement of the note on the fret changes from string to string, except the first and the last string as both are E strings.

You can refer to this fret diagram to see the placement of each note on all the 6 strings=
http://www.guitar-theory-in-depth.co...rd-diagram.jpg

Last edited by Astleviz : 5th February 2012 at 16:33.
Old 5th February 2012, 17:02   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
joe, In that session, he is just trying to teach you how to play the first 3 notes on the first string- EFG. That doesn't mean there are only these 3 notes. All strings have all the notes. The placement of the note on the fret changes from string to string, except the first and the last string as both are E strings.

You can refer to this fret diagram to see the placement of each note on all the 6 strings=
http://www.guitar-theory-in-depth.co...rd-diagram.jpg
Did you also use the Learn and Master Guitar course (L&MG)? I had a look at the link that you posted above. My dumb mind fails to understand it fully.

But I'm trying to go at my own page on lesson 2 in the L&MG course. I can see that I'm making progress.
joe1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 17:52   #149
BHPian

^I think you need to take a look at some basic music/guitar theory. Of course you will have plenty of questions since you are doing it yourself but its hard to reply on forums.
As you explore and play more and more you will grasp this theory quickly.

Try and read up on some common terms such as musical notes, intervals (and their relation with frets), some basic scales (C Major etc) and chord structure (Root, 3rd , 5th for major etc).
Also as to how the guitar is structured the way it is. open strings having notes EBGDAe etc. which is called Standard tuning (strings from bottom to top)
Old 5th February 2012, 21:33   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
^I think you need to take a look at some basic music/guitar theory. Of course you will have plenty of questions since you are doing it yourself but its hard to reply on forums.
As you explore and play more and more you will grasp this theory quickly.

Try and read up on some common terms such as musical notes, intervals (and their relation with frets), some basic scales (C Major etc) and chord structure (Root, 3rd , 5th for major etc).
Also as to how the guitar is structured the way it is. open strings having notes EBGDAe etc. which is called Standard tuning (strings from bottom to top)
I understood the EBGDAe as the names of the Strings from bottom to top. But does it also represent an open strumm on those respective String?

You are right and I'm currently looking at some online theory courses and would proceed once I get a clarification.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks