Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2012, 22:09   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying an electric guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
... But does it also represent an open strumm on those respective String?
Of course, but an open strum does not sound tuneful on the standard tuning!
Google Ritchie Havens' Freedom, as he played it at Woodstock, and you'll see he tunes his guitar to a minor chord (Bm?) on open strings!
Old 6th February 2012, 13:33   #152
BHPian

well yes the names of the strings are the notes that sound when you play that string "open". If you press down a string on any fret a different note will be heard.
e.g on the low E (top string) the 1st fret will be F, 2nd fret is F#, 3rd is G and so on.
On a guitar a distance of 2 frets makes up a whole note and one fret equals an interval of semi-tone or a half note.

As I said its not possible on a forum, best is to have a one on one with some one who knows this stuff and second best is read up on the net and then try/play it. good luck.

here is a great site for theory (advanced players) but still worth a look.
Free music theory lessons for experienced guitar players
Old 6th February 2012, 17:10   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Did you also use the Learn and Master Guitar course (L&MG)? I had a look at the link that you posted above. My dumb mind fails to understand it fully.

But I'm trying to go at my own page on lesson 2 in the L&MG course. I can see that I'm making progress.
Oops, accidentally clicked on the Thanks button instead of Quote.
Anyway, I didn't learn from L&MG but I reviewed it once for someone who was looking for a good online training course.

I would suggest that you also join a few online guitar forums like Indian Guitar Tabs where you will get a lot more information about your queries.
Old 7th February 2012, 18:31   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
^I agree with everything you said but doesn't stop me from pining after a V or a Randy Rhoads everyday!! :

(I own a Strat btw)
If you wish to have a Red Flying V - Randy Rhoads sharkfin shape copy, you can have a look at mine.
(Jackson Randy Rhoads - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I realize that my playing hours have gone down from few per day to few per year ... so I can let the guitar go to some suitable hands.

EDIT: just by looking at its shape makes me not want to let it go

Last edited by alpha1 : 7th February 2012 at 18:32. Reason: dayum!
Old 7th February 2012, 21:57   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
As far as processors go I prefer the sound BOSS and VOX offer to Digitech and Line 6. Line 6 however does emulation very well.
No doubt, Navin. Digitech is just a lot more affordable that's all. The Tonelab sounds sweet.
Old 7th February 2012, 22:40   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
If you wish to have a Red Flying V - Randy Rhoads sharkfin shape copy, you can have a look at mine.

EDIT: just by looking at its shape makes me not want to let it go

dammit!

wow you are in Pune...maybe we should get together sometime.
Old 7th February 2012, 23:21   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
Oops, accidentally clicked on the Thanks button instead of Quote.
Anyway, I didn't learn from L&MG but I reviewed it once for someone who was looking for a good online training course.

I would suggest that you also join a few online guitar forums like Indian Guitar Tabs where you will get a lot more information about your queries.
Thanks for the suggestion. I would stick with the L&MG sessions and practice what is said just to avoid confusion. I would also prefer to learn to read music rather than to just read the TAB. The prescribed duration for learning Session 2 is 2 weeks and in this 2 weeks (assuming I practice atleast 30 minutes a day), I should be in a position to play the following Notes:

E, F, G on the first string
B, C, D on the second string

I hope that I will also be able to fret these string alternatively with the correct strumming. Will post my updates here. I'm having fun learning Guitar. Thanks to everyone here that helped me with my questions.
Old 8th February 2012, 10:08   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would also prefer to learn to read music rather than to just read the TAB.
I started playing around 1980 (dont remember the exact year as for some time I was on borrowed guitars). I never learnt to read tab or chords. I played by copying friends. I got to a level where I used to write songs and play live (all without learning to read). I dont play much nowadays but I assume for beginners You tube must be a great tool.
Old 8th February 2012, 11:48   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
dammit!

wow you are in Pune...maybe we should get together sometime.
Haha, though I should reiterate:
Its a copy made by a Luthier from Chennai.
With Strat style bridge.

The work is immaculate.

Joe. Forget websites and books for a while.
Checkout what Navin has written.

You just need one-two sessions with a human being, face to face, to kick-start the learning process.
Then you can refer to any number of tomes on music and guitar.
Old 27th April 2012, 11:50   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
BOSS and VOX offer to Digitech and Line 6. Line 6 however does emulation very well.
Where can i buy them in India, (or Bangalore), i have trying all online web sites. Its available on ebay.in as an import. I guess this is where i would most probably pick it up. Earlier we used to call them distorter rather than processors . BTW all my equipment is ~13 years old.

Amazon has them but does not ship it to India, there is another one proguitarshop.com. The other thing is i have lost my small amp/speaker to play, now either i connect it to the bigger amp which will blast the whole house or buy something smaller. How much it costs these days?

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 27th April 2012 at 11:52.
Old 27th April 2012, 17:05   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Where can i buy them in India... there is another one proguitarshop.com. The other thing is i have lost my small amp/speaker to play, now either i connect it to the bigger amp which will blast the whole house or buy something smaller. How much it costs these days?
Line 6 and VOX are available at Furtados and Digitech is at Musicians Mall.

If you like emulations Line 6 is a good option if a reliability and tubey sound quality is what you want the BOSS GT10 (this is an old model there is a new model now I assume) is a good option. I like BOSS as it is really hardy and can take stage duty well.

If you dont need emulations and all that jazz the Vox AC4TV is a nice small amp. For those on a budget the Fender Champion 600 or Bugera V5 are diffcult to beat for sound.

If you have the budget a very nice portable alternate (I have not heard it) is the Yamaha THR 10 (about the price of the Vox AC4). I have only seen the Vox in Mumbai. Others I have heard in Singapore.

I dont play anymore. My son does. He has a Marshall Lead 12 (Solid state) and Studio 15 (Tube) for practice and a 1974x clone (modified with a VVR) for stage.
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:22   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Where can i buy them in India, (or Bangalore), i have trying all online web sites. Its available on ebay.in as an import. I guess this is where i would most probably pick it up. Earlier we used to call them distorter rather than processors . BTW all my equipment is ~13 years old.

Amazon has them but does not ship it to India, there is another one proguitarshop.com. The other thing is i have lost my small amp/speaker to play, now either i connect it to the bigger amp which will blast the whole house or buy something smaller. How much it costs these days?
Have you tried bajaao.com ? If you're in Bangalore, you should check out Furtados (digitech mostly and boss/line6 too), Reynolds (line6 dealers), World of Music (Boss dealers), Soundlitz (everything popular). Furtados is in koramangala, everything else is near residency road/brigade road.

You can also check out furtadosonline.com

Also, if you're planning to get a processor mainly for the preamp emulations of vintage amps (like Boss GT 10/100 or Line6 etc), then you should also get yourself a keyboard amp (or one that amplifies the source signal without adding its own sound).

Another option is to get an amp that has an Effects SEND/RETURN or an LINE-in/AUX-in input.

After setting your patches on your processor, you'll find that it sounds different on someone else amp, leading to tweaking in the last minute.

I've got a Boss GT 10. I use the preamps to create my patches. I use the line-in input of the amp (which does not add color to the sound), for practice and for creating patches. On stage, I go direct to the mixer (make sure the mixer channel gain is 0, else you will lose clarity). Also, I've got global settings using which I can turn off the preamp emulation and use a real amp, if a really good one is available on stage.

If you dont mind, can you post what equipment you have? Just curious!

Last edited by datvichrox2 : 2nd May 2012 at 10:48. Reason: added more info
Old 26th June 2012, 12:56   #163
BHPian

Yes. Furtados for digitech. I got my RP500 from Furtados. Reynolds for line 6, I got my Line 6 Spider Jam and Pocket Pod from Reynolds. I also got my Fender Stratocaster Highway One(Guitar) from Reynolds.
Old 16th January 2014, 15:15   #164
BHPian

Hi, am looking at getting my kids a couple of electric guitars. Want to start with one. They both have acoustic guitars - Fender Stratocaster and another is a Japanese one, dont recall the brand.
I was considering getting them the Fender Bullet Strat from the US or India (price difference is about 2K INR). Any suggestions where to purchase in Chennai?
I've seen it online at snapdeal and baajao, wondering if I will get these prices instore...
Old 16th January 2014, 15:47   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Hi, am looking at getting my kids a couple of electric guitars. Want to start with one. They both have acoustic guitars - Fender Stratocaster and another is a Japanese one, dont recall the brand.
I was considering getting them the Fender Bullet Strat from the US or India (price difference is about 2K INR). Any suggestions where to purchase in Chennai?
I've seen it online at snapdeal and baajao, wondering if I will get these prices instore...
You can look at Saptaswara Musicals, @ Mylapore. Have a look at their website http://www.saptaswara.in/ you can check price and buy things online using this site. FYI, Fender Bullet Strat will cost you Rs. 12,000/- according to this site.

But on store you can bargain a bit, the guy at the cash counter decides and throw in some decent discounts

Visit their shop @ Mylapore. They got plenty of Guitar collections and Amp ranges for amateur as well as professionals. The place is big and you can see their entire collection on display.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks