Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2011, 00:38   #106
BHPian

Re: Buying an electric guitar

I would like to add something...

I see a bunch of discussion about Indian-made guitars. I personally own over 20 guitars, mostly Gibson, Jackson, Ibanez and B.C. Rich (USA-made). Having said this, I also own an entry-level Jackson Kelly, which is made in India. I will say, the quality and sound on this guitar is stunning. Its build quality equally matches the Japanese-made Jacksons. This guitar impresses the heck out of me and the price is right. You may ask, why do I own it? Because it's my everyday practice guitar. It's rock solid, stays in tune, and sounds like a $2000US guitar.
Old 19th January 2012, 02:19   #107
BHPian

Guys,

Just started to play Guitar. Bought an Ibanez GSA60 BKN. Got to know through one of my friend who plays professional guitar that this is a good beginners instrument. I'm here to ask you guys for any online lessons. I just tried to follow some of the lessons online. What I could immediately notice is that, I do not get synchronization between both my hands. Is this common for beginners? Experts please suggest!

I hope that in another 6 months time with a daily practice of 30 minutes, I could play "Nenjikkul Peidhidum" a song from the tamil movie Vaaranam Aayiram. Guess I'm too optimistic!
Old 19th January 2012, 22:01   #108
BHPian

by sync if you mean you cannot hit the same string as what your left hand is fretting, then yes its a common beginner problem. Practice! that's the only advice you will see anywhere!
In a few days you will never even have to think or look at your right hand while playing.

The first few weeks/months are the toughest - least output and max input needed.
then it gets much easier......until you try a blazing fast solo that is

I have no idea about the type of music you want to play (neither do I know that Tamil song) but you can check a few sites for tabs/practice exercises (fretjam.com)
Old 20th January 2012, 01:35   #109
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a question to all you guys. I just bought the guitar without any amplifier. I would now like to buy one. As I would do a lot of travelling, I do not want a big bulky amp with all those good to have features. I need a smaller one probably one that fits in my back denim pocket when I play the guitar. Any suggestions? Anything from Marshall?

By the way, here is the link to the song that I was mentioning:

Last edited by joe1980 : 20th January 2012 at 01:37.
Old 20th January 2012, 09:52   #110
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 21st January 2012 at 15:58.
ruchirtnt is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th January 2012, 10:33   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a question to all you guys. I just bought the guitar without any amplifier. I would now like to buy one. As I would do a lot of travelling, I do not want a big bulky amp with all those good to have features. I need a smaller one probably one that fits in my back denim pocket when I play the guitar. Any suggestions? Anything from Marshall
Something that fits in your denim pocket?! I'm sorry mate, but that is impossible. Amplifiers are speakers, not a small device like a phone. Well you could get a small speaker which would fit in your pocket and use a 3.5mm jack to connect it with your guitar, but it won't be any good.

The smallest and best is the cube from Roland.
Old 20th January 2012, 11:40   #112
BHPian

fit in your pocket? don't think so.

like itspb said, you can get the Roland Micro Cube...I see now they have another mobile amp too (briefcase size)

Roland Micro Cube RX 5W 4x4 Guitar Amplifier with Rhythm Guide - Guitar Amplifiers - Buy online at the guaranteed lowest price in India - BAJAAO - India - BAJAO - Buy and Review Musical Instruments, Pro Audio, Studio, P.A. Audio Equipment

Roland Mobile Cube Battery-Powered Multipurpose Amplifier - Guitar Amplifiers - Buy online at the guaranteed lowest price in India - BAJAAO - India - BAJAO - Buy and Review Musical Instruments, Pro Audio, Studio, P.A. Audio Equipment

and Marshall's (low cost, low wattage solid state amps) are crap. If you want to buy a Marshall go for the tube ones.. Not sure you need all this since you are a beginner. I was surprised you went out and bought an electric guitar but not an amp. Perhaps you could have gone with an acoustic to begin with?

anwyays you are now in. If you don't want to spend lots of money on amps (yes they are very expensive if you go all tube) and do not want to burden yourself with a large amp, but only need a practise amp, then you instead of the smaller crappier 10-15W amps you can go for a MultiFX pedalboard.
e.g DigiTech RP80/100/200, Zoom G2, etc THere are plenty of them and most aren't too costly either. less than any good amp for sure.
you can connect headphones directly to these pedals and practice in peace (and keep others around you happy too). + anytime you are near an combo/amp/speaker system you can run a cable from the pedal to it as well.
Old 20th January 2012, 11:51   #113
BHPian

I just checked in Amazon if something of that sort was ever available and it seems to be.

http://www.amazon.com/Supro-Zinky-Sm.../dp/B000VCREHO

I like that very much but unsure how they would sound.

What about the Marshall M2? Looks like it has a belt clip that I can use to strap it to my waist belt.

Last edited by joe1980 : 20th January 2012 at 11:53.
Old 20th January 2012, 15:15   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I just checked in Amazon if something of that sort was ever available and it seems to be.

http://www.amazon.com/Supro-Zinky-Sm.../dp/B000VCREHO

I like that very much but unsure how they would sound.

What about the Marshall M2? Looks like it has a belt clip that I can use to strap it to my waist belt.

Sounds pretty bad to me. No clean. Get it only if you want to play rock and you desperately want a small amp to travel around with.

Marshall M2 is definitely a better option over Supro Mini. These micro amps are just for fun, when you want to practice without disturbing anyone, or when you are on the move.

I would still suggest go for the Micro Cube. It is really good for the size.
Old 20th January 2012, 20:44   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a question to all you guys. I just bought the guitar without any amplifier. I would now like to buy one. As I would do a lot of travelling, I do not want a big bulky amp with all those good to have features. I need a smaller one probably one that fits in my back denim pocket when I play the guitar. Any suggestions? Anything from Marshall?
VOX AMPLUG. This will fit your pocket.

vox amplug Results | Musician's Friend

-- Torqy
Old 20th January 2012, 21:52   #116
BHPian

I was infact looking at the Vox Amps. But which one to buy? I see many amps from the Vox models which are targetted for Rock / Metal / AC and so on. Which one should I go for?
Old 20th January 2012, 22:12   #117
BHPian

Quote:
I was infact looking at the Vox Amps. But which one to buy? I see many amps from the Vox models which are targetted for Rock / Metal / AC and so on. Which one should I go for?
Vox amplugs do not have a built in speaker, you will need to plug in your headphones. It's a good back up gizmo when you want to practice at night or when you don't want to disturb others, but it's no substitute for a proper cabinet amp, even the lower end ones.

As to which one you should buy, it depends on what kind of music you usually play. If you play a variety of music, rock or lead should be good enough.

Last edited by Astleviz : 20th January 2012 at 22:14.
Old 21st January 2012, 01:16   #118
BHPian

If they do not have any speakers, then what the point in buying them? If I still have to connect them to a speaker. Well, I now understand that they are pre amplifiers. I don't need them.

I'm now left with the Marshall M2. But seriously thinking if I would get that. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Last edited by joe1980 : 21st January 2012 at 01:19.
Old 21st January 2012, 02:05   #119
BHPian

If it's the only amp you'll have, avoid M2. Get the most basic marhall amp (MG-10) instead, it's an ordinary amp but still much better than those mini-amps.
Old 21st January 2012, 02:42   #120
BHPian

Quote:
If they do not have any speakers, then what the point in buying them? If I still have to connect them to a speaker. Well, I now understand that they are pre amplifiers. I don't need them.

I'm now left with the Marshall M2. But seriously thinking if I would get that. Thanks for all your suggestions.
VOX Amplug is NOT a pre-amp. It is a miniature amplifier which requires headphones to listen to. It is meant for practice purposes only.

I'm not aware of an amp with speaker which fill fit a pocket.

-- Torqy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks