Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2012, 05:12   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980
If they do not have any speakers, then what the point in buying them? If I still have to connect them to a speaker. Well, I now understand that they are pre amplifiers. I don't need them.

I'm now left with the Marshall M2. But seriously thinking if I would get that. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Get Roland Micro Cube. It is much better. Although it is a little bit bigger than M2, the sound quality is far superior.
Old 22nd January 2012, 18:58   #122
BHPian

Re: Buying an electric guitar

Despite all your advices, I went for the Marshall M2. I'm a dumb novice beginner and I could not make out any clear distinction between the sound quality that comes out from the different amps. Anyways, since this is just the beginning, I just decided to get the Marshall M2.

Thanks to all who were really helpful to my questions. I now need another help from you great guitarists. I want to self learn guitar and I was looking for some good self learning resources in the form of DVD's. I came across the following online materials:

Gibson® Learn and Master Guitar Review | Guitar Lesson Reviews

Free Guitar Lessons - Learn how To Play Guitar - Justin's Beginners Guitar Course v2

I would most probably go for the Gibson DVD's as they seem more practical. Any other easy stuff you guys would recommend?

This place seems to be amazing with a lot of helpful guys to provide information. Thanks Team BHP!
Old 22nd January 2012, 19:33   #123
BHPian

Gibson Learn and Master Guitar is one of the most professional and comprehensive self learning course.

You may also look this up-
Amazon.com: Esteban's Complete Guitar Course for Beginners: Esteban: Movies & TV

Here is another good course for rock lead guitar-
Amazon.com: Beginning Rock Lead Guitar DVD: Troy Stetina: Movies & TV
Old 22nd January 2012, 19:52   #124
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion. May I ask you a question on how you learned playing guitar? Did you self learn to play or were you instructed? What would you recommend? I personally would prefer to do it myself. But I do not know what sort of difference would that make when I get instructor trained. Can you pour in your suggestions?

Again I thank you very much for your help!
Old 22nd January 2012, 20:30   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
... May I ask you a question on how you learned playing guitar? Did you self learn to play or were you instructed? What would you recommend? ...
That's a very interesting question, Joe!
I think any guitarist I have met has learnt primarily by himself, possibly with a little help from friends!
It's basically up to you; how badly you want it!
Today, there is immense help available on the net; which wasn't the case when we were young! We learnt without it.
Practice, practice, practice; till your fingers bleed!
Aye, that is common with many of the budget guitars; till you develop nice, hard corns on the fingertips! After that, there is no stopping you!

Not everybody has the gift of a 'musical' ear. What does that mean?
The gifted ones can 'figure out' the chords of any song they hear; lesser mortals have to be given the chords to be able to play a song! (I belong to this less fortunate group).
Old 22nd January 2012, 21:02   #126
BHPian

I taught myself, but that was more to do with the non-availability of a good (or even half decent) guitar trainer in the town I grew up in. Having said that, I do know that there is no substitute for a proficient instructor, if you can find one. I know because over the years, I developed several wrong techniques since there was no one to correct me and now I find it hard to unlearn what I have been doing for almost 20 years. And I have no sense of timing. It is good to have an instructor around to observe and correct the flaws in your technique.

Having said that, an instructor can only teach you how to play the guitar at a basic level, how good you become depends entirely on your focus, dedication and perseverance (I didn't have any).

If you are unable to find a good instructor, or find it too expensive, then the courses I have listed earlier are good ones to start with.

And don't forget this essential technique to improve your fret board dexterity-
http://www.guitarists.net/lessons/view.php?id=89

Last edited by Astleviz : 22nd January 2012 at 21:06.
Astleviz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 21:29   #127
BHPian

I was practicing the last hour and what I found was, I'm not able to reach out to the adjacent fret using my third and fourth finger. The first and the second finger co-ordinate well, but the third and the fourth are a bit to operate. But I feel I have improved a little bit as when trying it the first day I was literally not able to operate my first and my second finger. Well, some sort of motivation here.

I feel that I would try to get the self learning DVD's and try my way out a couple of months and if I feel there is no improvement, I would then go for an instructor. Thanks guys again for all your suggestions.
Old 22nd January 2012, 21:37   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I was practicing the last hour and what I found was, I'm not able to reach out to the adjacent fret using my third and fourth finger. The first and the second finger co-ordinate well, but the third and the fourth are a bit to operate. But I feel I have improved a little bit as when trying it the first day I was literally not able to operate my first and my second finger. Well, some sort of motivation here.

I feel that I would try to get the self learning DVD's and try my way out a couple of months and if I feel there is no improvement, I would then go for an instructor. Thanks guys again for all your suggestions.
Your fingers will get used to the stretching. Practice is the only way out. So keep practicing.

You do not need to buy any DVDs. The free lessons available online are as good as those DVDs. Check out Martin Schwartz and nextlevelguitar on youtube.
itspb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 00:41   #129
BHPian

Thanks for the advice. I would still prefer to try out the DVD's. If they are worth it, will retain them. Like you all say, I'm trying to find at least 30 minutes everyday hands on my Guitar.
Old 24th January 2012, 08:13   #130
BHPian

Those frets can be really nasty, your fingers are going to burn like hell especially the third and fourth ones and you may almost feel like giving up. But keep patience and make sure to practice everyday and in 1 month you will realise that sometime you couldnt do a month back, is magically possible now.

Also, just wanted to add another point. I learnt the Guitar myself and as Astleviz mentioned one of the biggest problems of learning it yourself is that you will almost certainly learn few techniques the wrong way. It does not matter if you are playing simple songs but when you play faster stuff (heavy metal/Death metal in my case) you need to relearn and this can be pretty difficult.
So just be careful and do some research on techniques you are about to learn to find the correct way of playing it.
Old 24th January 2012, 11:17   #131
BHPian

I have not yet tried my fourth finger on the fret. I'm finding it a little bit difficult to strech my fourth finger. But like you say, I do not want to learn anything wrong my self learning without any material. I've decided to go for the Gibson Learn and Master Guitar. Hope in a month I would be much better fretting and strumming.
Old 24th January 2012, 13:35   #132
BHPian

I have a question about the height of strings. I bought an Ibanez hybrid acoustic guitar (artwood) and believe the height of strings is at max in stock guitar.
I am scared to scrape the saddle, I think I may screw it up.
Just wanted to know is it ok to do it myself or I should better give it to a shop? There are numerous video available in youtube also.
The height is quite problematic for me since the fingers pain real hard.

Also, if I reduce the height, will that affect the sound quality?
Old 24th January 2012, 15:34   #133
BHPian

It is better if you get it done from someone who does it professionally as it will also involve adjusting your truss rod. But if you are comfortable with fiddling around with your guitar, it's not exactly a rocket science, just needs some patience and experience.

Reducing the height if done properly will not adversely affect the sound quality.

Last edited by Astleviz : 24th January 2012 at 15:37.
Old 25th January 2012, 02:36   #134
BHPian

Tried following this video and was able to play myself till the 6th minute, with some hiccups. Hope repetitive practice would make it better. But Like you all mentioned, I need to develop my fret dexterity. Wow! Guitar is amazing. Wonder why this interest did not happen long ago.
Old 25th January 2012, 07:26   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
I have a question about the height of strings. I bought an Ibanez hybrid acoustic guitar (artwood) and believe the height of strings is at max in stock guitar.
Did you by any chance pick up a Hawaiian guitar?
They have the strings set pretty high so that they can be played with a steel bar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks