Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2014, 16:22   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying an electric guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Hi, am looking at getting my kids a couple of electric guitars. Want to start with one. They both have acoustic guitars - Fender Stratocaster and another is a Japanese one, dont recall the brand.
I was considering getting them the Fender Bullet Strat from the US or India (price difference is about 2K INR). Any suggestions where to purchase in Chennai?
I've seen it online at snapdeal and baajao, wondering if I will get these prices instore...
A real Fender Strat would be a fairly expensive deal.
I believe what you are talking about is Squier.

Also there are brands like Ibanez (Japanese) which makes fairly good guitars (far better than overpriced Fenders and Gibsons).

There are also brands like Yamaha, Cort and Schecter which are again pretty good quality-wise (better than Epiphone and Squiers).

OR

The best deal for you would be (if you have patience):
There is a luthier in Chennai - Tulsi / Tulasi
http://www.emando.com/builders_active/Madras.htm
http://tulsiguitars.150m.com/electric.html (this looks to be his old site, since he has made many different styled guitars by now)

The Red colored Flying V on that page is mine (made some 7-8 year ago).
He does pretty fabulous job.

Last edited by alpha1 : 16th January 2014 at 16:32.
Old 16th January 2014, 16:50   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
You can look at Saptaswara Musicals, @ Mylapore. Have a look at their website http://www.saptaswara.in/ you can check price and buy things online using this site.
Thank for the reply DRIVE_ADDICT, will visit them and call them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
A real Fender Strat would be a fairly expensive deal.
I believe what you are talking about is Squier.

The best deal for you would be (if you have patience):
There is a luthier in Chennai - Tulsi / Tulasi
Thank you alpha1. I am inclined to Yamaha/Fender due to my other equipment at home. My kids are kind of impressionable and will not be satisfied with a custom made one. You are right, I was considering the Squier and the Epiphone LP-100 Les Paul.
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:24   #168
BHPian

I ordered a Yamaha gigmaker
Yamaha Electric Guitar Package Erg121Gpii Black

Post ordering, I read quite a few negative reviews and am wondering if I should cancel my order and purchase Yamaha Electric Guitar Pacifica012 or the Yamaha Electric Guitar PACIFICA112J

Suggestions will be appreciated!
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:48   #169
BHPian

Pacifica is one of the best newbie guitars around. I seriously considered it when I bought my first electric (in the original post of this thread!) but eventually went for a cheap Ibanez GRG instead.

Also what is a Bullet Strat? you said you already had a Fender Strat?
Like alpha1 says, a real Strat is quite expensive, I guess the cheap one is the Squier indeed. Also you should have looked at stuff like ESP (LTD models like EC-50/100) and Cort (CR100/200 sound really good to me for a LP style guitar) - what type of music do your kids play/want to play on it? That should also be a consideration apart from cost/vfm factor.
Old 24th January 2014, 00:19   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Also what is a Bullet Strat? you said you already had a Fender Strat? ...what type of music do your kids play/want to play on it? That should also be a consideration apart from cost/vfm factor.
The bullet strat is the Squier. I have a fender acoustic. My kids wanna rock which is why we chose the HSH pickup model. I want to buy a good one rather than a starter model and again having to purchase a more expensive one in a years time.

Last edited by diyguy : 24th January 2014 at 00:22.
Old 24th January 2014, 12:14   #171
BHPian

Yep, HSH would be the most versatile thing for rock/metal.

Okay then you should definitely also look at Cort CR100/200 - although they are HH (LesPaul copies) - but seem to get good reviews and have great specs - mahogany body - set-in neck etc!!!! that too under 20k)

http://www.bajaao.com/shop/5-guitars...?keyword=cr200
Old 24th January 2014, 15:33   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
My kids are kind of impressionable and will not be satisfied with a custom made one.
Didn't get this bit actually ...
As far as I knew, given a choice and if one trusts the luthier - most guitarists would prefer a custom built guitar.
Shape, color, finish, wood, frets, pickups, tuners, pickups switch, volume knobs, tone knobs, potentiometers, bridge, tremolo, ... (have I missed anything?) according to the guitarists choice.
Old 24th January 2014, 15:54   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Didn't get this bit actually ...
As far as I knew, given a choice and if one trusts the luthier - most guitarists would prefer a custom built guitar.
Shape, color, finish, wood, frets, pickups, tuners, pickups switch, volume knobs, tone knobs, potentiometers, bridge, tremolo, ... (have I missed anything?) according to the guitarists choice.
No, you are right, but my kids are at the age where brands matter to them - Fender, Yamaha, Nike etc... That is what I meant
Old 24th January 2014, 16:02   #174
BHPian

well then perhaps its time to tell them that brands aren't everything
You are spending the money so you should get the best thing for that rather than the cheapest thing from a "fancy" brand.

Squier/Epiphone basic models are bad. Go for a "lesser" brand but which is better in quality...Cort I think actually manufactures most branded guitars in the world anyways (entry level/mid level stuff)
Old 24th January 2014, 17:26   #175
BHPian

She is ok with Cort. Am taking her now to a couple of stores to try out what they recommend.Will check out the Cort too.
Old 24th January 2014, 19:54   #176
BHPian

Guys, i cancelled my previous order of the ERG121GPII Yamaha Gig and purchased the Pacifica 012 - Blue - Got a pretty decent rate primarily because it was a May 2012 piece and hence it had an old MRP which was 2800 lesser than current list price. I now need to get an amp, cables, bag etc. Thanks for the pointers and suggestions, appreciate the help!
Old 26th January 2014, 14:01   #177
BHPian

Will this be a practice amp or a big amp which can be used for a gig? For a small amp with a semi decent tone try the hybrid combo amps...which have a tube and not fully solid state...e.g Vox Valvetronix, Roland Cube, Peavey (I forgot the model)
Old 26th January 2014, 14:17   #178
BHPian

It will be only for practice and home use. I just ordered the Rocksmith 2014 PS3 game and was thinking of the Fender Mustang I 20w one as her practice amp.
Old 29th January 2014, 15:11   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
You can look at Saptaswara Musicals, @ Mylapore. Have a look at their website http://www.saptaswara.in/ you can check price and buy things online using this site.

But on store you can bargain a bit, the guy at the cash counter decides and throw in some decent discounts

Visit their shop @ Mylapore. They got plenty of Guitar collections and Amp ranges for amateur as well as professionals. The place is big and you can see their entire collection on display.
Thanks DRIVE_ADDICT for the pointer. I was searching for a good shop to buy Yamaha FG 700S guitar. It's gift to my close friend. He had 700S in US before coming here. He liked it very much, so thought of getting him the same. Saptaswara's final price after discount was Rs. 18000/- for delivery at Coimbatore, the package includes strap, bag and strings. Though the discount was thin, their responses were good and prompt to all my queries.
Old 5th February 2014, 00:33   #180
BHPian

I got the Rocksmith 2014 for the PS3 today. Comes with a cable to plug into the guitar and has some 50 songs to learn from. It automatically chooses exercises and songs to build up your skill on the electric guitar over a period of time. My daughter tried it for about 30 mins today and it looks impressive. Starts off with tuning the guitar which was really neat!!

My ps3 is connected to a Bose Cinemate speaker system and sounded good. Wondering if I should shell out for a standalone guitar amp at all...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks