Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2006, 14:13   #31
BHPian

alright after a month or more of research etc I finally got myself a shiny new Ibanez GRG170DX
Specs:
24 frets
H-S-H pickups (2 humbuckers, 1 single coil)
standard tremolo

Also got a Laney Harcore 15W amplifier...
Got both from Furtados in Mumbai this week-end.....Its slightly over my budget but I feel its better to spend a bit more right now than have problems after buying a cheapo Givson etc.
Cost Guitar = 11k Amp = 3.6k
Got a set of strings and 3 picks only as free stuff...had to buy gig bag :-S

here it is...sorry but foto isn't too bright

Amp

Thanks to all who tried to help :-)

Rock On.

Last edited by Abhay : 6th March 2006 at 14:15.
Old 6th March 2006, 15:04   #32
BHPian

Hey Abhay, Congrats on your buy!!! Lol... Navin would sure be glad that you went in for an Ibanez. I have'nt heard any reviews about the amp you bought, so i'll refrain from commenting on it.
I know that you just bought youself a guitar and an amp, and so would be low on resources... but I still think this is a really good time to ask you for a treat!!!

Happy playing!!!

Godspeed.

Alok.

Last edited by ghostrider4385 : 6th March 2006 at 15:07.
Old 6th March 2006, 16:34   #33
BHPian

lol ghostrider/Alok thanks mate!

sorry about the typo, the amp is a Laney Hardcore Max HCM15 and I think its good ..2 channels clean/distortion, cd input, headphone out - basic stuff.
1 year warranty on both, thought he tried very hard to sell off a Kramer Focus (strat copy) to me (with maple fretboard).

Well yeah some money spent, but hopefullly well spent. If ever you are in Pune, I am always free for a beer ;-)

Next up : DigiTech RP80 or Zoom 505 processor...but I will keep that on hold till I get my bearings on this combo...
Old 6th March 2006, 16:49   #34
Team-BHP Support

Abhay,

enjoy. Hope you tested the Ibanez out before you bought it. I have not held a guitar for about 15 maybe even 20 years so my knowledge is kinda dated.

BTW get yourself a good guitar stand. they are not expensive.

here are laney reviews.
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Laney/

here is their website
http://www.laney.co.uk/site.htm

Last edited by navin : 6th March 2006 at 16:51.
Old 6th March 2006, 17:01   #35
BHPian

Thx navin ..of course I played it including playing the newly bought combination together right in the shop itself.
Thanks to mentions of Harmony Central where I had read reviews of Laney amps as well as Ibanez guitars (GRX20, GRX40, GRG170) which fell in my budget..A wek ago I also had played a Pacifica 012 with a Laney amp so had an idea about actual sound it produces to go along with the reviews as well.
Old 23rd April 2006, 14:51   #36
BHPian

So Abhay...have you picked up your equipment yet? If yes...what is the list?
Old 25th April 2006, 13:40   #37
BHPian

Yep turbo, check my post above
I now own -

Guitar : Ibanez GRG170DX
Amp : Laney HCM15
DigiTech RP80 Modelling Processor.

Some decenttones to be had from that combo...of course keep in mind that its beginner stuff :-)
Old 19th February 2008, 10:27   #38
Senior - BHPian

Buying Guitar

I am planning to learn how to play a guitar. I contacted a person here in Kolkata, who would be conducting the classes on Saturdays at my place. His fee for the same would be 600 Rs per month. Is that reasonable?

The main reason behind me starting this thread is to know, which guitar and where to buy in Kolkata? Being a Newbie to both Guitars and Kolkata, I am counting on you folks to help me out.

Thanks for all the replies in advance.

Last edited by safari_lover : 19th February 2008 at 10:28.
Old 12th January 2009, 14:14   #39
Senior - BHPian

Need to buy an Acoustic Guitar!

Folks,

I am planning to gift an Acoustic Guitar to my nephew and wanted to know a good brand and also the store where I can get it from here in Bangalore. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In advance.

cheers:
Old 12th January 2009, 15:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hey VJ, there is a place called Rythms. He has a good collection and a decent price. The guy is friendly and should be able to suggest something to you.
Have the address at home. Will post it tonight when I reach home.
Old 12th January 2009, 15:09   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
I am planning to gift an Acoustic Guitar to my nephew
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
I am planning to learn how to play a guitar.
His fee for the same would be 600 Rs per month. Is that reasonable?
1. My 6 year son started playing a month or so ago. We got him a Yamaha CF 40 nylon (about Rs 5000-6000). It is much easier on the fingers of a beginner than a steel string.

2. Guitar teachers in South Mumbai typically charge about Rs. 400-500 per 45-50 minute session. This includes the cost of them coming to your house. You can divide this cost between 2 students if you find it too high but I would not advise more than 2 because then you dont get enough attention.
Old 12th January 2009, 16:09   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. My 6 year son started playing a month or so ago. We got him a Yamaha CF 40 nylon (about Rs 5000-6000). It is much easier on the fingers of a beginner than a steel string.

2. Guitar teachers in South Mumbai typically charge about Rs. 400-500 per 45-50 minute session. This includes the cost of them coming to your house. You can divide this cost between 2 students if you find it too high but I would not advise more than 2 because then you dont get enough attention.
Thanks Samarth and Navin for the pointers.

Samarth, will be calling you tonight...
cheers
Old 12th January 2009, 17:13   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Folks,

I am planning to gift an Acoustic Guitar to my nephew and wanted to know a good brand and also the store where I can get it from here in Bangalore. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In advance.
Rhythm Musicals, Shop No.1, Imperial Shopping Centre, #91, Residency Road, Residency Road, Bangalore.
Its next to the old Empire Hotel.

I assume that you know about guitars, how to choose them, check for defects, playability, tuning etc. If not, its best to take somebody who knows along with you.

Its also good to have an idea about the brands / prices. This indian site should help you. Acoustic Guitars - BAJAAO.COM - India - Buy & Review Musical

-- Torqy
Old 12th January 2009, 17:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Rhythm Musicals, Shop No.1, Imperial Shopping Centre, #91, Residency Road, Residency Road, Bangalore.
Its next to the old Empire Hotel.

Acoustic Guitars - BAJAAO.COM - India - Buy & Review Musical

-- Torqy
Yup VJ thats the one. Thanks Torqy.
Old 10th February 2009, 14:27   #45
BHPian

Hi, I'll be going to Dubai next week for 4 days. I just wanted to know if i can get cheap electric guitar(new or second hand) along with a decent amp and effects b/w 6 to 7 kays? Since all the electronic items are cheap there, i am hoping the electric guitar will be too. Please help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks