Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2022, 00:21   #2311
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
What horrible penalty kicks by the Japanese. Looks like they were not prepared for it.
It was always going to be an uphill task for Japan once the regulation time was over. Once the game went into the penalties, it was the end of the road for them. Japan still lacks the temperament to excel in penalties, specially on a stage like World Cup knockouts. I was rooting for Japan from the start of the play and they were indeed playing some wonderful football. It was not their day today and Croatia with their experience came out winners. Japan can only go higher from here and I hope they do even better in the next edition.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 00:24   #2312
Team-BHP Support

I've had a soft corner for Croatia ever since Davor Suker so very happy with the result today
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 01:14   #2313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I've had a soft corner for Croatia ever since Davor Suker so very happy with the result today
Same here and Modric as well. Incidentally, Croatia has never lost in the second round ever since they started playing the World Cup !!

And coming to this Brazil- Korea match, Brazil are running riot here. Apart from the flimsy penalty, the finishing from Brazil has been just top notch. 4-0 already and it’s not even half time

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 6th December 2022 at 01:16.
Old 6th December 2022, 09:01   #2314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What horrible penalty kicks by the Japanese. Looks like they were not prepared for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan0009 View Post
Looks like Japs were not at all prepared for the penalties and took it very casually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Japan still lacks the temperament to excel in penalties, specially on a stage like World Cup knockouts.
Was thinking the same thing, they looked like they didn't expect any of their games to go to penalties and didn't prepare. But surely a world cup team would certainly have done penalties prep multiple times. Guess the big stage just got to them. And the giant Croatian goalkeeper was just superb, the player of the match! Sad though, Japan have been my favorites this tournament, such exciting football. And their awesome fans, with their keep the stadium clean practices. Hoping they keep getting better.
Old 6th December 2022, 12:49   #2315
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah same here. I so wanted them to win 2018 WC, but they just seemed to be a completely different team in the final than rest of the tournament where they were brilliant. Hope they go far this time.

But kudos to Japan too; they put a brave fight and that has been the only knockout match so far that wasn't one-sided.
Old 6th December 2022, 15:54   #2316
BHPian

Quote:
.... ever since Davor Suker so very happy with the result today
Glad you remember him!

I thought people had forgotten Davor Suker from 1998.
That was my first world cup watching and even years later I used to remember Suker for his massive chin.

Croats 3-0 knockout of Germany remains my favorite match from that WC

Last edited by HsekarK : 6th December 2022 at 16:03. Reason: added info
HsekarK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 23:17   #2317
Senior - BHPian

Oh no, god bless Barcelona today.
Old 6th December 2022, 23:45   #2318
Team-BHP Support

What kiddish penalty kicks taken by Spain today! Totally deserved to lose the shootout. They don't win shootouts anyway.
Old 6th December 2022, 23:56   #2319
BHPian

Remarkable thing about Moroccan defence is that they have not conceded a single goal against much fancied teams like Croatia, Belgium and Spain. Only goal they have conceded so far in this world cup was an OG against Canada.
IndieGooner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 01:34   #2320
avk
BHPian

Quote:
What kiddish penalty kicks taken by Spain today! Totally deserved to lose the shootout. They don't win shootouts anyway.
According to the coach, his players had practiced taking 1000 penalties before the world cup
Old 7th December 2022, 01:45   #2321
Senior - BHPian

Portugal netted 4 goals within 55' that too without Ronaldo.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 07:11   #2322
Team-BHP Support

So when I thought Japan was so weak with spot-kicks, Spain went even further with a total horror show. Somehow the body language before the shootout itself was like they have admitted defeat.
Old 7th December 2022, 09:07   #2323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Portugal netted 4 goals within 55' that too without Ronaldo.
Wondering if they actually play better without him, or this is a one-off. One article suggested that Portugal was able to play a more efficient formation without having the need to "constantly feed their goal-hungry captain". Similar speculation about France playing better without Benzema.

Interesting to consider if teams actually do better without having to plan/play around a 'talisman' player, especially post their absolute peak.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 15:40   #2324
BHPian

Fifa World Cup 2022

Couldn't believe there was no thread dedicated yet to this year's biggest sporting event, so here goes. I have been an avid football fan since I was a kid, playing it the most of all sports while at school. I grew up in Africa during the late 80s and all through the 90s, and remember the fever when the season began. Pre-google and the internet stage, we used to keep score sheets pinned up on our walls, keeping count of the goals, points, winners and losers every day. Discussions at school were entirely on football, even amongst the teachers. I am a big Brazil fan, but also have a soft spot for any African team.

The 2022 Fifa World Cup is being conducted in Qatar. Usually played during early spring/summer, this year, due to the extremely hot conditions in Qatar during the same time, the tournament has been shifted to November/December.
The 2022 Fifa World Cup Mascot:-
Name:  FIFA 2022.png
Views: 258
Size:  5.0 KB

Some stats and information to kick off:-
France is the defending champion, having won the cup in 2018, beating Croatia in the finals. France have won twice and are looking to take a 3rd cup. The most cups won is by Brazil, an all-time favorite, who have won it 5 times. Germany and Italy have won 4 times. Along with France, Argentina and Uruguay have won twice. England and Spain are one time winners.

The World Cup trophy is going to presented to the winners of the World-Cup on December 18th. Made of Gold, it weighs around 4kg and valued at about $20 million.
The Football Thread-cup.jpg

Group Stage: 32 countries play the cup and are divided into 8 groups(A to H). In the group stages, each team plays thrice with the others in the group and the top 2 proceed to the knock-out stage. 3 points to each win, 1 for a draw and 0 for loss. Other factors like goal difference, total number of goals scored, head-head record also factor in when the points for teams in a group are the same.

This is how the groups looked after the initial group stage this year. As usual, most of the top contenders qualified, however, there were some big upsets. Germany not qualifying for the knockout rounds was a shocker. This is the 2nd consecutive time Germany have not gone through to the next stage after winning the cup in 2014. Belgium, Denmark, Uruguay, Mexico also didn’t make it. The surprise qualifiers were USA, Morocco, Australia. Of-course, new countries making it to the next rounds always brings applause.
The Football Thread-group-stage.jpg

The knockout-stage(Round of 16): Started with the usual heavyweights overpowering the weaker teams. The upset here was Morocco winning Spain, in what was a vey thrilling match that ended in penalties. Spain failed to score all three of their penalty kicks. Spain were the champions in 2010 and it was sad to see them wilting under pressure this time. But big kudos to Morocco for having held their nerve under such conditions and facing a very strong team.

This is how the bracket looks at the end of the Round of 16:-
The Football Thread-ko.jpg

The quarter finals start today, 9th of December 2022 and it will be a spectacular week culminating on 18th December when the champion will be crowned. Apart from Morocco, who really deserve to be here, the others are football heavyweights. Cannot wait to see how this unravels over the next few days.
aneezan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 23:01   #2325
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fifa World Cup 2022

Oh... What a drama! 1-1 now. Their first shot on target and that too on 117th minute.

Looks like it is Croatia's match.

Edit: It is all over for Brazil...

Last edited by Latheesh : 9th December 2022 at 23:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks