Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2006, 12:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Football Thread

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/ - all the dope on the FIFA world cup available on the above link !

and who do you think will take the title ? will it Brazil again ? or do we have some surprises in store?

Im listing the top 10 contenders (most obvious ones) - whats yours ?

Last edited by normally_crazy : 2nd February 2006 at 12:21.
Old 2nd February 2006, 13:31   #2
BHPian

Wonderful thread as its one thing I look forward too every 4 years :-)
The excitement at that time even in a crickl mad country like us just tells how much big the World Cup really is.
My favourite teams are Italy (since 1990), Holland & Czech Republic (for their style of attacking play) and Argentina (again sentimental fav since I first saw a football WC in 86).

As for predictions ? I dont know as this time its quite open. I hope its not Brazil again (inspite of Ronnie being one of my favs and playing for my fav club).

England look very strong, although they have a habit of faltering many times in the WC, on paper their squad is excellent (much like the great Indian cric team ;-) ) How their manager's announcement of leaving after the cup affects them is to be seen !

Player to watch out - Wayne Rooney

Holland - Superb team under thre great but inexperienced Marco van Basten as coach, with fantastic individual players. Ruud van Nistelrooy, Dirk Kuijt, Rafael van der Vaart are all amazing forwards.

Czech Republic - a dark horse but amazing attacking qualities.
Pavel Nedved is pure class.

Italy - Doesnt look too good but Lippi is a great coach, although forward line is not settled...Luca Toni ? Cassano ? Totti ? Vieri is almost done.

Brazil - obviously they are strong and Ronaldinho is at his best right now.

Argentina - again a strong unit and they will be hoping to wipe off last cup's memories of not even making to next round.
Watch out for Riquelme, Carlos Tevez and the young kid Lionel Messi !!!! He is a master!

All in in I hope its a good cup, with great goals and matches and not much diving, cheating etc
Old 6th March 2006, 12:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

The friendlies have all gone topsy turvy - France and Argentina going down. 95 days to go now ........ the teams from the African countries now seem quite capable of causing upsets too ....man this is going to be one fun filled ride.
Old 20th March 2006, 00:35   #4
BHPian

I have a feeling Brazil would take it again.. England would be my other option..
Old 20th March 2006, 00:58   #5
BHPian

Who else could it be.. there is no match to Brazil.. they are the BEST!
Old 12th May 2006, 22:10   #6
Team-BHP Support

I voted for Brazil. I love that team - perfect blend of passion and skill.
My heart and soul however, is with England. They've given us the beautiful game, they given us the most wonderful language and they've given me my favourite cars. I'll be cheering for England.
Old 12th May 2006, 22:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

My 1st choice: Argentina. 2nd Choice: Italy
Old 12th May 2006, 22:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

A thread whose time is overdue! Look forward to all the action - I dont know much about football but I do know that England is always the most talked about team before the cup and also the least successful. I dont expect this year to be any different. All talk and no go. I'd rather back Croatia or Burkina Faso.
Old 12th May 2006, 22:34   #9
BHPian

I think Brazil will go all the way and become WC champions. Robinho and ronaldinho will be the players to look out for. England would be my favourite for runners-up. but england might not be that strong without Rooney, hope he recovers from his injury in time for the WC.
Old 12th May 2006, 23:15   #10
BANNED

Hey, It seems Brazil seems to be the favorite team here but my wishes are with Argentina ... and guys watch out for the Jr. Maradona running across the pitch !! It will be another '86 performance from them .... If not them then I wud root for the underdog team, just a habit I have --- cheering for the team thats not expected to win at all and don't ask me why coz even I dunno ......

Cheers
Old 13th May 2006, 00:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

I'd place my bets on France...Hope they regain the cup!!
Next on the list would be England and Germany
Old 14th May 2006, 10:49   #12
ECM
BHPian

I put my money on Holland.Though not much big names involved in their team rt now but somehow I rate them as a winner for this cup as by nature they are fast and furious.
Old 14th May 2006, 15:50   #13
BHPian

Brazil has always been my favourite coz of skills they have,no other team can match them about the control on ball except Argentina.

Other good teams r Italy,Argentina,England,Holland,Serbia & Montenegro[SM...previously Yugoslavia ],Sapin,czeks.

Watch out for group of death comprising Argentina,Holland,SM and one other good team,Ivory cost i believe.

I like the way brazil,Italy,sweeden,chechs and holland play this game,with passion and flair.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 14th May 2006 at 16:00.
Old 16th May 2006, 00:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

I vouch for England. I hope they clinch this one through.

X
Old 18th May 2006, 05:39   #15
ash_edged

This poll just made my day !!!!

Ha !! My exams are on at the moment ... the most awful weeks of my life ... but on this thread i voted and waited and it just made my day !!
BRAZIL rulezzz !

and the reason follows ....

thanks for boosting my confindence guyz ...

btw with rooney injured and not playing i think england has lost its chances for atleast to win ...

btw with the winnings i plan to get the combo ferrari - lambo experience of 5 laps at one of the tracks !!

cheers,
ash

Last edited by ash_edged : 18th May 2006 at 05:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks