Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2022, 16:13   #2341
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD150 View Post
I The media on the other hand is again targeting Ronaldo for not staying back with the team mates after the loss.
I wish people could just let him be. In someone's low moments that's the graceful thing to do. People express their emotions in various ways. Some like to share with others. Some want to be with themselves only. We are all humans. I wish people could respect that.

I think this was Ronaldo's final swansong. What a career he has had. He was never the most talented or skilled footballer. Probably there are 100 others who are more talented. But what he lacked in talent, he made it sure to make up in commitment, hard work and dedication to his game and to perfecting what he was good at. And that's what took him to be among probably 5 of the greatest to have played the game. He is definitely a great example to every young player playing the game. 20 years career at the top is not a joke. Even few years is extremely rare - just look at so many talented players and how long they played - Ronaldhino (arguably the most talented ever), Ronaldo9, Rooney, Kaka to name a few..

For myself, i feel privileged to have watched players like R7 and Messi at their best. That era is now coming to an end sadly. But what a time it was. Great football, and great rivalry.

Last edited by joslicx : 11th December 2022 at 16:15.
joslicx is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 19:40   #2342
BHPian

Morocco and Croatia are the only unbeaten teams still in the tournament and came through the same league group. They are on track to meet again in the finals. Hope they both make it and may the best team win. About time there is a first time winner.

So in hindsight, Belgium lost out on qualifying for the knock-outs to 2 good sides that flew under the radar and have both reached the semis on the back of spirited performances.
Fx14 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 11:34   #2343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
Morocco and Croatia are the only unbeaten teams still in the tournament and came through the same league group. They are on track to meet again in the finals. Hope they both make it and may the best team win. About time there is a first time winner.
Every time its a known team (France/Germany/Brazil/Spain/Portugal..etc.) this time it is different and hope it stays like that
Old 12th December 2022, 16:24   #2344
BHPian

Quote:
Morocco and Croatia are the only unbeaten teams still in the tournament and came through the same league group.
And I read in one of the articles that Morocco have conceded only once in regular time in all the matches. Thats quite a good defensive record against the likes of Spain, Portugal, Croatia and Belgium. How that withstands the French onslaught is to be seen.
Old 12th December 2022, 17:40   #2345
BHPian

It has definitely been an emotion filled and entertaining world cup so far.
I was sad to see Brazil getting knocked out - have been a loyal supporter ever since my school days.
I feel that both Brazil and Portugal were unlucky not to have closed out the match before penalties. Superb job done by the winning goalkeepers during the shoot out.

Hoping for an Argentina - France final; purely from the entertainment perspective.
Not that Coatia - France wouldn't be an interesting matchup. I do not think the same teams have made it to successive world cup finals in the past (disclaimer - I have not researched this topic so may be wrong)
jomson13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 17:44   #2346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
And I read in one of the articles that Morocco have conceded only once in regular time in all the matches.
Funny thing is that one goal conceded is their own goal
Old 12th December 2022, 19:59   #2347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
And I read in one of the articles that Morocco have conceded only once in regular time in all the matches. Thats quite a good defensive record against the likes of Spain, Portugal, Croatia and Belgium.
Also, the only goal they conceded was an own goal. So none of the above teams managed to actually score a goal themselves against Morocco.
Old 12th December 2022, 20:22   #2348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
I do not think the same teams have made it to successive world cup finals in the past (disclaimer - I have not researched this topic so may be wrong)
So this has happened in the past - in 1986 & 1990.

The finalists were Argentina (1986 winner) and Germany(1990 winner).
Fx14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 20:44   #2349
BHPian

This has been one heck of a World Cup. It would be more interesting if Croatia and Morocco reach the Final! My only wish is that semis should be as entertaining and intense as the quarter finals were.
Old 13th December 2022, 14:00   #2350
BHPian

I understand the game although I am not an avid fan of football.

I see a lot of members here are cheering up for Morocco and Croatia. I have watched the extra time of Morocco Vs Spain game and frankly I was not impressed. Spain was trying to attack and score goal throughout while Morocco was constantly in state of defense. The ball possession was barely 20/25%. It seemed their whole objective was to take the game to penalty shootout. Although in grand scheme of things, a win is a win but as a spectator this type of game is quite painful to watch.

Similarly, watched extra time in Brazil Vs. Croatia. Again it was a mixed bag. Brazil was the hungry team trying to score and they succeeded. But I felt it was case of Brazil going lax post that rather than Croatia going all out to score the equalizer.

I'd hope to see the games where both teams are hungry to score and win.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 14:32   #2351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
It seemed their whole objective was to take the game to penalty shootout. Although in grand scheme of things, a win is a win but as a spectator this type of game is quite painful to watch.
Agreed about that kind of football being a pain to watch. But that sort of defensive strategy has been used for a long time by various teams. Particularly by weaker teams against superior opposition and when facing more fluid, attacking teams. Most famously, Greece in Euro 2004. Like you said, a win is a win and if your team isn't blessed with the strike resources of say a Brazil, as a coach you play to your team's strengths when facing someone like them, instead to trying to match the opposition's superior strengths, right?

Add to that the enormity of a chance like this for a team like Morocco, I wouldn't be surprised if they continue with the same tactics.

Though, as the past as shown, when teams employ such a strategy, there are ways to counter and exploit that as well by the opposition, so it could backfire.

Overall though, I think this World Cup has seen most teams being more willing to attack, even after going 2-0 up, instead of just shutting the door and waiting it out. And not doing that has also backfired, with a couple of matches seeing the opposition making up even a 2-goal deficit in extra time.

Last edited by am1m : 13th December 2022 at 14:37.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 15:16   #2352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I understand the game although I am not an avid fan of football.
I'd hope to see the games where both teams are hungry to score and win.
I am assuming you didn’t have to see the World Cup 90 that was hosted by Italy. That was one of the most ugly World Cup ever. But the it is also true that that Cup also resulted in many changes afterwards and gave more protection to players from the tackles done from behind.

On a stage like World Cup, attacking to score and to defend the goal are equally important. Brazil was on the cusp of the semifinal when it failed to shore up the defence and Croatia scored just before the regulation time and same with Argentina- Holland game where a needless foul resulted in the last minute goal for Holland. Agree that defensive football is not pleasing to the eyes but is certainly used by top teams at crucial stages at an event as big as a World Cup. Just my two cents ..
Old 13th December 2022, 16:42   #2353
BHPian

Quote:
So this has happened in the past - in 1986 & 1990.

The finalists were Argentina (1986 winner) and Germany(1990 winner).
1998 : Brazil( 1994 winner) vs France . The famous 0-3 win for France with Zidane magic and notorious injury for Ronaldo
Old 14th December 2022, 10:25   #2354
BHPian

Argentina proceeds to the finals of the WC 2022 defeating Croatia 3-0, as Messi wins a record 10th FIFA WC Man of the match award.

Hoping Arg and Messi win this WC to cement him as the greatest ever
ValarMorghulis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 12:00   #2355
Senior - BHPian

Want to see Argentina face Morocco in the final and to see the Argentinians lift the cup

The Messi assist goal was just too good to watch. Watching him move was like watching it in 2x speed
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks