Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2016, 16:00   #1591
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
In all this discussion, again I see people mention that he will get ManU the trophies but that he doesn't bode well long term. Can't understand that logic though. All a team wants to win is trophies right?
Mourinho hasn't demonstrated willingness or the gumption to stick long-term anywhere, and has never built a squad from scratch like Ferguson did (multiple times). United needs major rebuilding so this will be a new challenge even for him, esp. given their current squad is full of promising youngsters rather than big-name footballers Mourinho usually prefers.

He may win some trophies, but will ultimately lose the dressing room because of his antics. I remember one of the United legends (Bobby Charlton?) commenting "A United manager would never do that" when Mourinho poked Tito Vilanova in the eye during an El Clasico.

This seems more like a desperate move because United left it too late procrastinating on LVG's future, and there were no big-name coaches available when they finally got to market. Woodward didn't want to look stupid after heavily backing LVG's appointment, so there's that angle too. It's no secret United courted Guardiola a long while before he chose to go across town to the blue half, Bayern snapped up Ancelotti and Liverpool snagged Klopp. There were rumors of them courting Laurent Blanc for a while but nothing came of that either.

Win Mourinho might, but I really don't think he's Ferguson 2.0. He could prove everyone wrong, but I'll believe that when I see it!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th May 2016 at 16:13.
Old 24th May 2016, 16:42   #1592
BHPian

United is a big name club but at the moment it is difficult to bring major signings to the club. Mourinho is a chance to change that. Ever since last December, I have been apprehensive of Mourinho taking in charge of Man U. He might bring more damage than good but with so many big coaches in the premier league next year, he is exactly what Man U wants.
Old 24th May 2016, 18:54   #1593
Senior - BHPian

Nearly all the star coaches are in the premier league now! Conte, Jose, Pep, Klopp are the Ronaldos and Messis of the coaching world. Its just amazing! Next season is going to rock.
Old 28th May 2016, 18:40   #1594
Senior - BHPian

ManU vs ManC will now get TRPs like no other, and a lot of them will not be for fotballing reasons.

I have a feeling that ManU stumbled thinking all that glitters is gold. They had just won the FA cup, the confidence would have been high and I felt they were on a good platform for the next season.

The Glazers would be happy, for now.
Old 29th May 2016, 10:03   #1595
Senior - BHPian

Simeone is considering his future at Atletico Madrid. Great chance for Arsenal to approach him and replace Wenger. What a premier league it would be to have Simeone also operating at a club like Arsenal!
Old 5th June 2016, 23:48   #1596
Senior - BHPian

The most outrageously talented football player on earth is joining Manchester United, that too on a free transfer! Just cant believe United have pulled this off!!!

Can we have some of these at Old Trafford now
Old 10th June 2016, 17:53   #1597
Senior - BHPian

Copa America and Euro at the same time! Aargh.

But Uruguay out of Copa America today.

What teams you guys supporting for the Euros?

And btw, something that has intrigued me always - when it comes to a player - do you think it is important for him to play for his club well or his country well? I have seen so many tweets saying that such and such a player needs to be careful so that he can play well in the football leagues, not peak too early etc!
Old 10th June 2016, 18:14   #1598
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Simeone........Great chance for Arsenal to approach him and replace Wenger......
Arguably the only top manager not currently tied down to a contract that will take a bank-heist (or an Arab/Russian owner) to break.

Knowing Arsenal, fat chance though!

Quote:
The most outrageously talented football player on earth....
The only thing more outrageous than his talent is his ego, or is that the other way round? I couldn't help watching one of his 5-feet high back-heeled volleys scored in the French league a couple years ago, over & over again. Outrageous doesn't do justice to what the man can do!

Quote:
Ze Germans are my adopted International side.

Quote:
.....do you think it is important for him to play for his club well or his country well?
TBH, most clubs would love their star players to skip International duty (ergo the constant bickering anytime a player gets injured playing for the national side) and most big-name players from smaller nations with no real shot at glory seem disinterested too.

I don't have an opinion on what's more important, but I think players who can't be bothered to give 100% to their national side shouldn't get a spot no matter how big a name they are.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th June 2016 at 18:20.
Old 10th June 2016, 18:20   #1599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

Ze Germans are my adopted International side.
Hehe, same here. If it was the World Cup, Argentina forever though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
TBH, most clubs would love their star players to skip International duty (ergo the constant bickering anytime a player gets injured playing for the national side) and most big-name players from smaller nations with no real shot at glory seem disinterested too.

I don't have an opinion on what's more important, but I think players who can't be bothered to give 100% to their national side shouldn't get a spot no matter how big a name they are.
Totally agree on that point! I would love to see some disciplinary action too with that. Though it will be hard to prove etc.
Old 10th June 2016, 18:47   #1600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Copa America and Euro at the same time! Aargh.

But Uruguay out of Copa America today.

And btw, something that has intrigued me always - when it comes to a player - do you think it is important for him to play for his club well or his country well? I have seen so many tweets saying that such and such a player needs to be careful so that he can play well in the football leagues, not peak too early etc!
I support the Dutch, oh but they are not in the finals😥

I think Belgium have a chance, they have an amazing side with lot of exceptional players. If only they could gel and play to their potential.

As for the argument in the last para, may I recommend you the fabulous book Soccernomics. It explorers this and host of other very interesting topics. Lots of Wenger in the book☺they also tell why arsenal are unlikely to win the league
Old 28th June 2016, 15:14   #1601
BHPian

I have to admit I have a soft corner for Argentina and as always rooted for them to win against Chile in the Copa America Final, especially for Messi to have some kind of relief from proving his patriotism to some of the doubting Argentines, in spite of him leading the team to 3 international finals. While I was disappointed by the result, what completely shocked me was the news flash that saw on ET now that Messi announced retirement from international football. To be frank I didn't believe it even though it was being flashed on a reliable source such as ET now.

I hope he is persuaded out of this decision and give one last try in Russia in 2018. After all he is just 29. It would be criminal if we are unable to see a once in a generation player of his quality not turning up in national colours.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...a-final-defeat
Old 29th June 2016, 11:37   #1602
Senior - BHPian

A good set of matches all around

Sad - that Argentina lost. And that too by Messi missing a penalty! Have been an Argentina fan for as long as I remember and it is sad to see Messi announce his retirement after the loss too. Hopefully he will rethink his decision and be available for the next World Cup.

Happy - that England lost and are out of the Euros. I just cannot understand the hype that English commentators keep giving their team - a pathetic team at that. And why was Hodgson kept on after the pathetic display in the World Cup? Was so overjoyed to see Iceland thulp England and send them packing. What joy. More than made up for the Argentina loss. Glad that Spain are also out. Such a boring team. Not an Italy fan...but still.

Looking forward to the remaining Euro matches - sadly all matches henceforth are at 00:30 IST. Redeye days ahead!
Old 30th June 2016, 21:15   #1603
Senior - BHPian

The worst kept secret in football is out. Zlatan has just confirmed he is joining Manchester United!

What a signing. I am still having goosebumps. This could be a Cantona moment.
Old 30th June 2016, 21:39   #1604
BHPian

Quote:
The worst kept secret in football is out. Zlatan has just confirmed he is joining Manchester United!

What a signing. I am still having goosebumps. This could be a Cantona moment.
We had similar goosebumps after Schweinsteiger signing. Plus, he is 34, while Canton was 26! I dont have too much expectations, we need someone top in the 25-30 age band.

Last edited by gsurya : 30th June 2016 at 21:50.
Old 1st July 2016, 07:05   #1605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
We had similar goosebumps after Schweinsteiger signing. Plus, he is 34, while Canton was 26! I dont have too much expectations, we need someone top in the 25-30 age band.
Age is just a number when it comes to zlatan. He scored 50 goals last season for God sake. I think he has a good 3-4 seasons left in him.
In any case, he will induce that fear factor the likes of Ronaldo did, at least among bottom half clubs. That was our Achilles heel last season. The unpredictability zlatan brings is just what the doctor ordered for united to go to next level.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks