Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2017, 14:29   #1651
BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Yes I should have added that. AC Milan are actually doing pretty well after their takeover.

Actually its my mistake. Because I had compiled this in my phone, I had by mistake typed Arsenal in the losers section and copied it here without correcting.

Yes Arsenal have done fairly well. I believe they should still shop around for a good defense.

@madhavgpai : Bayern have got James (a talent he might be but yet to prove . After all he has had not so good time at Real Madrid). Last heard Vidal is looking to move back to Serie A , Renato Sanches might move as well. They might not need to buy if you take their domestic competition but they have been wanting in CL. So I put them in losers section.

But its in my perspective which may differ and please do share them here.
I would infact say that even Bayern have had a pretty good transfer window. They have brought in Tolisso who looks quite a player and a possible replacement for Alonso.

And Arsenal have plethora of options at centre back. With Koscielny, Mertesacker, Holding, Mustafi, Gabriel, Monreal/Kolasinac ( with the other being a left wing back) and even Chambers.

Kolasinac looks a beast in pre season.

If they sign one CM, either Seri or Lemar, they are done. The Xhaka-Ramsey partnership works amazingly well in this formation with Ramsey making those late runs with lesser defensive responsibilities.

Let's see. Still nearly a month to go.
Old 4th August 2017, 14:29   #1652
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Arsenal have done fairly well. I believe they should still shop around for a good defense.
Also been impressed with Sead Kolasinac in pre-season. If we can sign Thomas Lemar and probably another defender, it will be a good transfer window. I feel Arsenal needs to sell some of its players too.

West Ham did great business IMHO. Hart, Zabaleta, Arnautovich and Javier Hernandez. Further impressive as all of them have Premier League experience.

Lastly, I wouldn't slot Barcelona in the Loser category. They just got 222 m. They just need to spend it wisely and hope its not too late in the transfer window to get some good players in.

Great to see the Football thread active. Hope it remains so.
Old 4th August 2017, 14:43   #1653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
I would infact say that even Bayern have had a pretty good transfer window. They have brought in Tolisso who looks quite a player and a possible replacement for Alonso.
I really doubt. They have done nothing much in the transfer window. They dont have a decent replacement for their leader, lahm nor alonso. I admit I have not seen or heard Tolisso so I may be wrong. I just hope that they dont lose Vidal as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
And Arsenal have plethora of options at centre back. With Koscielny, Mertesacker, Holding, Mustafi, Gabriel, Monreal/Kolasinac ( with the other being a left wing back) and even Chambers.

Kolasinac looks a beast in pre season.

If they sign one CM, either Seri or Lemar, they are done. The Xhaka-Ramsey partnership works amazingly well in this formation with Ramsey making those late runs with lesser defensive responsibilities.

Let's see. Still nearly a month to go.
Arsenal had the same defense last season and in some of the games they were very much outplayed. They are more prone to mistakes/ injuries. Bellerin, Mustafi and Koscielny are ok of the lot. Mertesacker I dont see playing much.

Lets wait until the transfer window closes.

@sanmish : The winners and losers are from perceived view until today. As you said if they make use of the money wisely than its good. I just hope they don't as I like RM

According to rumors, they are going to be in the fight to sign Mbappe. Liverpool, RM, Barca are all in the race for him. The amount for his signature was rumored to be around 160m. That's crazy amount for an 18yr old who has had just one good season.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 4th August 2017 at 14:49.
Old 4th August 2017, 14:49   #1654
BHPian

Quote:
I really doubt. They have done nothing much in the transfer window. They dont have a decent replacement for their leader, lahm nor alonso. I admit I have not seen or heard Tolisso so I may be wrong. I just hope that they dont lose Vidal as well.

Arsenal had the same defense last season and in some of the games they were very much outplayed. They are more prone to mistakes/ injuries. Bellerin, Mustafi and Koscielny are ok of the lot. Mertesacker I dont see playing much.

Lets wait until the transfer window closes.
Bayern have paid 41.5 m euros for Tolisso, and believe you me, he is worth it absolutely!

As far as Arsenal goes, after switching to 3 at the back, they hardly lost. That formation gives a balance where in they have numbers back against the counter attack and while going forward, Sanchez and Ozil can freely pick up dangerous positions. You forgot Monreal who played as a left sided centre back at the end for them.

So again the list is extensive even if Mertesacker does not play. But I would love to see Holding play more, that boy is head and shoulders above John Stones.
Old 4th August 2017, 15:00   #1655
BHPian

Manchester City can't be termed as losers. They have signed a few good ones (Bernardo Silva, Benjamin Mendy, Walker, Danilo). Although the fee paid for some transfers were ridiculous. But, all the other clubs have also been spending ridiculously.
For me, the loser is Tottenham Hotspurs. Absolutely no incoming transfers till date. Shocking, as they were finished second last season.

For all transfers till August 1, please see the link below.https://www.premierleague.com/news/397434

Last edited by knightrider_7 : 4th August 2017 at 15:19.
Old 4th August 2017, 15:05   #1656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
Manchester City can't be termed as losers. They have signed a few good ones (Bernardo Silva, Benjamin Mendy, Walker, Danilo). Although the fee paid for some transfers were ridiculous. But, all the other clubs have also been spending ridiculously.
For me, the loser is Tottenham Hotspurs. Absolutely no incoming transfers till date. Shocking, as they were finished second last season.

For all transfers till date, please see the link below.https://www.premierleague.com/news/397434
I have named Manchester City in winners list. They have done good business except Danilo who I believe is not worth more than 10m. He was rubbish most of the times for RM. But otherwise they have done good and along with Liverpool are looking too good and dangerous atleast from what I have seen/heard in pre season.

Yes you are absolutely right about Tottenham. No transfers till date and with that team I am not sure how can they manage both EPL and CL.
Old 7th August 2017, 15:15   #1657
BHPian

So, Arsenal win the Community Shield. Was very impressed with Xhaka and Kolasinac. Absolutely no idea why Courtois took the penalty instead of one of the outfield players.
Old 7th August 2017, 19:38   #1658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmish View Post
So, Arsenal win the Community Shield. Was very impressed with Xhaka and Kolasinac. Absolutely no idea why Courtois took the penalty instead of one of the outfield players.
Good to see another Arsenal fan. Yeah good victory. I am impressed by Kolasinac. He seems a feisty player - someone who was needed badly in this team.
Old 8th August 2017, 14:22   #1659
BHPian

Nice to see a football thread on T-bhp. I am a big Manchester united fan. Planning to watch Man utd vs Crystal palace at Old Trafford next month as I will be in England at the time.

Man utd seems to be have had a good transfer window. Matic, Lakaku and Lindelof are all pretty good and should hit the ground running.
Old 8th August 2017, 15:32   #1660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanaguy19 View Post
Nice to see a football thread on T-bhp. I am a big Manchester united fan. Planning to watch Man utd vs Crystal palace at Old Trafford next month as I will be in England at the time.

Man utd seems to be have had a good transfer window. Matic, Lakaku and Lindelof are all pretty good and should hit the ground running.
WOAH!

That's a Dream for me. Watching Manchester (Because for me Manchester means only one ) play at Old Trafford is at the top of my bucket list. Almost 15 Years of following of Manchester United, I still haven't gotten a chance to fulfill this dream.
Old 8th August 2017, 15:40   #1661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanaguy19 View Post
Planning to watch Man utd vs Crystal palace at Old Trafford next month as I will be in England at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
WOAH!

Almost 15 Years of following of Manchester United, I still haven't gotten a chance to fulfill this dream.
Add me to that unfortunate list Tejas

Have been a fan of The Red Devils since early 2000, and been lucky enough to travel quite a bit. But Old Trafford and Ngorongo Crater are still a dream,...which I am hoping will come true one day.

P.S - Was this why you choose your handle as nirvanaguy19??

Last edited by Vik0728 : 8th August 2017 at 15:41.
Old 8th August 2017, 15:58   #1662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

P.S - Was this why you choose your handle as nirvanaguy19??
In this case its true , but I started using the handle many years ago due to the band Nirvana which I like a lot.

I have been looking forward to the Old Trafford experience since many years as well. I became a big time fan after watching the 1999 Champions league final against Bayern Munich
Old 8th August 2017, 17:18   #1663
BHPian

Well , I do wish to watch Arsenal someday at the Emirates, but at the moment, I am planning towards heading to Russia next summer for the biggest event of them all.

Let's see how it pans out. A world cup final, cannot get bigger than that!
Old 9th August 2017, 10:12   #1664
Senior - BHPian

Was up last night to watch the UEFA Super cup match. This was going to be tough to see as they both are my favourite teams. Going by the pre season I was expecting Man U to put up a proper fight but was disappointed. As Mourinho had said, RM are at a different level alright. They dominated the midfield and were very good with the ball at their feet. Casemiro and Isco were simply brilliant.

Coming to ManU, Lukaka was wasteful on couple of occasions. Pogba was not much influential. I just hope that the players start to take even the half chances especially against bigger opponents.
Old 10th August 2017, 16:01   #1665
BHPian

Woah!! Lot of fellow gooners here. Not unexpected though!! Can't wait for the league to begin. I have high hopes for this season from Arsenal which quite uncharacteristic for me. COYG!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks