Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2018, 13:03   #1801
BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Yesterday's north London derby was riveting. After an explosive start to the game where Arsenal harried Tottenham and took the lead, it was transitioning into 'same old Arsenal' type of game where Arsenal concede and give the opposition the upper hand going into second half. This is one huge concern that Emery still has. Arsenal's first half record so far this season has been very poor.

But the comeback after the break set my pulses racing. As a fan, there is no better feeling than your team sucker-punching your fiercest rivals. I was one proud gooner at the end. After RVP, Auba genuinely looks the 30-goal a season forward we were waiting so long for. We can now look forward to the Old Trafford game with so much more confidence. Signs are extremely positive.
Old 3rd December 2018, 16:25   #1802
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
....This is one huge concern that Emery still has. Arsenal's first half record so far this season has been very poor....
Interesting stats around that on yesterday's BBC coverage. Apparently, if games ended after the first half this season, Arsenal would currently be 19th in the table! They've also scored something like 24(?) of their goals in the second half so far. Perpetually chasing games won't do the heart any good.

Terrific game though.

The Merseyside derby later on looked like it would end in a well-contested draw but Origi had other ideas.
Old 3rd December 2018, 19:12   #1803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Interesting stats around that on yesterday's BBC coverage....

The Merseyside derby later on looked like it would end in a well-contested draw but Origi had other ideas.
That goal was mostly down to Pickford's mistake though. Origi gambled as good attacking players must and got rewarded for it. Everton had some great chances as well.

However, as an Arsenal fan I'm still walking around with a smile that's driving my wife nuts.
Old 8th December 2018, 22:30   #1804
Team-BHP Support

Lucas Torreira is the midfield steel Arsenal have needed for the last decade. Potential mainstay in the making if he develops well under Emery, and what a goal today!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th December 2018 at 22:33. Reason: Spelling
Old 18th December 2018, 20:11   #1805
BHPian

Jose Mourinho gets the sack.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46603018
Old 19th December 2018, 07:15   #1806
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
Jose Mourinho gets the sack.
It was expected to happen anytime; even his post-match interviews sounded so toxic. I think it’s a right step ahead for ManU.
Old 26th February 2019, 20:38   #1807
BHPian

No discussions on the Kepa-Sarri row at Chelsea??

Looking at the history of managers' tenure at Stamford Bridge, Sarri being sacked looks inevitable. The only question is "when"?!

I think it was absolutely disgraceful on Kepa's part not to get going once his number was in the board. The least he could've done was to run down to the touchline and told Sarri that he was alright (obviously, he was - when has anyone seen a goalkeeper getting cramps!), and pleaded with Sarri to let him stay on. Standing his ground and shouting NO is absolute defiance of the coach's order - which has no place in professional sports!

Also, to me what's signalling the end of Sarri's reign at Chelsea was the lack of any involvement from any other Chelsea player when the whole drama was going on! Where was the captain Azpilicueta!? Why did he not step up and make sure the boss's order was carried out? Even though the row was between Sarri and Kepa, it was more like Coach vs Players! I don't the see Sarri getting back in charge of the team after last night.
Old 26th February 2019, 21:41   #1808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
No discussions on the Kepa-Sarri row at Chelsea??

Looking at the history of managers' tenure at Stamford Bridge, Sarri being sacked looks inevitable. The only question is "when"?!

I think it was absolutely disgraceful on Kepa's part not to get going once his number was in the board. The least he could've done was to run down to the touchline and told Sarri that he was alright (obviously, he was - when has anyone seen a goalkeeper getting cramps!), and pleaded with Sarri to let him stay on. Standing his ground and shouting NO is absolute defiance of the coach's order - which has no place in professional sports!

Also, to me what's signalling the end of Sarri's reign at Chelsea was the lack of any involvement from any other Chelsea player when the whole drama was going on! Where was the captain Azpilicueta!? Why did he not step up and make sure the boss's order was carried out? Even though the row was between Sarri and Kepa, it was more like Coach vs Players! I don't the see Sarri getting back in charge of the team after last night.
I thought it was disgusting. I hope no other club picks Kepa. But that was what I was thinking. They've already brushed it under the carpet. Sarri has lost the dressing room and everything that goes with it. Not sure if he will be sacked after this. He will leave. If he has any self respect left. Felt bad for him there.
Old 26th February 2019, 23:57   #1809
Team-BHP Support

If Hazard needed a push out the Chelsea door, that must be it. Another (potentially) sacked manager, another rebuilding era he doesn't have the time for, at 28 years old.

Chelsea are in chaos irrespective of how this is resolved, and there are at least FIVE stable domestic clubs ahead of them competing for world-class talent so transfer business isn't going to get any easier. United, Liverpool & City, followed by Spurs and Arsenal could all potentially snipe any players Chelsea are in the market for before foreign biggies even enter the fray.
Old 27th February 2019, 01:04   #1810
BHPian

Chelsea played well, Kepa took all the credit away from everyone by becoming the center of attraction in this match. The way Manchester City are playing any team that lasts 90 minutes in front of them is to be applauded and Chelsea did it for 30 extra minutes.
So how many more cups will city win this season?
Old 27th February 2019, 09:58   #1811
BHPian

The problem with Sarri looks very obvious to the eyes. He has two of the best players in the world in their respective positions - Hazard and Kante. Yet he chooses to play them out of position. During the start of the season when Chelsea looked irresistible, Jorginho, Kante and Luiz looked like million dollars. Ever since Jorginho's form tailed off, they haven't been the same. Even then Sarri refuses to replace Jorginho. Such is his stand. And so Chelsea's sufferings continued. The Bournmouth and Man City away games being the nadir.

With the recent transfer ban, sacking Sarri isn't a straightforward decision. The new manager isn't going to find the transfer cripple acceptable. For the first time, Abramovich will not be able to fire a manager without clearly knowing the consequences. Sarri who has got the players he wanted will have to find a way to reverse the downturn.

The Kepa saga has only added to the woes. The player needs to be relegated to the U21's for a period before he is allowed back into the senior team. In that period he shouldn't even be allowed to train with the first team. That is the apt punishment. Releasing the player like some pundits have suggested is too harsh.

Last edited by strawhat : 27th February 2019 at 10:00.
Old 6th March 2019, 08:29   #1812
Team-BHP Support

Once-mighty Ajax are back in the European spotlight, and how!

Superb performance yesterday, Tadic's esp. was in stark contrast to his lackluster Southampton days. Ramos' opportunistic chicken-counting ostensibly cost his side defensive stability and ultimately the tie.
Old 6th March 2019, 10:55   #1813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Once-mighty Ajax are back in the European spotlight, and how!
How the mighty have fallen... beat 3 times in a week, looks like I am not the only one praying for the week to end. RM are a sad shadow of what they were , too much reliance on CR and ill treatment of Bale contributing to this state. I am not complaining as I am a die hard Barca fan
Old 6th March 2019, 11:11   #1814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
How the mighty have fallen... beat 3 times in a week, looks like I am not the only one praying for the week to end. RM are a sad shadow of what they were , too much reliance on CR and ill treatment of Bale contributing to this state. I am not complaining as I am a die hard Barca fan
Same here. I being an hardcore barca fan, i am enjoying every defeat of RM.
Regarding Ramos incident, that was really a stupid decision by him to get booked intentionally. Seemed arrogant to me!
Btw, I watched the highlights and I feel that the scoreline does not reflect the correct picture. RM did miss couple of chances when the score was still 0-0. So, it was like Ajax scored from the chances they created and RM did not do that.
Having been working for Dutch company for more than 18 years now, I always support their team (be it their national team, Ajax or PSV). So, i will be rooting for Barca and Ajax (in that order) now.
Old 7th March 2019, 08:38   #1815
Team-BHP Support

Late VAR calls in both games yesterday.

United create another bit of history by overturning a 2-0 or larger home first-leg deficit at the 107th instance of it happening in European Cup history.

United and Porto go through, but United are running out of squad members to form a playing 11 at this point. Terrible injury list.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks