Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2020, 19:42   #1921
BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Somehow I wonder why I have this mad affinity for this club... Arsenal! Have been following them for nearly two decades and those were the 'Glory Days'.

I don't see any particular movement upwards; from top 3, we are now in top 10 which is really heart breaking. Arteta is a manager who is still learning his trade and I wonder the current form, team, injury laden will reach anywhere close to qualify for Europa 2020-21.

The brigade who was baying for Arsene Wenger's blood will never agree to what happened behind closed doors and the man conducted himself with supreme grace; in which Arsenal qualified to CL year in year out for nearly 20 years. The rebuild was never going to be easy, I believe AW could ease out of his role with a proper handing over the reigns... But whats gone is over... his autobiography will open up the two decades of turmoil/secrets kept in the closet.

Over the years if somehow AFC does buy a good player they lose out their best one to another club or through injury RvP / Eduardo; Auba is the new out-going example.

Congratulations to LFC; the only team who played like a well-oiled engine day in day out; how they Watford eluded from them being Invicibles 2.0 is beyond reasoning!

These days, I am distraught beyond words everytime they play, draw and lose to clubs which are considered minnows bottom of the league table. Gone those days when the Gooners were a name of reckoning. Somehow the love affair with this club will last a lifetime and I shall live in hope for return of those 'Glory Days'.

Last edited by saildrive : 26th June 2020 at 19:45. Reason: Year was incorrect and sentence wasnt completed in context
saildrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 19:54   #1922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Somehow I wonder why I have this mad affinity for this club... Arsenal! Have been following them for nearly two decades and those were the 'Glory Days'.

I don't see any particular movement upwards; from top 3, we are now in top 10 which is really heart breaking. Arteta is a manager who is still learning his trade and I wonder the current form, team, injury laden will reach anywhere close to qualify for Europa 2020-21.

The brigade who was baying for Arsene Wenger's blood will never agree to what happened behind closed doors and the man conducted himself with supreme grace; in which Arsenal qualified to CL year in year out for nearly 20 years. The rebuild was never going to be easy, I believe AW could ease out of his role with a proper handing over the reigns... But whats gone is over... his autobiography will open up the two decades of turmoil/secrets kept in the closet.

Over the years if somehow AFC does buy a good player they lose out their best one to another club or through injury RvP / Eduardo; Auba is the new out-going example.

Congratulations to LFC; the only team who played like a well-oiled engine day in day out; how they Watford eluded from them being Invicibles 2.0 is beyond reasoning!

These days, I am distraught beyond words everytime they play, draw and lose to clubs which are considered minnows bottom of the league table. Gone those days when the Gooners were a name of reckoning. Somehow the love affair with this club will last a lifetime and I shall live in hope for return of those 'Glory Days'.
Yeah always a gooner. For me, it was only because of Wenger. Even the greatest players come after him in my list. I like Arteta, think he will become one of the greats - but that is a long way away. There are some swamp things in Arsenal, just heating up their seats and earning money - they need to go!

But this season is done and am very happy for Klopp and Liverpool. Deserved winners!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 21:21   #1923
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The brigade who was baying for Arsene Wenger's blood will never agree to what happened behind closed doors and the man conducted himself with supreme grace...

....his autobiography will open up the two decades of turmoil/secrets kept in the closet....
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yeah always a gooner. For me, it was only because of Wenger....
Keeping a top-4 spot for two straight decades, while paying off a new stadium and not taking on additional debt, was not a joke. He had his quirks but the man was treated very poorly at the end.

I'd think Le Professeur is too classy to air dirty laundry, but I wouldn't grudge him a few jibes if he felt like it. Justifiably so.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 22:07   #1924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Keeping a top-4 spot for two straight decades, while paying off a new stadium and not taking on additional debt, was not a joke. He had his quirks but the man was treated very poorly at the end.

I'd think Le Professeur is too classy to air dirty laundry, but I wouldn't grudge him a few jibes if he felt like it. Justifiably so.
Hahaha, I would like to be proved otherwise, but I think Wenger's book won't have any "juicy" stuff. It will be like his football - classy and gets the job done. Unless he has a very bad agent.
Old 1st July 2020, 20:53   #1925
Senior - BHPian

Thought this might be a good place to post up this article. Thoughts?

I personally feel that racism has always been in football - too many cases to quote here - including Zidane/Materazzi. But FIFA has always managed to sweep it under the carpet. Maybe time to meet it head on!

Bias - so much easier to escape off with - this article says it well.

Football commentary has evidence of racial bias, groundbreaking study finds - https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a9592276.html
naveenroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 15:10   #1926
BHPian

Just because it's happened after 30 years, I think it's important to record here that LIVERPOOL HAVE WON THE PREMIER LEAGUE ! The best team in the league this season, arguably- the most consistent team in the league, without doubt. Well deserved
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 21:21   #1927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
Just because it's happened after 30 years, I think it's important to record here that LIVERPOOL HAVE WON THE PREMIER LEAGUE ! The best team in the league this season, arguably- the most consistent team in the league, without doubt. Well deserved
Been a fan of Liverpool since 2002 and stayed up till 4am to watch the entire ceremony. What an incredible journey it has been the last few years!
Avinash_R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 22:57   #1928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
Been a fan of Liverpool since 2002 and stayed up till 4am to watch the entire ceremony. What an incredible journey it has been the last few years!
Same here. Dad still says the story of me jumping up and down after Gerrard scored that 90th minute cracker in the 2005 FA Cup final. Cant believe it was 15 years ago. It was a long wait for the Premier League though, a first time visual for the 90’s kids and later.
Now the Champions League places are up for grabs and it would be a real fight at the last game day. I have a outside thought that Leicester might beat Manchester United and pip them for UCL next season.
Xaos636 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 23:00   #1929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Now the Champions League places are up for grabs and it would be a real fight at the last game day. I have a outside thought that Leicester might beat Manchester United and pip them for UCL next season.
Couldn't care less man - Solskjaer's famous quote
Avinash_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 00:04   #1930
BHPian

Quote:
Same boat! I doubt anyone who watched the beautiful football Arsenal played with Henry, Pires, Vieira & co can change their allegiance anytime soon. Yes, Wenger is hard to replace. That man had charisma and did a fantastic job over two decades, without having Russian or Middle East funding to keep buying top players.

Hoping to see Arteta invest in some solid defensive reinforcements. We've been playing with the likes of Mustafi & David Luiz at the rear! It's not a surprise we're finishing tenth. Denfences win leagues, attacks win matches - turned out so true for Arsenal. Attack looks alright with Auba, Lacazette and Pepe, with youngsters like Saka, Willock, Nketiah & Martinelli showing immense promise. Also lacking is a solid midfielder who can control the play - like De Bruyne & Jorginho does for City and Chelsea respectively. Ozil has fallen from grace, Ceballos doesn't look as promising. Rest are all mediocre at best. Let's wait and watch the transfer window keenly!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 22:48   #1931
BHPian

great day of GW38 in EPL for Manchester fans. Bring not the Champs League #GGMU
TokyoDrifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 23:11   #1932
BHPian

Happy with Chelsea getting the UCL spot. Bit unhappy that ManU took the 3rd place. But with Ziyech, Werner already in and possibly Havertz too already looking forward to the next season. Loads of room to improve.
Old 2nd August 2020, 14:16   #1933
BHPian

What a fairytale end to Arsenal's season ensuring they ended up with a trophy in their worst season in the past 25 years. This also ensured yet another season in the Europa league next year.

The match was marred with a lot of poor officiating (Kovacic's red) but that doesn't take away anything from Gunners performance who albeit started slow, but eventually had the control of the game.

Arteta has established a connect with the players and now it's upto the board to back their prodigal son in the transfer market. Hopefully, good things should follow soon (2 seasons from now). COYG!

P.S. - Yes, we finished below Spurs again yet now they've to go through 3 round of matches in order to reach Group stages of Europa.
Old 15th August 2020, 01:04   #1934
Team-BHP Support

Bayern are ripping Barca apart.

4-1, and it's just 30 mins into the game!
Old 15th August 2020, 01:12   #1935
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Bayern are ripping Barca apart.

4-1, and it's just 30 mins into the game!
I can’t see no more !! It might turn into a total rout tonight

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks