Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2021, 21:01   #2011
BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
France looks good. Germany seems to be on shaky ground. Portugal has a very balanced squad on paper. I predict France and Portugal to meet again in the semifinal.
Even Belgium is decent what with Hazard and Debruyne (Not sure how fit DeBruyne is) and Lukaku up-front. And Italy have gone on an unbeaten run of 27 games it seems, though there might have been some very weak opposition. Spain has exciting young players like pedri, rodri, torres but lack much experience, except for Alba and Thiago. Losing Busquets because of Covid and Ramos not being selected can be a big drawback. No matter how thug like Ramos can be he is certainly a leader on Pitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
How is England team? Is it good?
England is decent side with Kane in good enough form and Walker and Stones having good time at City. But sterling somehow dropped off radar over the last few months.

Of all the sides France does look to be having the edge.
Old 12th June 2021, 01:25   #2012
Distinguished - BHPian

Italy is completely a different side it seems these days. Gone are those defensive tactics that the previous teams were famous for, the glory days of Baresi and Maldini and the overall defence first policy is a thing of the past I guess. Just the first half and it seems this is for the first time that I saw a football touching the hand so many times without being awarded a handball !!

Immobile and the diminutive number 10 of Italy are a delight to watch in tandem. Turkey will have a tough time handling those two in the second half and if what I saw in the first half is an indicator of things to come, Italy will be a handful if they can find someone to score goals for them !!

Edit: And the relentless pressure pays off for Italy and they go one up inside the ten minutes of the second half. On the other hand, another Epic between Nadal and Djokovic in the making ..thank god for the remote !!

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 12th June 2021 at 01:47.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 09:22   #2013
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Italy is completely a different side it seems these days...
An interesting read.

How Roberto Mancini turned Italy from World Cup flops into Euro 2020 contenders - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57383161
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 10:19   #2014
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
An interesting read.

How Roberto Mancini turned Italy from World Cup flops into Euro 2020 contenders
Interesting read indeed and it seemingly matches with my assessment too, going by what I saw yesterday night. The aggressive play not depending on counter attacks is what has changed and for the better. Good times ahead in the coming days. I wonder how a Roberto Baggio would feel in this present set up or even a Totti or Del Piero !!
Old 12th June 2021, 22:19   #2015
Senior - BHPian

Sad moments, pray for Christian Eriksen ;-(
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 22:21   #2016
Team-BHP Support

Just collapsed as the throw-in was taken. CPR being administered pitch-side. Hope he's OK and taken to a medical facility as soon as safely possible.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 23:23   #2017
BHPian

Looks like he is stable now ,thank god for that.
mazda4life is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 23:54   #2018
Team-BHP Support

Anyone else think the Scots could roll England over? That would be a sight!
Old 15th June 2021, 01:12   #2019
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Anyone else think the Scots could roll England over? That would be a sight!
England will be their usual self- cocky yet disappointing

More interesting is that in tonight’s match, their is no Real Madrid player in the starting eleven for Spain !! I had high hopes for the match with Sweden tonight but it’s turning out to be a game of missed chances. And as I type this, Morata just missed a sitter !!

Waiting for the match between Argentina and Chile for some redemption later tonight.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 15th June 2021 at 01:20.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 00:49   #2020
Distinguished - BHPian

Crazy start for the Netherlands- Austria match. Almost like a fast paced thriller playing out in front of the screens. The young Netherlands side is a work in progress and should be a serious contender on the world stage in the foreseeable future. It’s another thing that the team is managed by Frank de boar and has Ruud van Nistelrooy as the assistent manager. Good times for football surely

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 18th June 2021 at 00:50.
Old 18th June 2021, 20:14   #2021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Interesting read indeed and it seemingly matches with my assessment too, going by what I saw yesterday night. The aggressive play not depending on counter attacks is what has changed and for the better. Good times ahead in the coming days. I wonder how a Roberto Baggio would feel in this present set up or even a Totti or Del Piero !!
Your mention of Francesco Totti brought back memories of 2006 WC. My favorite player and a master playmaker, who could attack when needed.

The problem with Italian football(both country & League) is, since their watertight defense strategy worked long ago, they stuck on to it and never adapted to the new style of play. When they had great strikers like Vieri, Totti, Inzaghi, Del Piero & second line strikers like Gilardino, Montella, Luca Toni, they still stuck to defensive set-up and hardly attacked unless they were forced into a corner.

God forbid, if they score the first goal, they will pitch a tent in their half and settle down. They treat attacking again as a war crime. This was true to a certain extent in league games as well.

Now that all great defenders have retired, current defenders haven't pulled anyone heart strings(Thank God! for that). They now realize that rest of the world has moved on and updated their playing style. Now its the Italians who need to play catch up.

I really wish them good luck and hope it works. If this back fires, Italians will go back to Defending for the next 500 years.
akhil_007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 20:33   #2022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
I really wish them good luck and hope it works. If this back fires, Italians will go back to Defending for the next 500 years.
You had me rolling with laughter my friend.. but thank god the Italians have changed for the better. It helped that a sound coach is at the helm as well.

Coming to today’s fixtures, the group of death just became more interesting. France were under real pressure against Hungary and it would have been super to see Hungary win at their home ground, in front of their vociferous fans. Let’s see how the match between Portugal and Germany plays out tonight. Keeping popcorn ready
Old 19th June 2021, 21:46   #2023
Senior - BHPian

What a start! Germany is in attacking mode right from the start, but first goal is scored by Portugal.

Edit: 40' Portugal scored total 3 goals till now!

Last edited by Latheesh : 19th June 2021 at 22:10.
Old 19th June 2021, 22:18   #2024
Team-BHP Support

Portugal may be good at counter-attacks (a lovely move for the opener!), but their midfield is barely getting a kick.

Germany have deserved being ahead so far, even if it's technically through own goals. Should be a cracking 2nd half.
Old 19th June 2021, 22:54   #2025
Distinguished - BHPian

Germany are just showing what they are made of.. they started superbly and are ruthless in their finishing now. Every time I see Joaquim Leau, I see a supremely confidant man and his team also plays with the same mindset. Portugal always this thing with them, they always are a collection of individuals and not a team !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks