Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2021, 11:53   #2056
BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Group of death became group of dead! All are out now.
Oh yeah, i didn't even realize that
I think, GER and POR were anyway not the fav to win the EURO, but FRA loss against SWI was a shock of the tournament, especially considering that they were leading 3-1 with less than 10m of regulation time remaining.
Old 30th June 2021, 12:14   #2057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Oh yeah, i didn't even realize that
I think, GER and POR were anyway not the fav to win the EURO, but FRA loss against SWI was a shock of the tournament, especially considering that they were leading 3-1 with less than 10m of regulation time remaining.
Germany were not convincing in 2018 as well as this year, The whole structure and style of play of the German squad has changed over the years.
There is always this interest with Portugal due to Ronaldo. They had a great squad as well but I would put their exit on not playing the right starting XI.
France were the outright favorites this time but there always this doubt about Griezmann's form. Mbappe was wasteful in all the 4 games. More reason why they selected Benzema this time after a gap of 5 years.
Anyone can win now though England, Spain and Belgium would be the top 3 favorites. England have amazing bench strength and so do Spain. We would most likely see them play out the 2nd semifinal.
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 12:54   #2058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
England have amazing bench strength and so do Spain. We would most likely see them play out the 2nd semifinal.
ENG potential opponent in semis would be either CZE or DEN. So, ENG do have a relatively easy path to final. So, they can face either of SPA, ITA, BEL or SWI in the final.
Old 30th June 2021, 16:55   #2059
BHPian

Quote:
ENG potential opponent in semis would be either CZE or DEN. So, ENG do have a relatively easy path to final. So, they can face either of SPA, ITA, BEL or SWI in the final.
Oh yes my bad. They would meet in the final if at all they do.
Old 2nd July 2021, 23:04   #2060
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Tournament play tends to get the best out of unfancied underdogs. I wouldn't rule out another upset or two.

Edit: 10-man Switzerland have taken Spain to extra time.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd July 2021 at 23:21.
Old 3rd July 2021, 00:16   #2061
Team-BHP Support

Heartbreak for Switzerland, but they've been fantastic and can justifiably be proud.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 00:51   #2062
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Heartbreak for Switzerland, but they've been fantastic and can justifiably be proud.
They played with a solid heart, to take out France and almost taking out Spain says a lot about the team.

Tonight’s second match between Italy and Belgium might turn out to be a classic. Italy’s goal disallowed for offside in the 13th minute is just the start and I really liked how Mancini reacted to the whole thing- Nonchalance totally

P.S- Lukaku seems to be an inspired start tonight for Belgium.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 3rd July 2021 at 00:57.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 01:04   #2063
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post

Tonight’s second match between Italy and Belgium might turn out to be a classic...
Good first half hour. Belgium looked the better side until they just went to sleep on an Italy free-kick and concede. Still early though.

A shame all the big guns are the same side of the draw. I'm rooting for at least one underdog from the other side to have a fairytale tournament.
Old 3rd July 2021, 01:41   #2064
Distinguished - BHPian

As the second half starts, I might as well stick my neck out and predict that I see Italy as the potential winner of the Euro Cup 2020. I don’t know when was the last time I have seen such an attacking Italian team. Mancini has almost taken a leaf out of Johan Crueff’s total football concept and given it a spin. I simply despised their style of play earlier but this Italian team has a Ferrari at the heart it seems !!

As far as Belgium is concerned, they are the under achievers of the highest kind. So many wonderful players over the years like Enzo Shifo and presently the golden generation which is so highly rated, ranked number one in the world and yet, no silverware to show for it.

Quote:
A shame all the big guns are the same side of the draw. I'm rooting for at least one underdog from the other side to have a fairytale tournament

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 3rd July 2021 at 01:51.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 01:56   #2065
Team-BHP Support

Spain and Italy. Both pass a lot, but such completely contrasting mentalities.

Spain keep passing for the sake of it, mostly sideways and backwards. Italy pass forwards pretty much every third touch in possession.

England may be pinching themselves in all the 'easy route to final' frenzy their media is whipping up, but it's one thing getting to a final (not a given), quite something else to win it.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 02:36   #2066
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely match ends with another heartbreak for the golden generation (or should I say hyped generation) of Belgium. Italy ideally should have won by greater number of goals but then scoring 12 goals and continuing the winning streak tells about the confidence of the team.

Belgium, to their credit, did create some great chances but couldn’t convert and it was Italy all over. Belgium got lucky with the penalty as well tonight but then that’s the nature of the game. Looking forward to the semifinals against Spain but I probably know the outcome already

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 3rd July 2021 at 02:39.
Old 7th July 2021, 01:55   #2067
Team-BHP Support

65 mins in, Spain look like they couldn't finish a custard pie if you tied their bib on and handed them a spoon and fork.
Old 7th July 2021, 03:20   #2068
Team-BHP Support

Never great to go out on penalties, buy Spain could've won it in the first 45, forget 90, if they took their chances.

Italy really missed Spinazzola down the left, but still have enough quality to beat whoever comes through the second semi tomorrow.
Old 7th July 2021, 04:19   #2069
Team-BHP Support

As Eddy and I predicted while chatting, Italy scored on the counter, and a beautiful goal. Spain followed that up with an equally classy one from Morata.

Sad to see Spain go down despite having so much possession, but Italy showed they will fight to the end. A bit sad to see some gifted Spanish players take a meek attempt at a penalty kick, but that's the pressure a semi final puts on you.

I suppose everyone expects England to get through the other semi, however i am hoping for a shock win for Denmark.
Old 7th July 2021, 10:46   #2070
Distinguished - BHPian

Spain had the possessional game alright and they could have won in the regulation time despite the howlers by their goalkeeper. It was Italy who were playing the catching up game in the first half but somehow managed to keep the game in balance. Italy’s tactics last night was unlike what they have been playing till now in the tournament.

Nevertheless, Italy deserved to be in the finals and now that they have, it would be a surprise if they not manage to win the Euro Cup. On the other hand, Argentina won the semi finals on penalties and it would be wonderful if Lionel Messi finally gets to wear a winner’s tag after all these years of toil.

Copa final should be a cracker and Brazil- Argentina is always a mouth watering prospect. The coming weekend couldn’t be more better !!

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 7th July 2021 at 10:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks