Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2009, 21:09   #511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
It's not that Indians support EPL more, rather EPL is what they are fed on
by the sports channels, for whatever reasons. One learns to like what is
easily available. I am a La Liga fan like yourself, and really miss the good old
days from 10-12 years back when ESPN-Star used to show a lot more of
La Liga matches, and I used to stay up late to watch the old Real Madrid,
for example. Now I don't care to watch EPL apart from Arsenal and ManU.
..And they keep on feeding us hours of trash like Hull City and Portsmouth
and the like! Yuck!

+1 to that.
I also used to watch Spanish club football and little bit EPL because thats better quality football than EPL.
Now i dont watch any of these because other channels are probably not shwoing that much interest in Spanish footabll.
Old 29th June 2009, 11:01   #512
BHPian

did anyone watch the confederations cup? I ended up watching some of the games but the best games of the tournament were yesterday. The last 10 minutes of regulation time were just stunning for the Spain vs South Africa game. I think the SA equalizer was one of the best free kicks i've ever seen.

I didn't get to watch the Brazil game as it was starting so late. But I heard that it was an incradible comeback win by brazil from 0-2 down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Real Madrid with Del Bosque were a pleasure to watch, weren't they? I too have been watching Euro football for about 15 years now and Del Bosque's team comes closest to being perfect. It's just a pity that a great side like madrid are again depending on the galacticos

My personal favourites are the Cantona led Manu Kids of the mid-90s
If going for the galactico's brings back the champagne football then I wouldn't mind all that much. Those years with Seedorf, Redondo, Karembeu and then later with Zizou and Figo were amazing to watch. Let's see how it works now. This lineup is scary on paper.

ST -- Raul/Huntelaar/RVN - Benzema/Higuain
AM -- Robben-Kaka-Ronaldo
DM -- Diarra (either one)
DEF -- a new LB (no more Heinze please) - Albiol/Garay - Pepe - Sergio Ramos
GK -- Casillas

I'm hoping Pellegrini has the guts to drop Raul and play someone like Higuain. And I just hope Madrid has the sense to go and buy a new LB as Heinze is quite simply awful.

Quote:
It's not that Indians support EPL more, rather EPL is what they are fed on
by the sports channels, for whatever reasons. One learns to like what is
easily available. I am a La Liga fan like yourself, and really miss the good old
days from 10-12 years back when ESPN-Star used to show a lot more of
La Liga matches, and I used to stay up late to watch the old Real Madrid,
for example. Now I don't care to watch EPL apart from Arsenal and ManU.
..And they keep on feeding us hours of trash like Hull City and Portsmouth
and the like! Yuck!
EPL is pretty much force fed to the public. I think one of the problems with the La Liga is that there is a lot of confusion regarding TV rights so there are times when the games aren't even telecast outside of spain (I think it happened for about a month last year or the year before).

And as for showing Hull City games, I agree it is truly yuck when you've grown up watching the beautiful game as played by Del bosque's Madrid and Wenger's Arsenal. But there are times when these games prove interesting too. I particularly used to like watching Portsmouth play when they came back to the top flight a few seasons ago when they had people like Patrik Berger playing for them.

One decent thing about Indian channels these days is that with the launch of new channels there are more options as channels now show Bundesliga (its on Ten Sports), the Scottish League (more yuck than watching Hull City) and Serie A (don't remember the channel but its there).
Old 6th July 2009, 14:55   #513
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Lot of transfer activities happening. The two biggest surprises for me were Benzema joining Madrid giving United a Slip and Owen joining United.
I for one cannot for the 2 El classicos! What a line up!

Your thoughts guys!

Last edited by JVH : 6th July 2009 at 14:58.
Old 6th July 2009, 16:23   #514
BHPian

I'm actually really curious about what Madrid's lineup will be now. Especially up front with Benzema, Huntelaar, RVN, Higuain as striking options. I'm hoping Pellegrini has the nerve to drop Raul as there are a whole bunch of better names as striking options.

And lest we forget, this excludes an attacking midfield that spells goals aplenty. With Kaka, Ronaldo and Robben/Sneijder (or possibly Ribery). You can rest assured that there will be tons of goals from midfield. Also, with one of the Diarras and possibly Xabi alonso behind these 3. It seems like a legendary attack. I would love to see what a finisher like RVN would do now that he will be getting an endless stream of chances from the midfield.

As for Owen joining United. Nothing to lose really, free transfer for a proven veteran albeit with a history of injury problems and barely 30 years of age. He'll be the poacher that they've lacked since RVN left and will add a third dimension to their strike options behind Rooney and Berbatov. Tevez won't really be missed in my opinion as he and Rooney are the same kind of player essentially.

As for the El Classicos, they should be stunning especially if Barcelona manage to sign Villa/Zlatan and Madrid signs a few more galacticos(lets admit that now it wouldn't surprise anyone). I'm also looking forward to the Manchester derby which should be an interesting game as well.

On the other hand, what disappoints me is how quiet this transfer season has been for Arsenal so far. Just the one signing of Vermaelen and the possiblity of getting a DM either in the form of Felipe Melo or someone else. A recent rumor is interesting though, Adebayor to milan for 20 mill pounds and Flamini. I'd personally take that deal without thinking twice except to maybe haggle for a bit more money and downplay Flamini's real value.
Old 6th July 2009, 16:48   #515
JVH
Senior - BHPian

The Madrid line up on paper looks great. It needs to be seen how all these galacticos gel together. Remember when Chelsea were on song and added Shevchenko and Ballack, everyone thought the other teams will be whitewashed. United have been winning since then.

I'll still bet on Barca because 1) above reason 2) I have doubts Pellegrini managing an effective combo of midfield and attack. Let us see.

I agree with you on Owen's transfer. Nothing to lose for United. He's got the experience at all levels and he's got to prove to Capello too!

Actually, all Arsenal transfers are quiet . They really do need Flamini out there. A striker will also do good. I don't like Adebayor. He misses too many chances.

Yup, have to agree that even Manchester derby is looking relishing but only if City manage to sign all the folks they are talking about loudly.
Old 17th July 2009, 11:53   #516
BHPian

News just in

Manchester United's four-match Far East tour is in jeopardy after bomb blasts hit the Indonesian hotel they were due to stay in on Monday.
The squad arrived in Kuala Lumpur ahead of their match against a Malaysia XI but their clash with an Indonesia All Star side has been cancelled.
At least nine people were killed and 48 injured in the attacks in Jakarta.
The Premier League champions are also lined up for two friendlies in South Korea and China.
A United statement said: "Following the explosions in Jakarta - one of which was at the hotel the team were due to stay in - and based on advice received, the directors have informed the Indonesian FA that the club cannot fulfil the fixture in Jakarta on the 2009 Asia tour."
Monday's match in Jakarta had been a 100,000 sell-out with the club now having to decide how to reorganise the tour.
"We are working on a revised itinerary outside Indonesia with the promoters and we will make a further announcement when these decisions have been made," the statement added.
"We are deeply disappointed at not being able to visit Indonesia and thank the Indonesian FA and our fans for their support. Our thoughts go to all those affected by the blasts."
New signing Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs were among a 22-man squad that flew out from Manchester to Kuala Lumpur on Thursday

Last edited by sanju.sreekumar : 17th July 2009 at 11:54.
Old 2nd August 2009, 19:26   #517
BHPian

haha..
just found this thread

About Real Madrid's signings:

They definately have the individual quality to compete, but alot of the players they have signed have had teams bulit around them, and might find it tough to fit into a team that has been built around some one else.

I'd say like when Thierry Henry went to Barca, it took quite a while from being the sole focal point [from his arsenal days], to co-existing with/providing for Eto'o.

I personally think a similar fate awaits Benzema & Cristiano Ronaldo.

PS: I support Bayern Munchen.

Last edited by Sprucegoose : 2nd August 2009 at 19:27. Reason: adding details
Old 17th August 2009, 12:12   #518
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Alright Guys!

New seasons have kicked in. Some will in the next few weeks. Time for predictions.

I would love to see Arsenal win some trophies this season. I am not convinced it is Real Madrid's year. Bayern Munich will be back. Inter will again rule the roost in the boring serie.

What say guys?
Old 17th August 2009, 12:18   #519
Team-BHP Support

Man Utd let go of Tevez?! I cant imagine why?!
Who are the new signings who Fergy expects will fill in the voids created?
Old 17th August 2009, 12:24   #520
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Actually, I think Tevez acted a little bit of a sissy. And who does he join? A club who already have Adebayor, Santa Cruz and Craig Bellamy. So, it is similar to ManU picking right? The reason he left the club was that he was not getting enough chances. Can he be a regular first choice at Man city? I don't know.

I think Fergie is not targetting a similar replacement in Ronaldo's league. Michael Owen has replaced Tevez. Valencia has joined in (wouldn't call that as a replacement to Ronaldo ).

The window is still open for a couple of weeks. Let us see if they can bring in a new face to boost the supporters confidence. To me, they to bring in quality midfielders. Both creative and defensive. It is their weakness.
Old 17th August 2009, 12:24   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Fergie signed Michael Owen on a free transfer & Antonia valencia [for C. Ronaldo]

Redundant. Sorry JVH beat me to it

Last edited by Sprucegoose : 17th August 2009 at 12:26.
Old 17th August 2009, 22:25   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Actually, I think Tevez acted a little bit of a sissy. And who does he join? A club who already have Adebayor, Santa Cruz and Craig Bellamy. So, it is similar to ManU picking right? The reason he left the club was that he was not getting enough chances. Can he be a regular first choice at Man city? I don't know.
No, City didn't already have those three when they finalized with Tevez!
It's only that Tevez's paperwork took a long time to complete due to
technicalities. Anyway, do you rate those three above Tevez by any
chance? Remember that Tevez is a first team choice for Argentina.
Adebayor hasn't exactly set the field on fire at Arsenal, who didn't think
twice before getting rid of him for a tidy sum offered by City. Nobody else
would pay nearly as much for him. Craig Bellamy has been around for ever,
moving from club to club, not doing much of note anywhere (except
creating trouble). So yes, Tevez is likely to be a first team pick at City.
Old 18th August 2009, 09:04   #523
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, City didn't already have those three when they finalized with Tevez!
It's only that Tevez's paperwork took a long time to complete due to
technicalities. Anyway, do you rate those three above Tevez by any
chance? Remember that Tevez is a first team choice for Argentina.
Adebayor hasn't exactly set the field on fire at Arsenal, who didn't think
twice before getting rid of him for a tidy sum offered by City. Nobody else
would pay nearly as much for him. Craig Bellamy has been around for ever,
moving from club to club, not doing much of note anywhere (except
creating trouble). So yes, Tevez is likely to be a first team pick at City.
I do wish him to be a first choice. I'm only disappointed that he chose City of all places.
I always consider a striker as an out and out striker with goals in his kitty and nothing else. Tevez might be a good team contributor but a striker - I have my doubts.

Well, I'm not saying City acquiring Tevez's services is bad. I am surprised that he did not try in Spain or Italy?

Last edited by JVH : 18th August 2009 at 09:06.
Old 18th August 2009, 11:35   #524
Team-BHP Support

I would say Tevez is more of a midfielder, than a striker. He is good at feeding the frontmen with opportunities, and battling his way in the midfield position.

I suppose in the Man City game, his arrival did have an effect when he replaced Robinho.
Old 18th August 2009, 11:43   #525
BHPian

So the first weekend of the new season is over. The main battle for the title, IMO, will be between Chelsea and Man U. Chelsea looked sharper in the first game, but then ManU are slow starters anyway. Liverpool failed to impress again, they are overrated and shackled by Rafa's curious gameplans. For us Arsenal fans, there was a brilliant display against a surprisingly tame Everton side. But I for one do not think that Arsenal has turned the corner yet. Their best bet for a trophy will still be the cup competitions rather than the league. I do not see anybody in that side who can deliver 20 goals for the season. Maybe Arshavin can, fingers crossed for that. Come to that, I don't see anyone in ManU like that either, except Rooney. With him playing more behind the striker (Berbatov/ Owen), that does not seem very likely either. Liverpool have Torres and Gerrard in a more forward role. They might lack supply though, with Alonso gone. Chelsea are the best placed of the lot, with Drogba again looking his own self and Anelka/ Lampard to support him. Drogba does not seem to like playing with another striker though, and that will be a cause of concern for Ancellotti. Who do you guys think is in the pole position as far as the league is concerned?

Most Viewed