Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2011, 13:22   #571
BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

EPL is interesting because always teams prefer attacking football even they lead comfortably.

But yes, In LaLiga its always Barc & RM for last few years. Valencia used to be a good team when Silva & Villa were there.

@Figo_United,Joslicx - Agreed. ManU is currently running away with title after watching derby & a Fantastic Rooney goal. But miracles do happen!!!
If RVP/Fabregas stays fit & Arshavin maintaining his last week form - entire season, any thing can happen. Hoping for a miracle for Gunners
Old 15th February 2011, 14:40   #572
Senior - BHPian

Well, I'm hoping for one hell of a miracle and see Liverpool qualify for the Champions League next season. At the moment though, I don't see either Chelsea or Tottenham dropping too many points :(

Regarding the title, as much as I hate to say it, ManU are going to lift their 19th title.
Old 15th February 2011, 15:11   #573
BHPian

@Addyhemmige,
Liverpool is right to let Torres leave as he lost his enthusiasm there. Andy Carrol + Luiz Suarez good buys but still they need time to adapt. Carrol expected to be back in squad by March End.
Right now, you can say ManU & Arsenal will finish in top 4.
For other two spots, we have ManC, Chelsea, Tottenham & Liverpool. ManC & Chelsea shld finish in Top4 unless they throw it away (i very much hope they do.. i would like to see Tottenham & Liverpool in T4 ).
Old 15th February 2011, 15:27   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
@Addyhemmige,
Liverpool is right to let Torres leave as he lost his enthusiasm there. Andy Carrol + Luiz Suarez good buys but still they need time to adapt. Carrol expected to be back in squad by March End.
Right now, you can say ManU & Arsenal will finish in top 4.
For other two spots, we have ManC, Chelsea, Tottenham & Liverpool. ManC & Chelsea shld finish in Top4 unless they throw it away (i very much hope they do.. i would like to see Tottenham & Liverpool in T4 ).
Yeah and I don't think he's got his enthusiasm back going by the two performances in the last two games for Chelsea. Hopefully, Carroll and Suarez will prove themselves. Suarez has already showed glimpses of his talent.

The remaining 2 spots: My guess is that ManCity and Tottenham are going to make the cut. But, would love to see Liverpool make it raying:
Old 15th February 2011, 15:48   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
EPL it would be Manchester United! Arsenal wont win anything (as usual)
Don't say that yet . Football is a very unpredictable game and this season results in EPL are all over the place. No doubt United are favourites to win the league but Arsenal - at least IMO - have what it takes to give them a run for their money. And if you have been following football for long then you must remember that there used to be a different 'usual' not too long ago.

People have been predicting - for three years now - that Arsenal won't even make CL places - only to eat their words afterwards.

Re. the CL game tommorrow night between Arsenal and Barca - I am only hoping a step-up in Arsenal performance from last year. If they put up a decent fight then I will be more than happy. The result does matter but the the way the game is played matters more - at least for me.
Old 15th February 2011, 16:19   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Don't say that yet . Football is a very unpredictable game and this season results in EPL are all over the place. No doubt United are favourites to win the league but Arsenal - at least IMO - have what it takes to give them a run for their money. And if you have been following football for long then you must remember that there used to be a different 'usual' not too long ago.

People have been predicting - for three years now - that Arsenal won't even make CL places - only to eat their words afterwards.

Re. the CL game tommorrow night between Arsenal and Barca - I am only hoping a step-up in Arsenal performance from last year. If they put up a decent fight then I will be more than happy. The result does matter but the the way the game is played matters more - at least for me.
Well a team like Arsenal shouldn't just be satisfied with winning CL places. Once a while a title is must but its like ages since they won anything (I think last was FA cup over United five years back). And you're wrong in saying that people predicted them not making CL place. I always thought everybody believes Arsenal are a top 4 team.

But I do hope if not us then Arsenal win the league this year. That would be even great (evil mind working here) since then Febragas would definitely leave them!!!

As far as CL is concerned, would love it if you guys beat Barca.
Old 15th February 2011, 16:24   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post

And its not as if they are performing only against weak teams. They are playing at such a level that other great teams are looking as if they are at a different level.
Yeah, I agree...they are playing some unbelievable football...
They just dont give the ball away for the other team to play

I saw a post in another forum on the arsenal - barca match

Barcelona Player(s) to Watch: Lionel Messi, Villa, Pedro, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Pique, Abidal, Maxwell, Alves

Arsenal Player to Watch: Chesny\m/

Last edited by figo_united : 15th February 2011 at 16:28. Reason: adding quote
Old 17th February 2011, 10:28   #578
BHPian

Arsenal staged an excellent comeback by beating Barca 2-1, thanks to late goals from RVP & Arshavin.
Messi best player for barca (asusual) and was simply unplayable at times but i've never expected a comeback from Arsenal. They could've easily be 3-0 or 4-0 down at halftime. Dreadful first half defending and especially Song had a very poor game. Lucky for him not to see red.

Second half subsitutions turned the game in Arsenal favour (Arshavin for Song & Bendtner for Walcott). Arshavin getting to his best form is a big plus and RVP - you simply cannot rule him out of any game
Great defending by Koscielny and Szczesny did well to keep Barca to one goal.

Interesting to see how they will perform in second leg. Already Wenger hinted that he'll be attacking from word go and Barca could not afford to concede a goal in second leg. Would be nice if Arsenal manage to kick Barca out.

Even Surprising results -
Milan 0-1 Tottenham
Roma 2-3 Shakthar Donestk

Lennon had an excellent game for Spurs and Milan have a lot to do when they play second leg. But i believe, Spurs would qualify.
Roma had a very poor first half which really costed them the tie. Very difficult to beat Shakthar in their home, so Shakthar should qualify from here.
Old 17th February 2011, 11:19   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post

Interesting to see how they will perform in second leg. Already Wenger hinted that he'll be attacking from word go and Barca could not afford to concede a goal in second leg. Would be nice if Arsenal manage to kick Barca out.

Even Surprising results -
Milan 0-1 Tottenham
Roma 2-3 Shakthar Donestk

Lennon had an excellent game for Spurs and Milan have a lot to do when they play second leg. But i believe, Spurs would qualify.
Roma had a very poor first half which really costed them the tie. Very difficult to beat Shakthar in their home, so Shakthar should qualify from here.
Well, Barca still have an away goal. So, a 1-0 score should see them through unless Arsenal score first.

Again, it is difficult for Roma to go through given that they have conceded 3 goals and lost the match. They would have to win at least by 2-0 to go through.
Old 17th February 2011, 11:19   #580
BHPian

Excellent match indeed. late victory for arsenal makes the 2nd leg mouthwatering!
didnt look like ending in that way during half time. arsenal played really well in the second half.
RVP is so dangerous always! when he is fit that is
Old 17th February 2011, 11:21   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Well, Barca still have an away goal. So, a 1-0 score should see them through unless Arsenal score first.

Again, it is difficult for Roma to go through given that they have conceded 3 goals and lost the match. They would have to win at least by 2-0 to go through.
If arsenal score first, then barca need three which makes it very difficult! would be interesting to watch for a neutral though, waves of barca attacks and arsenal counter attacks often!
Old 17th February 2011, 11:51   #582
BHPian

Great game last night. Sweet victory for the Gunners. Here's hoping they can do an encore in the second leg and progress to the QF.
Old 17th February 2011, 12:06   #583
BHPian

wilshire was awesome yesterday! loved watching him.
Now barca should be confused whether to buy fabregas or wilshire
Old 17th February 2011, 15:22   #584
BHPian

yes.. All eyes focused on Fabregas but Wilshere stole the show.
Boy, he's clever and would love to watch him improving further. Remember, he is still 20. Exactly the reason why youngsters prefer joining Arsenal.

I guess Ramsey will also be available for the next round. Another player with immense talent and touted as ideal replacement of Fabregas.
Squad is getting better with still Varmaelen to return frmo injury

Next week its Marseille-ManU, Copenhagen-Chelsea,Lyon-Madrid & BayernM - Inter.

Lets see if Madrid able to break their 'Round of 16' jinx. Lyon are great CL players and its difficult to get past them.
ManU & Chelsea should progress hands down.
Bayern may progress as they've got Robben & Ribery fit for the clash. Game changers both of them!!!
Old 17th February 2011, 20:32   #585
BHPian

Wilshere was amazing & @nfsfreak: he's 19!.

Being an Arsenal it was really great to see Arsenal win the contest but taking nothing away from Barca who never gave the possession. Arsenal were always following shadows & stretching to get the ball.

I do hope that Arsenal move to the QF stage but i also dont want Barca to loose.

But Alas, Barca the door will close for u, coz this is Arsenal year to atleast get a treble (League Cup, CL(if they beat Barca), PL they will shave off Man Utd)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks