Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2019, 14:26   #1816
BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

I personally feel that VAR is killing the joy of viewing football, I like the football with its imperfections , on field calls ( might be I am in the minority) but the VAR robs the flow of the game and the tempo gets all messed up.
Old 7th March 2019, 20:04   #1817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
I personally feel that VAR is killing the joy of viewing football, I like the football with its imperfections , on field calls ( might be I am in the minority) but the VAR robs the flow of the game and the tempo gets all messed up.
Yeah I kinda agree. Though a part of me sees so many bad decisions and wants a better process in place.
Old 18th April 2019, 00:56   #1818
Team-BHP Support

Crazy scenes in the Champions League.

City-Spurs is up to 3-2 in 21 mins. Cracker of a game!
Old 18th April 2019, 02:30   #1819
Team-BHP Support

Ends 4-3 on the night, 4-4 aggregate. Spurs through on away goals. Easily the most exciting game I've seen for a few years. Phew!

Liverpool stroll past Porto 6-1 on aggregate. Tasty semi coming up with Barca.
Old 18th April 2019, 02:46   #1820
BHPian

What a game. Pochettino is due a lot of credit. His team is built on a fraction of City's and they went toe to toe over the two legs. Chuffed for them.
Old 18th April 2019, 10:54   #1821
Team-BHP Support

I'd love to see Ajax win it this year. Young, majorly all-academy team playing great football, and would be ripped apart in the summer transfer window so this is their chance to revive past glories.
Old 18th April 2019, 11:28   #1822
Team-BHP Support

Being a Liverpool supporter I hope for another European glory; somehow have this feeling that its going to be a double or nothing this season!
Old 18th April 2019, 11:47   #1823
BHPian

Heart says Barca (being die-hard Barca fan), but I would not mind either Ajax or Spurs winning this year. I just hate Liverpool!
Btw, this is most open CL since many years. When RM were winning for last 3 years (and 4 out of last 5 years), it was like Aussies winning cricket WC. So, it is good to see teams like Ajax and Spurs in semis.

One generic question, what do you guys think of this 'away' goal rule to decide when the scores are level after two legs? Is there a better way to decide the winner instead of this rule?
Old 18th April 2019, 11:55   #1824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Heart says Barca (being die-hard Barca fan), but I would not mind either Ajax or Spurs winning this year. I just hate Liverpool!
Btw, this is most open CL since many years. When RM were winning for last 3 years (and 4 out of last 5 years), it was like Aussies winning cricket WC. So, it is good to see teams like Ajax and Spurs in semis.

One generic question, what do you guys think of this 'away' goal rule to decide when the scores are level after two legs? Is there a better way to decide the winner instead of this rule?
Would love to see Ajax in the finals. The way they played against RM and Juve shows they are meant to achieve something bigger.

Regarding the away goals, UEFA is currently considering a proposal to get away with this rule. In my opinion, it is not fair to the side losing out on away goals.

Extra time and penalties would be a fair way to determine the real winner.
Old 18th April 2019, 12:02   #1825
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
... 'away' goal rule to decide when the scores are level after two legs? Is there a better way to decide the winner instead of this rule?
Relic of an era when long-distance travel was difficult and playing away from home was a real disadvantage, physical and psychological. The latter still exists, but modern training/conditioning methods and travel options have taken away the former.

Aggregate wins (plus ET and penalties if needed) should be the way of the future, hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Being a Liverpool supporter I hope for another European glory; somehow have this feeling that its going to be a double or nothing this season!
That seems to be the vibe. This weekend's PL games would be huge. Liverpool are playing a desperate Cardiff, and it's 50-50 City blow Spurs away or implode spectacularly in the aftermath of yesterday's game. I have a hunch it might end up a classic 0-0 to balance out the midweek madness

Fine margins.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th April 2019 at 12:07.
Old 18th April 2019, 12:43   #1826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Ends 4-3 on the night, 4-4 aggregate. Spurs through on away goals. Easily the most exciting game I've seen for a few years. Phew!

Liverpool stroll past Porto 6-1 on aggregate. Tasty semi coming up with Barca.
What a game , what drama. I reiterate that VAR is killing the game. Looking forward to the Barca vs Liverpool in the semi finals.
Old 18th April 2019, 13:36   #1827
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
....I reiterate that VAR is killing the game...
I'm more inclined to think it's how FIFA/UEFA are implementing the thing that's making VAR unpopular among certain fans. My reference point of a good implementation in a contact sport is Rugby, done with minimum fuss and everyone gets on with it.

Games or championships shouldn't be decided on dodgy decisions, when a better alternative it available. The romanticism of football for me, in theory, lies in anyone being able to win on their day based on how they play, not how many questionable decisions go their way. Personal opinion only, YMMV.
Old 18th April 2019, 21:25   #1828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
That seems to be the vibe. This weekend's PL games would be huge. Liverpool are playing a desperate Cardiff, and it's 50-50 City blow Spurs away or implode spectacularly in the aftermath of yesterday's game. I have a hunch it might end up a classic 0-0 to balance out the midweek madness
Man City will be extra motivated for the league games now. Their season will ultimately be considered underwhelming if they cannot win PL, in the context of their exit from UCL. Still, they have the advantage over Liverpool having played a game less. Tottenham and Utd are tough fixtures but they have the know how and experience at this stage.

What a see-saw game yesterday! The first 20 mins especially was stunning. De Bruyne was unplayable. Literally felt for City players and fans when that goal was ruled out.
Old 19th April 2019, 09:43   #1829
BHPian

Just watched the highlights of Chelsea's Europa League match against Slavia Praha last night. It was another European belter with identical scoreline. Chelsea were at their free flowing best in the first half whereas Slavia were total value for money in the second.

Successive great nights for neutrals.
Old 19th April 2019, 11:20   #1830
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
Just watched the highlights of Chelsea's Europa League match against Slavia Praha last night. It was another European belter with identical scoreline. Chelsea were at their free flowing best in the first half whereas Slavia were total value for money in the second.

Successive great nights for neutrals.
Sarri is probably frustrated out of his wits right now. How do you handle a team that plays like 'that' in the first half, then like 'that' in the second?

World class to third class, separated by half time.

His post-match comment sums it up:

Quote:
At half-time I told them to start with the same application as they started the first, but we didn't do it. It's not easy to understand.

I could try without going in the dressing room at half-time if I could solve the problem.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th April 2019 at 11:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks