Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2022, 17:12   #2221
BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Argentina getting a reality check? 2 goals back to back by Saudi. That is really sloppy defence from Argentina.
Agree that they were sloppy, but they are also unlucky. Couple of offside goals were tight and couple of penalty calls were ignored.
One general observation from my side, with club football getting more popular in Europe, most of the players from SA and AFR who play in Europe, will not get the same co-ordination when playing for national teams.
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 17:43   #2222
BHPian

What a SHOCKER! I did watch 1990 opening match when ARG lost to Cameroon. But this must be bigger shock!
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 17:52   #2223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Couple of offside goals were tight and couple of penalty calls were ignored
Yeah, were they really offside if your leg is inside the line but just a hand is out (when you're anyway not going to "hand" the ball)? I am beginning to think VAR is overused than necessary.

It should have been 3-0 at half time.

The first goal by ECU against QAT was also not given on day 1.

Last edited by mayukh42 : 22nd November 2022 at 17:55.
Old 22nd November 2022, 17:52   #2224
Distinguished - BHPian

NOW the world cup has begun! Isn't a WC without an upset. Go underdogs! (Even though I'm an ARG and Messi fan.)
Old 22nd November 2022, 18:32   #2225
Senior - BHPian

Shocker for all Argentina fans! Argentina need to rise up & win the next 2 matches.
Old 22nd November 2022, 20:06   #2226
BHPian

Really tepid display by Argentina. They took it easy and were shocked with the back to back goals. KSA goalkeeper was good. He saved a couple and that made a difference.

Messi wasnt taking any risk. Handing off the ball sooner. No game plays. Modern football has become too much of collaborative game . Also too much technology was being used, the offside rule of any part of the body being off the line was just too much.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 23:26   #2227
Distinguished - BHPian

Too much technology is simply killing the game of football. Argentina simply never recovered from the disallowed goals and they might even took the Saudis lightly. KSA Goal keeper was outstanding and was responsible for Saudis keeping the more fancied players at bay. The result has at least brought some interest into the World Cup which was insipid till tonight !!
Old 22nd November 2022, 23:42   #2228
BANNED

Argentina still have a good chance to make it to knockouts given Poland and Maxico just shared points. Group C is wide open.
ottocycle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 06:33   #2229
Team-BHP Support

The game between Argentina and Saudi Arabia turned out to be the game of the tournament so far! I did predict a shock win for the Saudis, but even then I couldn't believe it!

The Saudis played with passion, and a tad rough despite their lanky physiques. To see most of the team doled out yellow cards in just one game shows the intensity. Their comeback and consequent goal to take the lead was just awesome, not to forget defending their lead like their lives dependent on it.

Good to see atleast one Asian side who weren't a walkover in the tournament, so far.

The game between France and Australia started well for the Aussies but soon turned out to be a practice match for the French stars. Mbappe and co showed why they are defending champions.
benbsb29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 10:42   #2230
Distinguished - BHPian

As a Barcelona/Argentina/Messi fan, what I have noticed is that Messi inspires the best from the opposition. Some opposition players play the best football of their entire career. I don't mean it as a disrespect. You feel the sense of occasion and are aware that the whole world is watching you, expecting you be a walkover for the crowd favourite. As the great Eminem says:

Quote:
Look
If you had one shot, or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
One moment
Would you capture it or just let it slip?
Yo
Kudos to Saudi Arabia team and their coach. They played a great attacking game!!

Argentina group is very complicated now. In the case of a tie, it will not be head-to-head result but the goal difference that will decide the ranking. Argentina has to win the next to matches with high goal difference. Not too confident after seeing their performance. I think teams have to mentally be prepared for VAR nonsense, and not lose the rhythm and momentum.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 15:22   #2231
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
Yeah, were they really offside if your leg is inside the line but just a hand is out (when you're anyway not going to "hand" the ball)? I am beginning to think VAR is overused than necessary.

It should have been 3-0 at half time.
the offside rule is that any part of the body which can be used legally is ahead of the defender's usable body then it goes as offside.
One can control the ball using the shoulder, and that shoulder was ahead of defender's leg. That's why it was not given, the other goal was also offside.
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 16:30   #2232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
the offside rule is that any part of the body which can be used legally is ahead of the defender's usable body then it goes as offside.
One can control the ball using the shoulder, and that shoulder was ahead of defender's leg. That's why it was not given, the other goal was also offside.
In this example I was talking about, majorly it is the arm that was beyond the line, which is illegal to use, so based on that logic, it should have been allowed (i.e. not offside). It could make sense if the positions were much nearer to the goalpost (like say after a corner/ free kick).

Photo: https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/...-777427350.jpg

Article: https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...rld-cup-messi/

I agree based on this logic the first goal of ECU vs QAT was correctly disallowed because it was the knee-ankle part beyond the line.

Still, it remains that we are not necessarily using VAR the way we should. The technology should be able to project where the ball would hit, like LBW reviews in cricket. It is also possible to know if the offside was deliberate. In another recent example (don't recall the match) when the ball was kicked, the attacker started from within the line but in the run he overcame the defender, to receive the ball beyond the line. This should not be offside, because the player was not holding fort like say Inzaghi (ITA) or Raul (ESP) who were notorious for that

But all we do is just allow the referee to watch a footage, instead of the detailed technology driven review in cricket.

Last edited by mayukh42 : 23rd November 2022 at 16:31.
Old 23rd November 2022, 17:37   #2233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
In this example I was talking about, majorly it is the arm that was beyond the line, which is illegal to use, so based on that logic, it should have been allowed (i.e. not offside). It could make sense if the positions were much nearer to the goalpost (like say after a corner/ free kick).

Photo: https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/...-777427350.jpg

Article: https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...rld-cup-messi/

I agree based on this logic the first goal of ECU vs QAT was correctly disallowed because it was the knee-ankle part beyond the line.

Still, it remains that we are not necessarily using VAR the way we should. The technology should be able to project where the ball would hit, like LBW reviews in cricket. It is also possible to know if the offside was deliberate. In another recent example (don't recall the match) when the ball was kicked, the attacker started from within the line but in the run he overcame the defender, to receive the ball beyond the line. This should not be offside, because the player was not holding fort like say Inzaghi (ITA) or Raul (ESP) who were notorious for that

But all we do is just allow the referee to watch a footage, instead of the detailed technology driven review in cricket.
Offside considers when the ball is kicked. Should not be offside after that.

First time I was seeing VAR and it reminded me of American Football where the referee runs similarly to announce what down and yards
Old 23rd November 2022, 20:37   #2234
BHPian

What a fantastic match Germany - Japan was. Fast paced, beautifully created chances and thoroughly enjoyed the game. Germans played classical football but Japanese played ferociously and won. Asian teams are rocking!!!
Old 23rd November 2022, 21:49   #2235
Team-BHP Support

Superb comeback by Japan. They looked so much like a fish out of the water in the first half, but come the second half, they played like a team possessed. Fantastic game.

Argentina yesterday, Germany today - the giants are reeling!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks