Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2011, 01:42   #961
BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
OK anybody play the EA Sports FIFA game on their iPads/Lappies/PCs? Have been playing for the last 7 years and been winning with my team
I have been playing on the comp/laptop for a long time!
Started from FIFA 06 and have played every version till FIFA 11.
Now waiting for the next version, which should be out soon!
Specially enjoy playing one on one matches with friends on a network
Old 30th September 2011, 14:49   #962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Boy! this is a first time! A person getting bored by Barcelona football! Let me ask you whose football game you like then? Teams have their strengths and weakness! Barca's weakness is their defense. Their strength - Mid field and they are bloody good at it. Rarely I have seen barca scoring scrappy goals. When they score, they score in style. And its not just about having Messi in the team. Barca is one great example of team-work and hard work.
Well I do find Barca boring. They have a very placid style of playing where for long periods of time they do nothing with the ball but needlessly pass it to one another just to keep it. A lot of those passes are in their own half itself!!! What is the mazaa in that ??? You can go to the kitchen and cook a bowl of maggi and when you come back the ball will still be with barca, they would still be needlessly passing it to one another and you would have missed nothing. Barca play football like a Cricket test match!!!

I support Man Utd. I agree with rest of what you have written. Barca's midfield is very strong (strong in keeping the ball which is the most difficult thing in footy, thats what I had mentioned earlier as well).

Quote:
Manutd have had a great start to their season. But if you ask me I do not like the kind of football they play. Headers and tap-ins are not the kind of goals I like watching. But Manutd excel in this and they win with their strategy. It is boring sometimes but who cares! At the end of the day all that matters is your position in the table. Birmingham won the carling cup last year but look where they are now!
Man Utd are about counter-attacks. We do not play thru the middle, never did that in our history. Man Utd is all about wingers! We've had the best wingers in world football playing for us, the play is structured around winning the ball in the middle (thats the only job of our midfielders) and pass it to wingers and initiate attacks along the flanks. Thats why you see the best wingers in the world playing at Utd. Obviously if wingers carry the ball forward then you would expect crosses in the box all the time. It is United's playing style and philosophy. Most teams on earth cannot really keep up with it, when you have two fast wingers bombing at you all the time supported by attacking full backs and fast, creative players like Rooney to contend with, its difficult to counter. When on song, Utd can be as deadly as any team on earth, including Barca.

Barca on the other hand play thru the middle. They have the midfielders who can keep the ball for long periods and who know how to pick a pass. Thats their style of play. It is super effective right now as the other team doesnt get much of the ball to do anything. Against AC Milan they had 70% possession, again RM they had more than 65%, again us in CL they had more than 65%. So right now no team can really out-possess them in the middle of the park. One of their deficiency could be their abhorrence to physical play. But when it comes to passing game, they are on an entirely different planet. But I think somebody would soon figure out to play them. Their challenge is, do they have plan B,C,D... So far their plan A works fine most of the times so we dont know if they have B,C,D,... etc in their locker.
Old 30th September 2011, 19:02   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Boy! this is a first time! A person getting bored by Barcelona football! Let me ask you whose football game you like then? Teams have their strengths and weakness! Barca's weakness is their defense. Their strength - Mid field and they are bloody good at it. Rarely I have seen barca scoring scrappy goals. When they score, they score in style. And its not just about having Messi in the team. Barca is one great example of team-work and hard work.
Well that is the beauty of the world isn't it. Different likes and opinions make this a better place. Only thing needed is for everyone to respect others choices and likes. And I agree with you they score many wonderful goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Well I do find Barca boring. They have a very placid style of playing where for long periods of time they do nothing with the ball but needlessly pass it to one another just to keep it. A lot of those passes are in their own half itself!!! What is the mazaa in that ??? You can go to the kitchen and cook a bowl of maggi and when you come back the ball will still be with barca, they would still be needlessly passing it to one another and you would have missed nothing. Barca play football like a Cricket test match!!!
I was thinking of replying to your previous post with the same anecdote of cricket test match and I agree with the possession part of yours. However, what I observed is Barca's pressing game is always attack minded and since they have a high defense line most of the passing happens around the mid-point or in the opponents half.

Their game is like a great spinner testing a batsmen's defense and trying to find chinks in his armour before taking out the prey. I quite like the process as much as the outcome. But as I said before, world is a better place when people with different opinions accommodate and respect each other.

Quote:
I support Man Utd. I agree with rest of what you have written. Barca's midfield is very strong (strong in keeping the ball which is the most difficult thing in footy, thats what I had mentioned earlier as well).

Man Utd are about counter-attacks. We do not play thru the middle, never did that in our history. Man Utd is all about wingers! We've had the best wingers in world football playing for us, the play is structured around winning the ball in the middle (thats the only job of our midfielders) and pass it to wingers and initiate attacks along the flanks. Thats why you see the best wingers in the world playing at Utd. Obviously if wingers carry the ball forward then you would expect crosses in the box all the time. It is United's playing style and philosophy. Most teams on earth cannot really keep up with it, when you have two fast wingers bombing at you all the time supported by attacking full backs and fast, creative players like Rooney to contend with, its difficult to counter. When on song, Utd can be as deadly as any team on earth, including Barca.
A good winger stretches the defense and creates space for the center forwards to exploit. Of course, the quality of crosses decides the effectiveness and so does the positioning of the forwards, how they receive the pass and beat the offside trap and most importantly the finishing. I somehow felt this season so far that they are scoring more goals from the middle. And even the crosses are being delivered at the edge of penalty box. Their forwards are doing a great job.

Whatever the style, attacking and open football always interests me.
Old 1st October 2011, 09:10   #964
Senior - BHPian

[quote=vamsi.kona;2527451

A good winger stretches the defense and creates space for the center forwards to exploit. Of course, the quality of crosses decides the effectiveness and so does the positioning of the forwards, how they receive the pass and beat the offside trap and most importantly the finishing. I somehow felt this season so far that they are scoring more goals from the middle. And even the crosses are being delivered at the edge of penalty box. Their forwards are doing a great job.

Whatever the style, attacking and open football always interests me.[/quote]

Man Utd stats for this season:
Wingers:
Young: 3 goals and 7 direct assists in 8 appearances
Nani: 5 goals and 4 direct assists in 7 appearances
Giggs: 2 goals and 4 direct assists in 4 appearances

Midfielders:
Anderson: 1 goal and 1 direct assist in 8 appearances
Carrick: 0 goals and 0 assists in 4 appearances
Fletcher: 0 goals 0 assists
Cleaverley: 0 goals and 2 assists in 4 appearances

Now who do you think has contributed more to the goals!!!
Old 1st October 2011, 16:18   #965
BHPian

Woo, looks like the thread is infiltrated with only Barca & Man Utd supporters . To be on a different note I support Arsenal and have been doing it for over a decade now - even when they were the Invincibles and even now when they faced a battering from the Red Devils.

The most incredible aspect about their football is the fluidity of their game, they never hold back the ball much - I remember the era of Bergkamp, Kanu, Henry, Pires, Ljunberg - these guys were simply class, playing one touch football especially Pires.

Even today we have some of the most prolific players(of the future, Wenger being a pedophile, pun intended) who can turn the game on its head and i certainly believe that Arsenal would make it to the Top 4 this season too.

P.S. - Any other gunner fans here?
Old 1st October 2011, 19:32   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ppl View Post

Here I am mate! You will find fans of all the top 4 teams. I became an Arsenal supporter post 2008. I did not witness the team invincibles but from what I saw on youtube and other videos I can only wish for those times to come. Anyways Liverpool have won the derby against Everton. Carrol and Suarez scoring for Liverpool. Final score : Liverpool 2-0 Everton.

Somehow I am feeling really sorry for Everton Manager David Moyes. The team has some really good potential - Baines, Cahill are really good but somehow they have not got off to a good start.
Old 1st October 2011, 20:30   #967
Team-BHP Support

^^Great job by Liverpool to win the Derby. Bellamy is turning to be super-sub for Liverpool. His lightening pace resulted in the first goal. The Everton sending-off in the first half was super harsh though.
Old 2nd October 2011, 01:09   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
^^Great job by Liverpool to win the Derby. Bellamy is turning to be super-sub for Liverpool. His lightening pace resulted in the first goal. The Everton sending-off in the first half was super harsh though.
I agree, the ref did make some wrong calls and still Dalgish will keep on yepping about that Liverpool doesn't get any support from refs.

Anywhichways, Andy Carroll has opened his account for this season (or has he scored a goal before this season?). According to my opinion he is also quite highly rated dud, maybe another Torres in the making.

Even United match wasn't that fun. Looks like after the initial burst United is losing some steam.

Eagerly awaiting for the North London Derby tomorrow(now today). I would't discount Arsenal's chances but yeah Spurs do have an advantage. All eyes would be Adebayor - will he run 90 yards again to celebrate? Will he score? Lots of questions!

@Saanil : Nice to find you mate! I believe we would be back to the same level in the next 2-3 years, but still in Arsene we trust!
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:47   #969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Yeah, I would say he is the best signing this season for us. I agree with you in the sending off though, not that it would have made much difference to the scoreline.

Quote:
I agree, the ref did make some wrong calls and still Dalgish will keep on yepping about that Liverpool doesn't get any support from refs.

Anywhichways, Andy Carroll has opened his account for this season (or has he scored a goal before this season?). According to my opinion he is also quite highly rated dud, maybe another Torres in the making.
Well, Liverpool have been at the wrong end of the stick for quite some time now and I don't blame Kenny at all. All we want is a fair decision at the end of the day. As I have said above, I too agree that Rodwell did not deserve to get sent off.

Andy Carroll has opened his scoring the Premier League. He has scored one before in the Carling Cup. I too have my doubts about him, but this goal should renew his confidence and we will probably see a more confident Andy in the next game.

Regarding Torres, he's playing pretty well at the moment. I'm sure he'll put in a few in the next few games. He's too good not to score!!
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:34   #970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post

Regarding Torres, he's playing pretty well at the moment. I'm sure he'll put in a few in the next few games. He's too good not to score!!
Well I have never doubted Torres's calibre. What I am saying here is that he is pretty much in a bad phase since the last 1 odd year. Missin an open goal, come on I dont expect it from a player like him - yeah but i do expect it from Bendtner .

Torres is no mug with the ball, he needs to focus that's what was my point. I hope it didn't offend you!

Anyhow, Arsenal lost another game to their neighbors. It was a good game and there were sparks of the ol' Arsenal coming along, but Spurs were too good for them. But I would say that Scezeny(hope i spelt it right) is definitely the keeper we were looking for. I would sound complaining but Van Der Vaart's first goal was definitely a handball, but it is a game you get some decision in your favor and some not. And it all equals out in the longer run.

Hope Sagna gets back to playing soon!
Old 3rd October 2011, 15:12   #971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well I have never doubted Torres's calibre. What I am saying here is that he is pretty much in a bad phase since the last 1 odd year. Missin an open goal, come on I dont expect it from a player like him - yeah but i do expect it from Bendtner .

Torres is no mug with the ball, he needs to focus that's what was my point. I hope it didn't offend you!
No offence taken buddy!! Yeah, he needs to focus, which I'm sure he will soon. He's already a lot better than what he was the whole of last season. Hopefully he won't find his touch for the Liverpool game
Old 3rd October 2011, 16:31   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Man Utd stats for this season:
Wingers:
Young: 3 goals and 7 direct assists in 8 appearances
Nani: 5 goals and 4 direct assists in 7 appearances
Giggs: 2 goals and 4 direct assists in 4 appearances

Midfielders:
Anderson: 1 goal and 1 direct assist in 8 appearances
Carrick: 0 goals and 0 assists in 4 appearances
Fletcher: 0 goals 0 assists
Cleaverley: 0 goals and 2 assists in 4 appearances

Now who do you think has contributed more to the goals!!!
Oh you got me wrong or may be I was not clear in what I wanted to express. When I said middle, I didn't mean midfielders. What I had in mind was that the passes were being delivered to the middle of the penalty box most of the time and goals were being scored from there, rather than to the far posts or just in front of the goal. I felt there were less tap-ins or headers. The matches against Arsenal, Tottenham and Basel are what I have seen.

Quote:
Woo, looks like the thread is infiltrated with only Barca & Man Utd supporters . To be on a different note I support Arsenal and have been doing it for over a decade now - even when they were the Invincibles and even now when they faced a battering from the Red Devils.

The most incredible aspect about their football is the fluidity of their game, they never hold back the ball much - I remember the era of Bergkamp, Kanu, Henry, Pires, Ljunberg - these guys were simply class, playing one touch football especially Pires.

Even today we have some of the most prolific players(of the future, Wenger being a pedophile, pun intended) who can turn the game on its head and i certainly believe that Arsenal would make it to the Top 4 this season too.

I am not a fan of Barca or any other club, though I like their style of play. In fact, I haven't watched a complete match of theirs before 2009. My football was mostly restricted to world cups. I mostly watch games of teams which are attack minded and Arsenal is part of such teams.
vamsi.kona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 17:12   #973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
I am not a fan of Barca or any other club, though I like their style of play. In fact, I haven't watched a complete match of theirs before 2009. My football was mostly restricted to world cups. I mostly watch games of teams which are attack minded and Arsenal is part of such teams.
Thanks for watching Arsenal. I am garnering more supporters for Arsenal on a daily basis.

Arsenal are attack minded but nowadays they are suffering a lot in the defense paradigm. So, we do not see a lot of flowing game, counter-attacks as such which was a treat to the eyes during 2001-2005. Maybe you should check out older videos of Arsenal.

Its usually that most English & Spanish clubs play fluidic(not connected to Verna) football, its usually the Italiano/s who just keep on holding the ball.
Old 12th October 2011, 11:49   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Woo, looks like the thread is infiltrated with only Barca & Man Utd supporters .
Yeah. That's true. I am a Chelsea fan and hardly find any Chelsea fans around.

I also admire Arsenal and their style of play. Free-flowing football. Great to watch. They are suffering due to mass-exodus of key players. But no need to panic, they will rise. Now they have few experienced lads in their line-up. They were quite invincible in the era of Henry and Bergkamp. Wenger is a great tactician. They should not have let go of Fabregas even though there was a great pressure from Barca. Also, the transfer price was too low and Barca was dictating the terms (instead of Arsenal). Look at the way Tottenham's firm rejection to sale Modric to Chelsea. But gunners' management and Wenger are rare gentlemen in the football-world today. Wishing gunners all the best for the season.
Panko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 00:45   #975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panko View Post

They should not have let go of Fabregas even though there was a great pressure from Barca. Also, the transfer price was too low and Barca was dictating the terms (instead of Arsenal). Look at the way Tottenham's firm rejection to sale Modric to Chelsea. But gunners' management and Wenger are rare gentlemen in the football-world today. Wishing gunners all the best for the season.
It is easy to hold-on to a player who is leaving for money by just offering him more pay. But Fabregas wanted to go to Barca for last two years I believe. He even cut his pay to facilitate the transfer. Wenger should have been preparing for this. What came as surprise was the exit of Nasri.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks