Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2022, 13:03   #2401
KPR
BANNED

Re: The Football Thread

After 2-0 during 1st half I had stopped watching only to return back exactly at 80th minute. I'm super lucky. Mbappe truly a hero.
Old 19th December 2022, 13:04   #2402
BHPian

I think this was a great world cup. I remember in the 1990s and 2000s the teams used to play mostly defensive and games used to be less exciting.

The newer Asian/African teams have brought speed with their nothing to lose attitude and have changed the play. The Argentine passing was pure artistic, something that South American teams excel at.

The last 40 minutes had all African origin players except the goalie for France !

Last edited by PreludeSH : 19th December 2022 at 13:06.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 13:59   #2403
BHPian

I am still awestruck what we witnessed yesterday. Decades later we would remember where and with whom we saw this match. Truly an epic match !!

All the doubts that skeptics used to have about Messi's commitment for Argentina were buried with last year's Copa America win but to prove it again on the biggest stage is the icing on the cake. I don't support Argentina but I was cheering them only for Messi. If they had lost yesterday, I might have cried. We are indeed privileged to have watched the GOAT in his prime in the last 15-16 years, both for Barcelona and Argentina. What a player !!

2022 ain't so bad after all .
DigitalOne is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 13:59   #2404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
The last 40 minutes had all African origin players except the goalie for France !
Even I have observed that. More and more EUROPEAN countries are having players from African origin. BEL, NED, GER and even ENG for that matter. May be, game is moving towards more 'physical' than 'artistic'?

Meanwhile, my interest in this game started with 1986 WC and since then I have been a HUGE fan of ARG. I had been waiting for them to win another WC since that time and after heartbreaks in 1990 and 2014, it was like a 'dream come true' for me.

Last edited by kavensri : 19th December 2022 at 14:02.
kavensri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 14:25   #2405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Decades later we would remember where and with whom we saw this match.
On an overnight train with a couple of friends, heading back home to Bangalore from North Karnataka!

Minor miracle that connectivity was good enough along the way that we were able to stream most of the match! Things sure have changed. But with quite a bit of video lag. While we were still streaming the penalties, I started getting calls from friends, so I knew the match was already done. But we cut those calls and continued to watch 'live' with all the twists and turns!

As much as I'm an Argentina fan, this was Mbappe's World Cup. What a player! And he's got at least 2 more tournaments in him yet.

Last edited by am1m : 19th December 2022 at 14:27.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 14:52   #2406
Senior - BHPian

Amul special doodle

Quote:
Argentina win their third FIFA World Cup!
The Football Thread-20221219_145141.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 15:06   #2407
BHPian

An amazing game no doubt!! Kept us on the edges at all time .. except for those moments when France were never in possession of the ball for more than 2 minutes! Glory was written for Messi but I strongly believe Mbappe shone as the light of the lighthouse and lit up the stadium with his Hat-trick! Despite the majority rooting for Messi, this Mbappe turned a deaf-ear to the war cries that Messi must win, and played through his soul!! Always rooted for France to win but at the end only the best team wins and this time it was by a whisker !!

What a match, what a game, what a persona of 2 legends enthralling the crowds! We’re indeed lucky to have witnessed something as magnificent as this! One item off the bucket-list in this life
cdrajeevkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 15:33   #2408
BHPian

I guess one crucial point in the game that is being overlooked right now was Angel Di Maria's substitution after about an hour.
In hindsight, we can say that it wasn't really smart on the part of Argentina to have him substituted.
Now I'm not sure if he was completely cooked and had no energy left, cause in that case the substitution had to take place.
But he was one player running with the ball at speed and causing havoc in the French defence.

Him leaving the field meant France didn't have anyone running at them at that speed and intensity and didn't have to deal with constant attacks from Argentina.
It kind of gave them a way back into the match.

Obviously there'll be another school of thought that Argentina just wanted to protect the lead and close out the game given they were leading 2-0 and hence the substitution,
but thinking of closing out at the game at just 60 mins is too early. Should have waited at least till 75 mins before thinking of closing out the game.

I'm sure this would have been a talking point if the result had gone France's way. Nevertheless, Argentina won eventually, (deservedly so) congratulations to them.
greatgyan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 15:43   #2409
BHPian

I for one found Mbappe to be quite pedantic for most of the match. Except for the few minutes of brilliance when he scored his only field goal as well as towards the end, he was nowhere to be found.
For that matter, even Messi was sub par yesterday. He was much more entertaining to watch in the semis.
I agree with the comment about Di Maria above. His substitution brought a perceptible momentum shift in the match.
Old 19th December 2022, 16:26   #2410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Even I have observed that. More and more EUROPEAN countries are having players from African origin. BEL, NED, GER and even ENG for that matter. May be, game is moving towards more 'physical' than 'artistic'?
I believe it has more to do with endurance, speed. Their stamina is at a different level. Mbappe, Maradona, Messi, Pele, Ronaldo. Except Ronaldo, others are from non-Euro origin (though Mbappen is French). Their endurance and skill is mighty.

Last edited by ambandla : 19th December 2022 at 16:29.
Old 19th December 2022, 16:58   #2411
BANNED

After witnessing the loss of 2014 WC in last minutes of extra time, I couldn't gather courage to watch the match live this time. I played FIFA 23 the whole day yesterday to distract myself. Then started watching TV series in the evening.

Did google score check at around 10:30 to find score as 2-2 at 90+9. Then checked the score again at around 11:10 or something to find out it's 3-3 at around 120+3. I was sweating for next few minutes. And finally did score check once again to see penalties were going on with Argentina leading 3-1. And then I tuned in to see the last penalty win and joined the celebrations for next 2 hours.

Now planning to watch the whole game with smile on my face. I love spoilers . Best scene for me.
The Football Thread-iy56h6ayvq6a1.png

Last edited by ottocycle : 19th December 2022 at 17:04.
ottocycle is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 18:56   #2412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivyanshuDiv View Post
Congratulations to all football and TATA Taigo owners

Div
Hi Div, not quite aware of connection between TATA Tiago and football or the just concluded FIFA world cup. Is there any?
Old 19th December 2022, 19:52   #2413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi Mundur View Post
Hi Div, not quite aware of connection between TATA Tiago and football or the just concluded FIFA world cup. Is there any?
Messi was Tata Tiago brand ambassador.
Old 19th December 2022, 20:41   #2414
Distinguished - BHPian

As someone who is an unabashed Argentina fan right from the glory days of Diego Maradona, watching the present team lift the World Cup was joyous to say the least.

Having seen Argentina losing the ugly finals against Germany at Italia 90 and Maradona weep profusely, having seen the 94 edition which they started so well and ending with a disgrace, having seen the glory days of Arial Ortega, Gabriel Batistuta, Pablo Aimer, Juan Veron, Hernan Crespo, Juan Riquelme, Javier Zanetti, Sergio Ageuro, Javier Mascherano over so many world cups, it was unfortunate that Argentina had to wait this long and that’s why this World Cup win is special and total team effort.

Argentina started with a lose and gradually upped their play with each passing game. Every player played their part through out the tournament with Messi being the fulcrum of the well oiled machinery. The South American style of football was at display with those nifty touches and nimble passes. The whole team played like a unit, so much so that the absence of Angel DiMaria was not felt even though he was benched for the knockouts till the finals.

On the other hand, France looked like the team to beat through the group stages but almost faltered in the knock out stages. England and Morocco, both teams dominated France. Had Harry Kane not missed the penalty, France may or may not have even made it to the finals. Morocco, despite dominating France, only lost out due to poor finishing.

France was completely caught off guard by Argentina in the finals. It was as if France were no where to be found when the real test came. It was only after some quick substitution by Deschamps which looked more of a gamble than a strategy, that France got some semblance of a game to fight on. Di Maria’s substitution also was a turning point for me since he was tormenting the French defence and they had no answer at all. Mbappe for all his exploits, was almost absent throughout the match but punished Argentina when the defence was caught napping !!

Messi did whatever he could and the second goal by Di Maria was just his creation and vision. But really, the man of the moment was surely Emi Martinez and his brilliance. His last moment save to deny France a certain winning goal is as much important as his saving the penalties.

Argentina deserved to win, for they totally dominated France for most of the match. It was a wonderful final and such a World Cup final is a match for the ages. Mbappe did what he could and showed what he is capable of and I am sure we will get to see his brilliance in the coming years and might as well be the highest scorer in the World Cup ever.

But then, Lionel Messi- what a man and what a career. As a soccer lover, nothing comes close then watching the football glued to his feet. It was so good to see the World Cup in his hands. After Maradona, he is the greatest for me, for sure.

Quote:
Lionel Messi was the brand ambassador for Tata at some point and did promote Tiago, here in India.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 21:12   #2415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Messi was Tata Tiago brand ambassador.
He is the brand ambassador for BYJU's as well now.

Link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks