Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2023, 20:23   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
You're right, I don't use metro regularly. Whenever I do use it, it is always with family, so how does the card work in these situation? Do I need to get 3 cards or I swipe the card 3 times for each one of us? This is why I never got a card.
Three cards, or app on 3 phones.
Old 15th August 2023, 13:37   #227
BHPian

ಮಾಧ್ಯಮ ಪ್ರಕಟಣೆ - ಆಗಸ್ಟ್ ತಿಂಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಮೆಟ್ರೋ ರೈಲು ಕಾರ್ಯಾಚರಣೆ ಸಮಯದಲ್ಲಿ ಬದಲಾವಣೆ..
Media Release from Chief PRO, BMRCL regarding Changes to Metro Railway Operations for the month of August
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Adobe Scan 15-Aug-2023.pdf (173.8 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by BrokenHW : 15th August 2023 at 13:38. Reason: Spacing
Old 17th August 2023, 19:54   #228
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have to attend a function at Whitefield during September between 10 AM and noon. It is sufficient if I reach there before it concludes, register my presence, hobnob for an hour, have lunch and leave!

I am thinking of arriving from Chennai by Vandebharat Express which reaches by 10.15 AM and returning by Shatabdi Express which leaves by 4.20 PM.

Will it be possible to reach Whitefield from SBC and back by Metro? I know there is a missing link between Byappanahalli and KR Puram. Can I hop across by auto? I need to reach the venue at least by 11.45 AM. Is it doable?
Old 17th August 2023, 20:01   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Guys, I have to attend a function at Whitefield during September between 10 AM and noon. It is sufficient if I reach there before it concludes, register my presence, hobnob for an hour, have lunch and leave!

I am thinking of arriving from Chennai by Vandebharat Express which reaches by 10.15 AM and returning by Shatabdi Express which leaves by 4.20 PM.

Will it be possible to reach Whitefield from SBC and back by Metro? I know there is a missing link between Byappanahalli and KR Puram. Can I hop across by auto? I need to reach the venue at least by 11.45 AM. Is it doable?
Where in Whitefield are you required to be at? If you reach SBC at 10:15, another 15 mins to metro station and a train to Byappannahalli will be another 25+ mins. From then on, if travelling by road, then it depends on the day of the week. Expect mad traffic during weekdays in the morning and evening and relatively moving traffic during weekends except near the phoenix mall side.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 20:08   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Where in Whitefield are you required to be at?
The venue is Prestige Park View, Hope Farm Junction and it will be on a Sunday. I am not planning to travel by road to Whitefield from Byappanahalli but to board the metro again at KR Puram. Road travel only between Byappanahalli and KR Puram.

Last edited by Gansan : 17th August 2023 at 20:27.
Old 17th August 2023, 20:28   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will it be possible to reach Whitefield from SBC and back by Metro?
Doesn't VB stop at WFD or KJM stations? That would be nearer to Whitefield.
Quote:
The venue is Prestige Park View, Hope Farm Junction and it will be on a Sunday.
Try a train that stops at WFD railway station. Prestige park view is just 1.5 Km via road from there. Also, 1 stop in the metro or Volvo bus (335E) which start just off the railway station.

Last edited by msdivy : 17th August 2023 at 20:33.
Old 17th August 2023, 20:32   #232
Senior - BHPian

^^ It will be a lot simpler if it did! The stops are Chennai Central-Katpadi-SBC-Mysore only.
Old 17th August 2023, 20:54   #233
BHPian

Quote:
The venue is Prestige Park View, Hope Farm Junction and it will be on a Sunday.
Yes, 1145 is possible on a Sunday +/- 10 mins. You will get BMTC buses right outside Byp metro station to Hope Farm junction which would be faster than metro on a Sunday. The frequency of the KR Puram-WF metro would be very less on Sundays and you will also avoid the switching time.
DigitalOne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 22:37   #234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I am thinking of arriving from Chennai by Vandebharat Express which reaches by 10.15 AM and returning by Shatabdi Express which leaves by 4.20 PM...
Metro runs at ~10 minute intervals on Sundays. KSR stop (metro station adjacent to SBC) to BYP is ~20 mins transit time. KR Puram to Whitefield is about 25 mins. Purchase a metro pass to save time standing in line for single-use tokens.

Assuming your inbound train arrives on time; estimate 15 mins to reach metro platform at KSR + 10 minute metro interval + 20 minute ride to BYP + 20 minute change by road to KRP + 10 minute metro interval + 25 minute ride to WFD. Onward commute of ~100 minutes conservatively (assuming full 10 minute metro intervals).

About the same on return. Throw in an extra 15 min buffer, start from WFD metro station around 2.15 and reach SBC by 4.

A bit tight but doable.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th August 2023 at 22:39.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 12:18   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Since the BMRCL MD just says whatever is convenient, do any Bhpians know why it would not be possible to run 8 coach metros? The MD says it's because the stations are not long enough, and that's true, but people can always get into one of the 6 coaches and move inside to the last 2 coaches. Or is that not allowed for some Railway safety reason? I don't think so because there are a few IR trains that extend beyond the platform at smaller stations.

The alternative solution- running extra trains between MG Road and Majestic during peak hours seems more complicated- with signalling changes, people having to get down at MG road and switch trains on the same line, in the same direction. Why not just add a couple of coaches more, assuming of course they have the coaches, what with the expected number of coaches not arriving as expected? (Thanks in advance for any replies.)
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 12:46   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
<snip>
Assuming your inbound train arrives on time; estimate 15 mins to reach metro platform at KSR + 10 minute metro interval + 20 minute ride to BYP + 20 minute change by road to KRP + 10 minute metro interval + 25 minute ride to WFD. Onward commute of ~100 minutes conservatively (assuming full 10 minute metro intervals).

About the same on return. Throw in an extra 15 min buffer, start from WFD metro station around 2.15 and reach SBC by 4.

A bit tight but doable.
This is a perfect plan; provided everything works like clockwork & he gets onward connections ON time!

Just from personal experience last week (although it was a weekday evening during peak-hour rush - 6:00pm) -- it took 45min for me to reach BYP from KJM by feeder bus.

Not to mention the feeder was choc-a-bloc with people, (and I was shoved/pushed by selfish people at BYP platform causing my right leg till knee-level fall inside the gap between train & platform with timely help from other not-so-selfish co-passengers I was able to extricate my leg & board the train, and see the door close within 10sec. or so!)

Hopefully, on a weekend the rush must not be as large, and it should be doable.

Travel safe!
Old 31st August 2023, 12:46   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
but people can always get into one of the 6 coaches and move inside to the last 2 coaches. Or is that not allowed for some Railway safety reason? I don't think so because there are a few IR trains that extend beyond the platform at smaller stations
Problem is while getting out from the coaches. The doors need to be selectively opened and this could add confusion among the passengers. Also movement within the coaches is less desirable when crowded.
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 13:04   #238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
This is a perfect plan; provided everything works like clockwork & he gets onward connections ON time!
I presumed maximum delays for each metro change, and reasonable walking times at SBC both ways.

You're right about the on-road bits though, nobody can predict that part. You just cross fingers and hope.
Old 31st August 2023, 13:32   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Purchase a metro pass to save time standing in line for single-use tokens.
Quote:
Agree with Chetan's plan. Just a slight change - instead of the metro pass, just download the Namma Metro app. Buying tickets is a breeze and your ticket is valid for ~12 hours (iirc). Book all tickets (to & fro) before even getting down at SBC and you'll be good for the entire day.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 14:13   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Agree with Chetan's plan. Just a slight change - instead of the metro pass, just download the Namma Metro app. Buying tickets is a breeze and your ticket is valid for ~12 hours (iirc). Book all tickets (to & fro) before even getting down at SBC and you'll be good for the entire day.
Doesn't Bangalore metro support tickets in PayTM like Hyderabad or Chennai metro?

Most Viewed