Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2023, 15:30   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!

Did BMRCL not forsee the requirement of additional rolling stock? With pink, yellow and blue lines in pipeline, I hope BMRCL has placed enough order for the rolling stock to match the demand.

Even running shorter loops and adding more frequency on the UP and DOWN sections depending on the time of the day has not decreased the crowd during peak hours. The coaches are jam packed!
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 16:02   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Did BMRCL not forsee the requirement of additional rolling stock? With pink, yellow and blue lines in pipeline, I hope BMRCL has placed enough order for the rolling stock to match the demand.
To be frank, it doesn't look like they did.

But the big issue is that an order placed with a company in China for coaches got delayed by 4 years.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le66885378.ece

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le67480595.ece

So all these are stop-gap measures till the coaches arrive.

"The Chinese company had won a ₹1,578-crore contract in 2019, but failed to supply the trains since the company had failed to set up a manufacturing plant in India. The company was to supply 216 metro coaches to Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Ltd. (BMRCL)."

"According to officials, the supply was delayed by the Chinese company since the rule which says 75% of the manufacturing should happen in India under the Make in India initiative. The company faced challenges to find a local manufacturer under the Make in India initiative."

"A senior official confirmed the development and said, “The firm will deliver two sets of six-coach trains soon this year. The remaining coaches will be supplied to BMRCL in phases."

Last edited by am1m : 17th November 2023 at 16:14.
Old 17th November 2023, 16:38   #288
BHPian

Quote:

Even running shorter loops and adding more frequency on the UP and DOWN sections depending on the time of the day has not decreased the crowd during peak hours. The coaches are jam packed!
Multiple factors at play here
- bad forecasting of demand
- short term penny pinching (choosing lesser capacity trains - six coaches).
- The push for Make in India took the chinese company that got the contract for Phase 2 coaches by surprise and the process got delayed by 2-3 years already.
https://urbantransportnews.com/news/...-metro-phase-2

No resolution of this for the next few years :-(
Old 17th November 2023, 16:40   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

If there are no sufficient rolling stocks, why the hurry in completing the other phases of metro? Anyway, no trains can run even with lines and station complete.

8 coaches should be ideal length considering the platform length. But I would prefer trains at higher frequency than an 8 coach train right now.
Old 17th November 2023, 16:49   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If there are no sufficient rolling stocks, why the hurry in completing the other phases of metro? Anyway, no trains can run even with lines and station complete.
Well, deadlines are announced, sections are 'opened' with gaps missing, all sorts of factors at play! The MD keeps giving 'completed' statements even though a casual observer passing by can see some things are nowhere near complete. The lack of coaches will certainly impact the opening of the Yellow Line.

And I say this as a big fan of the Metro- there seems to be an overall lack of planning throughout and a big compulsion to announce unrealistic deadlines. Too many departments involved I guess.

But whatever comes, whenever, it is very welcome and will be utilized.

Quote:
8 coaches should be ideal length considering the platform length. But I would prefer trains at higher frequency than an 8 coach train right now.
I think this was discussed earlier. 6-coaches are the length of the operational platforms, so apparently for safety and operational considerations, that can't be extended. Though I'm not completely sure why- I've seen the control to isolate each individual coach opening, those can be locked to not allow the doors of the last coaches that extend beyond the platform to open. And people can get into the 6 coaches that are accessible from the platform and spread out into the other coaches. But I guess there are more operational safety considerations to take in to account. Hopefully, the new platforms will be longer to accommodate more coaches. Also I read somewhere that coaches should be in multiples of 3- so 6 or 9-coach extensions.

Last edited by am1m : 17th November 2023 at 16:53.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 16:51   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I think this was discussed earlier. 6-cars are the length of the operational platforms, so apparently for safety and operational considerations, that can't be extended. Though I'm not completely sure why- I've seen the control to isolate each individual coach opening, those can be locked to not allow the doors of the last 2 coaches that extend beyond the platform doors to open. And people can get into the 6 and spread out into the other coaches. But I guess there are more operational safety considerations to take in to account. Hopefully, the new platforms will be longer to accommodate more coaches. Also I read somewhere that coaches should be in multiples of 3- so 6 or 9-coach extensions to 3.
The newer stations on the Purple line have longer platforms. However, the existing ones are definitely not long enough to accommodate 9 coach train.
Old 26th November 2023, 11:33   #292
BHPian

Seeking inputs from regular Whitefield metro line users -

I need to pick up my parents (65+, decently fit) from the Majestic bus stand at 7.30 PM on Tuesday. The destination is close to Cessna Business Park, ORR.

Currently considering these options in the order of preference -

1) Drive my car to KR Puram metro station, park nearby, take the metro to Majestic, pick up my parents, metro back to KR Puram, pick up the car, and drive back.
Que - Are there any parking places near the KR Puram metro station? How safe?

2) BMTC bus to KR Puram metro station, take metro to Majestic, pick parents, metro back to KR Puram
  • Cab to my destination
  • BMTC bus to my destination
Que 1 - Considering we may be at KR Puram at around 8.30 PM, how likely is it to get a cab at this hour?
Que 2 - If the cab is uncertain, is BMTC a better bet? I believe I will have to cross over from the metro station to the other side to get on the bus to my destination. Is this a pain with seniors along?

3) Drive all the way to Majestic - This is my least preferred option given the peak traffic, but if BMTC/Metro is not worth it, I am ok with this.
Que - I know the car parking facility in front of KSR railway station. Are there other options around the Majestic bus station? Considering long-distance buses never reach their destination on time, I may have to loiter for some time, hence looking for a place to park my car.
Old 27th November 2023, 13:14   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubbi View Post
I need to pick up my parents (65+, decently fit) from the Majestic bus stand at 7.30 PM on Tuesday. The destination is close to Cessna Business Park, ORR.
Two additional factors:

[1] It would be peak hour on a weekday evening, so expect packed trains especially when boarding towards Majestic. Remember that the doors open on the right when you have to deboard at Majestic, so position yourself accordingly. If you start your return around 8 pm, the trains won't be jam-packed but empty seats will be rare.

[2] There are metro feeder buses through ORR. They most likely start from right in front of KRPuram metro station, so there won't be a need to cross to the Railway Station side.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 13:16   #294
BHPian

Quote:
1) Drive my car to KR Puram metro station, park nearby, take the metro to Majestic, pick up my parents, metro back to KR Puram, pick up the car, and drive back.
There is KR Puram railway station paid parking, which is adjacent to the KR Puram railway station and opposite to the Metro station. It is quite close but you have to cross the road, it should be manageable as you will be with your parents.

Another alternative is Baiyyappanahalli Metro station paid parking, where there is lot more parking and you can exit directly to the parking lot. It will be bit more walking, but no road crossing. There are two parking lots, smaller one in Old Madras Road side and larger one on the other side (i.e. NGEF). I have recently used the NGEF parking and it is generally available, you may have to use your mobile torch in the night as it is not fully lit.

Baiyyappanahalli Metro station has escalators/lifts, I think it should be same in KR Puram.
wocanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 14:35   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My suggestion would be BMTC + Metro
Getting cab is bit of a hit or miss from this side of town.

Alternatively, you can consider taking above mentioned option for onward and take cab for return from station too.

However, its not a hassle to get in to bus from KR puram station. If your house is bit far from ORR bus stop, you anyway can park your car near to New horizon college or anywhere in that vicinity and take it after reaching there in bus.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 15:14   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3) Drive all the way to Majestic - This is my least preferred option given the peak traffic, but if BMTC/Metro is not worth it, I am ok with this.
Que - I know the car parking facility in front of KSR railway station. Are there other options around the Majestic bus station? Considering long-distance buses never reach their destination on time, I may have to loiter for some time, hence looking for a place to park my car.
Since this is for your parents, in this situation, will go against the general recommendation and say just drive. Mainly because, it is evening, rush hour, aged parents already coming of a long bus ride- why again put them through the effort of walking to the metro, taking what will definitely be a crowded train and then again doing a BMTC/Cab stuff from KR Puram. Cabs will be hard to get during that time.

Other option is that you go via BMTC+Metro and return take a call depending on when they reach- Maybe a direct cab from there would work.

Or do you have an option of pickup in the outskirts?-depending on where they are coming from.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 15:55   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Drive to Byapanahalli metro station instead which has a massive car parking facility and then take the metro. It is just down the road from KR Puram.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 17:37   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Que 2 - If the cab is uncertain, is BMTC a better bet? I believe I will have to cross over from the metro station to the other side to get on the bus to my destination. Is this a pain with seniors along?
If the KSRTC dis-embark point is on the side opp to the station, then check how much of a walk it is to the metro. If too long, then a BMTC Volvo may be a better bet here, IMO.

Last edited by condor : 27th November 2023 at 17:39.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 17:47   #299
BHPian

Quote:

Parking is available at the KR Puram Railway Station, we had parked our car there for a few days on long-term parking and no issues at all! I can suggest you to drop your car there, walk through that stairwell to the station (I'm not sure if it's ready yet) and then catch a train to your desired destination!

Cheers!
nova.19_exe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 17:57   #300
BHPian

Are they dynamically changing the number of coaches between the lines ? I used to always see higher number of coaches on the purple line but last week saw fewer numbers.

Wonder if they are putting more on the other green line which usually is more crowded. This can happen if the number of trains are also changed and not have enough coaches.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks