Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2024, 11:49   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
When entering the station, the security check line had reached the bridge across the old madras road!
That security check is useless and a big bottleneck. Most of the time no one is actually watching the screens on the scanner, even when there isn't much of a crowd. And during rush hour, the bags just pass freely. They should just do away with it and avoid the extra hold up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
I feel they have reduced the number of coaches from 9 to lower number on RR Nagar train
All trains are 6-car. And that is the limit right now, because of station length (poor planning again). And I don't think they reduce the number to 3 on any train. (Remember reading that it has to be in multiples of 3, because of the way the coaches work).

Last edited by am1m : 9th February 2024 at 11:50.
Old 9th February 2024, 12:18   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
That security check is useless and a big bottleneck. Most of the time no one is actually watching the screens on the scanner, even when there isn't much of a crowd. And during rush hour, the bags just pass freely. They should just do away with it and avoid the extra hold up.

All trains are 6-car. And that is the limit right now, because of station length (poor planning again). And I don't think they reduce the number to 3 on any train. (Remember reading that it has to be in multiples of 3, because of the way the coaches work).
Thanks. It was from 3 to 6.

BMRCL should run electric shuttle buses from around 5 kms radius or so of a metro station (or merge with BMTC).

I see people using it between ITPL and Kengeri. Some students use it between Whitelfied to RV college ! For office goers or students staying in RR Nagar, they can use Mysuru road one or Banashankari one depending on destination.

It really helps in shortening the distance and keeping it constant unlike road vehicles.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 12:40   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
All trains are 6-car. And that is the limit right now, because of station length (poor planning again).
This is going to be a big problem as the other lines get active going forward. The only solution is to increase the frequency. Currently (atleast during peak hours) the frequency is every five minutes; and can potentially go upto every 3 minutes but they need extra trains for that which is a different problem to solve. If they want to go even further; say to a frequency of 2 minutes, then the signaling system needs to be upgraded. As per BMRCL, the system can handle that much load (once the signaling system is upgraded).

Sources: 1
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 12:56   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BMRCL should run electric shuttle buses from around 5 kms radius or so of a metro station (or merge with BMTC).
BMTC has started some Metro shuttle routes recently. I remember they had started something like this a long time ago, and as usual, they found a way/reason to stop those too. Hope it gets a better response this time around and continues.

Ideally, they should let private players do this with minibuses.

The problem with BMTC running this is they will have to use their regular full-size buses and those will have to wait till they are somewhat occupied, leading to lower frequency, leading to less people using it, leading to it being cancelled. For a shuttle, frequency and operational profit is key. BMRCL anyway is not bothered about anything outside of building the metro and running the trains. Last mile connectivity, etc is not their concern unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
...but they need extra trains for that which is a different problem to solve.
That is another saga, and that was discussed earlier too. But it is what it is. Even with the slow pace of construction and all the attendant issues, the Metro is working well. Perhaps eventually, when the pressure to complete lines, get coaches, etc is off, BMRCL/the government will start looking into things like making the whole integrated transport system more usable and things like that. Till then, Bangalore will use whatever it can get! Personally, the Metro has transformed my life, no exaggeration. I just design my life around it, select where I go, visit, based on distance from a Metro station. It has helped me avoid a lot of Bangalore traffic and I am grateful.

Last edited by am1m : 9th February 2024 at 12:59.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 13:12   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
After a few months (in the interim the purple line has been extended on both ends) <snip> With this kind of crowd, it’s a perfect recipe for spread of viruses like Covid etc, so I would highly recommend using a mask!
Agree!
I wear mask compulsorily when using any sort of public transport - be it BMRCL or BMTC. Better safe than sorry.

In addition, the crowd needs to be controlled to ensure safety. I have used metro rail in atleast 3 foreign countries, nowhere had I faced any safety issue as faced at Vivekananda station

Was standing in the Q to board train, suddenly the train docked & from nowhere some men started rushing in, ignoring the Q & all.

One hefty guy ran in diagonally from behind, in the rush to get in, pushed me in somewhat oblique direction to the alignment between train/platform, causing me lose balance & my leg to go inside the gap between train & platform. Just in the nick of time, couple of passengers pulled me up to safety, otherwise I'm sure I'd be one limb shorter

Only proper Q management by BMRCL can ensure such avoidable hassles. Have no hopes of passengers following discipline.
Old 9th February 2024, 16:03   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
Agree!
I wear mask compulsorily when using any sort of public transport - be it BMRCL or BMTC. Better safe than sorry.

In addition, the crowd needs to be controlled to ensure safety. I have used metro rail in atleast 3 foreign countries, nowhere had I faced any safety issue as faced at Vivekananda station

Was standing in the Q to board train, suddenly the train docked & from nowhere some men started rushing in, ignoring the Q & all.

One hefty guy ran in diagonally from behind, in the rush to get in, pushed me in somewhat oblique direction to the alignment between train/platform, causing me lose balance & my leg to go inside the gap between train & platform. Just in the nick of time, couple of passengers pulled me up to safety, otherwise I'm sure I'd be one limb shorter

Only proper Q management by BMRCL can ensure such avoidable hassles. Have no hopes of passengers following discipline.
Sorry to hear that. We are not civilized in public places. They should start imparting these lesson in early school.

I think they will be putting transparent barriers on the platform with openings only at the door positions. Still the opening between door and platform will exist and they should do something about that like extending footboard activated with door opening.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 08:29   #322
Senior - BHPian

An update on Yellow line
Quote:
The 18.8-km Bengaluru Metro’s Yellow Line, connecting RV Road with Bommasandra, was initially expected to be operational in 2021 before BMRCL pushed the deadline to December 2024.
Link: https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/te...21911.html/amp

What’s consistent is the regular revision of deadline. Last revision was July 2024, now pushed to Dec 2024.
msdivy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 09:57   #323

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. We are not civilized in public places. They should start imparting these lesson in early school.

I think they will be putting transparent barriers on the platform with openings only at the door positions. Still the opening between door and platform will exist and they should do something about that like extending footboard activated with door opening.
This is scary. The behaviour is inexplicable. Sometimes, it feels like only the rule of the stick works in most Indian contexts.
Old 11th March 2024, 11:08   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

They have installed Guard rails at the edge of the platform aligned with the location where the doors open at Majestic station. This solves the crowd barging problem to a great extent during peak hours. Hope they install it at all stations.
Old 11th March 2024, 14:21   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
They have installed Guard rails at the edge of the platform aligned with the location where the doors open at Majestic station. This solves the crowd barging problem to a great extent during peak hours. Hope they install it at all stations.
Not really. I used the Majestic station on March 2nd (saturday) and it was the same old story.

People queued up before the train arrived at the platform. Once the train arrived, the queue just collapsed and it was a free for all to board the train.

We have a long way to go before we learn how to queue properly.
kbnissan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 16:26   #326
BHPian

Hi members, I have a National Common Mobility Card issued by RBL Bank which I purchased from Bangalore Metro Station. It had some balance and I was able to use it in Chennai Metro. Now I have come to Kochi and the balance is low and I recharged it online and the fund is now stuck in some sub account called "intermediate". It won't allow me to use unless I have funds in "offline" account which as per the customer care associate can only be done from BMRCL station

I don't understand the point of One Nation One Card when it can't be recharged from anywhere except the city where it was brought! Am I being misled or is it really limited this way?
Old 18th March 2024, 21:29   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
Hi members, I have a National Common Mobility Card issued by RBL Bank which I purchased from Bangalore Metro Station. Now I have come to Kochi...

I don't understand the point of One Nation One Card...
Please refer to my post in the NCMC thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post5669096 (NCMC Card: 1 card to pay for transport services in India (toll, parking, bus, metro, railway etc.))

Kochi Metro does not recognise the NCMC card yet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks