Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2022, 20:29   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!

Extension of Bangalore Metro to Hosur approved?

https://www.facebook.com/bangalore24...5365707347401/
Old 13th June 2022, 21:36   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
This 'news' was discussed on one of the dedicated Bangalore Metro forums. All that has happened is that the proposal was put forward to explore the possibility at a meeting of Metro system MDs at Pune last year. The Karnataka CM has 'approved' sending the possibility over to the TN government for a feasibility study.

Going by the process involved in actually approving and sanctioning previous lines, it's a loooong way away from even being really "approved". At the minimum, feasibility study, ridership projections, DPR, the Karnataka Cabinet has to approve, then Central Govt. then funding, etc etc.

I'm pretty sure a link to Hosur will happen sometime in the future. But right now, this is just getting some political mileage for the MP from TN who proposed it and I guess for the KA govt. without having to actually do anything. And for the news to spin a story out of some initial groundwork, that's all.

I'll just be thrilled if the Whitefield line opens as BMRCL promised this year!

Last edited by am1m : 13th June 2022 at 21:42.
Old 14th June 2022, 06:13   #183
Senior - BHPian

Is Hosur a part of Karnataka?
Quote:
Old 14th June 2022, 07:09   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I'm pretty sure a link to Hosur will happen sometime in the future. But right now, this is just getting some political mileage for the MP from TN who proposed it and I guess for the KA govt. without having to actually do anything. And for the news to spin a story out of some initial groundwork, that's all.
The way the story was spun out by the media, one would assume that construction.would start tomorrow. Just an attention grabbing headline which was picked up by everyone who wanted to criticize or hail the decision and definitely as you mentioned a long long long way away from happening.

Hosur already has a rail connection to Bangalore and the Hosur Byappanahalli stretch was recently electrified and is in the process of being made a double line. Lots of people already use the basic train services between Hosur and Bangalore to come to work. This is a more realistic and near term solution for commuters from Hosur and neighbouring areas to come to Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
It is obviously not, but technically Hosur town area starts maybe 500mts post the border at Attibelle and is more tied to Bangalore in all aspects. There is not even a train service from Hosur to Chennai.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 08:14   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The problem which I foresee is crowded trains even before it enters Karnataka. There will be at least 2 stops inside Hosur. Our politicians always find ways to create disasters.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 08:40   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should it be for the coverage to happen? It is practically a Bangalore suburb. Extension of metro only requires cost sharing by the two states. Anyway what I have quoted is a Bangalore forum.

I think Delhi metro already covers some cities in Haryana and U.P?
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 09:42   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Extension of metro only requires cost sharing by the two states.
Absolutely. There is already a precedent for this with the Delhi Metro going beyond state borders. The Metro procedures provide for something like this already.

What I remember reading is that it's also a question of ridership. Connecting places across state borders by Metro is feasible if there is sufficient population density along the route between the places. Which is basically the requirement for a Metro, density. Otherwise, if it's a matter of a large crowd just moving between two points without any real crowd at stops in between, a suburban rail makes more sense. That's why I think at this point they will conclude that it makes sense to improve the existing suburban train frequency. Eventually I'm pretty sure that urbanization/development will happen all along the route, and eventually it will make sense to go the Metro way. But I don't think that will be for a long time.

(And I'm sure the politicians know this too. But by spinning the news in this way right now the media have already gained what they wanted- eyeballs and some outrage by people of Bangalore unnecessarily getting worked up about "our" Metro being extended into "another state" before even covering Bangalore! )

Last edited by am1m : 14th June 2022 at 09:49.
Old 14th June 2022, 10:23   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Both BLR-Hosur and to some extent BLR-Nelamangala can see traffic. But old word is that on the South side, the track would be extended upto AoL on the Kanakapura road section. This one was/is outrageous. There is hardly any usage beyond Thalaghattapura upto Silk Institute. IF the AoL extension happens, the most to be benefitted are the AoL devotees.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 10:52   #189
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Should it be for the coverage to happen? It is practically a Bangalore suburb. Extension of metro only requires cost sharing by the two states. Anyway what I have quoted is a Bangalore forum.

Unfortunately yes. The land control still belongs to the state government. Delhi is a unique case as it is covered under NCR region act which gave significant powers on land use in those areas covered under it. In fact, there is a dedicated NCR transport corporation floated to expand the connectivity in and around NCR region with the participation of Central government and all neighboring state governments.

Also, whenever metro is implemented, it is a special purpose vehicle created as joint venture between central and state government with defined share between investment and revenue. So this is possible only if TN Government is willing to participate in it. I believe it will be a political call rather than economic/connectivity decision. It may well be a rapid light rail by TN Govt/Railways which acts as a feeder to a Station at Athipally border to connect the 'Bangalore' Metro.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 11:33   #190
Senior - BHPian

The brains behind this proposal have intentionally forgoten about adding a station at Chandapura and Huskur for the existing train which runs between Hosur and Devanahalli.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 16:08   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
The land control still belongs to the state government.
Surely in the case of DMRC too the land will be under the control of the Haryana and U.P governments. DMRC will have full control of the pillars, overhead tracks/infrastructure and the stations. Something like that can surely be worked out between other states as well. Probably not now.
Old 30th September 2022, 08:52   #192
BHPian

Concerns are being raised over the quality of Metro construction work after large cavities were detected on piers between Goraguntepalya & Peenya Metro stations

The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-20220930_082818.jpg

Pillars between 377 and 380 near Goraguntepalya Metro station

The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-20220930_082919.jpg

The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-20220930_082922.jpg
BrokenHW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 07:43   #193
BHPian

BMRCLs public notice: Ahead of trial runs, third rail laid on the viaduct between Whitefield and KR Puram will be test charged from October 15

The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-20221001_074208.jpg
Old 1st October 2022, 12:00   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenHW View Post
Concerns are being raised over the quality of Metro construction work after large cavities were detected on piers between Goraguntepalya & Peenya Metro stations.
Attachment 2363231
There were allegations of filtered sand being used during construction, the sand rate had gone up significantly between 2013-14. We may be seeing the result of dubious quality in construction.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 13:54   #195
BHPian

Namma Metro's trial run started from Whitefield to ITPL on Friday 21st October 2022

The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-20221021_135246.jpg

The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-20221021_135251.jpg
BrokenHW is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks