Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2023, 19:05   #301
BHPian

Re: The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!

After all the delays in the Infra, we are now see shortageing of coaches. The Yellow line is now waiting for coaches from China. And what is surprising is that different city Metros have different vendors.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le67423585.ece

Given the number of metro projects going on across the country, we should have set a standard and selected one or two vendors and forced them them to manufacture the coaches in India.
Old 27th November 2023, 19:47   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
After all the delays in the Infra, we are now see shortageing of coaches. The Yellow line is now waiting for coaches from China. And what is surprising is that different city Metros have different vendors.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le67423585.ece

Given the number of metro projects going on across the country, we should have set a standard and selected one or two vendors and forced them them to manufacture the coaches in India.
Yes this is completely surprising. By using standard coach designs both the manufacturing and maintenance costs could have been controlled. The same is case with the "Namo Bharat" trains. We could have leveraged Vande Bharat Design to build the trains from ICF. Although there are some differences like Vande Bharat is designed for Broad Gauge and for RRTS they have selected Narrow Gauge.

May be someone who has detailed knowledge on this topic can throw some more light.
Old 27th November 2023, 21:27   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_sk View Post
By using standard coach designs both the manufacturing and maintenance costs could have been controlled.
One key difference is in the electrification method - overhead lines & third rail. Many in India use the former & rest the latter including BMRCL. Other factors are capacity, number of coaches, features, etc. So a single design cannot cover all. But we can have a few standard options.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 21:40   #304
Team-BHP Support

While reading through Metro Electric Design, one thing came out surprising to me was that Chennai Metro runs on 25KV AC. Its identical to regular broad gauge line. Which is actually quite good given we don't have to re-do a different power supply grid planning.

What I wonder is how come we don't have this in Bangalore and other cities and have differnet power grid schemes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Maybe because Chennai already has a local train network running on EMU's? This made it easier to extend the 25KV line from railways to the Metro? Just thinking out loud.
You may be right because if you see Delhi Metro also runs on 25KV AC. But need to dig more onto this.

Last edited by ampere : 27th November 2023 at 21:46.
Old 27th November 2023, 21:42   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
While reading through Metro Electric Design, one thing came out surprising to me was that Chennai Metro runs on 25KV AC. Its identical to regular broad gauge line. Which is actually quite good given we don't have to re-do a different power supply grid planning.

What I wonder is how come we don't have this in Bangalore and other cities and have differnet power grid schemes.
Maybe because Chennai already has a local train network running on EMU's? This made it easier to extend the 25KV line from railways to the Metro? Just thinking out loud.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 06:29   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

You may be right because if you see Delhi Metro also runs on 25KV AC. But need to dig more onto this.
Chennai, Mumbai, etc Metro run on OHE, which require 25KV AC (efficient for long distance transmission).

Blore Metro runs on 3rd rail, which require 750V DC (needs frequent substations for efficiency, but is much more aesthetic without the visual pollution of OHE poles).

In the interest of architectural aesthetics, Blore Metro (and possibly Pune Metro Line 3) decided to go for 3rd rail.

OHE and 3rd rail have different upper speed limits with OHE allowing for greater speeds, but given that city metro systems will run at max 90 kmph, that limitation becomes irrelevant in either system.

Last edited by vharihar : 28th November 2023 at 06:31.
vharihar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 07:11   #307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
OHE and 3rd rail have different upper speed limits with OHE allowing for greater speeds, but given that city metro systems will run at max 90 kmph, that limitation becomes irrelevant in either system.
Thanks for that insight. Am still thinking wont it be easy to continue on a working power grid which is easier to scale based on past?

I guess like you mention the main advantage is no additional overhead poles/cables. But we pay in terms of frequent substations. Is that the only decision fork needed? Any thing for power grid standpoint? Need for speed like you mentioned already is taken off the table.
Old 28th November 2023, 07:36   #308
BHPian

I am planning to commute to my workplace in Electronic city from JP Nagar. If I plan for this to be in March, what are the odds of me being able to take the yellow line? Any chance of completion at least partially? If the commute continues to be 2hrs, I will drop the plans of working during my India trip.
Old 28th November 2023, 08:13   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
I am planning to commute to my workplace in Electronic city from JP Nagar. If I plan for this to be in March, what are the odds of me being able to take the yellow line? Any chance of completion at least partially? If the commute continues to be 2hrs, I will drop the plans of working during my India trip.
Operationalization is said to be around March or so. From what you say, your travel requirement looks to be for a short period - may be a month. If this is correct, I wont bet on you being able to take the yellow line and get to work.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 09:35   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Doubtful if it will be completed by March. Also with regards to the 2H travel, it depends on where in JP Nagar. I used to live in 7th Phase a few years ago and worst time for me over a 5 month period was 75 mins. Average about 40 mins iirc.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 09:57   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to commute to my workplace in Electronic city from JP Nagar. If I plan for this to be in March, what are the odds of me being able to take the yellow line?
I'd say no chance at all. Now they have announced yet another date April 2024

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...-11574091.html

So it'll definitely overshoot that date as well. Sad, but true. So many dates announced and revised.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 10:38   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
So it'll definitely overshoot that date as well. Sad, but true. So many dates announced and revised.
Yes, there been mention of June 2024 or later being mentioned.
However, with noise around first set of rolling stock being ready in China, I assume there may be a soft - visible inauguration before election code kicks in, followed by a slow ramp up past that. Almost similar to the KR puram - Whitefield section.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 21:17   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Operationalization is said to be around March or so. From what you say, your travel requirement looks to be for a short period - may be a month. If this is correct, I wont bet on you being able to take the yellow line and get to work.
I haven't booked tickets yet, I was planning to work for a month, do some weekend riding trips, etc. Now, I have second thoughts, I fear the commute times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Doubtful if it will be completed by March. Also with regards to the 2H travel, it depends on where in JP Nagar. I used to live in 7th Phase a few years ago and worst time for me over a 5 month period was 75 mins. Average about 40 mins iirc.
JP Nagar 1st phase near Pump House. I commuted for a week this year. For 8am start using cab ola/Uber it took 2 hours. Same deal coming back anytime after 4.30pm.

Reading the take of you guys, 2025 commute to Ecity is a reasonable expectation.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 28th November 2023 at 21:23.
Old 9th February 2024, 11:33   #314
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

After a few months (in the interim the purple line has been extended on both ends) I used the metro for an evening rush hour commute from Swami Vivekananda station to Rajarajeshwari Nagar and it was filled to the brim. The crowd reduced a bit after Majestic.
When entering the station, the security check line had reached the bridge across the old madras road!

With this kind of crowd, it’s a perfect recipe for spread of viruses like Covid etc, so I would highly recommend using a mask!

Last edited by NPV : 9th February 2024 at 11:34.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 11:43   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
After a few months (in the interim the purple line has been extended on both ends) I used the metro for an evening rush hour commute from Swami Vivekananda station to Rajarajeshwari Nagar and it was filled to the brim. The crowd reduced a bit after Majestic.
When entering the station, the security check line had reached the bridge across the old madras road!

With this kind of crowd, it’s a perfect recipe for spread of viruses like Covid etc, so I would highly recommend using a mask!
Agree completely. Whenever I use public transport I wear a mask. Metro really needs to look at number of coaches and frequency.

I feel they have reduced the number of coaches from 9 to lower number on RR Nagar train
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks