Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2022, 15:29   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!

Working out of the 13th floor of a building opposite what is going to be the Tin Factory metro station (just before KR Puram on the Purple Line) and must say am puzzled by the pace of work. For a stretch that needs to be completed by this year end and with one whole section still to be connected, there seem to be very few workers at the site. Would think the BMRCL would throw everything they have at this relatively advanced section to get it up and running as soon as possible and the site would be swarming with workers. Doesn't seem like that. I love the metro and think it's the only civilized way to commute in a city. Just wish they go all out to meet their deadlines.
Old 21st April 2022, 15:00   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
For a stretch that needs to be completed by this year end and with one whole section still to be connected, there seem to be very few workers at the site.
And sure enough they're going to miss this deadline too and not open this year. Of course the excuses are numerous- covid, railway land dispute, land acquisition, etc. But they've also gone really slow- hardly any workers on this section for months, even post covid.

Well, at least they're asking for feedback:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/BMRCLenglish

Last edited by am1m : 21st April 2022 at 15:03.
Old 21st April 2022, 15:15   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just wish they go all out to meet their deadlines.
This is Bangalore where even a flyover can take a decade to complete. e.g. Byapanahalli ROB, Hennur ORR flyover, Ejipura mess.
So missing deadline for public works is a given.
Diametrically opposite to private works where malls, office buildings etc mushroom on a weekly basis.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 18:12   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Working out of the 13th floor of a building opposite what is going to be the Tin Factory metro station (just before KR Puram on the Purple Line) and must say am puzzled by the pace of work...
I have been in the same situation wrt the green line. We could see that the line was complete, but workers would come about once a month and pretend to work and then disappear. Eventually, by the time the green line opened, our office had shifted to the outskirts of Bangalore!

On another note, does anyone know what it costs to do this sticker job? Who asked for it, and why are they using our taxes to promote this?
Attached Thumbnails
The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-20220412_195113.jpg  

mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 18:56   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I have been in the same situation wrt the green line. We could see that the line was complete, but workers would come about once a month and pretend to work and then disappear.
It's really puzzling to see the lack of workers and action on some sections of the Metro work in progress. I think it's dependent on the contractor, because the UG sections, especially around the MG Road area are buzzing with activity every time I've passed that way. But the sad thing is unless all sections are completed, the entire line/section will not be able to open. I really envy the way the Delhi Metro is progressing, in comparison.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 11:28   #171
BHPian

Hi, Total novice to the metro here. Never used it before. I would like to know if there are any viable options on getting to Peenya from my home on the Outer Ring Road near Bellandur combining a leg on BMTC with metro. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 8th May 2022, 12:01   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Hi, Total novice to the metro here. Never used it before. I would like to know if there are any viable options on getting to Peenya from my home on the Outer Ring Road near Bellandur combining a leg on BMTC with metro. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.
Always time and money saving (should be comfortable, if it is not peak hours) if you take the metro. Either take a bus or some other transport to the nearest metro station and then take metro to Peenya or Peenya Industry metro station.
Old 8th May 2022, 14:01   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Always time and money saving (should be comfortable, if it is not peak hours) if you take the metro. Either take a bus or some other transport to the nearest metro station and then take metro to Peenya or Peenya Industry metro station.
Sorry, should have been more specific. I don't know if there are frequent Volvos from Bellandur now, but your best bet is to take a 500 series Volvo to Banashankari TTMC and then walk to the metro station near by. The green line should take you directly to Peenya Metro station. The other option would be to go to Majestic (KBS) and again walk to the metro station near by and take the green line.

You should check the frequency of the bus services during the days and times you would be using the bus services with someone who is using them on a regular basis. On weekends they tend to abruptly cut services, same case with off peak hours/evenings - and the meaning of the term "off-peak" is as defined by BMTC . These days I hardly see any Volvos plying. And don't trust Google Maps regarding bus timings.

This site is useful (or used to be):

https://narasimhadatta.info/bmtc_query.html

Let's know how you fared with your little adventure.
Old 8th May 2022, 14:52   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.. the UG sections, especially around the MG Road area are buzzing with activity every time I've passed that way.
UG sections take much more time for completion than the overhead sections. Even with Phase 1, the work started on both UG and OH sections at same time. This led to OH sections being ready but UG sections slowed down the operationalization. If they had planned things well then Phase 1 would have been ready in lesser time. I dont think AECOM (the entity which prepared the detailed Project Plan) would have missed it.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 16:17   #175
Senior - BHPian

A couple of pay-and-use public toilets have come up in the MG Road Boulevard. Per head charges: Rs 10.
Old 10th June 2022, 16:37   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
A couple of pay-and-use public toilets have come up in the MG Road Boulevard. Per head charges: Rs 10.
I am willing to pay as long as they are maintained well and do not smell like public toilets
Old 10th June 2022, 16:46   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I am willing to pay as long as they are maintained well and do not smell like public toilets
Most (actually all in my experience so far) paid toilets in Bangalore have been spotlessly clean and maintained pretty well. Atleast the ones in the main areas of the city, haven't tried the ones in the fringe suburbs. I get to use them a lot while doing my running/walks around the city early mornings.

It's the 'free' ones that generally are with issues, but haven't experienced one yet so far in Bangalore. Other cities (Mumbai for e.g.) - yes!
Old 13th June 2022, 11:28   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know if there are frequent Volvos from Bellandur now, but your best bet is to take a 500 series Volvo to Banashankari TTMC and then walk to the metro station near by.
Isn't that a very roundabout route? Reaching Banasankari from Bellandur by bus would itself take an hour, if not more. The nearest metro to Bellandur is Byapanahalli/Indiranagar but I am not aware of the connectivity to Peenya from there. Not sure about money, but in the current form, the metro will definitely not save time, especially when one has to travel more than 10 km to a nearby station.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 13:03   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
... The nearest metro to Bellandur is Byapanahalli/Indiranagar..
Yes, you are probably right about taking a bus to Byapanahalli. But you are less likely to get stuck in traffic if you use the metro. So OP should take a Volvo to Byapanahalli (I think even the KIA series now pick up and drop you anywhere along the route like normal Volvos). I suspect that the frequency of Volvos to Majestic or Banashankari TTMC are much higher.

Don't know about the total time, but bus service is relatively unreliable.
Old 13th June 2022, 13:47   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Getting to & from a metro can be prohibitive in your case, both time and cost wise. You aren't close to either the purple line (closest stations Indiranagar/Byappanahalli) or green line (closest station Banashankari). If you take the Purple line, you'll need to change to green line at Majestic.

Either way, you're looking at long bus rides with possible interchanges needed, or expensive cab rides on the Bellandur leg of your journey both ways.

Can be done, but makes little sense if time/cost are a factor.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th June 2022 at 13:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks