Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How much do you pay for your broadband? - per month...
upto Rs.300 21 1.55%
Rs.301 - 500 65 4.80%
Rs.501-700 162 11.96%
Rs.701-1,000 410 30.26%
Rs.1,001 - 2000 569 41.99%
Rs.2001 - 5000 84 6.20%
Rs.5001 - 10000 11 0.81%
Don't have broadband!! 33 2.44%
Voters: 1355. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2015, 14:50   #586
BHPian

Re: How much do you pay for your broadband?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
After 6 months of using Tata Photon WIMAX the speed has dropped from 2mpbs to .03mbps in AECS Layout/Brookfield in Bangalore.
As per Tata Photon AECS Layout falls in highly congested area (high number of users using internet service at the same time) and hence cannot help.
What are the other options other , How is Railtel , they have office in ITPL main road.
If guess Airtel broadband must be available in your area. If so, go for it. They have introduced a new scheme for Rs 1200 with 8 Mbps speed and 60 GB limit. If you pay another Rs 100, all outgoing calls (domestic) are free.
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:48   #587
Senior - BHPian

I am staying for rent, hence opting only for wireless internet. Currently using a 'generic' modem with idea 3G Simcard. I also have a TataDocomo 'wireless' landline, but it cannot be used for internet (phone calls only). How is the speed/service of reliance wireless broadband through handsets? I am particularly interested in the 'Smart FWP' set, given below:
http://www.rcom.co.in/Rcom/personal/...t/devices.html
http://shop.rcom.co.in/fixed-phones
Old 24th July 2015, 10:19   #588
BHPian

We Kolkatans are not nearly as lucky as you guys in bangalore. I am using airtel broadband for the last 6 years. Its a 8Mbps connection with FUP limit of 60Gb and unlimited local calls. Charges are 1499 plus taxes!

But to be honest, this is by far a better than all other options available in my locality. The local cable guy offers unlimited broadband with no FUP but at speeds of 1.5Mbps only. Also, airtel's customer support services are fantastic. So will probably stick with them even if slightly cheaper options become available.
Old 24th July 2015, 11:06   #589
BHPian

So for the back to back posts but I think you guys will find this to be interesting. http://www.netindex.com/download/2,11/India/

PS: Its extremely disappointing to see how slow broadband connectivity is in Kolkata. Infact, wireline broadband in Kolkata is actually slower than wireless broadband. This doesn't seem to be the case with any other city tracked by Ookla.

[Also, check out the average broadband speeds in some other countries and you'll understand how far India still has to go!]

Last edited by scuderiamania : 24th July 2015 at 11:07.
Old 15th August 2015, 10:10   #590
BHPian

I live in Banashankari, got fed up with BSNL. Their plan is bad and speeds are bad. Any suugestions like Airtel, Tct, Tikona etc? Anybody in this area?
Old 15th August 2015, 10:44   #591
BANNED

A cousin has recently moved to Chembur from outside Bombay. Any suggestions for Broadband in Chembur? Budget is 1000-1500 per month.

Reliability is far more important than speed or FUP.
Old 15th August 2015, 11:04   #592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
Just got Tikona Wireless Broadband installed at my house yesterday - I've chosen the 4MBPS Plan @ Rs.1250.00 per month for 50GB download quota. Let's hope it works well!
Please get rid of it ! I had horrible experience with them. They are prompt to collect money and don't deliver on service! Unfortunately I had already paid money for the next 3 months so couldn't do much.

I'll advise you to please record all your calls with the tikona CC and screenshot the speeds/ and complaints raised through their portal etc.

Even today I get calls from them to pay up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
A cousin has recently moved to Chembur from outside Bombay. Any suggestions for Broadband in Chembur? Budget is 1000-1500 per month.

Go for mtnl. Yes at times you get a bit slow speed but it's very reliable. It rarely goes off. I've been using it since a long time.

Last edited by blackwasp : 15th August 2015 at 11:06.
Old 15th August 2015, 12:13   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
I live in Banashankari, got fed up with BSNL. Their plan is bad and speeds are bad. Any suugestions like Airtel, Tct, Tikona etc? Anybody in this area?
I believe Airtel should be available in your area. They cost a bit more, but their service has been exemplary in the 7 years have been with them.
Old 16th August 2015, 03:28   #594
BHPian

I pay 1100 including taxes for 16Mbps, 75GB FUP and 2Mbps post FUP.
Old 16th August 2015, 08:14   #595
NH6

I have taken Airtel 8mbps with 50gb for INR 1149 + taxes. Includes local voice calls worth INR 1000.

They don't provide 16mbps in my area.
Old 16th August 2015, 10:15   #596
BHPian

Quote:

Last time I checked, Hathway also offered excellent and affordable broadband services in Chembur area. Pls do check with them.

Last edited by abhjain : 16th August 2015 at 10:16.
Old 16th August 2015, 10:18   #597
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Go for mtnl. Yes at times you get a bit slow speed but it's very reliable. It rarely goes off. I've been using it since a long time.
I have had MTNL - the problem with MTNL is that if it does go off only in your place, their people have no idea how to fix it. They are linesmen. All they do is reset the modem. And then right click on desktop, click refresh a few times and how it somehow fixes everything.

I prefer Airtel Broadband which is very reliable and their support guys actually know stuff. However, I am wondering if the cable internet operators have decent internet. If not, I think I will ask the person to go for Airtel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Last time I checked, Hathway also offered excellent and affordable broadband services in Chembur area. Pls do check with them.
Any idea about their uptime? Does Hathway offer it through Bhavani cable, do you know? Or is it separate?

Last edited by carboy : 16th August 2015 at 10:22.
Old 16th August 2015, 10:24   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have had MTNL - the problem with MTNL is that if it does go off only in your place, their people have no idea how to fix it. They are linesmen. All they do is reset the modem. And then right click on desktop, click refresh a few times and how it somehow fixes everything.

I prefer Airtel Broadband which is very reliable and their support guys actually know stuff. However, I am wondering if the cable internet operators have decent internet. If not, I think I will ask the person to go for Airtel.
Yes. Definitely. While mtnl linesmen are not highly knowledgeable, recently it seems most problems are sorted from the call centre. I don't know if they have become better, but unless your modem fails (the power adapter of mine once blew) the internet stays on. There has been a gradual change. I agree that Airtel guys will be more knowledgeable. That's an option too.

Local cable network- I never had any experience with them, but my friends say it is decent and cheaper alternative to mtnl/Airtel.
Old 16th August 2015, 11:31   #599
BHPian

Using ACT in Domlur, Bangalore for last three years. There hasn't been a single day downtime for me. Consistently get 20 Mbps for download and upload.

My bill comes to 1100 including taxes.

Only grouse is that frequently the connection logs out without any indication to the user. Then you have to visit portal.acttv.in and login with your user-id to connect to the Internet again. It happens once in two weeks roughly or if you've left your connection unused for a long duration (say a week).
Old 16th August 2015, 12:14   #600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
Using ACT in Domlur, Bangalore for last three years. There hasn't been a single day downtime for me. Consistently get 20 Mbps for download and upload.

My bill comes to 1100 including taxes.

Only grouse is that frequently the connection logs out without any indication to the user. Then you have to visit portal.acttv.in and login with your user-id to connect to the Internet again. It happens once in two weeks roughly or if you've left your connection unused for a long duration (say a week).
You can setup your router to login via pppoe. Google for act broadband autologin. No need to go to the page everytime.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks