Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2004, 01:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Team Fiat @ Sep. 08 2004,01:54)]Man the only weights I lift are my tools when Im with my car:laugh:
good one
Old 12th September 2004, 03:47   #32

ok... i am not into weight lifting or body buildong at all. The only weights i do is during weight training to supplement my athletics training.
But let me try to clear up some concepts.
there are 3 sources of energy - carbs, fats and protiens.
Carbohydrates are the principal source of energy IRRESPECTIVE of the kind of exercise. Once the carbs get depleted the fats are taken up and then protiens.
The principal function of protiens is not to give energy but to help repair the wear and tear of the body. So they do help in building muscle but taking excess protiens WILL NOT build more muscle. The body utilises whatever it requires and excretes the rest. When we lift wieghts the number of muscle cells do not increase. The existent cells hypertrophy (increase in size) to adjust to the increased stress.
*An ideal diet should contain 30% protiens, 40-50% carbohydrates and 20-30% fats.
*Carbohydrates are found in sugar, potatoes, rice, wheat, etc. and milk and milk products.
*Egg is a great source of protiens but the EGG WHITE contains the max protien while the egg yolk is high in fats esp cholesterol.
*milk, fish, meat, dals are good sources too.
Fat i dont need to tell u about.
*Before any of u start taking supplements i would advise u to take expert advise preferably from a health professional.

Some side effects of taking excess protiens:
1)excreted through the kidneys long term use causes more load may lead to renal failure
2)each gram of protien metabolite needs 15 ml of water to excrete it from the body hence leads to dehydration
3)all excess sources of enrgy if not utilised get stored as fat.

These are just few things *wanted to clear out. I do not know anything about body building so i cannot tell u what to do. Just that whatever u do be well informed about it and take opinion from a trainer experienced in such stuff.

alap.
Old 12th September 2004, 15:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

ya thats perfectly right what bevada posted. Couldn't put it in a better way but he missed out some things:

Fats are important for the body coz they help in production of certain hormones and its also important for the proper functioning of the body. You must not ignore fat completely in your diet.

A recent study has shown that for people who want to lose fat have to eat fat. Most people cut fat completely when trying to lose fat. When the body doesn't get enough fat from your diet, it tends to convert some amount of what you eat into fat and store it.

And the last point what bevada posted is VERY VERY important. There are some basic strategies to get your goal. You have to choose the right one and only a professional trainer can help you in doing that.
Old 24th January 2005, 02:40   #34
RJK
Senior - BHPian

PPl,

Any idea how much a jar of Optimum whey protein cost? 5lbs? I'm thinking of buying one & have no idea as to how much it costs.
Thanks.
Old 24th January 2005, 07:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

abt Rs.500 (try nutramen)
Old 24th January 2005, 10:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

ON Whey Protein costs

Rs 1400 [2 lbs]
Rs 2500 [5 lbs]
Rs 4650 [10 lbs]

If you are looking to gain mass, you can try going in for ON Serious Mass

Rs 3300 [12lbs]

Another very good overall supplement, Prolab N-Large 2. Will check the prices n post later
__________________________________________________ _____________________
all prices are checked at a local supermarket
Old 24th January 2005, 11:44   #37
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Hey thanks Gordon. I'm not looking to gain mass..infact i've to shed a little off my abdomen. If you could tell me where I could get this I would be glad. Coz one of my trainers said that he could give it to me for 1800 bucks..the 2lbs wala. So I thought why not check out the prices before buying it. As it turns out it costs 400 bucks less eh?
Old 24th January 2005, 17:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

1800 is tooooooooooooooooo expensive, coz abroad you get the 2lbs for about Rs 1000. Here you get it for Rs 1400. The address of the supermarket is :

Lo Price Supermarket,
Opp Pratap Society,
J.P. Road,
7 Bungalows,
Andheri (West),
Mumbai - 400053.

For losing fat, you can take Whey Protein, since it has almost no carbs [1g I guess]. And whey protein is the best from only ON [Optimum Nutrition]. Its rated number one. Its also got about 5g of Glutamine, which is very good. The key is a high-protein diet, low carb and low fat. Six meals in a day, small meals. It will also depend on your metabolism how you get results. I'm a hard gainer, or you can also say ectomorph. It takes me very very long to gain anything, but very easy to lose.
Old 25th January 2005, 12:52   #39
BHPian

dude dun take supplements i gym too but i dun advice supplements jus eat bananas before gym and eggs after gym and eat good homely food trust me ulll have a nice physique
Old 25th January 2005, 13:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

You can make a good physique without supplements too, you can reach your goals or get some results too. But then you will have to be very strict on your diet and a person looking to gain weight and muscle mass also, will have to eat such a large diet that is very very difficult to follow each day. You might even get bored of eating the same thing everyday. You might not feel like eating too.

There is nothing wrong with dietary supplements. Supplements will not cause you any trouble unless you have them in the recommended dose or below that. Supplements will help you because instead of eating such a large diet, you can supplement a small part of your diet with supplements. You'll get about 25g of protein in that one shake.
Old 25th January 2005, 16:27   #41
BHPian

but remember suplements are suplementing your body so wahat you have is supplemented while if u work hard fer ur goals youll have a more permanent effect atleast you wont get flabby after quiting supplememnts....take my advice ..jus b e happy with what you have ... and what ur body is capable of developing.... supplements big no no...nuin comes widout hard work
Old 25th January 2005, 17:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

Its not that if you leave supplements, you get a flabby body. You will lose muscle mass for a simple reason that your daily intake of protein, vitamins, minerals, etc decrease considerably. After quitting supplements, if you continue with a good diet you will not lose anything.

Most people have misconceptions that if you take supplements, its a fake body, its useless, etc. Supplements have no problems at all. You can even say that for Anabolic Steroids. They aren't bad, there are specific rules to take them. You cannot overdo it.

Anabolic Steroids if taken too much and if you abuse yourself with it, you'll end up in a very bad state.

Accept the fact, anything taken in overdose is bad for you. Water, Vitamins, Minerals, Protein, Fat, Carbs, Creatine, Glutamine, etc. You take anything in excess quantities, it can even result to a lot of complications and may also be fatal.
Old 25th January 2005, 20:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

bevada]Some side effects of taking excess protiens:

1)excreted through the kidneys long term use causes more load may lead to renal failure
2)each gram of protien metabolite needs 15 ml of water to excrete it from the body hence leads to dehydration
3)all excess sources of enrgy if not utilised get stored as fat.
These are just few things *wanted to clear out. I do not know anything about body building so i cannot tell u what to do. Just that whatever u do be well informed about it and take opinion from a trainer experienced in such stuff.alap.[/quote]just an advice ..i was one a heavy workout schedule for a year n a half ..

i was on protein supplement diet ... i admit the gains i got in lean mass was gr8 coz i have an athletic build .. but once u switch off protein supplements ..u lose shape and mass like crazy ... this happened to me .. i quit for 3 months and everything was gone ..

also very important to choose the rite type of protein ..must be very high quality ..prolab ,muscletech and twinlab are the top brands ...

prolab packs the best creatine at the moment
nitrotech - by muscle tech is a gud composite supplement but expensive around 4ks INR ..
supplements helps alot no dbout but to gain muscle weight one must increase the frequency of meals a day .. n ofcourse heavy workout ..

protein requirement for after a heavy workout is anywhr from 32 to 50 grams protein a day ...

cheers
Old 3rd March 2005, 19:52   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
1. Ectomorphs - these are the skinny kind of people who, no matter how much they eat have the ability to burn it all without much excercise. Eg: Basketball players

2. Mesomorphs - these are the medium sized people who have a body thats genetically inclined towards body definition. They can put on weight but can control it very easily. Eg: Gymnasts

3. Endomorphs - these are big guys, the Maybachs among human beings. They can put on a lot of weight in the shortest possible time and will have a hard time getting the fat out of their bodies. Eg: Sumo Wrestlers.
To know exactly about body types, check out the following link:

http://bodybuildingpro.com/bodytypeinformation.html
Old 3rd March 2005, 20:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

About Steroids, they are safe IF (REPEAT IF) taken and cycled properly. But it is tooo risky, the side-effects and results you may recieve can be horrific. It is actually not worth the risk. However, if everything goes right [IF!!!] then you can turn out to be awesome!! If not, you'll be suffering all your life (READ short life).

Always remember, Steroids and Dietary Supplements are very different. They are in no way similar to each other. They are way apart. Both need to suit your body to get proper results. Dietary supplements are much much safer than steroids.

To know more about Steroids, click below:

Drugs Vs Natural
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/johndrug.htm

Most Viewed