Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2008, 11:26   #781
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
If you are not working out regularly. Avoid the mass gainer like plague.
Its got a high percentage of carbs(approx 60%). Simply put, extra carbs convert to fat. Isopure is good whey. Any good brand of whey with a 90% protein content is good. You can also use it to supplement your regular protein requirement while travelling.
Whey also works wonders when you are sick, when your body processes are down and it promotes faster recovery.
i havent been working out regularly now but i do plan to start going 4-5 times a week. would you still recommend i forget mass gainer? (not that im thin like a stick, lol im 89kgs and 6'4").

i guess ill stick to iso pure. which one would be better, low carb or zero carb?
Old 9th November 2008, 11:27   #782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
anyone care to answer this?? please?

edit: just saw your new post,

would suggest you to stick to a protien suppliment, althought isopure is an overall good suppli, why not something like 100% whey??

Last edited by aadix : 9th November 2008 at 11:28.
Old 9th November 2008, 11:37   #783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i havent been working out regularly now but i do plan to start going 4-5 times a week. would you still recommend i forget mass gainer? (not that im thin like a stick, lol im 89kgs and 6'4").

i guess ill stick to iso pure. which one would be better, low carb or zero carb?
I still suggest staying away from the weight gainer. The carbs in it can be got from your diet too. you would rather put that money to good use geting a 100%whey. Isopure zero carb is better. Since you are having it post workout, you can havea fruit/s to complement your post workout carb requirement.
Old 9th November 2008, 11:44   #784
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
edit: just saw your new post,

would suggest you to stick to a protien suppliment, althought isopure is an overall good suppli, why not something like 100% whey??
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
I still suggest staying away from the weight gainer. The carbs in it can be got from your diet too. you would rather put that money to good use geting a 100%whey. Isopure zero carb is better. Since you are having it post workout, you can havea fruit/s to complement your post workout carb requirement.
thanks guys. is there a particular brand for 100% whey or is it a brand? also does this have more protein than isopure? i remember that whey gold or whatever has 24gms of protein and isopure has 48gms?
Old 9th November 2008, 12:03   #785
Senior - BHPian

About Supplements:
The problem is that most people take supplements as a shortcut. There are no shortcuts. A supplemet is exactly what it stands for - supplementing.
It is essential that before anyone consider taking supplements, one must first start increasing natural intake from natural sources. Increase natural intake of protein sources first. This increases the bodys natural ability to metabolise and process higher amounts of food. Proteins are also harder to digest requiring more calories from the body to digest and process it. Thus, you also burn fat in the process of digestion. It also gives time for your digestive system to catch up and also improves your assimilation of nutirents from the food you eat.
If this is not done and one directly takes supplements then that does nothing to improve the other processes involved in developing your body, regardless of your goal(weight loss/fitness/sports/bodybuilding). Without a strong foundation the building will eventually fall.
Taking supplements also improves your performance. So you can do more cardio , lift more and lift heavier, train longer too. BUT BUT, the muscles, tendons and ligaments take time to adapt to these suddenly increase in stresses both physical & physiological stress. Eventually they never fully recover and adapt resulting injuries in either short or long term inspite of following good posture and training principles.
So friends, whether you are an enthusiast or an ameteur. Its always good to build a strong foundation.

When you stop training, you also stop your supplements. So suddenly the body does not have sufficient calories to maintain all the muscle gains that you have had over time. Unable to find the nutrients enough to maintain this extra muscle, the body begins breaking down all the extra gains that it does not need and cannot support. Therefore those people who take supplements and eventually stop it report weight/muscle loss.

If you have a Ferrari, performance needs more fuel.
If you drive a maruti you can thrive on economy. Both have their own place and are means to an end.
There is nothing wrong with supplements. Even a new born has supplements till they are 2-4 yrs old. (Farex, cerelac etc).
The purpose and need defines the kind of requirement.

Therfore, choose wisely and strike a balance.
cheers:
J
Old 9th November 2008, 12:05   #786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks guys. is there a particular brand for 100% whey or is it a brand? also does this have more protein than isopure? i remember that whey gold or whatever has 24gms of protein and isopure has 48gms?

100% whey is a brand by itself, these days available at all reliance stores,

afaik, isopure has the highest protien content than any regular suppli, but at the same time is equally expensive. i found 100% whey to be an ideal vfm, so i guess it would depend upon your preferences.
Old 12th November 2008, 08:27   #787
BHPian

Ok, for newbies and pros alike, here is the Whey Protein Bible

WHAT IS WHEY AND HOW IS IT MADE?

Whey protein is synthesized from regular whole milk. Earlier, it was often thrown away after "casein" was extracted from milk. Approximately 80% of milk protein is casein, with the remaining 20% being whey. After whole milk is pasteurized, casein and milk fat are separated to make cheese and what remains is whey. Now, this whey goes through specialty filters that separate it into whey and lactose. This concentrated liquid whey goes to an "ion exchange" tower that further increases its concentration. Whey is considered "pure" at this point, after which it is dried in a drying tower.

TYPES OF WHEY PROTEIN

There are basically 2 types of Whey protein:

1. Whey Protein Isolate (Cross Flow Microfiltered or CFM / Microfiltered / Ion Exchange): This is the purest form of Whey protein. This type of Whey is approximately 90% protein, with very low fat and lactose. This is the best type of Whey available.

2. Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC): While this is indeed Whey protein, the amount of protein can vary from as high as 90% to as low as 50%, the rest made up of fat, lactose, caseinate etc.

WHO SHOULD USE WHAT?

As mentioned above, Whey Protein Isolate is the best form of Whey available but it has one problem; IT IS EXPENSIVE! This, in my opinion, is the only reason to choose WPC over Isolate. Secondly, in my experience, some people supplementing with Whey have had problems with digestion, flatulence etc. This can be due to the fact that these individuals are lactose intolerant or their discomfort is due to caseinate. Since Isolate has negligible amounts of both, such people should give it a go before giving up on Whey protein altogether.

People on a budget can use WPC, but it is very important to read the nutritional information on the brand, which they choose to buy. Avoid buying ONLY WPC.

Nowadays, most brands contain a blend of WPC and Whey Protein Isolate e.g. 100% whey (which is not a brand, but is manufactured by Optimum Nutrition or ON) has a blend of Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolates, Ion-Exchange Whey Protein Isolates, Ultrafiltered Whey Protein Concentrate and Hydrolyzed Whey Peptides, as opposed to a Venky's, which is ONLY WPC.

Another issue that I'd like to address here is the sweetner/s added to the protein powder. As far as possible, avoid supplements containing Aspartame, Acesulfame Potassium (Acesulfame K) and choose those with Splenda, Sucralose instead.

Lastly, Brands are only as good as the powder they sell, so ALWAYS look for the quality of protein that you buy and the percentage of protein, with respect to serving size. This is what tells you how much bang you're getting for your buck! So, read the drab, ugly looking nutritional information, instead of being wowed by the bright shiny packaging and the tall claims made by the manufacturer / your friend / your gym instructor ... anyone else.

That's it! if you STILL have queries, feel free to ask anytime. If you want to know which brand is better, GOOGLE IT AND READ THE PRODUCT INFO!

A word of caution: When supplementing with ANY protein, please make sure to up your water intake accordingly; this is VERY important.

Grow in Peace.

Last edited by vikram18 : 12th November 2008 at 08:32.
Old 12th November 2008, 16:44   #788
BHPian

How do you guys track your workouts ? I usually use a small pocket notebook to record my workouts. I came across this website Gyminee.com which looked promising to me. Any comments?
Old 14th November 2008, 19:12   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
How do you guys track your workouts ? I usually use a small pocket notebook to record my workouts. I came across this website Gyminee.com which looked promising to me. Any comments?
There are a lot of websites that offer printable logs, workout as well as diet. For anyone who is serious about tracking progress, I feel both these logs are extremely essential. Nothing fancy required, just two plain notebooks can suffice
Old 14th November 2008, 22:33   #790
BHPian

thanks vikram, care to share few sites that you have checked?
Old 15th November 2008, 10:15   #791
BHPian

I have been taking printable logs from bodybuilding.com i found it very informative. apart from that my gym also provides me something similar!!
Old 17th November 2008, 14:45   #792
BHPian

OK GUys, time to update this thread once agian, I have actually joined the AKHADA, in other the old school gym, no hi-fi machines, everything is free weights. No Cardiovascular exercise systems like treadmills, crosstrainers. Having a nice time. until i get bored of it.

No for my cardio exercises i have joined PDP i.e. Priyadarshini park at Nepeansea Road. They have a good track to jog and run, after 30 mins of interval cardio, WALK-RUN-WALK. Started doing ABS exercises after 2 whole years.let me know if anybody wants to join me for jogs or sprints on tuesdays and thursdays and Sats by 7.00pm. Currently i am planning to compete with the local boys and GIRLS hehe (read: Sprinters) and they are really fast on their 100mts dash. soo lots of things happening.

I have lost around 2.5 kgs in a month. a little comrpomise on the size. but not a problem inshallah il gain it later.
Old 19th December 2008, 16:41   #793
BHPian

guys whats happening here, got my waist down to 34.7, after taking some before and after analysis, i can see my self a little lean then before , keeping my weight the same.

Thanks
Old 19th December 2008, 16:56   #794
BHPian

Good going Sohail. A large waist is always a waste
Old 20th December 2008, 11:56   #795
BHPian

lols Vikram, one more thing i wanted to check , my current schedule is

monday: Chest-tri
tuesday: rest
wednesday: back-bis
thursday : legs
Friday: shoulderss
sat and sun : rest

I think i am lacking a bit more on my triceps in terms of size, should i do a bit of tris along with my shoulders as the tris are getting 3 days rest after the workout. wantd to try this for 2-3 weeks and then find a way where i can do my bis twice a week. Shoulders looks proportionate so not worried about it. Legs look well maintained. Started skipping too, before workout. Also need to reach a peak of atleast 20 pullups can only manage to 10 widegrips. Looking at more strength training. Planning to start of with deadlifts from next week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks