Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2008, 01:36   #736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Does it feel difficult? Like really really "I hate this goddamn treadmill" difficult? If not, increase the intensity. Once you start feeling comfortable at those levels, increase the intensity again. Rinse and repeat over and over for a few months. Intensity could mean a higher speed, steeper incline or both simultaneously.

Finally, once you've been walking for a month or so, start running. At first, it won't be possible for more than a few hundred metres at a stretch. A couple of weeks later, it could be a kilometre. A couple of months later and with sincerity, it will be a few kilometres.
I agree. Its like walk, walk briskly, slow down if you feel very tired, start running, slow down to brisk walk if feeling tired.

Its all about working at a comfortable intensity without overdoing anything. It will increase your stamina and will be able to do better. Just don' stop.
Old 27th October 2008, 16:30   #737
BHPian

Its been time since i posted too many questions LOLS

Just today morning i decided to visit an Old gym in my Area known as Bharat Vyayam Shala (spelling could be wrong), since the gym had a very weird timing of morning 6.30am to 8.30 am and evening 4.30pm to 8.30pm????, anyws located in a pretty old building with just one big hall of with weights, dumbles, machines and other stuff. Outside the gym was a parallel bar Dips Instrument thrusted into the ground. I would say that is Old School. About the training i am thinking to join it just see how different it is from the new ones though look wise there is a huge and huge difference. But then training wise, with no A/c's, just BIG fans, which begs for forgiveness. lols. I also heard about from some of the members of that gym that you need to 1st complete 2 months outside the gym i.e. with ground exercises like parallel bar dips , pushups and pullups only then u get an entry to the main gym HUH?? will find that out today.

The Gym we go to today with A/c's and all types of amenities is new school is'nt it what about the exercises how do we differentiate.

Old School v/s new School Training?? how can this be well explained?? i dont know where i got this words from in terms of training but i am sure it has moved from era to era, i..e from Arnie to Ronnie and so on.

Heart Rate: how many of us follow it?? Frankly saying i never do it, for me the only thing on my mind is 20 minutes intense cardio or just not so intense cardio, i dont spend my time on it. But then, i still see results in me. So i hope its JUST OK if i dont follow the heart rate funda and its calculations.
Old 27th October 2008, 18:32   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Old School v/s new School Training?? how can this be well explained?? i dont know where i got this words from in terms of training but i am sure it has moved from era to era, i..e from Arnie to Ronnie and so on.
It hasn't really moved that far. Ronnie Coleman does the exact same workouts that Arnold used to do (mostly free weights). What has changed is the quality/quantity of AAS used in bodybuilding which gives a bodybuilder twice the gains what Arnold got back then.

Shan2nu
Old 28th October 2008, 11:49   #739
BHPian

Suggest me a good gym in Pune for beginners. I am looking to join it around NIBM.

BTW, is Solaris in Wanwadi good (Quality instructors)?
Old 29th October 2008, 15:46   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
It hasn't really moved that far. Ronnie Coleman does the exact same workouts that Arnold used to do (mostly free weights). What has changed is the quality/quantity of AAS used in bodybuilding which gives a bodybuilder twice the gains what Arnold got back then.

Shan2nu
what has changed is that there more people capitalising on the health fad and unsuspecting consumers falling for it. I have been working out all these years and don't see any differences in workout techniques between what I read in both the arnold encyclopedias and what is preached in gyms. The equipment is more shinier thats all and theres machines which can augment a good old school workout not replace !!
Old 29th October 2008, 16:01   #741
Senior - BHPian

Speaking of modern gyms. Talwalkar's recently opened its branch in Hubli (2 buildings away from our hospital).

My dad, who is a orthopaedic surgeon tells me, off late.....many people have been coming to him regarding joint and muscle pain after working out at the gym.

So its not enough to pay thousands and completely rely on your trainer coz it takes years of experience for trainers to understand the physical limits of others. It does help a great deal to do some research on your own and know whats right and whats not.

Shan2nu
Old 29th October 2008, 18:57   #742
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
My dad, who is a orthopaedic surgeon tells me, off late.....many people have been coming to him regarding joint and muscle pain after working out at the gym.

So its not enough to pay thousands and completely rely on your trainer coz it takes years of experience for trainers to understand the physical limits of others. It does help a great deal to do some research on your own and know whats right and whats not.
These could also be people who have never done any exercise in their lives. It is not uncommon for newbies (to the world of fitness) to experience joint and muscle pain.

If you take a break from your workouts and start with a high intensity, you will also experience pain. Why blame the gym / trainers for that?

Trainers will work with whatever goal one defines - it is the individual's responsbility to not push one's body beyond limits. Any decent trainer will not push you if you tell him you're tired.
Old 29th October 2008, 23:59   #743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you take a break from your workouts and start with a high intensity, you will also experience pain. Why blame the gym / trainers for that?
Thats bcoz a good trainer will consider the fact that you're a newbie and design a workout programme based on your physical condition. If done right, there should be no joint/muscle pain. And im not even talking about Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness which happens 12-24hrs after you workout session, these people are experiencing pain caused due to muscle injury.

Shan2nu
Old 30th October 2008, 08:30   #744
BHPian

How come nobody talks about diet here. Doing just the GYM does not suffice. Your diet should compliment with the nature of exercise you do to achieve better result. The diet chart is different for each people, so I can't give any suggestions here.
The trainer at the GYM should have a clarity and provide you a chart.
I have been suggested to burn 2000 calories per week. This is achieved with 45min of treadmill per day (around 400 calories per day).
I stopped weight training. Don't see much benefit with it.
But with a very organized exercise (mostly treadmill) and diet chart, my body has started showing response.
Old 30th October 2008, 08:47   #745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
have been suggested to burn 2000 calories per week. This is achieved with 45min of treadmill per day (around 400 calories per day).
I stopped weight training. Don't see much benefit with it.
But with a very organized exercise (mostly treadmill) and diet chart, my body has started showing response.
Weight training does help, provided you use the correct amount of weight. Too light and your body doesn't even break a sweat, too heavy and you end up breaking everything in your body. LOL

If you dont want to be very specific with weight training, concentrate on double joint compound exercises such as squats, dead lifts etc where you can target as many muscles as possible with every set. These are great for mass training if you work in the 6-9 rep range and even better for strength gains if you work in the 1-4 rep range.

Heres some more info - Compound Exercises for Maximal Muscle Mass

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 30th October 2008 at 08:50.
Old 30th October 2008, 12:04   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Please advise if my method is right:

I warm up at 3.5km/hr for about 4 mins and get to about 5km/hr. After 10 mins, I move to a 4 step incline at 4.2km/hr. 10 mins later, get back to 5km/hr and continue till 26mins. Cool down for 4 mins at 3.5km/hr. Light stretching exercises after that. Total of 30 mins every day of brisk walking.
Any advise will be helpful.
I also have the following queries:

1. What is the best time to walk? Morning or Evening? I walk mornings since I work from 6pm to 2am.

2. Is it ok to have breakfast before walking? I find my energy levels are far lesser on an empty stomach than after a light breakfast.

3. Does running have a clear advantage over brisk walking? Articles, I read give conflicting opinions.

4. This may sound funny... After a few minutes of walking, I get a electrical charge on my fingers. I get a tingle when I touch a metal part of the treadmill. Is this normal?
Old 30th October 2008, 12:21   #747
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I also have the following queries:

4. This may sound funny... After a few minutes of walking, I get a electrical charge on my fingers. I get a tingle when I touch a metal part of the treadmill. Is this normal?
Static Electricity.
Google it up.
In my case socks were the culprit.
Old 30th October 2008, 16:37   #748
BHPian

You can try https://www.amway.in/Shopping/Produc...Nutrilite#self and https://www.amway.in/Shopping/Produc...&ctg=Nutrilite

Good product. You can try if they suits you. Many GYM trainer do suggest protein diets.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th November 2008 at 16:26. Reason: Will be sending you a PM.
Old 30th October 2008, 19:34   #749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am guessing you wear polyester tracks. do your clothes cling to your body after the workout. I get it all the time in winter because of the heavy coats we wear with polyester lining. it's really fun to come back from outside and give electrifying kisses (literally) to our loved ones .
Old 30th October 2008, 21:28   #750
Senior - BHPian

Well if anyone is trying to lose fat and get a lean body and wants to use any fat burner for that let me know. I know the one which is highly effective and will suggest you the name.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks