Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2008, 09:56   #631
Senior - BHPian

I joined the gym last month. Hardly been there for less than 10 days. This monsoon is making me lazy. The other option that I see is to get married
Old 16th June 2008, 10:19   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post

I currently take Whey and Creatine and they work very well for me. I have used them for 2 years earlier as well without any problems and only gained from them.
Whey and creatine? daily ? what measure? or do you alternate?
im using Isopure. (previously used whey)when i club it with anything else my system goes for a toss
Old 24th June 2008, 21:41   #633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
Whey and creatine? daily ? what measure? or do you alternate?
im using Isopure. (previously used whey)when i club it with anything else my system goes for a toss
I use creatine post workout(2-3 grams)along with a whey protein shake. I have protein 2 times a day. The second time can be anytime but for sure after workout once. I workout only 4 times a week. On the days I'm not working out it can be anytime. After sometime I'll increase protein to 3 times a day.

Last edited by straight6 : 24th June 2008 at 21:44.
Old 24th June 2008, 22:41   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
im using Isopure. (previously used whey)
Isn't Isopure Whey too?
Old 7th July 2008, 19:03   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Isn't Isopure Whey too?
Yes, it is, but you get more protein per serving compared to normal whey and its quite expensive too.
Old 7th July 2008, 19:26   #636
rippergeo

which is better for weight reduction?
burning a total of 200cals at 7.5kmph on the treadmill
or
burning a total of 200cals at 5kmph

or does it not make any difference at all?
agreed, time taken is almost double when walking at 5kmph compared to jogging at 7.5. any other advantages for 7.5?

Old 7th July 2008, 21:33   #637
BHPian

One more advantage you will have better stamina
Old 7th July 2008, 21:48   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
which is better for weight reduction?
burning a total of 200cals at 7.5kmph on the treadmill
or
burning a total of 200cals at 5kmph

or does it not make any difference at all?
agreed, time taken is almost double when walking at 5kmph compared to jogging at 7.5. any other advantages for 7.5?
Fat loss is not dependant on speed, it's dependant on heart rate. Any speed that lets you keep your heart rate between 60-70% of your max heart rate, will give you maximum fat loss benefits.

What i usually do is keep my heart rate at around 145-155 bpm for the first 10 mins, then lower it to 130-135bpm for the next 40 mins or so.

Target Heart Rate Chart for Men

Shan2nu
Old 7th July 2008, 22:36   #639
BHPian

Anybody here aware of HIIT - High intensity interval training? I came across this term few days ago. I tried it last week and found it pretty intense but the amount of calorie burnt using this type practice was high compared to my normal workout in a treadmill.
Old 8th July 2008, 01:53   #640
Senior - BHPian

HIIT is good if you're only trying to lose body weight and improve stamina.

But for guys trying to preserve as much muscle mass as possible while cutting down, it would make sense to take it easy (atleast wrt cardio) as we are already pushing our bodies to the limit with the heavy weights and supersets.

I see so many guys in my gym doing a full round of workouts and then hitting the treadmill for a 20-30min run.......overkill!!! They're never gonna put on healthy levels of muscle mass (which is what they're all trying to achieve).

Shan2nu
Old 8th July 2008, 17:40   #641
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, i know this thread is for losing weight and gaining muscle through a proper channel. But, found about a new weight loss programme and want to take advice on same.

I am 6ft. 1in and about 95kg and desperately trying to reduce weight ( about 15kgs). Gym and walk does not seem to work as due to my schedule don't have much time. Though i still manage to go about 2-3 times a week but no weight loss, just maintaining it.

I saw an advertisment of a tablet made from pineapple extract and it seemed to me like a good alternate option.

If i recall the ad correctly, it works something like this :

Eat one meal : 1000 calories
Take 2 tablets : (- 900 Calories)
So that meal is : 100 calories only

No side effects as tablets are made from natural extracts. Also, money back offer. It costs Rs.2750 for 30 day, 150 tablets, 6 tablets a day, 2 tabs 5 minutes before each meal. 5-6 kgs loss guaranteed or money back.

Infact, they are so confident it loses weight that they recommend taking the tablets once in 2 days.

What do you guys think?
Old 8th July 2008, 17:47   #642
Team-BHP Support

Many Fairness creams show guys and gals getting fair in one day. You can't always believe what you see in advertisements.
So if you fall ill what sort of compensation they offer.
A guy at our gym got none. Instead he had to spend 1000rs in medical expenses as he had to be hospitalized with severe diahrria.
He lost weight all right. 5 days of loose motions will make you loose weight quickly.
Old 8th July 2008, 18:48   #643
BHPian

there are no short cuts to losing weight - I guess most people on this thread will agree that there is a new fab diet or program every other day, however nothing works like good ol muscular endurance and cardio endurance trainings I am not saying all of us are bronzed muscular mr. olympias, but to keep your body fit you need to use your muscles, bones, joints and ligaments and thats the only way to do it right.
I suggest make some time and workout as much as possible. If weekdays is a problem and you can manage 2-3 workouts max over the work-days, have a schedule where you swim, cardio and gym on the weekends too. Results will come based on your diet and workout habits. Don't risk your health with these pineapple pills
good luck and enjoy your workouts
Old 8th July 2008, 20:58   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I saw an advertisment of a tablet made from pineapple extract and it seemed to me like a good alternate option.

If i recall the ad correctly, it works something like this :

Eat one meal : 1000 calories
Take 2 tablets : (- 900 Calories)
So that meal is : 100 calories only
I dont know how the tablet can burn 90% of the calories you eat but even if this was true, you think you can survive on 2 meals worth just 200 calories?

For the body to even survive you need to eat atleast 25-30% of your BMR. I'm 6'2" and my calculated BMR is around 2200-2400 calories a day. So my body needs a minimum of 600-800 calories a day.

With 200-400 calories a day, your body will not be able function properly and lead to complications.

Instead, you can split 1800-2000 calories into 4-5 meals a day (400-500 calories per meal). Make sure you reduce on sugar and fat. Concentrate more on carbs and proteins. Then see how you lose weight.

Shan2nu
Old 8th July 2008, 22:31   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
HIIT is good if you're only trying to lose body weight and improve stamina.

But for guys trying to preserve as much muscle mass as possible while cutting down, it would make sense to take it easy (atleast wrt cardio) as we are already pushing our bodies to the limit with the heavy weights and supersets.

I see so many guys in my gym doing a full round of workouts and then hitting the treadmill for a 20-30min run.......overkill!!! They're never gonna put on healthy levels of muscle mass (which is what they're all trying to achieve).

Shan2nu
This is from Wikipedia and it says quiet opposite to what you have mentioned regarding the muscle mass, doesn't it?

Quote:
Studies have shown this method to be more effective at burning fat and maintaining, or building, muscle mass than high-volume, lower intensity aerobic work-outs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks