Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2008, 23:58   #481
Senior - BHPian

Vivek - How many of us have even 5Liter water a day? Very few? Water Intoxication happens when a person consumes 10 or more liters of water.

@ Sohail - Many people take bath immediately after gymming, specially at the gym itself.
Old 12th January 2008, 00:12   #482
Senior - BHPian

Basically if your on supplements or extra medication its always a good idea to take in a little extra water.

4 Litres daily is a plenty.
Old 12th January 2008, 00:27   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Vivek - How many of us have even 5Liter water a day? Very few? Water Intoxication happens when a person consumes 10 or more liters of water.
look at the notable cases below and all of them are just simple acts gone horribly wrong. and let's not rely on the number of liters as u mention, it's totally dependent on the concentration of salts in body.
Old 12th January 2008, 00:44   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
look at the notable cases below and all of them are just simple acts gone horribly wrong. and let's not rely on the number of liters as u mention, it's totally dependent on the concentration of salts in body.
What do you suggest then.

Quote:
Basically if your on supplements or extra medication its always a good idea to take in a little extra water.
Our in house Arnold Saucemaker has clarified

Last edited by BUSA : 12th January 2008 at 00:45.
Old 12th January 2008, 00:55   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do you suggest then.
I am just making everybody aware of the importance of electrolytes when helping a dehydrated person. if you see below on the same page, there are awareness compaigns on this seemingly harmless issue.

I myself take a lot of water everyday.
Old 12th January 2008, 01:02   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am just making everybody aware of the importance of electrolytes when helping a dehydrated person. if you see below on the same page, there are awareness compaigns on this seemingly harmless issue.
After workout why not have a glass of Glucose? Wont that set the electrolytes right? And dehydration should not happen, if while working out you have water? I used to have glucose while working out but was told my someone not to.
Old 12th January 2008, 02:55   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After workout why not have a glass of Glucose? Wont that set the electrolytes right? .
i don't think so, it says you need sodium and magnesium salts. glucose has none.

Quote:
And dehydration should not happen, if while working out you have water?
if you lose water, u also lose salts. have both together. of course it doesn't matter to healthy adults if we are talking about just 2-3 glases of water. and we don't need to get all paranoid about it.
Old 12th January 2008, 02:59   #488
BHPian

Quote:
After workout why not have a glass of Glucose? Wont that set the electrolytes right? And dehydration should not happen, if while working out you have water? I used to have glucose while working out but was told my someone not to.
Glucose is sugar, not an electrolyte. It's the worst thing any athlete/bodybuilder can have. Sugar intake leads to insulin spikes, which also gives rise to triglycerides which are stored in the body as FAT! Sugar is a pure carbohydrate, with a rating of 100 on the glycemic index!
Old 12th January 2008, 17:36   #489
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Vikram for the clarification.

My gym dietician told me to add salt to the water which i drink in the gym? This was long time back though.
Old 13th January 2008, 10:50   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Glucose is sugar, not an electrolyte. It's the worst thing any athlete/bodybuilder can have. Sugar intake leads to insulin spikes, which also gives rise to triglycerides which are stored in the body as FAT! Sugar is a pure carbohydrate, with a rating of 100 on the glycemic index!
On the contrary Dextrose seems to be used quite frequently as a post-workout carb supplement along with whey during the bulking and heavy bulking phase for BB.

Im not debating your knowledge on the subject Vikram as I know your qualified in the field
Old 13th January 2008, 11:01   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
On the contrary Dextrose seems to be used quite frequently as a post-workout carb supplement along with whey during the bulking and heavy bulking phase for BB.

Im not debating your knowledge on the subject Vikram as I know your qualified in the field
Dextrose is most often used as a delivery system for Creatine, which by default is used by almost everyone bulking up nowadays. If you have a look at the Whey supplements, almost all of them use a sugar substitute :Splenda, Acesulfame Potassium, Aspartame, Natrol etc. Mass gainers contain these carbs as a cheap way to add to the calorific content of their product, but this is far from recommended. Almost no serious bodybuilder will include dextrose/sugar as part of his nutritional program. With the exception of long distance runners or some such, i don't see dextrose doing any good to anybody.

I'm sure you know this but I'll clarify just for the general populace:
Sugar is absorbed by every cell of your body. When you ingest a large amount of sugar, your blood sugar shoots up (obviously). Then, your pancreas secrete an inordinately large amount of Insulin to counter this rise in blood sugar. This is called an "insulin spike". This actually causes a crash and leaves you feeling low, as the insulin neutralizes all this excess sugar. And then again, an insulin spike leads to fat storage.

Insulin and IGFs (Insulin-like Growth Factors) are very important for increase in size, but ingesting pure sugar isn't quite the way to go about it.

I agree that it is very popular for most gym noobs to gulp down Glucon-D or Gatorade and then strut about like studs but that's really not going to get them either huge or ripped!
Old 13th January 2008, 11:05   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Vikram for the clarification.

My gym dietician told me to add salt to the water which i drink in the gym? This was long time back though.
If i remember correctly, the average human body needs about 1/16th of a teaspoon of common salt a day for proper functioning! That is seriously VERY little salt. What your body loses, and probably requires, after exercise are salts like potassium etc. which are not present in common salt.

Dieticians are all right in their place but you need to take what they say with a pinch of salt
Old 13th January 2008, 11:16   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
If you have a look at the Whey supplements, almost all of them use a sugar substitute :Splenda, Acesulfame Potassium, Aspartame, Natrol etc. Mass gainers contain these carbs as a cheap way to add to the calorific content of their product, but this is far from recommended.
Correct on all accounts (not that I expected anything less from you )

Iv always used aspartame free products from the start, now companies have begun to use it as a marketing gimmick Never bothered with mass gainers and try to steer people away from it as far as possible.
Old 14th January 2008, 21:02   #494
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I have a query too. I haven't been working out well since my son was born, .i.e around 2 years, so the query goes back to those days. planning to start it again soon.

anyway, the question is, what is the best way to combine jogging, swiming and weight training. I tend to do them all on different days.

Also, the reason i can't do them together is that i don't have enough energy to do the other after i am done with one. e.g. after runing for 15-20 mins, i can't go to the weights. what should be the strategy to boost the energy level, (if at all mixing them up is advised). I am lean built, and not looking for adding bulk anymore. just want to keep myself fit, and occasional heavy lift jobs should be easily doable.

for the records, I worked out between 2000-2005 (moderately regular), gone from 47kg to 57 kg (good from my standards, since my weight doesn't change easily) and stay between 55-60 now.
Old 15th January 2008, 11:07   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what is the best way to combine jogging, swiming and weight training. I tend to do them all on different days.
Do you want to do all of them on the same day? AFAIK you should do cardio and weight on different days, so the day you do swimming, you need not do weight training, jogging can be done in the morning and weight training in the evening, but all 3 on a single day is not a good idea IMO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks