Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2007, 16:08   #391
BHPian

That's It? Why Does This Work?
Yes, that's it! It may sound crazy to somebody who is used to doing 30 sets for biceps and working out 6 days per week. Even crazier is lifting 6 days per week and not growing! Stop thinking that more is better! If you are a natural bodybuilder, you will not have near the recovery of a steroid user. Somebody on steroids can lift 6 days per week without overtraining, but you can't.

Many bodybuilders who are used to high volume training would laugh at a bodybuilder who does one set per exercise and only works out three days per week. I ask them how many times a week they work their biceps.
Almost always, they say once per week on "Bicep Day". Once per week!? So they work their biceps, then they let them rest for 7 days in a row? After 1 or 2 days, their biceps are no longer sore... yet the wait another 5 or 6 days to work them again. Their biceps are slowly shrinking during this long rest period.

In our workout you isolate each bodypart THREE times per week with a full, heavy set. You hit it on Monday, let it rest one day, hit it on Wednesday, let it rest, hit is on Friday and then give the poor muscle a two day break... before starting the cycle again. So we work our biceps (and all muscles) three full times per week which is 12 times per month. They work their biceps 12 times in 3 months! And they call us lazy...

Why is this good for muscle building? Think about when you build a callous on your hand. If you were to rub your hand until it was cut and started bleeding, then wait a week, then do it again, you would simply have a scar. On the other hand, if you were to rub it a little each day or every other day, it would slowly build up a resistance to the rubbing, thus forming a protective callous. This is the same idea with our workout.

Another interesting thing is that people who do 12 sets per body part usually do not go to full failure on each set. This would be almost impossible as it would nearly kill them!
They will usually do their first few sets with ease because in the back of their mind they are saving their energy for the last few sets. Most of their sets are worthless since they are not going to failure. How often do you see somebody in your gym perform a full, ***** to the wall set, where they are almost about to die from the pain and effort. Not often.

Usually these people are just going through the motion, getting a good "burn", while making a few grunts. Then they walk out feeling better than you because they did 12 sets for biceps and you only did one. Your muscles will only grow if they are forced too! Otherwise, we would all have huge legs just from walking around all day.

Our workout LOOKS easy on paper, since you are only doing one set per exercise. Trust me, if you go to failure on each exercise, you will be more physically exhausted than ever before. Usually, a person works just one or two muscles groups. They walk out of the gym with burning biceps or triceps. With our workout, your entire body is being worked. You will walk out with every muscle screaming at you

Last edited by vikram18 : 6th September 2007 at 16:10.
Old 6th September 2007, 16:11   #392
BHPian

Tips On Each Exercise
Here are some tips for each exercise.

Squats Since this is your first exercise, you may want to do 2 or 3 short and easy warm up sets to get ready. This will be your hardest exercise most likely, so we put it at the beginning so you can throw everything you can at it. Lifting to failure on squats means almost falling down on your last rep. Be sure to go all the way down and have a partner or rack there to help you if needed.

Leg Extensions Use a full range of motion. Go all the way up and all the way down.

Leg Curls Use a full range of motion and do not "jerk" the weight up.

Dumbbell Pullovers Your first upper body exercise. Be sure to do a good warm up set so you do not injure yourself. Lift heavy and do not rest at the top of the movement.

Barbell Overhead Shoulder Press Do these in front of your face, not behind the neck. You can injure your rotator cuff when doing them behind the neck. Go down until the bar is about at chin level, not lower. Slow, slow, slow reps!

Seated Rows Keep your back straight up and down. Do not move far forward or lean far backwards. You want to be squeezing together your shoulder blades!

Bench Press Slowly, go down and touch your chest around your nipple area. Do not use momentum to get the weight up. Use a spotter and get an extra rep with his help to really blast the muscle.

Barbell Bicep Curls Do not sway! Keep your elbows at your side and do not move them. Squeeze your biceps upward.

Tricep Extensions Keep your body straight up; do not lean over too much.

Weighted Pullups If you can't do pull-ups, do pulldowns. Do these slowly and go all the way up and down. Use the wide-grip bent bar.

Weighted Dips Strap on the weight! Keep your body straight up and down, do not lean over too much. You want to be working your triceps, not your lower chest.

Standing Calf Raises Go all the way down and up. Don't use too heavy of a weight where you can only do partial reps. Feel the burn!

Abs Choose a good exercise that uses some resistance. Don't work your abs on any off days. Abs are normal muscles just like your shoulders and chest!

Last edited by vikram18 : 6th September 2007 at 16:22.
Old 6th September 2007, 16:23   #393
BHPian

Nutrition and Supplements

As you may have heard, nutrition accounts for at least 70% of your success. Try to build a brick house without bricks! It ain't happening. Your body can not build without building blocks like protein.
Your body must also have a positive calorie balance so that your body is in weight gaining mode. The important thing is to be sure that you are getting enough calories and protein. If you aren't gaining, up your calories until you are.
Cardio?
It is recommended that you keep your cardio down while doing this workout program. This is a bulking workout to use when you want to gain muscle mass. The more calories and energy you put towards cardio or other types of exercise, the less ability your body will have to grow muscle.
If you must do cardio, keep it to no more than 20 minutes at a time, three days per week. Save the cardio for your cutting cycle!
Old 6th September 2007, 16:43   #394
BHPian

hi vikram18 what a superb workout plan you have charted out
Old 6th September 2007, 17:11   #395
Senior - BHPian

Vikram - That is a awesome piece of information, thanks so much for sharing.

I workout for around 1 and a half hours a day, usually dont take rest as my body doesnot pain, but when it does i do take a day off, i did legs day before yesterday, they are painin quite alot even today.

What i did for legs.

Squats
Warm up - 1 x 20 - 10kgs
1 x 10 - 20kgs
1 x 8 - 30kgs
2 x 6 - 40kgs

Legs Press
1 x 10 - 70kgs
1 x 10 - 80kgs
1 x 10 - 90kgs

Leg Extension
1 x 10 - 90kgs
1 x 10 - 100kgs
1 x 10 - 110kgs

Len Curls
1 x 10 - 70kgs
1 x 10 - 80kgs
1 x 10 - 90kgs

Standing Calf
1 x 20 - 20 kgs
1 x 20 - 30 kgs
1 x 15 - 50kgs

Seated Calfs
1 x 20 - 90kgs
1 x 15 - 105kgs
1 x 15 - 120kgs

@ Vikram - What do you think about doing supersets?
Old 6th September 2007, 17:23   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Vikram - That is a awesome piece of information, thanks so much for sharing.

@ Vikram - What do you think about doing supersets?
My pleasure guys. The training program mentioned above is a basic sensible Mass gain program. Isolated exercises, tri-sets, supersets work, but they're for more advanced bodybuilders, who've already achieved a fair amount of muscle mass and are targeting very specific areas WITHIN a muscle, say the peak of the biceps or particular striations in the quads, stuff like that. Leave those to the Pros for now. We'll have you doing those once you gain around 20Kgs or so of lean muscle mass
Old 6th September 2007, 18:04   #397
Senior - BHPian

Thanks alot Vikram, need to follow what you say asap and build mass.

Currently i have a 4 day workout schedule, how do i fit it in a week with rest?
Old 6th September 2007, 18:23   #398

hi.. pls dude try n avoid supplements, especially fat burners. They all have side effects.. Just concentrate on doing a lot of cardio, a little of abs, and maintain a healthy diet. Do not go on a hunger strike (complete dieting) because you will also loose out on your energy levels. Keep patients as this is a long process. But i bet you results without using suppliments will satisfy you much more..Stay Healthy bye
Old 6th September 2007, 18:43   #399
BHPian

Vikram the right Man: Im so greatful to you dude for your great pointers , thanx a million have already taken prints with me...wil help somebody... atleast in my gym...

Now about my self: 3 years of exercise,Current Sceneraio 5.11ft tall, 83kgs weight, 33-34 inch waist, arms 15inches, chest 39-40, rest dont remember, good bulk enough but wanted to get a little ripped, with shape, a little flab on the Obliques and lower ab,since ramzaan coming in no ripping but bulking, hence will take your workout for myself.

Workout Scene: monday Chest
Tuesday back
Wednesday Shoulders
thrusday Cardio
Friday biceps
saturday triceps
Sunday outdoor game (volley Ball)

workout without anybody's touch or support all self repetitions, keeping between 12-15 for ripness.

So should there be a change & do as you have stated , body has a good failure level body part. Example Barbell bicep curls Failure at 50lbs each side 9 reps wit h a little help in the last 3

During Ramazaan, day starts at 4.30-5 in the morning, with Breakfast, then no food and water until sunset. The first drop of water will be dropped in the throat at sunset, then fruits some pakodas , juices, then rest for an hour, then a little sweet and then pray for around 45 minute to an hour, then thoda munching (example juice and snack) again and then Gym and then eat and sleep. Then the next morning the routine starts at 4.30-5.

Lots of junk food intake during this month lols thanks to Bhendi Bazaar and Mohd.Ali road all night long food festival hehehe.
Old 7th September 2007, 00:03   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
My pleasure guys. The training program mentioned above is a basic sensible Mass gain program.
I was reading all your posts with interest until I read this line

Quote:
The most important thing is that you lift to absolute FAILURE! This is not an option.
It rang a bell and I googled for the website where I read this before and voila, its word for word from this site
Bodybuilding.com - 3-Day Workout Program For Quick Mass! Full Guide!

I would appreciate if you mention links of websites where you are quoting from, especially if it is word to word.

I am not accusing you of being a fake or anything, you come across as very knowledgeable person and your posts are very informative, but it is general internet etiquette to quote sources especially if you are a pro in the same field.

Now for the actual post, you wrote/quoted

Quote:
Studies have shown that after 47 ½ minutes of intense weight training, your cortisol levels shoot up.
Couple of months back when I first read this on the website, I was surprised and did a bit of research to find the mentioned studies and I couldn't find any. Also on observation I noticed that both beginners and experienced pro body builders workout for more than 1 hr and that too multiple sets with increasing weights. May be this 1 set max weight routine will work for some minority, but I pretty sure it is not for the majority gym goers. I would be glad if I am proven wrong.
Old 7th September 2007, 00:24   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
I was reading all your posts with interest until I read this line

It rang a bell and I googled for the website where I read this before and voila, its word for word from this site
Bodybuilding.com - 3-Day Workout Program For Quick Mass! Full Guide!

I would appreciate if you mention links of websites where you are quoting from, especially if it is word to word.

I am not accusing you of being a fake or anything, you come across as very knowledgeable person and your posts are very informative, but it is general internet etiquette to quote sources especially if you are a pro in the same field.

Now for the actual post, you wrote/quoted

Couple of months back when I first read this on the website, I was surprised and did a bit of research to find the mentioned studies and I couldn't find any. Also on observation I noticed that both beginners and experienced pro body builders workout for more than 1 hr and that too multiple sets with increasing weights. May be this 1 set max weight routine will work for some minority, but I pretty sure it is not for the majority gym goers. I would be glad if I am proven wrong.
I've been collating stuff for over a decade and I'm really sorry if I don't remember the source. Most if not all pro bodybuilders are anabolic steroidal freaks of nature and hence their workouts and recovery are off the scale. The 1 set routine is for outright Mass gain, not to be done all your life! you stop once you achieve your goals and anyways, even the exercises will change periodically in order to shock your muscles into new growth.
Again to clarify, I'm certified coz it's my passion; I'm not a professional...have never charged anyone a single Rupee and have always given good advice.

Last edited by vikram18 : 7th September 2007 at 00:29.
Old 7th September 2007, 00:26   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
Lots of junk food intake during this month lols thanks to Bhendi Bazaar and Mohd.Ali road all night long food festival hehehe.
Tell me about it man...I miss Mumbai like hell during Ramzaan. I'm a hard core foodie and this month is like paradise for me. The only flipside is that I eat well all day and then pig out at night
Old 7th September 2007, 00:37   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Thanks alot Vikram, need to follow what you say asap and build mass.

Currently i have a 4 day workout schedule, how do i fit it in a week with rest?
Try this:
The 4-Day Workout
Day 1 – Quad Dominant Legs, Chest, Triceps

Squats/ Leg Press
Bent Leg Deadlift
Lunges
Calf Raises

Bench Press (Flat)
Incline Press
Flat Bench Pullovers

Dips
Lying Triceps Extensions (Skull crushers)/ Seated Dumbbell
One Arm Pulley Pull down/ Kick backs

Day 2 – Back, Shoulder, Biceps

Pullups
Lat Pulley Pull down
Bent Over Rowing / Seated Rowing (Alternate every Workout)

Front Barbell Press
Dumbbell Lateral Raises
Shrugs

E-Z Curls/ Barbell Curls
Dumbbell Hammer Curls (Thumb-Up)
Forearm Reverse Curls / Wrist Curls (Alternate every Workout)

Day 3 – Cardio and Abs or Rest

Day 4 – Hip dominant Legs/ Chest/ Triceps

Squats/ Leg Press
Stiff Leg Deadlift
Calf Raises
Bench Press (Flat)
Incline Press
Flat Bench Pullovers

Dips
Lying Triceps Extensions (Skull crushers)
One Arm Pulley Pull down / Kick Backs

Day 5 – Repeat Day 2

Day 6 – Cardio and Abs or Rest

Day 7 –OFF

Disclaimer: This, to the best of my knowledge, is entirely devised by me. I have NOT googled this for plagiarism and have no intention of doing so either.
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]

Last edited by vikram18 : 7th September 2007 at 00:42.
Old 7th September 2007, 11:12   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Tell me about it man...I miss Mumbai like hell during Ramzaan. I'm a hard core foodie and this month is like paradise for me. The only flipside is that I eat well all day and then pig out at night
Vikram Lets discuss the best part in the Mumbai eating out thread... what say... Slurp Slurpppp
Old 7th September 2007, 17:47   #405
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Vikram i currently am trying to gain mass and want to put on weight since i am 68 and should be 82 or so.

Most Viewed