Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2007, 00:28   #241
Senior - BHPian

@ Sohail, this is my current plan, tell me how can i implement it.

First day : Chest + Shoulder + Triceps
Declined Barbel Press 2 Sets, S1 - 25 Pounds, S2 - 30 pounds, R - 15
Inclined Dumbell 2 Sets, S1 - 20 pounds, S2 - 25 pounds, R - 15
Peck Deck 2 Sets, S1 - 50pounds, S2 - 60P, R = 15
Cable Cross - 2S, S1 = 20P, S2 = 30P, R = 12
Dumbell Raise - 2S, S1 - 20P, S2 - 25P, R = 15
Lateral Raise - S1 - 12.5P, S2 = 15P, R = 12
Close Grip Bench Press - 2S, S1 = 30, S2 - 40, R = 12
Cable Pulldown, 2S, S1 = 40, S2 - 50, R = 12

Second day : Back + Biceps (2 sets with 15 reps)
Dumbell pull 25P
Cable Cross - 50P
Cable Pulldown (back) - 50P
Seated Rowing - 50P
Dumbell Shrugs - 15P, 20P
Biceps Curl - 10P, 15P
Biceps Side Curl - 10P, 15P
Hammer Curl - 12.5P, 15P

Third Day : Legs (All 2 Sets with 15 Reps each)
Squats, 1st set free weight, second with rod.
Lunges First set free weight, 2nd with 5 pounds
Leg press - 1st - 45P, 2nd - 55P
Leg Extension - 1 - 30, 2 - 40
Leg Extension - 1- 30, 2 - 40
Leg Raise 1st 40, 2nd 50

S = Sets
R = Reps
P + Pounds

Now Sohail & the others can you tell me is this right or i should do more, this is what the trainer has told me but i am not satisfied yet. I want to build on mass and muscle. On this routine since a week.

Last edited by BUSA : 28th May 2007 at 00:39.
Old 28th May 2007, 00:48   #242
BHPian

hey guys i just wanted to know if a person can lose weight and gain muscle at the same time.I m rite now doing 3 days cardio and 3 days of weight training so am i doing right.I have some fat around my belly and around thighs.
Old 28th May 2007, 03:27   #243
BHPian

No no no everything is wrong with this routine. There is too much volume training. Most people are NOT suited for high intensity volume training. There are just too many exercises here. If you take a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
@ Sohail, this is my current plan, tell me how can i implement it.

First day : Chest + Shoulder + Triceps
Declined Barbel Press 2 Sets, S1 - 25 Pounds, S2 - 30 pounds, R - 15
Inclined Dumbell 2 Sets, S1 - 20 pounds, S2 - 25 pounds, R - 15
Peck Deck 2 Sets, S1 - 50pounds, S2 - 60P, R = 15
Cable Cross - 2S, S1 = 20P, S2 = 30P, R = 12
Dumbell Raise - 2S, S1 - 20P, S2 - 25P, R = 15
Lateral Raise - S1 - 12.5P, S2 = 15P, R = 12
Close Grip Bench Press - 2S, S1 = 30, S2 - 40, R = 12
Cable Pulldown, 2S, S1 = 40, S2 - 50, R = 12
You are doing 4 exercises for the chest . Don't do that. Stick to 2 heavy exercises like BB/DB bench press and incline/decline press. Cable crossover and pecdeck are all useless fancy exercises (as are most machine exercises). Your shoulder exercises look fine, but if you just do military press it would be more than enough. When you do chest exercises your shoulder and your triceps also get worked. On top of that you do 2 extra for chest and shoulder you would have a big problem recovering. More exercises != better.

Quote:
Second day : Back + Biceps (2 sets with 15 reps)
Dumbell pull 25P
Cable Cross - 50P
Cable Pulldown (back) - 50P
Seated Rowing - 50P
Dumbell Shrugs - 15P, 20P
Biceps Curl - 10P, 15P
Hammer Curl - 12.5P, 15P
Again again you are doing too many biceps exercises. My advice to newbies is to focus on your back legs and chest and think about biceps only after a year or two of hardcore squats, deadlifts and benches and pullups. As a rule of thumb one shouldn't do bicep exercises until he is able to squat 1.5 times his bodyweight. If you do so many bicep exercises and expect a bicep as big as Hrithik or Salman you will fail.

Quote:
Third Day : Legs (All 2 Sets with 15 Reps each)
Squats, 1st set free weight, second with rod.
Lunges First set free weight, 2nd with 5 pounds
Leg press - 1st - 45P, 2nd - 55P
Leg Extension - 1 - 30, 2 - 40
Leg Extension - 1- 30, 2 - 40
Leg Raise 1st 40, 2nd 50
This looks ok but don't do leg extension. Don't do isolation exercises till you are BIG. BIG as in squatting 1.5 times your body weight. So say you are 100kgs, don't do isolation exercises till you can squat 150kgs. You will just waste your time and money and still be the same size. And you mite "feel" bigger but the pump you get will go away 2-3 days after you stop exercising.
Old 28th May 2007, 03:28   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooldude View Post
hey guys i just wanted to know if a person can lose weight and gain muscle at the same time.I m rite now doing 3 days cardio and 3 days of weight training so am i doing right.I have some fat around my belly and around thighs.
Yes you can do it that should be no problem. Just watch out for bad fats. Best of luck for your training and remember FOCUS on the big lifts.
Old 28th May 2007, 03:36   #245
BHPian

Its not too hard. For people who want to get big its a really simple formula.

In serious weightlifting circles it goes like this:

Lift like a powerlifter + eat like a sumo wrestler + cardio like a pre contest bodybuilder + sleep like a baby = damn huge guy nobody messes around with!

And please google powerlifting routines to see how they become big naturally!
Old 28th May 2007, 07:27   #246
Dillusionalist

Hi,
Well I too am guilty of lazyness...
I used to work out before life took over.
As someone mentioned earlier would you have a problem putting up a "BEFORE" and "AFTER" picture to inspire the rest of us to get off our lazy behinds and go work out again?

Old 28th May 2007, 11:05   #247
BHPian

@ busa: all goood,i love that workout. For your chest + Shoulders +triceps, or for other workouts, what i would suggest is... instead of going to 15 reps as your max, increase your weights moderately and do 10-12 reps for each set, dont go less than that, cos at the same time you also want to build your muscle strength. So i feel your work out is great. Just have more mass building food. Oats really worked out good for me to out on weight and size. Busa Have a break between your workouts like. Workout -rest-workout-rest workout, so you and your body will have enuff time to recover , and on ur rest days , as i said earlier, walk and do abs/obliques

@centro: dude i like that method, lift like a powerlifter, eat like a sumo wrestler etc etc, i do that... at times... . One more thing... if busa wont do his pec dec how will he build his inner pecs ?and cable cross over how do u think he will get shape to his Pecs lower pecs?. What i have known is free weights to build mass, and machine to get shape. So i dont find anything wrong with that. As far as Busa's routine... he is doing pretty good sets with his body type, that also been told to him by his trainer. the moment he stacks some wieghts in the bar or on the dumbell, he will find the difference. He is having a complete body workout. At times not concentrating much on all the body parts , it tends to become weak. So i think he should do this routine atleast for 3-4 weeks with a little more heavier weights.I dont mean to disagree to you by any chance... but i think let him try this for couple of weeks and then he could always change... I appreciate your knowledge dude. It is helping me too...

Last edited by SohailPistawala : 28th May 2007 at 11:06.
Old 28th May 2007, 12:05   #248
Senior - BHPian

I am not a fat person (I think!) , but lately, I am observing that I have acquired an extra layer around my tummy. I dont drink, nor do I eat too much of fried/junk food.
Now here is the hard part, I am too lazy to go to a gym... Though I do sometimes trek up to the ARAI hills in order to trim the flab. The rest of me is quite un-flabby by the way, only trouble is the belly , and that too in the recent (3-4) months. :(. Any solutions?
Old 28th May 2007, 12:12   #249
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Centro & Sohail

Well i have been working out since 2 years(so not exactly a builder) I was 54kgs when i started, now i am 65kgs. My workout before were very half hearted, 30 mins, time pass workout which i used to skip quite a fre times, however looking at this thread and Sohails determination i got a kick in my pants to workout properly.
Old 28th May 2007, 12:15   #250
BHPian

@sajo, go for a jog/run everyday and follow up with stomach crunches. eat dinner atleast 2hrs (or more) before bed. go easy on rice switch to wheat chappatis/rotis
Old 28th May 2007, 13:14   #251
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Centro & Sohail

Well i have been working out since 2 years(so not exactly a beginer) I was 54kgs when i started, now i am 65kgs. My workout before were very half hearted, 30 mins, time pass workout which i used to skip quite a fre times, however looking at this thread and Sohails determination i got a kick in my pants to workout properly. Also my diet before was faulty.

Now i became determined and changed my gym, the trainer told me this type of workout. I asked him why this way, he told me once you gain a bit mass then we will change it. I will be doing this routine for 4 weeks and then changing it, will tell you when i do.

Also Centro after following this workout after doing the whole training i dont feel tired or fatigued so i think i need to make it bit more intense.

Sohail - Yes i spoke to my trainer yesterday itself and he told me to go in for 12reps max, 8-12 is ideal what he told me.

How many sets should i be doing, 2 or 3?

The problem with military presses is that since i dont have well build back, the load comes on my back and it pains for the next 2-3 days.

Quote:
When you do chest exercises your shoulder and your triceps also get worked.
Thats the reason why i am following this routine.

Quote:
Biceps Curl - 10P, 15P
Hammer Curl - 12.5P, 15P
Again again you are doing too many biceps exercises.
I was thinking i am doing less, in my previous gym i used to do biceps and triceps on one day, so i used to do Biceps Curl 5 sets, 10P, 15P, 20P, 25P, 30P. 3 Sets of Dumbell Curl - 10P,15P,20P. Hammer Curl 2 sets 10P, 15P. Thats in all 11 sets, now i do just 6 sets. My trainer in the new gym doesnot advice me dumbell curl, he has told me once you gain mass then we will change it after following this routine.

Quote:
BIG as in squatting 1.5 times your body weight
That means with my current weight i should be squatting 100kgs When going that high on weight i am supposed to use a belt?

Quote:
and on ur rest days , as i said earlier, walk and do abs/obliques
My trainer has advised me not to do abs, he said concentrate on the body parts, you can get the 6 pack later.
Old 28th May 2007, 15:25   #252
BHPian

@busa: If you do 2 sets per exercise, you have mor variations, and more different exercises. I would Suggest you to do 2 sets per exercise. With heavier Weights, let the rest between the two sets be max a MIN.

Military press: there are two ways you could do it, simple ways, Standing or seated Military press. try to do the seated one with a backrest. Apart from this try doing Arnold press they both work on the front delts. Since you are doing you chest - shoulder and triceps combo on monday you have a tuesday to rest until u recover for the back. you reason for following that routine is justified... all pushing exercises on a go, each muscle is corresponding the other while worked upon.

Biceps: Alternating your biceps with a triceps, will definately get you doing more sets. But, when you are doing it with your back you wont be able to pull much for biceps. Cos when your doing your back exercises your already working/pumping on the smaller muscle i.e. biceps, all you need is to pinch that by doing a little biceps exercise, so your doing good.When you doing your pulling exercises you are already working on your biceps.

Squats: Please use The Belt.God Forbid, you dont wana end up with a Soar lower back.When your doing your squats you are already working with your Abs, when you push with your legs, the stomach is getting the pressure.

Just do lights not, too many reps...cos one fine day you decide to do your abs, you wont be able to even laugh from stomach LOLS.

By the way, do a proper stretching after completing your workout, so that there is enough blood circulation for your muscles.

@sajo: Dont drive around your closets, do a lot of walking, after your meals also. walk up the stairs, to work or home. As for food and diet, cheap_deal made it perfect.
Old 28th May 2007, 15:27   #253
BANNED

Hi friends what about steriods are they good? I know one builder who is using them and says if you use properly then no problems and you get huge body, but then I also heard from someone that if you use steroids then your private becomes small and doesn't work properly (ha ha I don't know how else to say this on team-bhp )
Old 28th May 2007, 15:29   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillusionalist View Post
Hi,
Well I too am guilty of lazyness...
I used to work out before life took over.
As someone mentioned earlier would you have a problem putting up a "BEFORE" and "AFTER" picture to inspire the rest of us to get off our lazy behinds and go work out again?
When the going gets touch the tough get going LOLS, comon, get those sport shoes, and gym bag ready....get going dude.... i am sure you wana put the BEFORE & AFTER picture after you hit the gym.
what made u lazy???

Why is life taking you over.... you gota take it over.
Old 28th May 2007, 16:34   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedweednitro View Post
Hi friends what about steriods are they good? I know one builder w...(ha ha I don't know how else to say this on team-bhp )
Stay away from those things. If you are into competition, then you can take a risk if you wish. But my advice would be - don't fool around with such stuff.

This thread rocks. I am trying to get back on track. Have lost 6kgs in two months. I am thirty though and am finding it tough going. You guys are giving me the inspiration I require.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks